Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, the ski season is over and I managed 2 great ski trips this year. Time to plan for next year...

First trip was Morzine and PDS - great skiing and lively apres. However, have been going there 10 or so times and have skiied all the pistes and know them all by name.

Second was Les Arcs 2000 and Paradiski - really loved the ski area with lots of big, wide, long runs, but the apres was non existent.

Any thoughts on where I can combine the good apres of Morzine (nice restaurants, lively bars, nothing too flashy) with the great ski area, and possibly ski in ski out of Les Arcs? We are all touching 40, so nothing too 'youth' either!!

Looking forward to views and recommendations.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meribel could do the job. I've not stayed anywhere else in 3Vs but the ski area will definitely do the job and there are plenty of bars and restaurants. Ski in/out depends on where your accomodation is but there's a lot that is or is pretty close to being. Can't comment on apres in Val Thorens but it's largely ski in/out, same for Les Menuires. Espace Killy would suit your ski needs too. Only stayed in Val d'Isere but Tignes is pretty much ski in/out. How about across the valley from Les Arcs in La Plagne? Alpe d'Huez or Les Deux Alpes may also suit for size of area and ski in/out but didn't do too much apres when at Alpe d and not done L2A but had it recommended.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serre Che? It was very quiet last week, but bars like La Grotte seemed relatively lively at times. Can imagine it being very good during busy weeks.

Regardless it's a great ski area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Val T has some lively places and certainly ski in/out options aplenty.

Belle Plagne has a couple of quite lively bars (not banging, but OK) and good ski in/out options.

Could be worth looking at Saalbach-Hinterglemm....no shortage of apres to suit most tastes/moods and a great area to cover. With reasonable coverage, there are certainly some close to ski in/out accommodation/hotel options.

Another option (albeit with a long transfer) is Livigno. I can't recall which side of the valley it is, but one has plenty of ski to door accommodation options. Some great apres bars too. Decent sized area with some terrific runs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shawsy, Slightly left field but you might like Champoluc/Monterosa. Well groomed pistes. A few bars which tend to be reasonably noisy. Some excellent eating in the village and some very good eating on the mountain. And out of peak weeks, and weekends, very quiet slopes. You didn't say what sort of skiing you liked but I am guessing that you've been 11 or so times, Les Arcs included?

In fairness, apparently France doesn't really get apres, for real apres ski you have to go to Austria I hear or Rotterdam (I've been). Italy does generally do apres ski snacks - i.e. if you are in the bar (and drinking adequately) you'll find they'll lay on free pizzas, snacks, dips, micro sandwiches etc.

And there are of course, French sort-of-exceptions - Chambre Neuf in Chamonix, Folie Douce in Val d'Isere and Meribel, etc. But hey, what does apres ski mean?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Gressoney last year. If you thought Les Arcs was quiet with only a few life bands a week then you'd be amazed at Gressoney. We never saw another customer in a bar in the late evening when we were there. But then I was there to ski so it didn't really matter. under a new name, I gather there is also a lively apres scene in Berlin as well
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your replies so far!

We are reasonably good skiers, so all on about 10 years skiing, with a couple of two-trip years. By apres, I am thinking grown up apres, as in some nice places to eat and a couple of bar options if you fancy a later night. We generally prefer self catering, hence we want some choice in the evening. Fortunately we went catered in Les Arcs 2000 - it felt like we were visiting a university campus out of season...

I think the main challenge is that, unlike the hardcore, I like a bit of holiday with my ski. We still ski most of the day, but then still want to do something in the evenings.

I guess the only other confining factor is that we fly from East Midlands, so don't really want resorts that you can only get to if you fly from Gatwick. Although we are considering the ski train next year to stretch the ski time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shawsy, Serre Chevalier would be a good option, either stay in Briancon which is a proper town but with ski runs to, or one of the villages and use the free bus. Loads of bars and restaurants and a bit of history in the old town.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The villages have bars and restaurants too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, Champoluc is not Gressoney.

Champoluc has, for example, great restaurants in Le Sapin, l'Essential, and several decent, bustling pizza restaurants (Churen, Martinos). Lo Bistrot and the one by the cable car whose name I can never remember are always busy after skiing and for after dinner drinking add in the Golosone, music night at the Castor, the "new" bar, karaoke (maybe Happy ) at the West Road and if it's still open, jailbait Shocked at Pachamama.

Quite enough to do. I know this because we do a few weekends throughout the season in Champoluc - I've done so since 2001...

I can understand re Gressoney though, it hardly even qualifies as a hamlet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shawsy, where were you staying in Paradiski?
Morzine is a town.
Paradiski is a ski area.
Like Cacciatore, i would have thought "nice restaurants, lively bars, nothing too flashy" summed up most of the bits of La Plagne completely.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, I'd second that - with a vote for Belle Plagne as the best bit of LP - not a huge choice of places but some good ones - and the rest of LP is available if you need more.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He said he stayed in Arc 2000. Personally I would recommend the OP go back to Paradiski and stay in one of the main stations also.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy