Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting a business in the Alps - help needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Fellow snow worshippers,

A friend and I are in the process of scoping out a new business in the Alps. As far as we're aware, nothing similar currently exists so please forgive my being slightly coy on the idea, but I'm looking for business owners in ski resorts who can give some advice, preferably ones involved in the hospitality trade (mountain bars / restaurants especially) and have an idea of how to get a business on the mountain, talk through the ins an outs of local mayoral / business chambers etc.

I'm London based, my business partner is in Amsterdam and we'd be delighted to take you out for dinner to thank you for your time if you've got the right credentials.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which Country?
Have you used the search function on here

Some advice here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2338792
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most likely france, but we're open to finding the location that will most likely let us do what we'd like to do (as long as it has sufficient appropriate patronage to make a profit). I've had a flick through the search function, but an hour or so speaking to someone who's been there, done that, should give a much better feel of if our idea would work in any resort and if so where. Again, sorry for being non-specific, but can't give too much away!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been there done what?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Been there done what?

or possibly "been where, done what?"....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Set up a business in the Alps, preferably one involving hospitality and preferable one that's given experience on how best to work with local decision makers / licensers / legislators to make it happen.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tmp28, search out a user called 'araird', not sure what their business is, but they write a blog about the Bourg SM area which has included a reasonable amount of posts about local politics and development. They might be able to help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks hammerite, will do!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Been there done what?

or possibly "been where, done what?"....

are we allowed to guess, yes? ok I'll kick off

1. microbrewed English beers delivered to chalets and bars
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
2. A piste side umbrella bar serving full English breakfast (bacon, eggs, toast, beans and fried tomato )?
I'd go for that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always thought somewhere doing a proper British roast dinner would go down well, at least amongst seasonnaires.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's Kermit for 'Hooters' Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3. ski-through KFC
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once looked into bringing a Cornish pasty type shop into a resort that was frequented by a lot of Brits...

My idea...something quick hot and tasty and cheap to grab anytime during the day.

Part baked...stored in freezers and baked on the premises...

I gave up...too much politics involved.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spud-U-Didn't-Like?
snow report
Mosha Marc, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
4) Picnics on the piste
snow conditions
5) Curry and Kebab shop with delivery to each alpine resort on a specific day. (i.e. Tuesday, Tignes. Wednesday Chamonix etc etc
ski holidays
6) British Pub serving Great British Ales and Fine English Fayre.
ski holidays
&) Ran out of tried and failed Alpine food ventures .... Laughing
latest report
Hmmm I'm getting peckish

7) Ski gear storage service
ski holidays
Cool Ski boot polishing service
snow report
Who knew that typing an 8 followed by a ) gave a Cool?
snow conditions
Quote:

I always thought somewhere doing a proper British roast dinner would go down well, at least amongst seasonnaires.

I do a sunday roast every week in the winter in Switz, funny how many people 'drop' by
Smile
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

I do a sunday roast every week in the winter in Switz, funny how many people 'drop' by
Smile

and the seasonnaires would be prepared to pay ..... oh at least 2 euros for it.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

Smile

and the seasonnaires would be prepared to pay ..... oh at least 2 euros for it.

Laughing

Sounds about right!
latest report
Burger van?
snow conditions
Mobile call girl service
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My plans include:

A lift based pizza service for long slow and preferably covered chair lifts. The menu is attached to the safety bar. You place your order and pay and the third pylon, collect it at the 10th and chump merrily all the way up.
A telecabine queue based service selling roast chestnuts and garlic heads from a small kiosk at the entrance. A similar service offering tots of alcohol may also be set up.
Selling advertising space on flat screen TVs in telecabines.

You can tell from these that I have noticed that many people munch snacks while on lifts and get really bored having silly coversations.

A couple especially for English customers

a ruck sack carrying service. A trained and obviously fully qualified skier will follow you around the piste carrying all those things you put in your rucksacks thinking you might, possibly, need. Clearly this butler would know instinctively what you may want and have it there immediately.

A Balti house in Meribel

A pub that stays open all night, serves english beers, broadcasts english sports channels and only permits the speaking of english. Only English or Scottish pounds will be permitted for transactions (not sure about permitting Manx or other non UK currencies).
latest report
johnE, I've seen a few people on the slopes who really need the ruck sack service LOL

Add serves Engish breakfasts to your pub and I think you may be onto a winner
snow report
johnE, I remember some of my early days skiing in Bavaria where the lift operator sold gluhwein. There was only one lift and it was a T bar. Never tried to drink the gluhwein whist using the lift thankfully Laughing
latest report
D G Orf, You caught me out; actually that was a scam. The butlers never leave the bar and takes a whole fees from dozens of punters.
ski holidays
johnE, the bub with Bacon on the breakfast menu is still a good idea wink
snow report
davidof wrote:
Mobile call girl service

That would only work in Courcheval.
snow conditions
An ice cream parlour?
snow report
Or Poundland franchises in Davos, Cortina and Courchevel
snow conditions
Things I would have paid for:
Deliver to door laundry and ironing service
Burrito/ Mexican food van - why are the French/ Swiss/ Austrians so afraid of spice!
Sausage Fitzwilliam (there's a JPEG somewhere out there)
latest report
We have discussed a cocktail menu presented at the bottom of the chairlift which following your order would be waiting for you. A 2 stage chairlift would work best , cocktail served as you pass through the mid-station, and you could drink it on the way to the top.
ski holidays
Quote:

davidof wrote:
Mobile call girl service

That would only work in Courcheval.

That wouldn't work in Courcheval - too much competition!
latest report
Some brilliant ideas here, one getting warm(ish). Tempted to sack all mine and go with yours.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy