Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early season skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just got back from a UCPA holiday to Tignes last weekend booked with Action Outdoors. It was my first trip to a resort after having spent a number of hours at Mount Hemel.

I've now got the bug and can't wait to go back again so my question is.... Which resorts are traditionally good for early season skiing in the first few weeks of December?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They start in October back in Tignes. I think you can get some quite reasonable weekends out there with Mountainsun.

This is what they did last year..... http://www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/ski--board-camp-2013

Most resorts are open from beginning of December onwards with tour operators starting mid December. The only issue can be snow coverage early season and a lack of lifts open as it's still pretty quiet during the week before Christmas week.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 16-04-14 16:32; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jkchops, you could do a lot worse than go back to Tignes. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jkchops, most resorts (in Northen France) will typically advertise as intending to open the weekend before the weekend of Christmas week.

Most resorts are most definitely not open from the beginning of December.

You will probably be confidently able to say that glaciers will be open well before that, but you may find infrastructure and variety limited.

We skied Champoluc end-November, with unusually good snow.

Difficult to predict really!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been to Obergurgl early December.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl is apparently good early season. The slopes have a reliable combination of altitude and a lot of snowmaking, so coverage is likely to be good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
obertauern, \Austria.
Ischgl, Austria
Banff (Lake Louise, Sunshine, Noquay), Canada.

Are all good in my experiance, for the 1st week of December
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glaciers like Stubai, Sölden, Hintertux and Kitzsteinhorn are a good start; also Obergurgl, Ischgl, usually St Anton, and I believe Schladming usually opens pretty early?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to La Rosiere on 14 Dec. Okay, no powder, but empty slopes, 2-4-1 lift passes and good on snow cover. High enough to be reliable and better prices than other resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
jkchops, you could do a lot worse than go back to Tignes. snowHead

I know but i like trying new places first Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I'd ideally like to do another UCPA as it will more than likely just be me travelling solo again so i'd like to keep costs down etc. Depending on prices i'd certainly consider the week before Christmas to allow conditions to improve that little bit more.

I'm thinking that VT might be a good bet given its height....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy