Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roof Racks

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a roof rack for 3-4 pairs of skis?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/thule_xtender_ski_carrier_no_tu739_6_pairs_skis_or_4_snowboards/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvENtTOB

absolutely brilliant, I've had one for 12 years and it's still going strong - though I had to buy a few spares when I lost a bag of bits during the summer sometime. They won't fit on all bars, though. The roof box company is brilliant - they will answer queries promptly and provide guidance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know it's dearer, but if I travel with my skis (and I can't fit them inside the car) I'd use a roof box.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use my rack mostly for driving to and from the slopes - I rarely do very long journeys with skis, as they live out in France. But on the odd long journey I don't find the skis get mucky on top of the car. I did have a roofbox but it was a pain - difficult to get up to get the skis out (quite a high roof car) and they just crashed around inside - they are all held separately and securely on the rack. Four pairs of skis and a snowboard would do themselves some damage loose inside a roofbox. The Extender rack extends - which makes getting the skis off very easy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, my husband made ski holders to fit inside our roof box which stops them rattling around, then other stuff, jackets in bags etc can fill up the space. He had to make them because we could not find any to buy though there may well be these days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stowing a roof box when not in use is also a bit of a pain. All told, I'm very happy with my Thule rack (I sold the roofbox to a Snowhead, years ago!).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend the Thule products all the time we have couple sets of bars one set of attachments for roof rails and these have fitted the last 5 cars we have owned so no need to buy new roofbars etc.

We have a couple of Thule ski box's but have them suspended from the roof of the garage when not needed. The larger one came with inserts to support ski'sand snowboards so you may be able to buy them from a dealer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alternatively: use a conventional (cheap) ladder rack and put your skis in a Sportube.

This provides more flexibility as you can use the same tubes for flying or shipping your skis. But it does mean you have to find some secure way to lock 'em to your roof rack to stop 'em being nicked.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

But it does mean you have to find some secure way to lock 'em to your roof rack to stop 'em being nicked.

and who wants to fiddle around with that when you're tired after a day's skiing, it's snowing down your neck and you are desperate to get into a warm bar for a cold drink? I'd also be reluctant to pack wet, snowy, skis into a closed bag - maximum moisture and wet bag.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 Thule Xtender.

Brilliant, especially if you have a high car or are not very tall, or both, like me. Had out ours 8 seasons, lives on the roof these years as frankly, I can't be bothered taking it off and putting it on each week.

Seriously, what damage does moisture (yes, I know, it can be salty) possibly do to your skis given what they are designed to do...

At least on the roof overnight they're airing, unlike in ski bags or boxes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On a related topic, anyone had experience of magnetic ski racks? Our skis will be staying in the mountains but we'll often have a hire car to get to the lifts between resorts. SOunds ideal to keep a couple of magnetic racks in the cave rather than mess about fitting roof bars to hire cars but don't know if they are good in practice?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster, the ones I've seen are limited to two pairs per rack.

If flying and hiring I now take one of these. One time we had 6 pairs of skis on and we've never had a problem.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 29-04-14 15:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use the inflatable handiracks as well, they're great. Cheaper to buy than one trip's rental of the magnetic racks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handiracks are great. I've had four 20kg kayaks on them with no problems.

As for the OP, just get any rook rack and learn how to tie things on with ratchet straps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another fan of the Handiracks. Had two LARGE coffin ski bags with 6 pairs of skis (3 pairs of All Mountain, 2 pairs piste skis and 1 Junior skis) strapped to the hire car roof this winter with no problems.
snow report
look good, thanks
guess you really need a bag strapped on?
snow report
When transferring to/from the airport our skis are always in bags. However, we've also used the Handirack for a short distance with bare skis - you just have to watch that the bindings don't rub on the roof (I think we put some on their edges).
snow conditions
The magnetic ones are fine for short journeys, but I'd not be keen on using them for longer trips. Also, they aren't recommended for use at motorway speeds (at least the ones I had weren't). They had a strap that you jammed in the window to prevent you losing the skis completely if it came off, but I'd still prefer a proper roofrack for proper journeys
ski holidays
TBH most of the journeys would be a few miles on mountain roads between resorts or to the lifts. Was thiking it might be a bit of a faff tieing skis on to a handyrack unless they were in a bag
latest report
If you've four pairs or fewer then it's a doddle. There are 5 D-rings down the strap that runs between each pair of tubes and they supply tie-down straps with a one-way buckle. All you have to do is feed the strap over each pair of skis and then through the next D-ring then run it back over the top when your done.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
TBH most of the journeys would be a few miles on mountain roads between resorts or to the lifts. Was thiking it might be a bit of a faff tieing skis on to a handyrack unless they were in a bag

Not a faff at all, if you know how to do it. You wouldn't want to drive any distance with them in a bag 'cos it would flap around making a horrible noise.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/thule_xtender_ski_carrier_no_tu739_6_pairs_skis_or_4_snowboards/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvENtTOB

absolutely brilliant, I've had one for 12 years and it's still going strong - though I had to buy a few spares when I lost a bag of bits during the summer sometime. They won't fit on all bars, though. The roof box company is brilliant - they will answer queries promptly and provide guidance.

I have the Norauto own brand version of these, and they're excellent. Clip clip, zoooooom. No faff.

Always used to do all ours up there in their ski bags, due to stories about the salty road kickup being bad for them. Nobody else seems to do this.
latest report
Quote:

There are 5 D-rings down the strap that runs between each pair of tubes and they supply tie-down straps with a one-way buckle. All you have to do is feed the strap over each pair of skis and then through the next D-ring then run it back over the top when your done.

gotcha thanks. wondered if that would be secure enough of whether you need to wind the strap around each pair then through d-rings - good to know. sounds ideal
latest report
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_simple_ski_carrier_vertical_no_tu562_2_pairs_skis_square_bars_only_/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5x0o

I use these for my skis, they are excellent. It takes about 2 minutes to put them on the roof rack, and they are very cheap. No need to remove the bike racks. I then use a bungee as well as the provided rubber clip. I cannot see why people in the UK worry about carrying them in bags, nobody in the rest of Europe seems to worry!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy