Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

YASPL: Yet Another Skier Progress Log.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
for interest comparing a days recreational skiing with a days training...

First up a days skiing with my kids and other adults the week before my L2, this was quite a long day for the kids, from Stuben to Rendl and back. The Garmin only records time skiing, not waiting around, on lifts etc This was skiing mostly reds and blacks at a reasonable pace. Also includes me watching the kids for 2 runs thru the fun park, no way was I risking jumps before my L2!!

24.9mi Distance 2:10:25 Moving Time 15,164ft elevation
Avg Max
Speed 11.4mi/h 42.1mi/h
Elapsed Time 6:26:48

This is a typical BASI L2 day doing a mixture of shorts and longs (mostly on the same slope). I think this may include a download on the Prodain cable car from looking at the track...

43.4mi Distance 4:09:50 Moving Time 23,658ft elevation
Avg Max
Speed 10.4mi/h 37.4mi/h
Elapsed Time 6:58:17

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kids ski steeper avg gradients and faster and at faster max speeds than BASI?

24 000 very over 7 hours isn't excessive, 10 mins ski time per 1000ft.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes, it's not a d*ck measuring contest, it;s purely 2 snapshots of two particular days to give people an idea of a training day vs a recreational day.

Frankly I couldn't give a toss on which day I skied the most vert and which was faster or steeper.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes, it's not a d*ck measuring contest, it;s purely 2 snapshots of two particular days to give people an idea of a training day vs a recreational day.

Frankly I couldn't give a toss on which day I skied the most vert and which was faster or steeper.

No fair enough but I thought you were implying that the L2 course was a serious step up over rec skiing - there's no reason why it should be of course.

And if you don't give a toss why measure it at all? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes, just got a new watch so was testing it! and also thought it was interesting. There were (to be polite) some who failed their L2 and some who failed the resit who could have been fitter, perhaps by showing I did double the distance of a long recreational day it may help someone to set some expectations. I do think to pass well you need to be fairly fit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No I understand the key point just thought I' d point out the counter intuitive bits of data. Basically skiing twice as far in twice as long as a rec day is the key message. Add in the fact that you'll be concentrating on skiing it properly then it gets demanding.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes, Gotcha! well L2 that day we skied blues all day I think. The kids day we skied one or 2 blacks and mostly reds, so that explains the avg gradient difference!! Snow was possibly firmer on the day I skied with the kids and I think I may have let rip with some carving at the bottom of one of the blacks or reds which would explain the higher top speeds....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the data kitenski, I've heard it mentioned before that some suffer due to fitness on courses like this, but data like this is very handy for putting it into context and puts my mind at rest that I'll be OK!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kieranm, on a full 2 week L2 you'd also be giving or being in lessons most days so I think you'd ski less than the day shown above.

Have you booked onto a course?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All the BASI courses I've done have been tiring, mentally as well as physically, but I didn't think there was a need to do specific strength and conditioning for L1 or L2 courses. The people I know who failed L2 did so because their skiing wasn't strong enough not because of a lack of fitness.

L3 is a big step up in terms of physical demand and I think it's important to get some S&C work done if you're not doing a lot of other sport or skiing full time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, you weren't trying hard enough then rob. The less fit folk on my course definitely struggled in variables and bumps at the end of the day.

I'm fairly fit, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be any less fit going into my course.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, you weren't trying hard enough then rob.
Maybe (although that didn't stop me from getting top grades wink ), but most of my L2 group were like me, in to their 40s with desk jobs and no systematic fitness programme, and while we were very tired at the end of the two weeks I don't think a lack of fitness prevented us from skiing at our best. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend that L2 candidates deliberately get "unfit" for their course, simply that IMO technical performance is far more important than S&C.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Have you booked onto a course?

Not yet. The various providers seem to be still finalising dates etc. There are only summer courses in Hintertux listed on the BASI website at the moment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, independent of the numbers what is clear is the repetition during a training day vs the variation of a typical recreational day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Kids ski steeper avg gradients and faster and at faster max speeds than BASI?

My 9yr old dropped me during a run on Cairngorm at Easter, not what I needed for confidence just before a BASI course! So yes sometimes kids ski fast, and he's not skied that much yet so will be slower than many others his age. I had just treated him to a new pair of Atomic Race 10s though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy