Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips, info ideas on training and passing BASI L3

Poster: A snowHead
hey, don't forget me!!!! We'll have to make it the "Fantastic Four". Unfortunately I'm 45 at the end of this month! Don't understand how / why, still feel 25, partly because I keep myself pretty fit.

Background:
Jan 13 - started skiing
2 weeks in the Alps (Jan & Mar 13)
Jul 13 - started weekly race training @ Castleford
Sep 13 - passed BASI L1
Dec 13 - week training with rob@rar & skimottaret in Meribel
Jan 13 - week training with Ru Goldring / ICE in Val
Jan 13 - snowHead pre birthday bash in Kronplatz free skiing
Mar 13 - passed BASI L2 in Chatel with PK

ISIA Training Plan
UKCP1 - managed to squeeze myself in on the Castleford one in June
Second discipline - planning on doing adaptive. Got my eyes on the 8/9 one at Castleford
Common Theory - on the reserves list, but thinking about the 3/11 one at Glenmore
EMS - waiting to see when this becomes available for next winter - not envisaging too many problems with this; I orienteer, compete in Mountain Marathons / fell races / adventure races & teach map skills to Scouts etc and fairly confident that my CV fitness will take the skinning strain (the skinning I've done, was very comfortable at 600m/hour)
200 teaching hours - got 6/200 done already! Started volunteering with Lions ski club at Castleford on a Sunday morning, also had confirmed that 50 / 200 hours can be coaching. Hope to do some weeks with Interski to boost the hours.
Personal performance - not sure exactly what I'm going to do. I continue with the Tuesday night race training (this has made (is making!) a massive difference to my skiing and part of the plan is it gets me prepared for racing when I start ET training! I've got scheduled to do monthly bumps coaching indoors with one of the GB moguls coaches at Castleford once a month (first session this Sunday), plan to get over to Chill Factore for their monthly moguls performance coaching session as well. Did a ski X coaching session at Hemel with Ed Drake last week as well; absolutely brilliant fun. Thinking of entering the English Indoor Ski X champs which are at Chill Factore on 7th June if anyone else fancies it. I've had a chat with touchguru and think I'm going to try and do a week or 2 with Snoworks, maybe some mountain race training and some bits with ICE. Fancy doing some moguls stuff as well, so perhaps we should try and organise something as a fab 4 with Del Chandler. I want to be loving the bumps (which I sort of do, but I'm definitely not at L3 bumps yet & would love to be able to ski a full on rut line like you see the competition guys do it).
Teach / Tech - see this happening 2015/16
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abd, dont want to spam this thread but we will be running an entry level race camp with JJC training next season. This may be an option for race prep for ET and L3 / L4 longs.. Also I could speak with Del regarding some bumps training...

Looks like there may be some ISIA training early November from our good friends at PDS training. was speaking to Mo Duffy a couple days ago and that could be an option as well..

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-05-14 15:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abd wrote:
Jan 13 - week training with Ru Goldring / ICE in Val
Mar 13 - passed BASI L2 in Chatel with PK

Same 2 trainers I had on the Performance & Tech courses, quite different from each other but both excellent Smile Ru taught us some great bumps tactics esp round lines to avoid the holes, useful for those of us who's lower back wouldn't stand a daily thumping through the ruts. Fortunately BASI are now more interested in good technical bump skiing than being strong enough to hang on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
abd, dont want to spam this thread but we will be running an entry level race camp with JJC training next season. This may be an option for race prep for ET and L3 / L4 longs.. Also I could speak with Del regarding some bumps training...

Looks like there may be some ISIA training early November from our good friends at PDS training. was speaking to Mo Duffy a couple days ago and that could be an option as well..

The JJC Sept TT/ET week posted on another thread has me tempted. Wonder if I can do a bit of both!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abd : that is impressive... from zero to hero Very Happy

age is just a number - nothing else !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
balernoStu, Very strong chance that the same week that Craig and I will be running the Performance Camp James will be doing ET training with the more seasoned ET campaigners the same week in Tux April 18-25...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did my (oldie style) Grade 2, now L3 after running out of money so having to get a real job. Bumps, bumps and more bumps. The issue I had was how to remain centred on the ski.... so I practised this by telemarking on the dryslope in leather boots.

I would suggest for second discipline, tele is a good choice as it will rev up your alipine skiing no end ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I would suggest for second discipline, tele is a good choice as it will rev up your alipine skiing no end ...

^ 110%.
Had the pleasure of doing telemark L1 with ski : unlike myself he is pretty good at the old free heeling Wink
Excellent course, even on the dry slope. Learned lots, challenging and good fun.
Going back to being a learner on telemarks really improved my alpine skiing and also ability to coach myself.

IMHO far too many people seem to do adaptive skiing as their 2nd discipline.
I am sure its excellent / rewarding course but perhaps some do it for the wrong reason - because they think it will be easy tick in a box ?
.... rather than pushing themselves a little.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:

^ 110%.
Had the pleasure of doing telemark L1 with ski : unlike myself he is pretty good at the old free heeling Wink
Excellent course, even on the dry slope. Learned lots, challenging and good fun.
Going back to being a learner on telemarks really improved my alpine skiing and also ability to coach myself.

IMHO far too many people seem to do adaptive skiing as their 2nd discipline.
I am sure its excellent / rewarding course but perhaps some do it for the wrong reason - because they think it will be easy tick in a box ?
.... rather than pushing themselves a little.

Tele is my 2nd d. too, got into it in the late 90s as I'd completely plateaued on straight skis. I rarely use them on piste now but still great for Scottish touring. Btw Ski, I met you on a bus in Tignes in Nov Smile Think I also met rjs there as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tbh, I'd love to do tele (I'd also love to do Nordic) as a second discipline, however I'm reluctant to spend a heap of money on another set of kit. I've heard that the guys at ICE reckon that they can get a decent skier to L1 telemark standard in 1 week max from never ever. Trouble is that's an extra week away in the mountains when I can do Adaptive without any extra kit, without much in additional training & without going away. If I could find a way of learning to tele in the UK, I'd seriously consider it.

Ru Goldring reckoned that tele can seriously help your alpine skiing. He had us undo all the buckles & powerstraps on our boots and do stylised tele turns driving the outside ski round the arc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tbh, I'd love to do tele (I'd also love to do Nordic) as a second discipline, however I'm reluctant to spend a heap of money on another set of kit. I've heard that the guys at ICE reckon that they can get a decent skier to L1 telemark standard in 1 week max from never ever. Trouble is that's an extra week away in the mountains when I can do Adaptive without any extra kit, without much in additional training & without going away. If I could find a way of learning to tele in the UK, I'd seriously consider it.

Ru Goldring reckoned that tele can seriously help your alpine skiing. He had us undo all the buckles & powerstraps on our boots and do stylised tele turns driving the outside ski round the arc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Abd - Drop us an email at jjctraining@hotmail.com James Bennett is a telemark trainer and lives right next to Hemel. We could possibly organize something for you if tele is your preference.

Cheers,
Craig
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abd, have a look at this for a taster http://www.lodjur.me.uk/mccsc_new/news/201401_northwest_telemark_festival.htm there a few free heelers at CFe so maybe it's possible there too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks jjc & sarah.

As an aside, Craig, I've been messaging one of you via fbook & email (think it might have been one of the James') re your S&C training programme - any chance of a copy? Also waiting to see details of what PdS will be offering.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On physical condition, a few months ago I started going to a Mixed Martial Arts gym near my office 2 mornings a week for an hours circuit training; there's lots of kettle bells, squats, core and other great stuff to blitz the bod. I tend to stay behind afterwards and do some other stuff: I'm doing 50 box jumps on a 24" high box, pistol squats etc, and going to resume doing hill efforts in my regular runs as well as downhill hoping and jumping downhill (both of which are excellent for CV, balance and quad conditioning for moguls).

At the moment its slightly challenging balancing the ski specific conditioning with getting in shape to run 268 miles up the Pennine Way next January in less than 7 days which is also focussing my mind!
snow report
If you are hoping to be a professional ski instructor then you need to do it full time. Trying to do any pro job and juggle other things will make it nigh on impossible. The target is to leave school 17.5 and instead of going to further education I will have finished level 4 after 4 years. I will probably have a similar debt as if I went uni. Done 2nd discipline ,a season in Japan and now waiting for ACl graft in june. Skiing again in Jan 2015 full time,skiing every day possible. Full time skiing is how to pass level 3 ,then level 4 and of course talent.
snow conditions
The record for previous experience prior to passing a second discipline is one day (that I know of). I know of at least one snowboarder who has done ski level 1 that way and at least one skier who has done snowboard level 1.

I am sure there must be some never-evers out there who have turned-up to a second discipline level 1 and passed...
ski holidays
4hrs of tele before passing at the same time as haggis trap.
snow report
Stephen59, I reckon ski to tele is cheating. Same thing really, isn't it? wink
snow report
Stephen59 wrote:
If you are hoping to be a professional ski instructor then you need to do it full time. Trying to do any pro job and juggle other things will make it nigh on impossible. The target is to leave school 17.5 and instead of going to further education I will have finished level 4 after 4 years. I will probably have a similar debt as if I went uni. Done 2nd discipline ,a season in Japan and now waiting for ACl graft in june. Skiing again in Jan 2015 full time,skiing every day possible. Full time skiing is how to pass level 3 ,then level 4 and of course talent.

Indeed ski teaching is a fantastic opportunity for young people now, in a way that didn't seem possible when I left school. I for one would be delighted to drop my desk job and relocate to the mountains next season, but commitments don't allow it, and I've been hugely fortunate to fit in the skiing, instructing and coaching that I have done this season. Good luck with the ACL, btw, many top skiers seem to have been through that one at some stage.
snow conditions
Quad qualified should be no probs as they all are on snow. If your a pro teacher you should be able to do all 4.
ski holidays
Stephen59 wrote:

Stephen59, full time is certainly one way, but certainly not the only way. There are a few of us on here that can't manage to do full time at present; what with family, business, financial & all manner of other commitments. Whilst doing it part-time might not be ideal / fastest etc, in my opinion it isn't impossible (touchguru has done it recently). I'm amazed at the number of "impossible" things that I've managed to find a way to do!

Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't; either way you are right!
snow report
abd wrote:
Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't; either way you are right!

+100^^ Wise words indeed
snow conditions
Hi Greg,

Here is a summary of my take on this (last post of this thread):

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2496419&highlight=#2496419

I fall into the category you describe, of "... aren't doing seasons/working full time as instructors". To answer your specific questions:

What training you did after your L2

Odd weeks in Cervinia / Zermatt on courses; own prep for Mountain Safety (and tours with friends); regular coaching sessions with a BASI trainer roughly every Sunday through the winter.

What teaching you did after your L2

One or two weeks each year with Interski. Guidance for friends, family.

What modules you've passed/failed are working to

All done except teach and tech. Was able to do Coaching and Adaptive in snowdomes during the summer. See the other thread on the teach fail.

How much outdoor snowtime you got working up to the tech and/or teach pass

If I add up my weeks at Christams, New Year, mid Feb and Easter (about 5 weeks) plus all the weekends, I get 60 days skiing out of a seaon on my part-time basis. Which is not bad. About half a season's worth. I probably ski more than some seasonnaires, given that each day is a pretty full one. The issue is the regular interruption. For me, that really hampers progress.

Where do you ski when you do get to the mountains? Feel free to PM / email as happy to chat some more. Intrigued by how you will plan to get snow time without doing seasons!
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
People get obsessed with doing training courses - however at L3 I believe you should be at the level where you can coach yourself ? There is no substitute for time spent on snow skiing all types of snow & terrain...

I do think skiing under the eye of an expert coach makes limited snow time more productive though. Despite only having a few weeks per year on snow over the past 3 seasons, I've had highly valuable input from PK & Ru Goldring during the Tech, Dave Morris & Gi Lewis at Podium, JJC in Morzine (only 1.5 days due to injury, but I took their advice and worked with it later) and Phil Brown/Impulse at Pila.
ski holidays
I'd echo that balernoStu; its about efficiency imo
snow report
^ agree : one of the reasons I am doing L3 is because it is a good way to access high quality coaching Wink
though up until L3 I reckon you are almost as well just doing the courses ?
if you fail then consider it a useful training week and learn from it ?
but perhaps that advice only works if you have done a few seasons / spent lots of time on snow / already a decent skier.
.... wish I had done race training as a kid - however doing BASI is the second best option.
ski holidays
Quote:

... wish I had done race training as a kid - however doing BASI is the second best option.

but also never too late to start race training, will still improve your skiing massively! Also helps you get in touch with your inner kid; every week it's me and 10 or so 11-18 year olds.

As George Bernard Shaw said:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ agree : one of the reasons I am doing L3 is because it is a good way to access high quality coaching Wink
though up until L3 I reckon you are almost as well just doing the courses ?
if you fail then consider it a useful training week and learn from it ?
but perhaps that advice only works if you have done a few seasons / spent lots of time on snow / already a decent skier.
.... wish I had done race training as a kid - however doing BASI is the second best option.

Indeed, and likewise I had no formal coaching between G3 and G2 (which was a 2 week course back then). Edit: sorry, rubbish, I did NZSIA L1 and staff training during a season in NZ 1994.

Imv a good coach becomes a lot more valuable once you're on a learning plateau. I expect your existing level is strong enough to meet or adapt to the L3 requirments during the course (especially if doing the perf week as well), but I certainly hit a performance wall between G2 and ET.
ski holidays
Quote:

4hrs of tele before passing at the same time as haggis trap.

Haggis_Trap, and you say people do adaptive as it is an easy tick in the box? rolling eyes
snow conditions
^ the hardest BASI course I have done so far was the L1 tele (honestly!)
it is the one course so far I thought at the end I might have failed....
we had to work for it right up until the last minute.
having a stable alpine stance that you can revert back can be a huge "crutch" when trying to make smooth tele turns.
no doubt : learning to tele improved my alpine skiing and ability to coach myself.

FWIW : one of my glencoe mates passed BASI L1 snowboard having only ever spent 1 day on a snowboard.
he was an ex Scottish team racer though.
ski holidays
... as an aside : would anyone be interested in trying to organise L3 mountain safety course in Scotland for next winter ?
Probably out of Glenmore Lodge.
BASI seem to be open to the idea *if* a group of 6 could be found (and candidates accept the weather / snow is a risk to course running).
latest report
could be up for that
snow report
^ cool....
after a little pestering I spoke to BASI product manager on the phone at end of the winter.
they are potentially open to the idea if a group can be found - watch this space.
snow conditions
I thought that the L 1 Snowboard was reasonably high. I think our group had about a 50% pass rate and those who failed had been boarding for a while.

On the subject of Mountain Safety, I'd be up for the EMS training in Scotland if there was enough interest.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, i could be up for that too , I need to catch up on the thread but there appears to be a few of us wanting to do courses , even if they are abroad it would make sense if we could organise it together and share costs of a room and travel etc. they might even put a course on if there are 6 of us Smile

I must admit i always fancied doing my level 1 boarding as a 2nd discipline even though i've never done it lol
snow report
Haggis_Trap, I would be up for L3 MS out of Glenmore.
ski holidays
just about to go to the gym with aching muscles and thought a bump to see how everyones summer training is going... I have booked a few weeks of GS training in Sass Fee with JJC Training in November. Sadly (or not Toofy Grin ) I am working each week that the tech exams are scheduled for next year so may have to opt out of more torture...
snow report
I did my UKCP L1 coach a few weekends ago. Plodding on with my teaching & looking at dovetailing some technical training with some mountain teaching, but not got it all planned yet.
ski holidays
I've done NOWT, apart from loads cycling (min 100 miles a week), and actually feeling very relaxed about it, lowest weight for approx 20 years!!

Once I get my big day Saturday out of the way I am going to try and decide what to do/whether to take it any further.

How was the coach course abd? I assume you passed? Did it improve your skiing or teaching?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy