Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is there for kids after standard ski school.... help please.

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

I'm looking for a little advice on an idea for a Kids/Teen Academy. If there are points that you think would be helping for educating the kids i would be very grateful.

I've been working as an instructor for about 8 years with both ESF/Brit schools. I notice that once kids get to the level where they can rip around there isnt much for them. So we have the idea of running a little academy in the busier weeks where those kids can have a go at racing, freestlye, off-piste.

For the off-piste there would be mountain safety with transceivers, shovel, probe etc
We have access to a great park with air bag etc
Off the back of JJC (instructor race training) we have all the kit for racing

Is there anything else that you think we could cover?

In my opinion it would be a good way of getting kids educated for the mountain once they are too old for lessons and also giving the younger ones an idea of what they would like to do (race, off-piste, Gap, instructor...). Hopefully this will keep them in the sport and guide them to taking the right steps in the future.

There may be similar things in other areas but in the Porte du Soleil no one offers this.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey James.

Yea we do it at TDC here in the EK. Semi popular but then again as we don't do kids group lessons in the first place we don't have a natural pick up of kids from a lower level into the packages. Market it right and teach it right and the kids / teens love it!

Steve
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jjc james, yes, I think that would all go down well. I saw notices in Les Contamines a couple of years ago advertising "skiercross" sessions for kids who had attained a sufficiently high ski level - I should think that that (and boardercross) would be popular too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it is a very good idea. Lots of my friends when they had young teenagers, often far more able than their parents, got really stuck for what to do with their offspring once 'normal' ski school became too boring! As a parent I would be very happy with the aspect of mountain safety being hammered into the youngsters in a fun way by instructors they would respect!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This exists over here. Gnerally termed 'All Mountain programmes'. The ones at sunshine take them into Delerium Dive etc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jjc james, excellent idea Very Happy Ours reached a good standard through ESI levels and after that we have given them (Christmas presents often) 2 hour lessons booked with an instructor friend who takes them off the beaten track and at greater speeds than us. He enjoys it too. I think off piste safety training for teens would be invaluable and something that would be appropriate after spending the money on ski school and lessons in the first place Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
igLou,
Quote:

2 hour lessons booked with an instructor who takes them off the beaten track and at greater speeds than us

^^^^This is what we did for ours - they have done well with it too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
igLou,
Quote:

2 hour lessons booked with an instructor who takes them off the beaten track and at greater speeds than us

^^^^This is what we did for ours - they have done well with it too.

Yeah i ended up teaching a lot of 2 hour race, bumps, off piste etc lessons where we couldn't really get into it or cover all aspects. Price wise we are looking at £300ish for 3 hours each morning and a private in some of the schools is 140-200 for 2 hours (in peak weeks). So it would defo cover way more safety, tech and fun.

One of the issues with ski cross and the park side of things is suitable equipment as hardly any kids will turn up with a back protector... but if they knew in advance it could be done. even just buying a ton and hiring them out.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-04-14 14:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus, how do you deal with the transceivers do you just have a certain amount to give them on arrival? Or advise they get their own so they are familiar with it when skiing in their own group?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about including video of them skiing and at the end of the week ( maybe last two days ) do an on/offpiste video in the style of a real ski/board video they would buy/watch with all members having a part.
during the week you would do general piste skiing/boarding maybe some half pipe skier cross jumps onto the air bag ( don't show the bag Smile ). Then move onto offpiste skiing and do the same good camera angles will produce some fantastic images that make it look a lot more extreme than it actually was, plus some high speed camera stuff as well.

Involve the kids in aspects of the shoot as well and music selection this could be done in the evening ( one or two ) giving parents a chance to go out for a romantic meal minus the kids. Also I think once you get it established you and your fellow instructors would have just as much fun.

The stuff filmed the other days means you should have some great scenes for each person even if they have an off day that makes them look like a real pro.

At the end of the week you compile all the video footage and each kid gets their own "professional" movie starring themselves and the other kids ( signed parental permission may be need at initial sign up for the course).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds like a good idea to me too.

Mine had done all the ski school stuff up to competition by the age of 11, had skied with the local ski club for a season and had his fleche vermeil. We went down the same route as Megamum and iglou in subsequent years which was fine for continuing to develop his skiing/ letting him ski at the pace and on the terrain that he was capable of, but it would have been great for him to be able to join a group of other kids to do a similar thing and get the social element of things too
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jjc james, when mine started to venture off-piste even though just through the trees and down routes with the instructors I blew the budget on bleeps for them - they are possibly still not strong enough to dig, but with the bleeps I got shovels and probes on the basis that it won't be many more years until they go off by themselves and need it anyway. At the moment they just carry transceivers and practice with them at home. I also got kit and if I know they are going to play through the trees when we ski as a family I take the shovel and probe in case they don't re-appear at the indicated spot in a reasonable time. We tend to wear the bleeps at all times now I have them, I know we are said to be safe on-piste, but you wouldn't want to find yourself in a situation where you thought 'they're doing a huge amount of good on the work surface in the apartment aren't they rolling eyes !!'

Annie, I gave mine the option of doing race training sessions, but they saw more fun in skiing the whole mountain as a pair with an instructor. Given that instructors assured us that they would learn just as much free skiing with them for a couple of hours this is the route we went down. We know from lift pass data that they probably ski as much in their 4 hours total as they would ski with us in the family group!! Shocked So it clearly works for them Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In the US most mountains offer a team program - http://squaw.com/ski-teams - shows all the ones Squaw Valley offers. These could be adapted to just fit a week long schedule, rather than the whole season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, the private ski instructor option for your children is the advantage of having them close enough together in age and/or ability so that can ski together with the instructor/guide and enjoy themselves. However we had friends with children either too far apart in age or ability for that to be a fun choice. I think that's where the OP`s idea would come in very useful.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a family of three where the child is probably the best skier, he's starting to become a bit bored skiing with the olds. I try to keep up, but even though the OH is the more technically sound than me she doesn't like trying to keep up. Jnr has suggested he do snowboarding lessons, but I know there's so much more he can be learning with his skiing that I've tried to poo-poo this idea and suggested we go for park, off piste or gates tuition instead.

This sort of course would be perfect for him.

jjc james, we were in Valmeinier at half term too and really liked the area. Although I did nearly get taken out by an ESF instructor (and the many children following him) who decided to jump off a lip at high speed onto a busy piste (not that you want to hear my moans!).
latest report
Cheers for all the feedback will let you know how it all comes along!
latest report
I think there are an increasing number of smaller ski schools getting the same idea and putting on some quite well thought through programmes for children and teenagers who have progressed through normal ski school. Marmalade is one that springs to mind:

http://www.skimarmalade.com/whats-on-offer/marmalades-youth/
ski holidays
kieranm, I took a look at that Marmalade one from your link. The thing that doesn't work for my own situation with something like that is the every-day nature of it and the regular timing. What we have enjoyed, since the kids skied off the top of standard ski school, is the freedom of our own timing on the mountain. Not being tied every day to be in a certain location at a fixed time twice daily. This is where the private instructor works for us - it is only a couple of times a week and gives us the freedom of our timing as adults to ski when we want to without constantly worrying about 'can we get back in time' and the worry associated with planning on a certain lift to get back to somewhere and then finding it has a half-hour queue rolling eyes . So this is why we book 2 X 2 hrs with the private instructor.

However, a half-way house would work, providing the kids got to ski with other teens of a similar level I would be happy for them to ski as part of a small group (it would no doubt be cheaper!! Smile ) for say 1.5 days in a week. So what would work for us is a scheme whereby a ski school offered say a half-day and then perhaps a full days 'ski the whole mountain' skiing in a week as part of an able group of similar aged teens. Say on a Monday morning and then all day on Wednesday. Ideally with an age split which put both kids in the same class - though this would be icing on cake stuff wink .
latest report
jjc james, there is something like this in your neck of the woods wink BASS Chatel run a Junior All Mountain programme which works well and they are looking to develop it further. Generally running on peak weeks, generally with the same instructors and with a significant number of repeat clients the instructors really get to know the kids and their abilities, it's for older kids and teens who ski hard and fast at a high level all over the mountain. They have PDS passes and ski the whole area including the Stash, Bag and the rest. My son has done seven weeks in this group now snowHead
latest report
sarah, is it an all day or half day programme. I have worked for BASS and ran a few All Mountains, this academy would be far more in depth. almost a bridge between ski school and professional instructing/competing there is only so much you can do in 2 hours when most suitable terrain is a couple of lifts away from the meeting point. thats one of the things we are trying to move away from by using the race training, park and all mountain. Not just skiing terrain as a blue, red, all mountain.

Megamum, we are either half day or full day, there just isnt the time to really cover anything other than the blast around factor otherwise.
ski holidays
jjc james, officially it's two hours which is not long enough, but last week we had enough kids for an exclusive group and did half days. Hoping it will be developed a bit more for next season, I have given them my feedback.
latest report
James, For us with a mixed ability family; what you need to do is offer a fully catered all day session; "drop off and forget"; maybe with a known (or planned) lunch stop so we could (if we wanted) meet them for lunch.

We have used the St. Anton ski school for a while and they offer proper all day lessons; AKA lunch with the instructor so we could leave them all day.

Michael skied with me this year and we skied all the Alpe d'Huez area in the morning; collected my wife and daughter from ski school at lunch and then returned them to ski school after lunch. bit of a pain for us; but OK I suppose.

Next time we ski as a family; we are not sure what to do with Michael!

Do you forsee being able to set full SL or GS courses for the kids? Michael would be interested in a few full-on race days and probably all mountain / park etc.
snow conditions
jjc james, Interesting idea. Not relevant to my children as they are not yet at that stage, but I think the idea has potential. On our last two skiing holidays we have seen friends' children give up on ski school after 2-3 days simply because the ski school seemed unable to cater for any child with more than about five weeks experience. They were lumped in with children of far lower experience/ability and became bored witless very fast indeed.
latest report
Quote:

They were lumped in with children of far lower experience/ability

Yup, that's what we found. Mine stuck it out (they are like that), but got nothing from it. We went private lessons after that.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

They were lumped in with children of far lower experience/ability

Yup, that's what we found. Mine stuck it out (they are like that), but got nothing from it. We went private lessons after that.

We've had that too, that's when we needed to look for the ski school first and resort second.
latest report
scooby_simon, yeah could defo do full courses, we have enough gates to set 3 + brushes, stubbies etc

Megamum, the difference with this is it isnt just skiiing around, they are training so if you had a course/park they would be having a go, getting feedback, having another go. Coaching where possible from 1 location and having the kids lap around on one lift. That way they never wait on a slower kid. Obviously off piste is different but when conditions are poor we'd do more of the other stuff, not just dragging them round the mountain for the sake of it.

For example 2 weeks ago snow conditions would have made this the best plan:

9.15-11.15 Snow is Rock hard, ski piste SL, GS, Technical

11.30-1.30 Softens up a bit ski some off piste play with transceivers

2.00-4.00 Too slushy on and off piste so head to park to play on the terrain and features...
snow conditions
sarah,foxtrotzulu, Megamum, the top level of the ESF programme is very high (no doubt jjc james could describe it in detail). But maybe that level is not taught every week? And maybe they will only take kids who have come through their system, so they can be sure of their standard. Have your kids really exceeded that level? I've seen ESF groups shooting very fast down unpisted black runs, and doing some pretty nifty looking slaloms.
latest report
pam w, To be fair, in both cases I mentioned above it wasn't ESF. However, I do wonder if even the ESF would have the same issues. It's not so much that the ski schools are unable to teach to a higher level, it's more that if you aren't in the very biggest resort at the peak of the season [last week of March, before the State schools break up] then they don't have the number of students to justify running a class at that level. Actually, I'm not sure if that really is the reason, that's just my take on it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, I booked a cross-country course with ESF at New Year. In the event there were 3 of us in the class, but it still ran. But I can imagine that they're not running all the levels, every week. Something to check out early on, before booking other aspects of a holiday, maybe.

From my own observation (round the family and friends) kids tend to think they have "grown out of" ski school at relatively modest levels of attainment. The French seem to take it for granted, much more than Brits do, that the kids go each year until they have genuinely graduated the programme.

My own kids, once they had (in 2 out of 3 cases) a relatively modest level of ability, wanted to racket round the mountain with friends and cousins. Which they did - we generally went to places (e.g. Valmeinier/Valloire) where they were not likely to get themselves into too terrible trouble.
snow report
pam w, well as a UK, not brilliant skiing parent what do I base my judgement of 'they have outgrown standard ski school' on?

All I have to go on is what I see and what I have been told by other instructors. What I see is that the last two times (i.e. two years running) they attended 'regular ski school' which would have been with Arc Adventures they came back with the highest badge levels they could attain. It was their instructors then that told me that they were learning nothing from normal ski school and that the next stage was race training or general all mountain skiing under instructor guidance and they didn't fancy the former. I know that with an instructor they have skied the black from the top of Aiguille rouge to its end in Les Arcs, also that they have skied a mogulled Marielle (black) in VT. They have also been taken down slalom runs, down steep off piste areas and through the trees in Ski amade. I haven't nothing, but this sort of evidence to base my assessment on. I think they are 'pretty good' and IMO they ought to be as although it's only been holiday skiing they have been doing it since they were 3 years old - My eldest is slightly tidier because she tries all the time, my youngest can be tidy when he wants to be, but would rather have more fun on the journey down LOL. From what I am told (after all - WT*DIK) they are beyond normal ski school and who am I to argue?
latest report
Megamum, If they've passed all the levels they can do in ski school (including the ESF or equivalent Austrian) then they no doubt have outgrown ski school. But a lot of kids (including my own) reckon they have done so long before they really have!
snow conditions
jjc james,

have a look at what Spirit do in Arc 1950 - http://www.spirit1950.com/en/ski.aspx They spotted quite early on that a parallel strategy was required because with so many Brit owners coming out with children doing 2, 3, 4 weeks a year, it was clearly a different market to those more traditionally doing 1 week per year.

And of course if you go back to when we learnt, it was only at 14, 15, 16 you started going with the school. So the idea of 'not locals', but 9 or 10 year old with 20 weeks experience (see for example Mini Roll) is relatively new, and not everyone has seen the changing demographic yet. Sounds like you may have!
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, I think that's a very astute observation. Mine won't have had quite that 20 weeks by the age of 9-10, but they probably had 6-8 weeks by then and my eldest probably has 16 or so weeks now at age 13. We have been able to do a couple of weeks a year for a few years (though not this year Sad ) As you say that is probably a change from, say, 25 years ago. In fact when mine learned they would beat many of the local kids in the end of week ski race when they were about 5 or 6 years old (the eldest won one year which I suspect put a few noses 'out of joint' Laughing Toofy Grin ).
snow report
Q. What is there for kids after standard ski school.... help please.?

A. TELEMARK!

http://youtube.com/v/F3jMHXe2pn4

http://youtube.com/v/50mmdvwQ1Vo

http://youtube.com/v/FE10C8k6avo
snow report
pam w, my son is like Arctic Roll's daughter and has had 18 weeks by the age of 9.
snow conditions
I was a bit confused by some of the comments - surely when the kids get to this point they can just ski with you all day. Then I realised that the problem is that the kids are outskiing the parents Very Happy

Our two are 9 and 11 and have done about 10 weeks each. They are a lot of fun to ski with now. Just done 5 days in which they didnt have any lessons and skied with me all over the place (easy off-piste, black mogul runs, etc). We have been putting them in private lessons (together or with another couple of friends where possible) for 2 hours a day. Pricy but much better VFM than ski school IMO. I think they are now at the point that we may do what Megamum suggests and just book a couple of private lessons a week.

Getting back to the OP, I'd love to have the option of dropping the kids into that kind of programme for a couple of days a week but I'd not commit to a full week - I actually want to spend more time skiing with them.
snow report
I think it is a fantastic idea, and is exactly the kind of think I would have loved to have done as a teenager (if I had been a good enough skier!).

I do think that three days of full days would be a better course option though - gives the family some time together and also means you have a good length of time to take the group to the best areas and don't have to waste too much of the lesson 'getting there' and 'getting back'.

I don't think you should have to say 'we'll be at x mountain hut for lunch' because that limits where you can go if conditions change. And really, what 13 year old wants their mummy dropping in on their extreme all mountain ski club to give them a kiss at lunchtime?!?

pam w people aren't saying their children are better than the super douper top ESF level, they are saying they aren't getting anything out of the ski school available to them. Factor in an English speaking guide requirement and enough people to run the courses and I doubt many English holiday children get access to the best ESF level classes.
ski holidays
jedster,
Quote:

I'd love to have the option of dropping the kids into that kind of programme for a couple of days a week but I'd not commit to a full week - I actually want to spend more time skiing with them.

Def. this ^^^ I think two days would be attractive as an option.
snow conditions
Quote:

And really, what 13 year old wants their mummy dropping in on their extreme all mountain ski club to give them a kiss at lunchtime?!?

Laughing

A two-day option sounds good to me - sensible balance between family ski time and stretching the kids. A long time till any of mine need that, though I dare say the time goes very quickly. It would be pretty expensive, though - two days in a small group?
latest report
Our local ESF has c. 60 instructors I think (i.e. it's not very big) and offers 4 kids classes once they've got their etoile d'or: evasion, competition 1, competition 2 (Bronze Chamois/Fleche and above) and freestyle. It offers everything from 1 morning to 6 full days. Is this unusual? I'm amazed that the PdS don't have an equivalent of that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy