Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Chalet hotel Berangere, L2A

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We just come back from a very pleasant week with Mark Warner in their Chalet Hotel Berangere in L2A. This was our first time in both that resort and with Mark Warner. Me and hubby have skied together for a good number of years and we have a 4 and 7yr old. Since having our first child we have done 2 DIY ski holidays with relatives, and then 2 ski holidays with Esprit since having both girls. So this will become a bit of a comparison between the two.

We booked this holiday Jan 2013 as then MW didn't realise the week commencing 13th April was a school holiday week, so had it priced as low season. This made them so much cheaper than Esprit then (to the tune of £1k! Once all was costed). We chose the BA flights (as they weren't surcharging it then) which meant more civilized flight times, and catering included Happy. Arriving in Grenoble we noticed the first difference, we were directed to the coach rough direction by the MW rep which meant crossing roads with pads of bags and two children, thankfully ours are now both walking and follow instructions well, so I lead the way carrying hand luggage, and pulling two cases, getting the girls to follow me holding hands, while hubby carried the heavy holdall bag, and the boot bags and took up the rear. With Esprit they always helped you with the bags to the coach leaving me with a hands to hold onto (or carry) the girls.

We arrived after more like 2hr transfer, to find afternoon tea available and the staff handle getting your luggage to the room (same as Esprit). The teas were definitely the better than I have experienced anywhere, far more choice on over and plentiful. The soup was always identifiable flavours and labeled (unlike Esprits in Belle Plagne which was clearly all the previous nights left overs turned into a soup which was rarely palatable!). We booked interconnecting rooms, 105 & 106 which were spacious and although had some damage and repairs, perfectly acceptable. A very nice touch was an Easter egg on each of the girls beds.

The first evening there was no evening snuggle club, we booked the earliest time slot we could (where the more civilized flight times showed their downside!), and had the girls with us - though we had taken them to the 5pm children's high tea, as they don't do baby listening like Esprit. Thankfully we had stayed at my parents house close to gatwick, so didn't have a too early a start but still the girls got to bed a lot later than was good for them. Sad. Other nights we used the snuggle club but unfortunately the sleep beds aren't in a separate room so my youngest was distracted by the video being played so rarely got any sleep and even if she did it was a lot later than she is used to.

The food always had several choices and was Reasonable over all some dishes were nice others just OK. It did come out promptly thankfully as we found ourselves rushing our food (and often skipping third course) so that we could get the girls up to bed sooner. This is where the Esprit baby listening service is MUCH better with younger children.

The girls lessons were with Evolution 2 - which we were able to observe several times and we were always very happy with what we observed, though they aren't accompanied by a MW staff like Esprit which would have been better. The girls also were in Mini Club and Kids club, which both enjoyed. One thing which was better with Mark Warner was that you can chose what your children have for both lunch and high tea and the choice was extensive (and included some variation each day). With kids club this can go on until 7pm where they have dinner, but we felt that was too late for our 7 yr old so we always signed her up for high tea and collected her early. They both enjoyed the clubs and when we tried to collect our 4 yr old early she always decided she didn't want to come with us early and would rather stay in club.

The hotel would be ski in ski out, if the snow had been better, but as it was we didn't have too long a (muddy!) walk across the grassy piste to the bottom of the chair. The snow wasn't the best (very hard) but there was plenty of skiing higher up, but a lot of closed runs. Given how poor a year it has been late season, we are happy with our choice for going this late, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, it did make it hard going for our girls to learn on, despite that my eldest improved massively during the week and when we skied with her on the last day I was worried by how fast she lead us... But was clearly in control, comfortable and loving it! My youngest found it hard going but again improved on last year, she is still very young!

Over all a good holiday, I am glad we are going with Esprit next year as knowing that my girls are asleep at a time they need allows you to enjoy the evening in social company, which I missed out on this time. However on the same score, once Keira is 6 - she will probably be happier during the day on less sleep, there were times we were struggling with her being rather grumpy due to lack of sleep. It would help if she was capable of sleeping past 6am in the morning!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ - I enjoyed reading your trip report. Roll on five years and your eldest will be carrying your ski boots as well as wheeling her own case and both girls will be going to sleep at the same time as you Toofy Grin However by then you might have to wake them in the morning Laughing

We went to Les Arcs the week before your trip to L2A and were amazed at how well the snow was holding up in the warm conditions. A couple of times we got on chairlifts with Esprit ski school children who must have been staying in Les Arcs 2000. I'd definitely recommend the Les Arcs ski area for Easter if you haven't been there already. Although I see you have booked Austria for next year!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowymum, we were in Belle Plagne for the same week last year, Iknow last year was exceptional so wasn't sure what their conditions are like in a normal year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your report NickyJ, very useful.

Think you've read my comments on our very positive experience with Esprit in Tignes last week.

I think the staff also make a massive difference and can be the key differentiating factor between TOs - hit and miss last year in Peisey, great this time in Tignes (it's a bit of lottery) ...

Our kids (6Y + 4Y) were in the Evo 2 classes this year, our 4Y old terror was parallel skiing on some turns (and in 30CM of powder) - I was actually in awe by his progress.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, my 4yr old found the very hard conditions really challenging, let's face it is much harder when you fall on it, and it is difficult to find an edge when you are still learning how to.

I saw your feedback, and was pleased to see you had such a good time and better snow conditions than us! However, that can't be blamed on the TO.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
franga, were the Evo 2 classes done through Esprit? As in Belle Plagne and Courchevel when we went they were using ESF. In Courchevel I was really impressed but in Belle Plagne I was very disappointed with the Spritelet lessons, we found them being taught by the snow rangers (Esprit staff), while the ESF instructors were concentrating on the French ESF children who were in the same snow garden! When we complained they did take it up and it improved but I did feel a bit let down that I had to see that and complain rather than the snow rangers bringing that issue up on our behalf with their management to raise with ESF.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your willing to share, how much did it cost? Just had a quick look for next year on mw and it's £3588 for a family of 4 on the 5th April flying from gatwick.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, yes they were arranged with Esprit.

Our 6Y was in Improvers Extra - 5 kids in the AM class but for some reason he was the only child in the PM guided fun session (so a private lesson each day for him). I spoke to his AM instructor a couple of times and he came across as nice and friendly. My son was certainly pleased with him.

Our little one was in Spriteless and again he was in a private lesson setting (most of the Esprit chalets were full so can't quite understand why no more 3-4 year olds arounds, maybe we were just lucky) - that's why he progressed so fast I think.

Hopefully your Belle Plagne experience was a one-off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep franga, I am hoping it was. Being St Anton it won't be an issue. In Couchevel there were only 3 in the Spritelets, but there were loads of them when we were in Belle Plagne.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, PM sent
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One thing I meant to say, was one feature which was very good which I haven't known before was that Evolution 2 had at least 2 reps in the bar on the late afternoon / early evening you can speak to, to find out how the girls were getting on in lessons, and ask questions of. I noticed on girls going with parent to ask to go down a group as she didn't feel comfortable with the level of the group which was cheerfully organised. This was a really good feature I thought, though I am not sure if this is standard Mark Warner or an Evolution 2 thing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, I know this hotel well, it was showing its age when I last visited a few years ago but had previously been of a very high standard (Relais & Chateau listing; Michelin starred restaurant) so was evidently well-equipped before MW took control. Some heavy duty maintenance was definitely required in my opinion though; how are the swimming pools and spa facilities holding up?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We didn't use them - but definitely agree the whole hotel needs some serious maintenance. Even he balcony wooden surrounds were splitting etc, we warned the girls not to touch it to ensure no splinters. On the same score though everything was functional, no way would I class it as luxurious.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy