Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kleinwasertal / Mittelberg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any info on the ski area of Kleinwalsertal. It is in Austria but is only accessible by road from Germany. Ryanair are doing flights to Memmingen in Germany and it is only 90 minutes to this resort by road. Any info would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. For family reasons I spend quite a bit of time in Mittelberg/Kleinwalsertal.
It can be described as a 'family' resort, ie not the big party town. There are a number of ski areas which are not directly linked. The main one being the Kanzelwand & Fellhorn area with lift access from Riezlern in Kleinwalsertal on the Austrian side and frm Oberstdorf ( with a bus ride ) on the German side. The area directly in Mittelberg is called Walmendigerhorn, and is relatively small, but with some excellent steeps, bumps and some great off piste runs down to the valley. The third large area is called Ifen, and is a few minutes ride by car or bus from Mittelberg and Riezlern, has some great cruising runs and powder fields.
All in all it's an area that gets almost completely ignored by Brit TO's. Don't know why cos it is really a decent ski area, and the valley itself is scenically stunning! Definitely worth a visit. You might consider basing yourself in Riezlern rather than Mittelberg though, cos then you have easier access to the main ski area on the Kanzelwand.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elcottero I've skied in Oberstdorf and the Kleinwalsertal a number of times. IMO it is a fantastic ski area and is covered on one pass. There is something for all ability levels and even though it is relatively low, it tends to get a fair amount of snow as the mountains at the end of the Kleinwalsertal valley back onto the Arlberg area which means that it is first to get a dump when the storms come in from the North!

There are a number of villages in the valley with their own ski areas, Riezlern (which links to Kanzelwand/Fellhorn ski area just outside Oberstdorf), Hirschegg which has some skiing of it's own and gives you access to the ski area of Ifen, Mittleberg and the ski area of the Walmerdingerhorn. Baad is right at the end of the valley and only has cross country skiing if I remember correctly. It is possible to do a circuit of the Kleinwalsertal as the areas are linked by lifts and pistes but you need to use the bus for the odd section if you want to do the full loop.

Oberstdorf has three ski areas: Nebelhorn, Fellhorn/Kanzelwand and Söllereck and this combined with the Kleinwalsertal provides plenty of skiing.

There are regular ski buses in the Kleinwalsertal but they can be a bit of a faff in Oberstdorf, and you might find having a car makes it a bit easier to get around.

Getting there is easy, jump on the A7 motorway for a bit then it is a dual carriageway and a main road to Oberstdorf, where you then climb up a bit to head into the Kleinwalsertal. There's a good selection of accommodation in both Oberstdorf and the outlying villages and the Kleinwalsertal.

http://oberstdorf.de/skifahren/skigebiete/

http://www.kleinwalsertal.com/index.php?id=4&L=1

I'm a bit tight for time this morning but if you need anymore info just let me know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks pretty nice, Might try these next season..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great advice folks, I really appreciate your time. I will be hiring a car and driving down from Memmingen ( if we decide to go, it's still just a possiblity at the moment ) so getting to different areas shouldn't be a problem.
We have been snowboarding in France , Spain, Andorra and Italy in recent years and it has been getting progressively more expensive for basics,,food and beer.
What is the cost of living like in Austria?,,food and beer wink , obviously.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
elcottero, whilst the Kleinwalsertal is classed as Austria, it is basically Germany and german pricing applies. It is cheaper than a lot of the Austrian resorts I've stayed at. There is a real mix on the accommodation front from budget to luxury. We didn't ever feel ripped off on the mountain for big beers or food and the apres ski can be a bit of a laugh. There are a number of Supermarkets (including a big Lidl in Oberstdorf) around the place if you are self catering and have a car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
resurrecting a 7 yr old topic here but wondering if anyone has any new info on this area specifically Mittleberg where we have found a cheap apart hotel with lots of facilities for kids which we need for our 3yr old. assume very little English spoken in resort? our child is a bit tied to his mother so prob won't go to the ski school but we would love to try it if there were any English speaking instructors.
we are driving from frankfurt hahn airport which is approx 5hrs but have no other airport choice from our part of the world ( Ireland south ) . would appreciate any tips on areas to avoid on the route. we will be breaking up the journey with a night stay over either way so again any suggestions welcome
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryan Air fly Dublin to Memmingen every Saturday and flights are very cheap.
Have done this route both in summer and winter .
We have stayed only in Oberstdorf which is one of our favourite places in the Alps.
There is very little English spoken in the area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chick, thanks for the reply. we are 330 km from Dublin airport and Kerry airport is only abt 60km so it works out abt 100 + km further in total .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
any other snowhead have any tips for me? maybe I should start a new topic to get a few replies
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy