Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Qualification mapping BASI v UKSS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here is the equivalence mapping from UKSS http://www.snowsportwales.net/UKSnowsportsEquivalence.pdf

a better explanation of the SnowSport England offerings is here http://www.instructorcourses.org/

The IVSI license coaches protocol allows the coach to work with those who are:

1.1.1 Intermediate or advanced skiers
and not beginners
and who are, either
1.1.2 Members of a club or organisation which is a current member of Snowsport England, or
1.1.3 Individual skiers whom I am coaching on an ongoing basis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
kieranm, the 200 for L3 can't be shadowed...

really Wink you are probably right but BASI never check which is very very annoying for those of us who put in the hours...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I've turned up at Lions in Castleford and all the instructors have jackets that show their level and am wondering where my BASI L2 gets me in the SSE system as far as equivalence (struggling to see how SSE Level 2 = BASI L2, given that both the SSE L1 & L2 courses are only 2 days each). In exploring this I got thoroughly confused about the different levels, different language (SSE interchanging the use of coach and instructor).

Let's make it simple. Your BASI L2 is very similar to an SSE L2. It's not really worth worrying about the differences - there are some, and BASI wouldn't recognise an SSE L2 as equivalent but they are close enough for what you want to know at the moment.

Although the SSE training courses are only two days, there is then a lot of time spent between those and the assessment working with the instructor trainers at your club before you put yourself in for the assessment (another day). This is one of the biggest differences in approaches - the BASI course is a continuous assessment one/two week all-in-one go thing. The SSE approach is your get trained in what you need to do, then you go away and work with your club to develop to the necessary standard, then you get assessed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ahh skimottaret, that doc makes a whole heap of sense and a missing part of the jigsaw. So if I'm reading that correctly the BASI L2 gets me a SSE Level 2 and able to auto go into the SSE Level 3 assessment without needing to do the L3 training course.

I had a response from SSE that also provided me with the link to http://www.instructorcourses.org/ which also makes a lot more sense than the pages on UKSS and SSE.

I think we might be getting there!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh and let's throw the "what happens if your teaching mates/family with no remuneration question" out there Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bog off kitenski, rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks kieranm,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abd, just wear your L2 badge, then folk will ask you why it's different to the SSE folk and you'll get to know/talk to more folk!

Simples!

Now about teaching in France without the Eurotest.......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So kitenski do you want to know what happens if you teach mates/family in France without a Eurotest and without pay ??

can you prove it was without pay?
Did your wife buy you your jacket or pay for your lunch or pay in kind ? wink
Did your mate buy you a pint the night before?

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef wrote:
Here's another query however.. how does coaching work in other countries in terms of equivalency? ie, is there an equivalent coaching standard or could someone do coaching in France or Italy but not instruction?

In Canada the instruction (CSIA) and coaching (CSCF) qualifications are complementary rather than equivalent. Entry level CSCF (L1) is one of the prerequisites for CSIA L4.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With the lower level instruction qualifications - SSE L1 is definitely still run, and is below Basi 1, but does have more emphasis on teaching - you do a 2 day course, go away and get some practice, and then get assessed actually teaching at a later date.
Basi 1 and SSS L2 (ASSI) are essentially the same course - I have the latter and my son has the former, and his course material was the same as mine years earlier. They are pass/fail at the end of the course, but SSS ASSI doesn't seem to run anymore though.
SSE L2 (ASSI) seems to have been harder than the SSS one, and was again a course, followed by an assessment at a later date. In theory this course still runs, but a friend has been trying to get on one for about 5 years and hasn't managed it yet because they keep being cancelled.
The SSE L1 has it's place for people who want to teach beginners at their local club/slope. It's a much cheaper way of finding out whether you want to teach than BASI 1 (£150 ish as opposed to £500). However, if you want to take it further than that, you really have to do Basi 1. If you want to do more than that without having the intention to ever teach on snow, there is apparently an Advanced UK snowsports instructor course run by Basi, in the uk, which I believe covers the teaching part of Basi 2 without the mountain part. However, this course hardly ever seems to run.
If you have a SSS L2 you can very easily convert it to BASI 1 without doing any extra courses. However, if you have the slightly harder SSE L2, you can only convert by going on a conversion day!
Another issue with SSE is finding appropriate refresher courses to go on. 2 refreshers ago SSS allowed me to refresh by going on a SSE L2 refresher, and a BASI refresher was also acceptable. However on our most recent refresher, SSE wouldn't accept either a SSS or a BASI refresher. So my colleague who had been a member of SSE for over 25 years, did a BASI refresher and used it as a conversion to BASI 1, and is now no longer a member of SSE.
And we are supposed to have a co-ordinated UK snowsports system!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
karin, Attending the SSE Coaching Conference counts as a refresher.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In theory this course still runs, but a friend has been trying to get on one for about 5 years and hasn't managed it yet because they keep being cancelled.

I'm surprised they've had to wait that long. I waited a few months but mainly because I wanted one that was a short drive rather than having to stay somewhere overnight, and ended up doing my SSE L2 last December in Norwich. There had been others in the meantime further west.

It's worth noting that often slopes will put on a training course or refresher for their own instructors and it doesn't always get widely advertised outside that club - if you're looking for a particular course I would contact the clubs that are local to you and let them know as they're often happy to get an extra person to reduce the cost.

I'm not all that bothered by the lack of conversion between SSE and BASI - the courses are all very good value for money considering the quality and quantity of the training provided - but can see how it would be more convenient.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, she's had 2 cancelled because there weren't enough to run it, and one because the tutor was ill at the last minute. And none of them were local.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy