Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Violence in Val D

Poster: A snowHead
Rather nasty.

Quote....

Shepton Mallet's Matt Nixon attacked on family ski holiday at Val d’Isère
By fsingleton | Posted: April 03, 2014

Comments (0)
A MAN from Shepton Mallet has relived his terrifying ordeal of being badly beaten up by a gang of French thugs while on a skiing holiday.

Matt Nixon was at Val d’Isère in France with his parents, cousins and friends.

On one of the last nights of his trip, Mr Nixon was left with a catalogue of injuries after being punched and kicked unconscious during a violent ambush. Now the 25-year-old is waiting to undergo surgery on his battered face.

He said: “We walked out of one bar and went to go to another and they just came out of nowhere – there were six of them and it ended up being a scuffle.

“I was unconscious for about five minutes.

“My cousin put me in the recovery position and I was rushed to hospital. They put me back together and I left the next morning.

“My friends were all there when it happened – everyone got a black eye or split lip but I was the worst.

“We don’t know who they were but police think it was the French mafia.”

Read more: http://www.sheptonmalletjournal.co.uk/Shepton-Mallet-s-Matt-Nixon-attacked-family-ski/story-20898776-detail/story.html#ixzz2xpTxCABZ
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
His injuries look very nasty. I wonder what the full story is? I can't see why the mafia would want to beat up a man from Shepton Mallett.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who knows what starts these things. I often suspect the victims have in some way triggered the attack by their behaviour, or even just by being there and being who they are.

Not to justify it in any way, but perhaps the "french thugs" were looking for truble (that being in the nature of "thugs" of course) and found it convenient to be offended by the presence of a largish group of people from Shepton Mallett in "their" bar. Sadly it seems that's often all that it takes to spark off this kind of thing.

Disclaimer. All the above is wild speculation. Of course.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

perhaps the "french thugs" were looking for truble (that being in the nature of "thugs" of course) and found it convenient to be offended by the presence of a largish group of people from Shepton Mallett in "their" bar.

any Frenchmen likely to be offended by finding large groups of Brits in bars in Val d'Isere are likely to be in a permanent state of agitation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, shouldn't laugh...but Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh, pam w, you are wicked.... Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

likely to be in a permanent state of agitation

Haha yes. I think the thing is, people who go around beating up strangers more or less at random, probably don't think like you and me, so it is unlikely we will ever understand what makes them do it.

Something similar happened in Nottingham to a friend of a friend. There was never the slightest sniff of a motive, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and has been left with permanent memory problems as a result.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

people who go around beating up strangers more or less at random,

if that's what happened it is indeed horrendous and unforgiveable. However, we only know one side of the story.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ooh, pam w, you are wicked....

Smile

Poor lad, looks nasty. sanman, You are right, there are people with neanderthal mentalities, who think nothing of going around thumping people. My daughter got mugged in Verbier last year, they never found the b*****d (s)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From what I have read it is no different from any rural town in England?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, Sadly I think you're right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^

I've lived in rural English towns most of my life (50 decades) and am yet to either witness violence or know someone who has been subject to it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogwatch, Crikey, you got the same genes as Noah? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear. Failure on the significant figure front there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:
^

I've lived in rural English towns most of my life (50 decades) and am yet to either witness violence or know someone who has been subject to it.

Regrettably it is not unknown, I suspect in most places it is uncommon but there again I suspect it is uncommon in French ski resorts, I have never witnessed violence or known anyone assaulted in a French ski resort on many visits.
I have witnessed violence in an English village as a child.
ski holidays
I have in-laws in Shepton Mallett. Everyone else there is inbred.
snow conditions
We were in the wrong place at the wrong time as teenagers, and one of our party received a split lip and bruising as a result, some of the rest of us (7 in two cars) had bruises or minor scratches. Fortunately my now husband got me into his car and despite it being rocked and the windows battered with something he used the car as a weapon and drove at the remaining thugs who were still beating up one of our friends who had fallen over. As the thugs scattered we managed to get our friend into the car and to hospital.

The Police knew the offenders from our descriptions and they were duly prosecuted. I have had no faith in the criminal justice system since that moment!
latest report
Quote:

The Police knew the offenders from our descriptions and they were duly prosecuted. I have had no faith in the criminal justice system since that moment!

Puzzled
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

people who go around beating up strangers more or less at random,

if that's what happened it is indeed horrendous and unforgiveable. However, we only know one side of the story.

That may be true - but I don't think its acceptable for 6 people to give someone a beating, even if that person may have done something wrong.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

+1 Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't think its acceptable for 6 people to give someone a beating, even if that person may have done something wrong.

Indeed not, but we don't know the story. There might have been 6 people on each side.... there was certainly not just one. And we don't know how the whole incident started. Simply not possible to judge, one way or the other though there's no doubt that the guy has nasty injuries. Very unpleasant incident, whatever the truth of it.
latest report
Quote:

You must be quite old...any secrets that you want to share?
ski holidays
Yes, that I should engage my brain before clicking submit.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

Sorry, on re reading my post it is not clear what I meant. rolling eyes Although the offenders were found guilty the magistrates imposed only a short community service, and ordered them to pay for the costs of repairs to our car. We never received a penny of the damages and the sentencing was laughable. Indeed, the 'thugs' were smiling and laughing at the result outside the court a short while later.

The whole incident was actually very frightening, and it was even more frightening to discover that such behaviour (and these were repeat offenders) would be dismissed so lightly by the courts.
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, yes, that must have been infuriating. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
And on Thursday night (3 April) a 40 year old had an 'altercation' with a bouncer in Val and now is in Grenoble with a brain haemorrhage.
snow report
Quote:

the French mafia

And who are they exactly?
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

What?! I live in rural Cornwall. Random thumpings do not happen, the occasional fall out perhaps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

the French mafia

ESF. wink
snow conditions
provenjohn wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

+1 Shocked

+2 Shocked
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon, she went on to explain a few posts up
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
stanton wrote:

What?! I live in rural Cornwall. Random thumpings do not happen, the occasional fall out perhaps.

There has been one incident of violence in the 10-years I've lived in my rural South Northants own

Mind you, stanton never lets the facts stand in the way of having a pop at UK
snow report
Boris, Being a Dutchman you would think he might be more grateful.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

the French mafia

Corsicans

Les 2 alpes has a fair number of nasty little violent scrotes

http://www.reportagestv.com/2014/02/15/appels-durgence-fetes-agressions-et-secours-extremes-la-montagne-en-etat-durgence/

if you watch the video the English guy was given a beating for giving a local french thug "un regard de travers" - that is the excuse the little scrotes use for their actions these days. He looked at me.
ski holidays
CaravanSkier wrote:
. ......................We never received a penny of the damages and the sentencing was laughable. Indeed, the 'thugs' were smiling and laughing at the result outside the court a short while later.

The whole incident was actually very frightening, and it was even more frightening to discover that such behaviour (and these were repeat offenders) would be dismissed so lightly by the courts.

I fear that this sort of outcome is more common than most people imagine. Or at least it would appear to be from various stories I've heard over the years. However, I believe it must poorly reported in the media otherwise, surely, the general public would be up in arms complaining about our Justice system's ineffectiveness. Or is it reported widely, and most people don't really care because it hasn't happened to them....yet?
snow report
Some hideous beatings reported outside bars/clubs in Morzine this winter, executed by the venue security staff on drunken punters. Heard of severe kickings and even someone having their crutches snapped in half. Few cars vandalised too, mine included, but no idea who was behind that.
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
Who knows what starts these things. I often suspect the victims have in some way triggered the attack by their behaviour, or even just by being there and being who they are.

There are people who go out planning to have a fight 'for a laugh'. I was caught up in an altercation with such a bunch once. Three of us walked out of a club in a neutral part of Belfast. We were surrounded by a gang of 8 thugs who started throwing punches. No niggling, no 'Are you looking at me'...we had never seen any of these people before. I was with a skinny little guy from Australia who was a roofer and a big lad who worked in a music shop. I was thinking that 8 on 3 wasn't good and looking for an escape route. None available, so I grabbed the nearest thug in a big smoochy hug and started running forwards. He fell and I fortuitously stood on his testicles when he went down.. Having broken the ring I was expecting my 2 mates to be running past me. Looked round to find the skinny little roofer kicking the 5hit out of the other 7. Police arrived in less than a minute, by which time there were no thugs in any shape to fight. Apparently they had been cruising the streets looking for the gang as it happened every night.

The thugs were patched up and arrested. All charged with assault. Went to court and they all got let of as they failed to land a punch rolling eyes

Police were exasperated as this bunch would give some random person a beating a few times a week and couldn't usually be easily identified.

Haven't seen the roofer since 1995, but every time I read a Jack Reacher novel I think of him Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy