Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it just practice, practice, practice ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ssh,
Sorry & good!!! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssh, I know what you mean about skiing with *good* skiers.
I used to think I was a reasonable skier until I met a few PSIA examiners. Now the only thing I can say is that I have skied with BB, and have seen him fall! (admitedly it was on a run where I fell several times) But there is a completely different league that most instructors fall into, and then above that is SCSA.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
But there is a completely different league that most instructors fall into, and then above that is SCSA.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm sure that by 'European' Alexandra was thinking more of the likes of the British holidaymaker, rather than the hundreds of thousands of people actually living in the Alps who virtually learned to ski before they could walk!

There is clearly a massive difference between local competition skiers & ski professionals and holiday skiers - and I am squarely in the latter category. That said, when I am out and about I see very few people in the former category. I'd say the overwhelming share of skiers that you see on any given day in (for example) 3V are no better than intermediate.

How about this for a test - what % of skiers on the mountain do you think can
a) ski the fall line in bumps AND
b) carve elegant and controlled turns without skidding on a firm black run AND
c) ski competently in the trees on a powder day

my guess is less than 10%.

I'm not claiming that if you pass those tests you are a top class skier. I'm just saying that 90% of skiers that I see do not even pass those tests - I'm not sure it's a big claim that you are in the top 10% of skiers on the mountain. It is pretty meaningless though as in any case, there's a huge gap between the top 1% and the top 10% (and between the top 0.1% and the top 1%).

I haven't skied enough in Canada to really compare standards although I did think that I saw a high proportion of good skiers in Whistler than I'd expect to see in the big Alpine resorts.

J
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
That said, when I am out and about I see very few people in the former category. I'd say the overwhelming share of skiers that you see on any given day in (for example) 3V are no better than intermediate.

I think you'll find that many locals go skiing when the tourists are not around! They also know where to go - ie the places many tourists have yet to find.

I was up in Les Arcs today. I know for a fact that somewhere around 150 members of the Les Arcs club were free skiing around the resort. I caught a brief glimpse of a group of minis on the lower runs at one point, but that's all. The rest would have been off-piste the other side of the Aiguille Rouge, in the trees in the virtually deserted lower parts of the domain - everywhere where the tourists aren't, basically.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
Quote:
That said, when I am out and about I see very few people in the former category. I'd say the overwhelming share of skiers that you see on any given day in (for example) 3V are no better than intermediate.

I think you'll find that many locals go skiing when the tourists are not around! They also know where to go - ie the places many tourists have yet to find.

I was up in Les Arcs today. I know for a fact that somewhere around 150 members of the Les Arcs club were free skiing around the resort. I caught a brief glimpse of a group of minis on the lower runs at one point, but that's all. The rest would have been off-piste the other side of the Aiguille Rouge, in the trees in the virtually deserted lower parts of the domain - everywhere where the tourists aren't, basically.

oh I don't know, I was only the other day skiing at high speed through a nursery slope when I noticed I was about the best skier there. There were some instructors but they were going really slow ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, Madeye-Smiley

Ref. the group of race club minis we 'glimpsed' today (6/7 year olds) ... it was quite amusing really. From the top of the Cachette chair from Arc 1600, they set off behind their trainer at considerable speed. We followed them, but by the time we got to the top of the next rise, despite the fact we could see several hundred metres in all directions, they'd vanished.
So the conclusion must be that the reason contributors seem to see a majority of no better than intermediate skiers on the European slopes is that all the 'pros' aged 8 and above are moving too fast to be seen with the naked eye Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When it comes down to it though, you're only really as good as the amount of fun you're having.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, at Vail (or wherever I end up) tomorrow, I'm sure by this measure I'll be really good! I may have the day to myself to just ski where I want as long as I want to say "goodbye" to this season at Vail. I may even make a good turn or two! Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, thanks for that... Sad

I'll be staring out the window of my office at a patio, watching squirrels playing on a giant horse chesnut. I think that'll put me in the bottom 1% of skiers for the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy