Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to wear in the rain?

Poster: A snowHead
As my ski holiday in Austria approaches, the weather forecast for the resort is looking more and more like rain. So, I think I need to be prepared for skiing in the rain. At this time of year I would normally expect to ski in a softshell jacket, or even just a lightweight running jacket if it's sunny (for spring skiing, warmth is not usually an issue). I'm concerned that my softshell would not protect me against continuous rain, though, and my full-blown ski jacket may be too warm. So I'm thinking along the lines of a lightweight breathable rainjacket (shell).

What have others here used successfully (or otherwise) for skiing in the rain? Of course, there comes a point when the best thing to wear is a mountain cafe.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How insulated is your jacket?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My take: Just get a hardshell with some vents and you're generally golden for anything over 1500m at any time of year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
J2R wrote:
Of course, there comes a point when the best thing to wear is a mountain cafe.

+1000
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I try and not ski in the rain.

But that's one reason why I have a shell and not an insulated jacket. So I'd wear the same shell I ski in in deepest winter, but with fewer layers.

I have a very lightweight rain jacket for wearing around town/hiking/etc. - Northface similar to this http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/men-s-resolve-jacket/p46860.html which I could ski in if I wanted to ski in it in the rain.

Which I probably wouldn't.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara wrote:
My take: Just get a hardshell with some vents and you're generally golden for anything over 1500m at any time of year.

+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
90 minute ski. 120 minute lunch, 90 minutes ski, APRES!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
I try and not ski in the rain.

I would really prefer not to ski in the rain. But if I go on an expensive skiing holiday and rain is the weather I get, then I will ski in the rain rather than not ski.

dulcamara wrote:

Any particular model you can recommend? Does something like the North Face Resolve mentioned by 'under a new name' qualify, or are you talking something a bit pricier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would use a lightweight gortex hill walking jacket, but be careful they slide over snow easier than ski jackets.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for the slight thread drift but ..... I use a product that causes the water to bead off my car's windscreen. It works really well at speed (60+ mph). Could his be used on ski goggles or is it likely to damage the goggles?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Sorry for the slight thread drift but ..... I use a product that causes the water to bead off my car's windscreen. It works really well at speed (60+ mph). Could his be used on ski goggles or is it likely to damage the goggles?

Are you planning to ski much at 60+ mph?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:

I imagine that's similar to the RainX type stuff people use on GoPro lenses to keep them clear of water, so should be ok..?

I found licking the lens works just fine (not an April Fool!), but licking the entirety of your goggles may get some strange looks...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
I found licking the lens works just fine (not an April Fool!), but licking the entirety of your goggles may get some strange looks...

Do you take the goggles off first to do this, or do you do it in situ? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Any particular model you can recommend? Does something like the North Face Resolve mentioned by 'under a new name' qualify, or are you talking something a bit pricier?

J2R, Not really to be honest, it's a get what you pay for type thing, people rave about the expensive brands and they are very good (if you can get a deal) but most others are absolutely fine (avoid some of the bargain brands stitching can be a weak point)

Gore-tex is a safe bet, not because of the material but because each item has to be tested by them to a high standard, therefore it should be pretty tough! e-vent is the other example, some say it's a bit less durable/sensitive but it certainly performs well. Other than that most brands have their own membrane that are almost always half the price and absolutely do the job!

Big thing to remember is "are you REALLY going to push this material to its limits?" if it's for resort skiing in mainland europe then the answer is probably NO!

After that the most important thing is fit, need to be long enough all over to keep you dry, nice hood that pulls tight and some pockets that you like the design of. In my opinion Britain makes some stunning gear for reasonable prices, it just doesnt look very gangster! (Rab and Montane are just excellent lightweight, well built gear without a ridiculous price tag)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

May as well voice an opinion on that as well while im here, i might guess you are using a siloxane based hydrophobic product like rain-x, in which case I doubt it would damage your goggles, whether it will bond to it is a different matter but I (with no knowledge/evidence to back this satement up) don't think it should be a problem. A test on some old goggles might be interesting. Actually im not completely sure they aren't already a bit treated (one to research)

my solution at the moment is a peaked helmet though i guess a cap would work?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
I imagine that's similar to the RainX type stuff people use on GoPro lenses to keep them clear of water, so should be ok..?

... not sure as I suspect goggles have a coating that camera lenses don't.

clarky999 wrote:

A few more strange looks won't make much difference, thanks for the tip. snowHead
snow report
I meant licking the gopro lens btw, haven't tried it (or needed to) with goggles yet!
snow conditions
There is a ratings system:

http://www.evo.com/waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-guide.aspx

I have a 20000mm rated shell that I use on my 15 minute bike commute. It will keep me dry even in a downpour. My ski jacket (Surfanic) is 15000 but I think most are 8-10000 and many 5000 or lower. I've skied in wet snow and rain and it's horrible if it gets through. And difficult to dry out even in a warm restaurant/cafe. The cycling jacket mentioned above was a Trespass jacket who list the waterproodness on nearly all their jackets. That one cost me £80 (reduced).
ski holidays
If I was going skiing in the rain I'd probably wear a raincoat.
snow report
snow report
Handy hint! Don't put Zardoz anywhere near Oakley lenses, cost me a £120 lens a couple of years back......gloves on skis, wet lenses rubbed with thumb kind of stupid manoeuvre! rolling eyes
latest report
Joking aside, I always wear a helmet in the rain..
snow report
A guide to some fabrics http://www.shop-denali.com/gg_wbbrands2.aspx

A damn fine mountain jacket Smile http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/changabang-jacket

Jackets are in the sale period at the moment so a good time to buy.
snow report
J2R, where are you skiing? I hope (as I am out in Stuben) that any rain will only be either a) low down or b) for a short period of time!!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
J2R, where are you skiing? I hope (as I am out in Stuben) that any rain will only be either a) low down or b) for a short period of time!!

Obergurgl. At the top of the mountain any precipitation should be falling as snow, but from around 2500m down it looks like rain is more likely. It may not happen, of course - long term forecasts are notoriously unreliable for the mountains - but I want to be prepared if it does.
ski holidays
J2R, I had one day of rain a couole of weeks ago. My 7 to 8 year old shell did just fine.
latest report
J2R, a guide in Stuben just gave me the 2 links he uses for weather..perhaps not as bad???

http://www.yr.no/place/Austria/Tyrol/Obergurgl/long.html

http://www.alpenverein.at/portal/wetter/index.php
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
Big thing to remember is "are you REALLY going to push this material to its limits?" if it's for resort skiing in mainland europe then the answer is probably NO!

A very wise observation, I would say! Thanks.

Layne wrote:
There is a ratings system:

http://www.evo.com/waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-guide.aspx

I have a 20000mm rated shell that I use on my 15 minute bike commute. It will keep me dry even in a downpour. My ski jacket (Surfanic) is 15000 but I think most are 8-10000 and many 5000 or lower. I've skied in wet snow and rain and it's horrible if it gets through. And difficult to dry out even in a warm restaurant/cafe. The cycling jacket mentioned above was a Trespass jacket who list the waterproodness on nearly all their jackets. That one cost me £80 (reduced).

Thanks, that made interesting reading. My soft shell is rated at 5000mm, which certainly isn't much (although it copes admirably in actual snow, as opposed to rain). I'm leaning at the moment towards something like the North Face jacket mentioned above, or a Marmot PreCip, which has a 15000mm rating and can be picked up for around £60 and which seems to have had generally good reviews.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would just go with a reputable brand. For golf for example there are loads but people buy galvin green to keep dry, it's expensive but the best around. Probably good for skiing too if you want to multitask it (dunno if you golf or not)
snow report
J2R, If I have to ski in the rain I wear an instructors' long coat over a softshell. The long coat is just ripstop nylon so it isn't breathable but it is light and doesn't get in the way.

Maybe look for a cheap cagoule in a big size.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Maybe look for a cheap cagoule in a big size.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I think the reality is that when it's raining, I'm unlikely to be doing the kind of energetic skiing which would make good breathability necessary. I'll look into what's around.
snow report
Just back from Whistler and had a day out in Vancouver. My Marmot shell kept me very dry in pouring rain all day down there, did not even need drying out -amazing. I just adjust the layers under it. Not sure which model it is. Very impressed. Shame it was a foot of fresh snow back in Whistler grrr.

Was looking at new jackets for daughter and was told in shop that "normal" ski jackets were 10000, good ones were 20000 and Gortex was even better. i.e. a fireman's hose type of water pressure that I doubt you can stand up in.
ski holidays
Rain isn't generally gonna get through 10,000 rated material (that't a 10 meter tower of water sat on top of your jacket)! The issue on the cheaper ones is generally the seams, that's where you will get wet and where things will start breaking first. Also they tend to be more sensitive to dirt and smoke (want it to last longer, don't smoke with your jacket on)

The test of time is the big thing for waterproofing, while the DWR is still intact (fluoropolymer layer that makes water bead off is a very satisfying way) most garments will appear waterproof because generally it's just raining a bit when we use them, and don't go out in tropical storms. But after a while things start to break down, non-taped stitching loosens, membranes break down and stuff gets cut. That's where that extra 50 quid will make the difference.

I have a silly expensive Arc'teryx jacket, it kept me dry in crazy weather.... I also have a cheap ass kilimanjaro jacket and that keeps me dry as well it just might not last as long!
snow conditions
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle wrote:
J2R, I had one day of rain a couole of weeks ago. My 7 to 8 year old shell did just fine.

I remember that day. My shell was OK but when we boarded the chairlift it was my rear-end that got wet. Old windproof pants that needed the DWR (durable water repellent) reapplying were not up to the job.
latest report
J2R wrote:

I would really prefer not to ski in the rain. But if I go on an expensive skiing holiday and rain is the weather I get, then I will ski in the rain rather than not ski.

No matter how expensive your holiday is, the idea is to have fun. IME skiing in rain is not fun. That said, there can be days when there is decent snow high up, but you have to descend through rain low down.
J2R wrote:

dulcamara wrote:

I ski in a Monroe jacket bought from admin. Cheap as chips. Very effective, but not for fashionistas.
latest report
The right answer is a hardshell. There are loads of good options out there. I'd second Mountain Equipment - very good gear at reasonable prices (not cheap but cheaper than similar quality jackets from other brands IMO). VFM option might be the top of the line Karrimor Event jacket from field and trek (sports direct) - looked pretty decent to me and probably £100+cheaper than similar things
ski holidays
Quote:
The test of time is the big thing for waterproofing

That is a fair comment but it's quite difficult to judge and I am not sure price is always is a great indicator.
snow conditions
Yep hardshell, mine is a Mountain Equipment Changabang, plus how ever many layers of merino or lightweight down you need for warmth under it. Buy one with enough room underneath for those layers. Has the advantage of being a perfectly fine hiking jacket as well so you aren't just buying a ski jacket. Oh and keep your eye on ebay, my Changabang was less than half list price as it was a seconds, the inside pocket had been glued shut when they put the zip in, took about 5 min work to get things unglued and a couple of quids worth gortex repair tape to tidy up a patch where the glue had lifter the surface of the fabric on the inside of the pocket (separate layer to the jacket shell). Mine came from this guy http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/daz198/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2654 no connection other than a happy customer.
latest report
Quote:

when we boarded the chairlift it was my rear-end that got wet.

This convinced me to get some gore-tex pants the Christmas before last.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
VFM option might be the top of the line Karrimor Event jacket from field and trek (sports direct) - looked pretty decent to me and probably £100+cheaper than similar things

Yes, that does look a good deal and is generally well-reviewed, although the RRP of £199 seems to me to be distinctly dubious (I doubt it has ever been on sale anywhere for that price).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy