Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for a first time seasonnaire!

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd ask a few questions on here with regards to working next season. Loved my skiing ever since I first got on skis so im looking to make the most of my youth and do a season!

Basically whats the best way of going about it? Would love to be able to afford an instructors course but its outta my price range.
I have experience in hospitality which may come in handy and am willing to learn a new language.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monkeyboy1991, If you want maximum hill time with minimum responsibility a good job is Kitchen porter / Night porter. I can recommend Skiworld as a good TO to work for.

They will be taking applications in early May.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monkeyboy1991, If the 1991 refers to your date of birth then as a slightly more mature guy you could pitch for a more upmarket team like Mark Warner. Any TO will look for folk that can speak the language rather than a promise (enrolment on a course pre interview may help). You also need to narrow down your search as to what type of resort you want to go - the following questions may help
Is it all about the skiing?
Or is après the overriding factor?
Are you self funded or is the old man helping?
Any particular country?
Do you want a long season or would 3.5 months do?
Different resorts attract different types of client and often different types of seasonnaire - this may be background, type of school, method of funding - basically where do you fit in?
Do you have a wad to fund an apt and look for work when you get here or are you reliant on a employer for accommodation?
Do you have a clean driving licence? - transfer companies are always looking for reliable staff to drive 9 seaters (normal driving licence) and some tour ops do the final resort runs in minibuses.

Just a few thoughts to narrow down your search - competition is tuff so its always worth having your s*** in one sock before applying. Best of luck and have a great time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
If you really want to work on your language skills, it might be a good idea to find a job in the resort rather than with an english TO. The resort i work it has a job pool where they advertise jobs, so i guess different resorts do so. You need to decide where you would like to be based. The pay with a TO is not great but then you don't have lot's of expenses and quite a bit of time on the hill!
What about a secretary rol in a ski school, might get you in a sponsorship deal for your instructors courses??

Good luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I would try and earn as much money in the UK between now and the start of the season and then come out to a resort with a few quid in your pocket. If you have enough money to sort out your own accommodation you can then look for work which suits what you want to do. The questions chocksaway, asks are really important as it will help narrow down what you want to get out of the season. It may be different in other places, but certainly in Austria if you can get even a basic understanding of German it will set you aside from the majority of the seasonaires.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I just got back from working a season in morzine with alpine elements, if your main priority is hill time and apres, do what i did and work as a kitchen porter. The work is easy and you get alot of free time, on average i had 6 hours every day to ski. I even had 6 hours on most transfer days, for me it was the perfect job. Onething i will say is don't come out on a season and expect it to be a doss, yes you get alot of hill time but you are expected to put in the work to earn that privilege. If your employer doesn't think your doing your job to the correct standard you can expect your lift pass to be taken off you.

Budgeting is 100% key, i earnt 280 euros a month. which yes is pretty dire, but all of my food, accommodation, li8ft pass, ski hire etc was paid for. My only expense was alcohol and thats dirt cheap in france anyway. If you are planning this far in advance save every penny you can, you dont realise how nice it is to go and eat up the mountain instead of staff dinner at least once a week.

Make sure you come across as being keen, dont just apply by email or through a third person site like seasonworkers (most of the adverts are outdated anyway). Phone the HR department of the TO that you're choosing, ask plenty of questions, speak clearly and just display genuine interest in the position that you are applying for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lorde, Good advice. Thanks for adding that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Lorde"]

Quote:
Budgeting is 100% key, i earnt 280 euros a month. which yes is pretty dire, but all of my food, accommodation, li8ft pass, ski hire etc was paid for. My only expense was alcohol and thats dirt cheap in france anyway. If you are planning this far in advance save every penny you can, you dont realise how nice it is to go and eat up the mountain instead of staff dinner at least once a week.

Really good advice. Having a few quid in your pocket will make your experience a whole lot better. Try and avoid the common trap of waxing all your cash before Christmas arrives.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lorde wrote:
My only expense was alcohol and thats dirt cheap in france anyway.

This applies in Morzine, it is dirt cheap, although the price of a pint of Guiness or glass of wine can vary by up to 3€ when there's only 200 yards betwen the bars you're drinking in!

Spend a season in Meribel, Courchevel or Val d'Isere though and 280€ will see you through about a week and a half at most...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Lorde wrote:
My only expense was alcohol and thats dirt cheap in france anyway.

This applies in Morzine, it is dirt cheap, although the price of a pint of Guiness or glass of wine can vary by up to 3€ when there's only 200 yards betwen the bars you're drinking in!

Spend a season in Meribel, Courchevel or Val d'Isere though and 280€ will see you through about a week and a half at most...
Alcohol in bars in Morzine is still extortionate, regardless of it being cheaper than the 3vs and other resorts. If you go out head down to the local carrefour or ed's and just get the cheapest wine or bottles of supermarket beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Totally agree Lorde, Morz one of the more expensive resorts I've been to. But I love it anyway
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well yeh of course the supermarkets are cheap, but even those are cheaper than supermarkets in other resorts! Eds (aka Dia) and Carrefours are not a common feature up your average French mountain! People in Meribel are forced to drive down to Moutiers to get those sorts of prices.

That said, I rarely drink at home in Morzine because going out seems so much cheaper than everywhere else I've lived in the past, and you're not oblgied to say "saisonnaire" every time you order to avoid being even more ripped off either. When compiling a list of big French resorts, Morzine will not be in the expensive column.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never came across 'seasonnaire' prices in Morz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Exactly, they don't need it, the punter rate in Morzine is the discounted price in other resorts. I'm not talking about L'Opera the nightclub here, but the bars dotted around such as Chez Roger, Sherpa, and the Bec Jaune. Dixies is the most expensive place I've had a pint in Morzine and it's still cheaper than anywhere in the Tarentaise. On the other hand, I've never been bought a round by the barman/owner in Morzine and heard other people don't either (unless he's a mate of course). That does happen a lot more in other places.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Exactly, they don't need it, the punter rate in Morzine is the discounted price in other resorts. I'm not talking about L'Opera the nightclub here, but the bars dotted around such as Chez Roger, Sherpa, and the Bec Jaune. Dixies is the most expensive place I've had a pint in Morzine and it's still cheaper than anywhere in the Tarentaise. On the other hand, I've never been bought a round by the barman/owner in Morzine and heard other people don't either (unless he's a mate of course). That does happen a lot more in other places.
Prices in Morzine at bars are pretty much at a paralell with most resorts, when i stayed in the 3vs i remmeber a pint at la folie douce being something like 6 euros, in morzine that's the average of most places with the exception of haka happy hour (3 euros a pint!!!)
latest report
Hmm, I cannot agree with you here, we've clearly had different experiences. I was pleased to find that you can drink a Guiness in Morzine for the same price as an Amstel in Meribel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy