Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do my perfect gloves exist?

Poster: A snowHead
My hands tend to suffer easily from the cold - when it gets really cold I wear mitts, but prefer gloves whenever I can. Last couple of years I've worn a pair of Hestra Goretex Army Leather. Which are fine, but as soon as my hands sweat a bit, they don't wick the moisture away. So when I stop for a break/lunch, and put them back on, they're just cold and damp. They also don't seem to dry out very well overnight. In an ideal world, my gloves would:

1. Be warm enough so that I wouldn't need to resort to the mitts unless its really cold and windy.
2. Be dry, with good wicking qualities - ideally with a removable inner.
3. Have a pocket for a hand warmer, which doubles as a vent if conditions get warmer.
4. Have wrist straps to prevent any Doh! moments.

Do they exist?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajpaul, keep the Hestras and maybe add silk liners? Dry gloves out thoroughly in the evening/overnight on boot dryer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heated glove liners plus a pair of Hestra gloves (from their Alpine Pro range). Dry the gloves on a radiator, or better still use a boot dryer. Have a pair of spring gloves for very warm weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?language=en&gender=mens&subcat=Gloves&model=Alpha-sv-Glove
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ajpaul,
sort of - they just dont have the removable liner, and will need to be treated over time to keep water proofed. I've never felt the need for mitts and are warmer than my Hestras. They have been virtually bombproof, but looking well worn now after around 9 years use. Never felt the need yet to insert hand warmers

http://www.swanyamerica.com/p/x-cell-ii-glove/mens_sx-crossover?pp=12

Or go for the x plode for extra warmth.

Difficult though to get over here, managed a new pair this season in the sale for less than a price of Hestras, around £60 Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have gone off Hestra leather gloves and find Mountain Equipment ones much better and cheaper... the Hestra liners pack out and the leather just gets soaked in rain. better to have leather palms and goretex backing..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Equally, I've gone from Mountain Equipment to Hestra Smile The Army Heli Leather Hestras I have are only leather on the palm and fingers, and textile elsewhere. Also, not had any issue with the liner packing out, they're still warmer than my Mountain Equipment gloves.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, interesting ! I have the all leather hestras, I like the padded racing ones for GS but the vertical cut freeride all leather are rubbish...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm no fan of gloves, especially leather, but I believe that the standard approach if you have to take them off for a while is to stuff them in your jacket, so they're warm when you pull them out again. Alternatively carry a spare pair, or a spare liner, but you need mitts for the liner trick.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The other option is the 'lobster claw' style of glove which is like a split mitt, rather than a 5 fingered glove. That should offer more warmth but without complete lost of dexterity. A removable liner should enable you to ensure they dry out properly each night
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bones - I've been wondering about Swany's. Did you get them in the UK? How do you find them for wicking moisture away?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajpaul,my first pair were bought in Canada about 9- 10 years ago, during some very cold weather -20ish iirc. Have just bought another pair this season in a sale while in Utah as the old ones were looking worn and tired. I've a pair of Hestra's now that I use for warmer conditions. Not really noticed damp or clammy hands so they are probably ok wicking wise. As leather they will need treating after a while but I just use hestra balm atm. or you could use nickwax leather care.

Not sure you can get them in the UK, unless ordered online Confused But then I bought my Hetras in Utah ( same shop incidently )bit impulsive buy - as they are so much cheaper over there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

Dry the gloves on a radiator, or better still use a boot dryer. Have a pair of spring gloves for very warm weather.

If your using gloves with leather palms or all leather try and avoid at all costs drying them on a radiator this will dry them out and damage the leather very quickly, if you have to dry with a direct heat source then make sure you apply lots of leather conditioner and re proofer afterwards.

If you stop for lunch then I always keep my gloves inside my jacket to keep them warm, or sit on them Toofy Grin

It is usually the case that gloves with a waterproof liner like gortex do not breath as well as gloves without therefore the inner gloves can become damp from sweat, if your using a water proofer then try and use one which is water based and maintains the breath-ability of the material, I have tried lots of different ones and always use the Nikwax glove proof as it does maintain the breathability of the gloves.

I have yet to find a glove that is perfect for everyday of the season, so as mentioned above you will need a glove for warm days in your kit locker. But hey I might well end up producing a snowshepherd glove which of course will be perfect for everything Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajpaul,

If your hands are so sweaty - are they really intrinsically cold? (I appreciate that there may be some moisture even when cold). On days when your hands are cold, are they cold from the get go?

On mid-cold days I sometimes find my gloves are cold post lunch but I always have a pair of silk liners that go on then. On very cold days the liners may go on earlier. This year I don't think I've used the liners at all.

I'm now a fan of Hestra Army Leather Heli - usual glove problem is that they usually only last a season before they get too stinky to use. The ALHs are about to come to the end of season 3 because they have an easily removable and washable (and dryable) lining and they get washed when they begin to whiff.

The gloves themselves were treated a couple of times with Nikwax proofer which seems very effective and the fabric parts sprayed with Nikwax fabric proofer. They don't look like they'll need to be replaced next year either.

And I've got some work gloves for warm/ spring days.
ski holidays
I wouldn't limit yourself to gloves that have inners - get a pair of silk or fleace inner gloves and try gloves on wearing those.

At lunch shove the inner gloves in an inside pocket to stop them getting cold.
snow conditions
sit on them at lunch
latest report
I've tried silks etc. I suppose the main reason for the removeable liner is, as under a new name points out, the Hestras are somewhat fragrant. It would be nice to have something that can be removed for easy drying while on holiday, and then a quick wash.
ski holidays
i've worn leather mitts every day of the last few seasons in every weather without problems.

Mitts are way cooler than gloves and much warmer Very Happy
ski holidays
Put a hand warmer in them at lunch time.
snow report
ski holidays
It's a mit but... Heat 3 Special Force

http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat-3-special-force

not sure how long they will, last mine are still going though, have been tested in minus 28C without windchill, little gripe about the metal zip that can get too close to skin!
snow report
ajpaul, actually, the Hestras are the least fragrant gloves I've had, with one exception, in 40+ years skiing.

I still think you have a moisture problem rather than an insulation one...
snow report
Just to answer my own post - yes they do exist! Just taken delivery of a pair of Outdoor Research Arrete gloves from S and R which meet all the criteria I listed.

Anyone want to make me an offer on a pair of mildly fragrant Hestras? Very Happy
snow report
@ajpaul, how do you know they'll be exactly what you want till you've tried them?
ski holidays
I've just got myself a pair of these to try out. Whilst not removable liner, the zip enables you to "vent" to manage the sweating if it gets warmer.

Will report back on what I think once tried on my December trip to Austria.
ski holidays
ajpaul wrote:
They also don't seem to dry out very well overnight

errrmm... buy a second pair. Then you can alternate them and each pair has 36 hours to dry out. But given that you just have, why not keep both pairs for said reason.

Some designs of boot dryers (the kind with a sticky-out tube and mini fan) can be very effective for gloves too.
ski holidays
heated clothing on sportpursuit today, including heated gloves....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the new ortovox freeride gloves are great, I think better than Hestra - they are more compact and breathe better. I have some hestra gloves and they are bomb proof.
snow conditions
http://embersnow.co.uk/

That is all.

Was talking to them at the show yesterday, nicely designed pieces of kit. UK company, and the designer is a woman who suffered cold hands and just couldn't find a pair of gloves out there to keep her warm
snow report
@feef, any idea of the rough pricing point?
latest report
Very interesting.. This is from the latest blog on the website

"They will be retailing at £198 and this will include ALL accessories such as the gorgeous bag, lanyards, battery charger and adaptors! Don’t forget the integrated goggle squeegee, nose wipe, e compatible material to use your mobile, 4 setting heat system, lift pass conveniently on the back of each hand, double layer materials where there will be most wear, leather inside strip and silicon patterning giving further grip, new design velcro to ensure snug fit and of course quality materials throughout with brilliant insulation…..all wrapped up in a chic, cool design."
snow report
They aren't the cheapest, as @Handy Turnip, says.. Just shy of £200, but you can easily spend in excess of £100 on a pair of normal gloves, without all the heating gubbins.
ski holidays
If they didn't have a chic cool design would they be a reasonable price?
snow report
If you are looking for the PERFECT ski gloves, have a look at these by Cornelia James 'Makers of Gloves by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen'. They were at the Ski Show. Possum fur lined and hand made in I think Sussex. I'm sure that they don't need electric heating! Not cheap, but then neither are Rolls Royces Very Happy

http://corneliajames.com/ski/product/ladies-ski-glove/
snow conditions
mr brain cheat wrote:
If you are looking for the PERFECT ski gloves, have a look at these

No removeable liners? Pfft.
snow report
I've met the ember guys the last couple of years at the ski show, google Ember Gloves and you should find their stuff!
snow report
the link is already about 7 posts up........ Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy