Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen,

You are entitled to your views.

23,24,25th wil be very warm . Freeze level 3000Metres

St Anton,Lech,Zurs are Opening more lifts.

Please read carefully. A lot of this ia connecting or access lifts.

Have fun out there

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, you are at risk of eroding the credibility you have.

Please show me any evidence you have that there will be a sustained period of FL of 3000m?

I'm not saying it won't happen. Just that I've not seen anything suggesting it will. If you have it please share it otherwise it looks groundless.

As I said I'm certainly not suggesting the situation is anything other than less than ideal. It's a damn shame. But it is what it is (and some who consistently seek to claim everything is fine are also at fault).

Moreover earlier in autumn you were chucking out sweeping comments saying December would be fine, with an equal absence of evidence. Yet now you start threads saying all is doom and gloom.

I'm tiring of it. And I'm not alone.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 19-12-14 23:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm thinking we need a new Stantonless Arlberg 14/15 thread methinks, anyone agree?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nozawaonsen,

Good morning.

December is normally OK. I also said recently this worst
start to the season in 30 years.

As for the freeze level here is a widely used site by many tourists ( i never used it)

Since yesterday it has changed little the situation is fluid.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid

Or read the official report
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/weather-and-snow-report

So it will be at least next Thursday before we see Cold Air Mass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, Plus one from me.

I think it is finally time the troll was banned. Any helpful useful tips that might be drip-fed from the idiot are far outweighed by the negativity and downright racism against the UK and British ski folks. Perhaps if enough of us petition Dadmin it can be achieved, there are plenty of positive and helpful people in the area with far more accurate information that does not come with the racist abuse that Stanton gives out. With clarkey999 and dulcemara both living in the immediate vicinity as well as several seasonaires we have much more accurate reporting without any of the abuse that accompanies Stanton's meagre contributions
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Samerberg Sue, Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rendl.

Two very good condition blue pistes of the top of Riffl1.

Will be a while before Gampenbahn gets going. & it will be the
Red piste prepared first.

Canons are on!

Downloading only on Rendlbahn

Currently -3C Galzig -8C Valluga.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Samerberg Sue,

What are you talking about did you have bad night? rolling eyes

Be very careful what you say if you cannot substantiate your
outrageous accusations...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 20-12-14 16:01; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stefan Haeusl says its a powder day up top.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pray 4 snow

Pray 4 a miracle.

Maybe Jackson hole this year instead.

This weather pattern is so persistent.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spid wrote:
No

Agreed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zurs was nice this morning. Not everything was open but at least one lift was closed due to wind rather than lack of snow. The quality of the snow was fine right down to the bottom.
We then went across to Stuben. The long blue down to Stuben was lovely. There had obviously been fresh snow overnight. The snow cannons were running above St Anton and the standard of the snow was pretty good. We skied down to St Christopher on blue 8, which has temporarily been graded as a ski route. It was a nice run all the way to the bottom and the snow was fine.
If you're coming out to Lech or St Anton this week I'd not panic - you'll be fine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Redwine wrote:
Pray 4 snow

Pray 4 a miracle.

I'd really like to go back to CO instead of Lech. Next year, no booking until two weeks before the trip. Don't care if it costs more. After skiing that dry light cold smoke pow in Vail and Breck a few days ago, it's pretty much made up my attitude about booking a ski trip months in advance.

Maybe our prays have been answered, and the answer is not what we want to hear... Crying or Very sad
snow report
@toadman. I hear you. I love the alps, I often describe it as a cultural and ski vacation in one. But it's so challenging condition wise. I'm still looking at how things evolve in Austria, and still may cancel and lose a few thousand $$ but at least have terrain and possible powder. I really only have one week a year, and don't want to be excited by man made resort runs. We will see. I think if this continues into 3rd week of January things won't be salvageable by my mid feb trip.

I thought it was inconceivable, but have watched the last 6 weeks get worse and worse, even if it just takes one storm.
snow report
Snowing a bit tonight in town . Nice westerly wnd.

Always lookout for the next Full Moon.

Precipitaion always follows
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:
Redwine wrote:
Pray 4 snow

Pray 4 a miracle.

I'd really like to go back to CO instead of Lech. Next year, no booking until two weeks before the trip. Don't care if it costs more. After skiing that dry light cold smoke pow in Vail and Breck a few days ago, it's pretty much made up my attitude about booking a ski trip months in advance.

Maybe our prays have been answered, and the answer is not what we want to hear... Crying or Very sad

I stand open to correction. But iIRC, this time last year there was snow famine in much of US.
latest report
Quote:
Always lookout for the next Full Moon. Precipitaion always follows

Yes, don't trust that old meteorology nonsense, listen for the howling of wolves instead. The full moon is key to it all, lycanthropes are real and there are pixies under the bed.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 20-12-14 20:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hi folks , skied StAnton today and I have skied powder, great piste some slush and some hard shitty ice but all in a great day. Rendl in the aft with more runs open.
I was expecting an awfull week and it has turned out fantastic.
Ischgl is still great but StAnton has loads to offer.

Stay high and enjoy what's available . There is great skiing here.
Merry Christmas Smile
snow report
scarbski wrote:
Merry Christmas Smile

Backatcha - and thanks for that real world update snowHead
ski holidays
[quote="peanuthead"][quote="Toadman"]
Redwine wrote:
Pray 4 snow

I stand open to correction. But iIRC, this time last year there was snow famine in much of US.

The Sierra's were getting skunked last year. UT started out a bit on the slow side. But I skied knee deep pow at Alta this same time in Dec. last year. WA & OR were not doing so hot in December but I skied some pretty decent snow the first week of January. CO was getting the same kind of snow then as they are now. El Nino pattern is pretty much shaping up like it normally does for the USA. PNW is normally warm and wet, and so is Western BC Canada. Resorts in Southern CO, and places like Taos, NM generally seem to be okay with snow, as does the Sierra's.

I really don't know how the Alps respond to El Nino seasons. I had read somewhere that El Nino has less of an impact on Europe. Weather obviously has so many variables to it, that computer models and all that computing power still seem to have troubles with forecasting anymore than a few days out.
latest report
I just heard that my niece and family arrived at their chalet in St anton to find they were the only guests as everyone else had cancelled. They are with Inghams. I wonder if they will organise any trips? My niece has been calculating how much schnapps and gluhwein she could buy instead of a lift pass.
ski holidays
Arrived in St Anton this afternoon, just about to go to bed as we've been up since 3:30. Absolutely chaotic check-in at Manchester this morning.

Anyway everything sorted for tomorrow and pretty optimistic.

I'll give a report when we get back in.
snow report
It's snowing ! Only light but a big step up from rain !

No wait it's getting heavier , first tracks anyone ?
(Not me I'm off home in morning Smile )
ski holidays
@scarbski, I love you!!!

I'll be there...
ski holidays
https://m.facebook.com/90701019721/photos/a.447149414721.243596.90701019721/10152975749834722/?type=1&source=46&refid=17
snow report
internet says 8 cm overnight! You can have a lot of fun with 8 cm!!!

Just ask clarky999!!!! NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I just heard that my niece and family arrived at their chalet in St anton to find they were the only guests as everyone else had cancelled. They are with Inghams. I wonder if they will organise any trips? My niece has been calculating how much schnapps and gluhwein she could buy instead of a lift pass.

Why? The skiing in St Anton was great today!
snow report
Hi all arrived late tonight after an evening flight to Zurich got delayed but that was soon forgotten when Avis upgraded our hire car to a merc. Very Happy

Driving towards resort started raining over Austrian border that turned to snow around 25km from st Anton. Got to Stuben and it was absolutely belting down we were over the moon stopped the car and got out it was glorious. Heavy snow driving across to St Christoph and even once we dropped down to St Anton was still snowing and everywhere was white! Currently around 5cm on my balacony reckon there was triple that in St Christoph. Looking forward to tomorrow as there should have been plenty up top.
snow conditions
Zurs ...Snow last few hours

snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
pam w wrote:

Why? The skiing in St Anton was great today!

The web cams this morning look much better at resort level

Hope everybody out there has a great time.
ski holidays
@dulcamara, enjoy your day mate.

Personally I'm tired of hearing all the negativity so far on this forum from those who are moaning about conditions, especially those from the US. If CO is so great it begs the question, why are you bothering......(think we know the answer it's a rhetorical question) you just booked too early in the season........the first proper snow always arrives at or just before Christmas and the snow is best early/ mid January onwards. It's just weather. I hope that's the end of the doom-mongers now and they enjoy these freshies, that due 25/26th and leave plenty fresh pow for me and my buddies due out end January and on.
latest report
That's very good news. Fingers crossed for them.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
...the first proper snow always arrives at or just before Christmas
Really? I must be imagining this awesome days I've had at the end of November and in the first couple of weeks of December over the last 15 years or so.
latest report
@rob@rar, I'll qualify that then by saying I was meaning powder sufficient for confident off-piste sortees, without fear of sharks on almost every turn on Rendl (I know the grassy slopes on Galzig hold early snowpack but Rendl north face, Simmelegg, and St Christoph under the chair are my barometers)........my definition of proper snow conditions. I too have skied some great days early/ mid December but it wasn't what I'd have called epic consolidated snowpack, more a lucky day here or there and lines picked with a great deal of care. I can equally remember at least 2 years since 1994 when we've been in St Anton at Christmas and Rendl wasn't even open and the snow level was c.1800m, that said the snow above Gampen was awesome and the runs down to Nesserein and town were decent on piste.

Most pistes will now be skiable, particularly those above 1800m and Warth/ Lec/ Zurs pistes look OK, if anyone is a piste skier and/ or happy dipping into tge slack they'll have a great Christmas. My pals in resort are having fun whilst the tour operator folks are bussing their folks about in a state of oanic that's for sure.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, that's quite patronising to dismiss anything on-piste as not proper skiing.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ermmm, it doesn't say that does it? My definition is off piste biased that's all. I enjoy myself on piste, and ski loads with my OH on piste, just prefer to get off piste when the conditions permit. ..... wink
snow report
@Markymark29, I think there's a world of difference between saying "the first proper snow always arrives at or just before Christmas" and "the snowpack is not reliably deep enough early season for the kind of skiing I prefer to do". Your comment came across like it was written by a tabloid sub-editor, with the blame for those people currently experiencing poor conditions squarely on their shoulders for being so unwise as to book early season. As I know you are an experienced skier I would have liked to have seen something a bit more nuanced from you, that's all.

In the meantime I will leave you with this, taken on 8 December 2012 in that well known high altitude resort called Meribel...

snow conditions
@rob@rar, OK.....never been near a tabloid sub-editors office btw, and never read them so I can't comment but that was not my intent so I'm unable to comment further!

Great photo in Meribel, and snow awesome eh?....have had some great skiing, and holidays in 3V and in particular Meribel in the mid 90's, same in EK....only reason I ever really headed east was the expensive tolls and hassle getting into/ out of Tarentaise, I don't know if this has ever been addressed but wherever there's snow I'm happy - it's just I prefer Arlberg and have many friends there now. I'd like to ski 3V sometime soon though, albeit when the surfs up and when it's out of peak weeks. If I lived in London like you I'd be on that train to Aime/ Moutiers every other weekend, sadly not practicable from here in North Yorkshire until they complete HS2 in 2035 or whenever and I'll be hopefully still on it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy