Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the GFS forecast and looking like some decent snow once it cools, but a blip of warmer weather tomorrow?? then another spell of cool and snow mid week and out in FI a cooling trend?? (could all change of course)

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like limited visibility today. Been here a week. Only one left in hotel this morning after Sunday transfers. I have been skiing slush all winter. Only my third bad vis day. My Soul 7s do not like the frozen snow mornings. Despite the hype they are not a good piste ski and useless on hardback. Hoping this week's allows some off piste so I can really try them out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been for a run, light dusting of snow. Where's recommended today? Is sonnenkopf included in St anton ski pass?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yup
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valluga was shut all day or at least when when I went pass it. There was a nice pitch of powder to the right of the top of the Schindler. Snow not enough to change things markedly.low vis in a band from just below Ganzig up for a few hundred.above and below that vis ok. Another slush fest on the lower slopes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Valluga was shut for us too when we tried it. Galzig seeemed to be covered in cloud most of the day. Went up schindlergrat then down to stuben, spent most of the day playing in some soft stuff left and right of 17, 18 getting the Valfagehr chair as that area was beautiful sunshine blue sky most of the time. Stuben area looked great in sunshine late afternoon from afar.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Windskisurf wrote:
Valluga was shut for us too when we tried it. Galzig seeemed to be covered in cloud most of the day. Went up schindlergrat then down to stuben, spent most of the day playing in some soft stuff left and right of 17, 18 getting the Valfagehr chair as that area was beautiful sunshine blue sky most of the time. Stuben area looked great in sunshine late afternoon from afar.

Stuben is great, I wish I'd spent more time skiing there. It'll be ruined next season, strangers will come Sad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sah, think it'll be a couple of years until the new lifts are built, I don't see the risk to Stuben being quite as bad as the risk to Hinterrendl, Malfontal and Rosfall by virtue of the Kappl link. One thing for sure there'll be more people up on Albona but they'll hopefully not be getting into the north face and Wirt/ Starwars stashes.

St Anton ski area is so vast already, I was just reflecting on this season, we never even went up Albona or down to Stuben this season, partly because the 2 weeks we were based in St Anton the lifts were largely shut but also because there was just so much powder up on Rendl, Kapall/ Gampen and Galzig....we never even went up Schindlergratbahn our second week, there's a first! The week we had in Warth was super-special, it's noticeable how few St Anton/ Lech/ Zurs based folk get much further than the first couple of lifts, and I hope this is true when they do the Kappl link. I certainly won't be venturing into Ischgl ski area, albeit I will be aiming straight into Hinterrendl and Malfontal areas as soon as lifts permit......shame lifts have to go there at all but I'll just remember those special guided days there when it was deserted! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, Maybe I was being a bit melodramatic, but according to one local the stuben & tritkopf work starts this summer:-o Maybe it won't start operating until the season after next though, but seeing how fast the Rendlbahn went up I'm not so sure, they can move fast when the law allows it.

You're right though, the best stashes still require short walks or side steps, so 90% of the new traffic won't go there.

The Projekt Dias work (Rendl area) will thankfully take longer, although some work has already started for a base station at the bottom of Rossfall - there are a couple of large containers there now for survey work etc. The guide we were with said there was a chance that the environmental lobby could delay it a bit - he was hoping that might find some rare flowers or something to force a delay. Some slightly positive news is that there won't be any pistes in there, only ski routes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So the Kappl link is definitely going ahead?

Kappl and Ischgl are on the same pass right? If you combine that whole area with the Arlberg, you get one HELL of a lot of incredible terrain on one pass...!! I'm not really into building new lifts everywhere, but that would be a serious contender for world's best ski area...

@Markymark29, don't write off Ischgl: it has some really great terrain, picks up snow from the south much better than Anton, and has far fewer freeriders to compete with for powder...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sah, Mmmm, i'll go and find a few great-crested newts up in Malfontal in summer then......decided after our deliberations at the weekend we're going back in August for mtb-ing and high level walking 9 nights. Will also aim to do Silvretta road climb loop, likely start in Montafon and my back-up support vehicle will scrape me up in Galtur ready for a sneaky beer in Ischgl area before heading back wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, @stanton probably has the details, but as far as I can tell it will go ahead, I'm not sure of the timeline.

St Anton already is the world's best ski area Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sah wrote:
@clarky999, @stanton probably has the details, but as far as I can tell it will go ahead, I'm not sure of the timeline.

Laughing wink

Well, it's definitely top 5, but some of the tree zones in Ischgl would be a great addition for storm days...

Also imagine if they linked St Gallenkirch/Gashurn with Galtür, still all on the one pass...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@Markymark29, don't write off Ischgl: it has some really great terrain, picks up snow from the south much better than Anton, and has far fewer freeriders to compete with for powder...

@clarky999, Fair point, it was all piste stuff/ red motorways when we went 15 years ago and I found it a bit boring, likely different approach now - straight into the pow Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
sah wrote:

Well, it's definitely one of them, but some of the tree zones in Ischgl would be a great addition for storm days...

Also imagine if they linked St Gallenkirch/Gashurn with Galtür, still all on the one pass...

I've only skied a couple of days in Ischgl, but I can imagine there is some good terrain and it's different to St Anton. The trouble is on a storm day those links would likely be closed so you'd have to drive around anyway.

I was wondering about linking Montafon to Galtur, I guess it's feasible. It might also be feasible to link Sonnenkopf to Schruns too. There's no doubt that would be a huge ski area and great fun - e.g. try to ski from Kappl to Warth and back in a day, or do a safari starting in St Anton-i-M and ending in St Anton-a-A Happy

But is it worth the cost in terms of losing pristine areas accessible only to tourers (or hikers in summer)?
snow conditions
@sah, Connect Warth to Bregenzerwald (Damuls etc) also, and then onto Montafon via a huge gondola across the main Bregenz/ Innsbruck road....... then you could ski all the way from Ischgl anticlockwise or clockwise and end up back where you started! If the lifts stayed open 24 hours a day and all the links were floodlit, that is!

Some person will read this in about 25 years and say, yeah so that's what we do now innit?!! wink

Think the locals in the places like Bregenzerwald and Montafon might have some objections to paying 800-900€ for their season-passes vs 400€'s though......
snow report
@Markymark29, You forgot about connecting in Kleinwalsertal from Warth.
But seeing as the KWT folks held a referendum about connecting up two of the areas in KWT, and voted no ( WTF? ), I doubt this will happen before the sun runs out of hydrogen.
latest report
@Steilhang, Yeah politics does come into it eh? (thankfully) Also forgot that Pettneu will need linking up too...........
snow report
@Markymark29, yeah, stuff like this will happen one day... I'll be in Mittenwald when it does. One lift, one run, no groomers.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@sah, Connect Warth to Bregenzerwald (Damuls etc) also, and then onto Montafon via a huge gondola across the main Bregenz/ Innsbruck road....... then you could ski all the way from Ischgl anticlockwise or clockwise and end up back where you started! If the lifts stayed open 24 hours a day and all the links were floodlit, that is!

Some person will read this in about 25 years and say, yeah so that's what we do now innit?!! wink

Laughing You're probably right haha!!

Could probably also find a way to link Serfaus/Fiss in too - which would make Landeck a much more attractive place to live!
ski holidays
sah wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
sah wrote:

Well, it's definitely one of them, but some of the tree zones in Ischgl would be a great addition for storm days...

I've only skied a couple of days in Ischgl, but I can imagine there is some good terrain and it's different to St Anton. The trouble is on a storm day those links would likely be closed so you'd have to drive around anyway.

I was wondering about linking Montafon to Galtur, I guess it's feasible. It might also be feasible to link Sonnenkopf to Schruns too. There's no doubt that would be a huge ski area and great fun - e.g. try to ski from Kappl to Warth and back in a day, or do a safari starting in St Anton-i-M and ending in St Anton-a-A Happy

But is it worth the cost in terms of losing pristine areas accessible only to tourers (or hikers in summer)?

Linking Sonnenkopf to the Hochjoch area should be relatively feasible, but yes you're right - while it's fun to day dream about the area you could build, putting all those lifts in in reality would suck big time.

But maybe in 25 years when Mark's 24 hours ski resort is operational they'll be able to do it by under ground magnetic trains or something Laughing
latest report
@clarky999, more seriously, it might be a quite a fun day out to ski/skin between Hochjock and Sonnenkopf, returning by bus perhaps? In fact, you could probably get to Stuben from Hochjock fairly easily too? We stopped of in Schruns on the way home last week, looks like a nice "real" town, pleasant, not touristy but close to good skiing. I assume you can't actually ski back to Schruns but the lifts accesses the ski areas above?
snow report
Folks

Lets understand one thing. The Link from Kappl to Rendl is really for the survival of Kappl as a ski area . Ischgl is 10km up the valley from Kappl.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Folks

Lets understand one thing. The Link from Kappl to Rendl is really for the survival of Kappl as a ski area . Ischgl is 10km up the valley from Kappl.

Sure, but it's still going to put the price of the Arlberg liftpass up, and it's still going to make rossfall, malfontal etc a lot "tamer" Sad
snow conditions
didn't bother skiing Kappl in Feb but stayed in galtur and only skied there one day which was half a day too much. Galtur it lovely to stay in but no comparison to ischgl. makes you wonder how to would survive long term on the scraps from Ischgl.
snow conditions
sah wrote:
@clarky999, more seriously, it might be a quite a fun day out to ski/skin between Hochjock and Sonnenkopf, returning by bus perhaps? In fact, you could probably get to Stuben from Hochjock fairly easily too? We stopped of in Schruns on the way home last week, looks like a nice "real" town, pleasant, not touristy but close to good skiing. I assume you can't actually ski back to Schruns but the lifts accesses the ski areas above?

I haven't really looked into it, but it should be possible to ski from Sonnenkopf into Silbertal and then take a lift up to Hochjoch. I guess it'd work from Stuben too, but it'd be a much bigger day out!

Oh yeah, you have lifts and pistes to/from Schruns - the piste to the village is still open and in reasonable condition even now after two weeks of sun and warm weather. It's a nice enough town but it's very small and quiet with very little going on socially - in fact there's very little going on full stop. Great skiing, but I wouldn't live here if it wasn't for the job. Luckily it's pretty easy to escape to IBK a few weekends a month.
snow report
Snow tomorrow/Thursday
snow conditions
Come on own up, who was it? wink

http://www.thelocal.at/20150321/mysterious-snow-art-baffles-ski-patrol
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mark1863, Just come back from two weeks in the Arlberg with my Soul 7s. I bought them in 180 and found them so easy and forgiving. As you say they don't like ice,hard pack even or iced serrated snow from the PBs. But as soon as its warmed up, they carve fantastically well for a ski this wide. My nephew wanted to race down the Glattinggrat, I'm up for anything even at my age! According to his Iphone app we hit 60 mph! (Note there was no one on the piste at 9am!) But, overall I felt that I was in control of the ski all the time and there was no hint of chatter or flap from the tip and tail. Off piste in powder they were so easy to use, in slush a fantastic water ski. On soft snow moguls- acceptable, although the Sin 7 would have been better. I have noticed that the inside edge is starting to mash up the plastic on my ski boot, its probably my technique as I have never skied anything this wide before. Overall I give this ski the big thumbs up and cant wait to get back there...11 months to go!!!
snow report
so for us Easter folk, if I read the tea leaves next week is looking snowy, with a potential drop in temps the week after with more snow...

Are the cows/farmers/locals saying the same???
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
so for us Easter folk, if I read the tea leaves next week is looking snowy, with a potential drop in temps the week after with more snow...

Are the cows/farmers/locals saying the same???

The barman in Willi's (Stuben) predicted a dump at the end of March 2 weeks ago Happy
ski holidays
Been here a week, 10 days in austria, so far no real powder. Scheduled to leave on 30th, now forecast showing 34cm dump on the 30th may have to extend another week. Will it ever arrive though??
snow report
Scouted out lech/zurs "the white circle/route"?!? today. Zurs has some serious powder potential for when it snows, so many great spots. Apparently I skiied Warth the other day without realising it when I went to lech.
snow report
Quote:

Zurs has some serious powder potential

It certainly does, it has some superb lines. I think people assume because it's full of 5* hotels the skiing is going to be bland, which is far from the case.
latest report
+1 ...and some of them pretty easy to access.
snow report
Just checked the weather for next week. Seems like rain until Wednesday Sad

At least the weather will be fine on Saturday for driving over the Flexen pass so I suppose beggars can't be choosers
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
Just checked the weather for next week. Seems like rain until Wednesday Sad

At least the weather will be fine on Saturday for driving over the Flexen pass so I suppose beggars can't be choosers

The forecast I was emailed yesterday indicated there was quite a bit of snow forecast over the next couple of weeks including 11cm tonight and 12cm Saturday night.

Certainly the webcam at nasserien is showing a bit of snow of the side of the piste which wasn't there yesterday.

So I am getting hopeful.
snow conditions
http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
if either of the above link or the SNowforecast.com report I saw are accurate, it should be great when we arrive there on the 12th. Very Happy
snow conditions
Galzigbahn and other webcams showing snow falling right now (9am) in St Anton town - despite temperature on camera showing 4.6C.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy