Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term 2015 - ski in/out resort that doesn't break the bank!

Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. We have been skiing in les arcs 1950, with the odd exception for 7 years, we tried to go cheaper one year in 2000, in a privately owned apartment that was cheaper but poor quality, cramped and not very clean. Back to 1950 it was last year, lovely apartment great pool, etc. We got what we paid for but it was expensive and they've put an extra 400 euros for the same self catered room, taking it up to 3,285 euros, then there's all the travel (we go by car) food, lift passes on top. It's coming close to a £5k holiday which is becoming unaffordable. So we are looking for a good resort, reasonably high with good blues into resort, possibly with a pool. Would consider France, Austria but not sure if Italy may be too far to drive. If anyone has got any good suggestions I'd be really grateful.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sandgate6, welcome to snowHeads. My regular half-term guests are off to Gambia volunteering for a year, so my apartment in Serre Chevalier is vacant, but it depends on your party size. I can suggest some other larger apartments in the same residence if there are too many of you. There is a pool sauna and hammam.
My signature has the link to my website.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much, will have a look and get our friends to have a look too. Ideally we'd like 2 bedrooms which I know pushes up the price, our girls are teenagers and love their privacy now! Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sandgate6, can probably suggest a 2 bed apartment in the same residence. I have a friend who rents out several others.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Work commitments meant we could only go away for a short break over half term so did the Snowcoach 4 day option. It worked out very reasonable for the 4 days, although the quality of the hotel isn't great (food was fine though). They do a week long and self travel option too. Regardless of Snowcoach, somewhere like Valmeinier might be a good option anyway, virtually all properties are ski in ski out and it's a lot quieter than most other resorts at half term. Quite a bit smaller ski area than Les Arcs though.

Can highly recommend Serre Che where Hells Bells property is (we just got back from the area today). No idea what costs work out like at half term though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had a quick Google and I am astounded at the price of a 2 bed apartment in 1950 for half-term. Nearly 3 grand just for the apartment. Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know, we just can't justify it anymore Sad I think our bad experience kept frightening us in to paying! Will certainly be looking into your pace and thanks hammerite for your response to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out Snowtrex and see what they have for next half term. I know when I last did a search with them some of the smaller quieter resorts like Valmeinier (whilst I say smaller the ski area is still 150km) came up with reasonable prices.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, will have a little search now!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know where Helen's apartment is and it's dead handy for the lifts. Lovely ski domain. Great thermal spa in Serra che.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski in /out at half term in a well known resort is always going to be expensive. In 2015 , it seems like most of Europe has the same half term week - UK, two zones of France and also carnival week for Germany / Austria. So you possibly need to compromise somewhere in order to reduce the cost.

We own an apartment in Brides les bains which offers great value for the 3 vallees but is not ski in / out. You either have to take the gondola upto Meribel or drive up - either option takes 20 minutes. In return for the 20 minutes commute you get a 2 bedroom, 56m2, top floor apartment with balcony and communal in door pool for about £1000 for half term / New Year. We are already booked for half term & new year weeks 2015 as are the two other owners I know.

When we ski in Austria we go to the Hocking area which is fairly free from Uk tour operators. There are 2 main villages Deinton and Maria Alm. Lovely villages but few ski in /out apartments so we stay in the village and drive to the base of the lift. The drive to Austria is longer than France and the ski area is inly 150km compared to 600km of 3V. However, we find the mountain restaurants much cheaper than France. There is a small British company called SKi fix that rent out apartments on behalf of owners - or try the tourist board which will have a list of Bed and Breakfasts and apartments.

Hell's Bell's - have just looked at your website - your apartment looks lovely.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

they've put an extra 400 euros for the same self catered room, taking it up to 3,285 euros

That's a bit steep. there are loads of places you could get an apartment for a lot less than half that. For example, you could get an excellent 2 bed apartment, piste-side, in Bisanne 1500 (a satellite of Les Saisies), the same development as mine (which I don't rent out) for around €11 - 1200. It's a few yards from a blue piste. The Espace Diamant has 185kms of lift linked skiing (with a new lift and 3 new runs opening up next year) and they are building a big sports/swimming centre in Les Saisies which will be finished for next winter. I reckon it's crowded at half term and never stay here then (I lend my apartment to friends or family who have no choice) but it's no more crowded than everywhere else, really.

Prices for lift passes, eating and drinking aren't too bad - less than the big resorts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sandgate6, we've tried three strategies for the school holiday problem:

1. Go at Christmas or Easter. Not an ideal solution, as snow isn't guaranteed, and you need to choose a high resort to be sure of snow so your choice is limited. Christmas is cold and dark; Easter is too warm; and, personally, I've discovered that I really don't like the mega-resorts very much and most of the really snow-sure places are in that category.

2. Go to a small resort at half term. This year we went Ste Foy (we stayed ski in/out in the White Room catered chalet) and it was very, very good. We spent some of our small-resort savings on a back-country guide for the week, and we had a much better time than if we'd been in a big, crowded, expensive mega-resort. We spent one day each in Les Arc and Val d'Isere with the guide, and, when we saw the crowds, we were very quickly reminded of how blissful a small resort can be in peak season.

3. Go to the States or Canada (really!). The high air fare is offset by much lower like-for-like accommodation prices if you choose your resort carefully, as you won't be in peak season over there unless you're unlucky enough to clash with President's weekend.

With hindsight, strategies 2 and 3 have always suited us best. Option 3 isn't for everyone - it's hard to drive the price down to bargain basement levels in the States and some people hate transatlantic travel - but it's the way to get a luxury holiday for much less. Option 2 is unsuitable if you're a mileage-hungry person who needs a big resort; if so, maybe you just need to slow down and learn to appreciate the finer things in life!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In our experience, Italy is cheaper - especially once you're there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh heavens....I've just done a forum search and have found the perfect thread. So will be watching, reading, listening and learning. We had an awesome time skiing this year. Hotel was atrocious. Ski school was amazing. Child was uber travel sick on the way home! Independent flights booked....couldn't fault it. Easy jet. Simples.
The cruddy hotel and extortionate last minute flights finished us off. So am getting in early this year. Still don't have ski buddies to split an apartment. The boy needs company....and I guess I do too.
So here we are Smile Reading with interest. Still terrified of the Gove imposed term ban and threats if custodial sentence should we abscond! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

threats if custodial sentence should we abscond!

a wild and inaccurate statement, alyefs. Just breathe..... and read the relevant policy document from your LEA.
snow report
Quote:

We got what we paid for but it was expensive and they've put an extra 400 euros for the same self catered room, taking it up to 3,285 euros,

Crikey are you renting the apartment or the whole block? I had a quick look to see what was available in the rest of Les Arcs for the 14/2/15, which I think is the middle of the half term month and the most expensive I came up with were 2100 euro for a 4 room 8 bed apartment in Arc 1600 and 1500 for a 5 room house in Bourg st Maurice. I suspect the morning commute on the funicular will be a bit on the busy side for me to contemplate that one. There is still a lot of availability at sensible prices and I suspect many more will be released in the coming months.

As Sandgate6, says the other costs such as food, lift pass fuel etc don't alter much for half term so it is really the accommodation costs that push the budget up, but in reality only by a few hundred euro.

The Aosta valley in Italy is about the same distance as the Tarrentaise so could also be considered.
snow report
pam w, I know Pam....it was a little tongue in cheek. Our head teacher is a real back bottom and we don't see eye to eye in general. The policy states we can be granted time for things like a family wedding....or visiting an ill relative who we're unlikely to see again. If only I were brave enough. I could possibly claim it's a work thing (veggie food writer)....would probably need proof. Will certainly consider it....
The boy has had 99.5% attendance this year....and 100% previous years.
latest report
Hi, I'm looking for an apartment that sleeps 4 for next half term.... has anyone still got any availability? Puzzled
ski holidays
@audi321, no sorry, booked by another snowHead many months ago.
snow report
@audi321, you have a PM
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy