Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden Lad's Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to head to Solden for 14th December 2014.

I've convinced my friend to branch out from the 3 Valleys and head into Austria on the promise of far better apres ski. Just wondering if anyone on here had been to Solden in mid December and could tell me if the apres is as good as later in the season? As busy or not comparable?

No concerns really about the snow, Solden is so high up and has 2 glaciers so should have no issues!

Cheers guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
samturton, Not been but I would guess there will be more going on in terms of apres ski in Solden at this time of the season than in some other lower resorts. Another option to try would be Ischgl.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to Sölden before christmas. Whereas it's not as busy as in peak season (which is probably too busy) - as Tom W says, there's a lot more Apres Ski going on than in other ski resorts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should be there in a week or so for the end of season. My only experience of the place is from closing weekends, so it's as useless to you as most of the internet. I don't really do "apres" either. They have good Weissbier everywhere (including the airports). There are still tobacco smokers around so it can be unpleasant in restaurants and difficult to find smoke-free hotel rooms without ashtrays in them. That's getting better, but it's still not illegal.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As said will not be as lively as main season but still should be good as one of the few areas really worth sking that time for season. Personally though my least favourite of the major Austrian resorts for Apres unless lads Europop bars is your thing. We tried every bar and none did for us. Sölden for skiing but as suggested Ischgl would be a better option for apres in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wink It's hard to know what people think is "good" - some people obviously like Europop.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some apres ski options mentioned in this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2481135&highlight=solden#2481135
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think more than a few do obviously like Europop as Soelden is a lively resort. Love the skiing in Soelden and not adverse to a bit of Eurosport but on a day/night trip from Obergurgl could not find a single bar to the lads taste and I tried hard as wanted to convince them to come for a week. The main strip is not particularly attractive, not great variety and it's got the feel of a summer package holiday resort. I would certainly happily go there in December just not everyone's taste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TTT,

Did you try this place?

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Madeye-Smiley How did we miss that! I thought we tried every bar between the gondolas. My friends are easily amused so may well have done the trick. I think there might have been a name change since I was last there. Still its Austria so better apres than anywhere in France Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agreed on the main strip (on which there is also a strip club, of course), which I don't find hugely pretty summer or winter.

In summer I drive through there but generally don't stop are better places for climbing/ walking from.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, lol been there, it was near our hotel but it was quiet and no, I didn't get lucky! Since samturton, has done a runner, I'll add that the apres in Solden is mental. The music sucked but Schrimbar was as insane a place as I've ever been to. Then when they kick you out of there at 7ish, hop over to Fire and Ice and continue the night. I don't remember anything after 1am the last night of the trip. I woke up cuddling my snowboard, in my blackened snow gear with a taste of sick and burger in my mouth...lovely!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When we were in Solden last December the pre - Christmas week we stayed at the Karl Riml with Skiworld. The Lucky Shag is one end of the same building and was shut as the resort was quiet.

A few bars were busy early eg Schirmbar but overall there was not the nightlife Solden is known for except on Sat night as I guess there are loads of weekend visitors.

Also it is almost all blokes out at night - we did wonder where all the women went to !

If you get around all the 3 Valleys when there ie hard skiing every day you may find Solden a bit limited. I thought it was great for a week especially as we could let the kids ski off knowing they could not end up in another valley as they had to end up back in Solden. The snow making is excellent too and the pistes are bashed to perfection day and night including the blacks.

We found the piste restaurants much better value than the 3 Valleys and generally the built environment is well designed and more sympathetic to the mountains than in France.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
went there in late December and also in February, totally different!!
not much open till just after xmas, they have a bit going on for the opening races then it seems to die back again
those places that are open are dead... end of january it seems to pick up though
the Black and gold is open whihc has good music but is quiet till mid feb.

I'm looking to go the 9th december for a week, but will be happy to eat and drink in hotel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

generally the built environment is well designed and more sympathetic to the mountains than in France.

than some places in France, maybe, but there are lots of prettier places in both France and Austria than Solden.

Quote:

we did wonder where all the women went to !

need you really ask?
Quote:

I don't remember anything after 1am the last night of the trip. I woke up cuddling my snowboard, in my blackened snow gear with a taste of sick and burger in my mouth...
Laughing
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
... I woke up cuddling my snowboard, in my blackened snow gear with a taste of sick and burger in my mouth...lovely!

Which just goes to show that different folks like different things.
ski holidays
pam w, sorry should have been clearer I meant that the on piste buildings were in a different league compared to those in the French resorts I have been to both in terms of design and build quality.

I do agree re I needn't have asked where the women went !
ski holidays
Quote:

The snow making is excellent too and the pistes are bashed to perfection day and night including the blacks.

I did not. They bashed them all the time, even the blacks. Very few interesting bump fields.
snow conditions
pam w, have you actually been to Sölden or are you basing your pointless statement just on the comments you have read here?

The main drag in Sölden is not as bad as people here say, nor does it have trucks, etc thundering through as the road only goes as far as the Gurgls. The Trimmelsjoch (pass into Italy) is closed all winter (and longer some years) and is forbidden to any large vehicles, even the buses in summer are special ones. The Dorfstrasse is a shopping and accommodation section that most tourists use, it is not as pretty as some but a red light district it ain't. There is one "prominent" lap dancing club, which many people use as proof the whole village is a den of iniquity. How many of the "lads" on Lads Trips have ever staggered over the river to the main part of the village? There you have a typical high Alpine valley settlement which is quiet as far as the tourists are concerned but lively enough for the people who live there all year round.

I visit quite often both in winter and in summer. I walk along the main street where everything can be found; supermarkets, bars, restaurants, sports shops, etc.; without being in fear of my life from traffic or traffickers. But across the river there are also shops, bakers, pharmacies and all the things you need for a permanent population as well as some very reasonably priced excellent restaurants. The ski slopes are reached by two major cable car systems and one of these can be avoided by using an additional lift to the middle station. There are some big queues at the beginning of the day at the Giggijoch, but as others have said, being clued up about the major use times means you can avoid them.

Après activities are not depraved as sometimes painted or expected: predominantly the boozing, etc is done in bars etc close to the Giggijoch lift station, so if that is your intention, then stay at that end of town. The Gaislachkogl end is quieter (despite the afore-mentioned lap dancing bar), which is why most of the 4 and 5 star hotels are either at this end or behind the main drag.

I think that the Östztaler who live in the Sölden section of the valley have been extremely clever: they have kept the possible sources of problems separate from their own lives and environment. Containment is the key to crowd control we are constantly told, and they have achieved this perfectly. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I spent last season in Solden, and agree with everything you said but one point, there's 3 strip clubs Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, to be fair, there are prettier villages just in Ötztal, let alone the rest of Austria and France!! Can't fault the scenery up there though; it's an awesome valley.
snow report
springbok45, one prominent is what I said and it is a lap dancing club not a strip one as far as I understand it. Although the last time I was there I did notice another boys/lads type one on the other side of the road towards the Tirolerhof!

clarky999, The other side of the river is the better side, but most tourists near go there! Yes there are prettier villages anywhere (I'll count mine among them). But to diss the whole place without having been there is a disservice and should not go unchallenged. Any dull Austrian resort beats concrete purpose built monstrosities like the high level French resorts so beloved of the early/late season crowd who believe that it is the only place where skiing is possible! wink Actually, Langenfeld is my favourite in the Ötztal, the 5* hotel at the Therme is amazing, but my hidden gem is just off the main street, Gasthof and Metzger combined the food is amazing!
ski holidays
I thought this was a thread about a ski resort for a lad's trip Puzzled
Cold be wrong but I'm guessing how pretty the village is, or where to buy cupcakes isn't top criteria.

So a quick tinternet search shows 3 lapdance bars .....

Club Mirage
Hasenhütte
Rodelhütte

http://youtube.com/v/KRNY_QeSAE8

Nightlife in Sölden link.
http://www.soelden.com/nightlife
snow conditions
Evening all, well I did a bit of pole dancing there with Ms SamSue a few years ago lol
Also stumbled in to a bar late on with bikini clad athletic Eastern European women hanging upside down from the rafters
So ... lads trip ... Probably ok

Boarding was good too !
ski holidays
Quote:

But to diss the whole place without having been there is a disservice and should not go unchallenged

Nobody dissed the whole place; massive over-reaction, just for a change. Laughing
snow report
pam w, Took you long enough to reply, slow day reading and responding to all the other threads yesterday? Laughing Laughing
snow report
Samerberg Sue, no, really couldn't be rrsed. But your silly reference to "dissing the whole place" roused me out of my torpor. I should really learn to let your defensive exaggerations go in one ear and out the other.
snow report
Well the good news is that the vomiting people seem to have left Solden for now at least. It's raining in the village, snow up top, but tomorrow's the last day, and it'll probably be a white out like today was.

Solden seems a bit like Blackpool to me. It's mostly done by the time I get here, but it obviously caters for "lads". It's hardly sophisticated stuff.

My personal main gripe is restaurants and hotels which stink like ashtrays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
well I did a bit of pole dancing there with Ms SamSue a few years ago lol

I didn't realise you two were both pole dancers, was it a double act? Is it part of a long career path, a vocation or were you young and just needed the money?
snow report
There's what appears to be a gay metal bar too, I felt like I was drinking in a Judas Priest video. Good beer tho.

There's not "good Weiss beer" everywhere, at top of Giggijoch there is only bottled Stieglweiss, not too pleasant.

BTW, I saw adverts for a local brewery, but never saw their beer on sale in the pubs. Weird.
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
.. There's not "good Weiss beer" everywhere, at top of Giggijoch there is only bottled Stieglweiss, not too pleasant....

wink I don't ride under the influence, so I was talking therefore about the village, not the slopes. I did find some places where they only served Weiss in 33cl glasses too - not really the thing.

Some photos from last weekend in Sölden. Overall there was excellent snow, with temperatures being perfect on Sunday, not spring-like at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy