Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Critique my skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
I have some video of myself skiing from my holiday last week. It's not very exciting Smile but I wondered if anybody would like to practice their video analysis and suggest what I might want to focus on or experiment with next time I ski?

Me skiing in Zermatt, March 2014 from Jason Williams
https://vimeo.com/90459668

For context: I'm always going to be a "holiday skier", but I'd like to one day be a good one. This was my fifth week; the text description of Inside Out level 7 fits well with where I feel like I'm up to, but I don't look anything like as good as the relevant video.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks more like level 6 to me
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiingQuinHat wrote:
Looks more like level 6 to me

Indeed, to me too! I guess what I'm saying is my confidence outstrips my ability Smile Although, the sample is somewhat biased towards the bits where the videographer could keep up, so isn't necessarily my best skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
finestgreen, I'd suggest you think about keeping your shoulders facing down the fall line, you appear to be over rotating, and also make a more definite pole plant which will help. You could also work on skiing from edge to edge rather than skidding, and driving the turns, you'll need an increased forward lean, shorter poles and I'd suggest you slow down a bit and concentrate on turning. I'd also suggest the one day October Warren Smith courses he holds at the indoor slopes throughout UK, he strips it all down and you'd get great benefit from his one day coaching. On the whole good stuff, keep it up......hope you find these comments of value, a few little things I think would benefit. If you move onto icy or steeps the over rotation could catch you out. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You ski like my wife and dispute my best efforts over many years I haven't been able to help much.
For the record you are doing occasional little stems and most of your turns have a twitch to them went passing he fall line. Things that might help are as above sorting out the shoulders, also get your hands up and into sight like someone holding a beach ball in front of them that should get your weight forward a bit, as for the twitch, you need to be more progressive through the turns, practice pivot slips (described in the glossary). A couple of one to ones with an advanced instructor will help a lot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You ski like my wife and dispute my best efforts over many years I haven't been able to help much.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You create your turns by pushing your skis sideways (the tails of the skis move out to the side), then you balance on your skis so they grip the snow but by this time you are beyond the fall line so you are not getting any performance from your skis in the first half of the turn. The consequence of this is that you are making 'Z' shaped turns, rather than more rounded, well-linked turns.

Your stance is more or less static, and you are generally balanced on your heels rather than the middle of your foot, and further back than this at the end of many of your turns. You often turn with your whole body, which I'd guess gets worse on steeper terrain. On a couple of turns you got stuck with your balance mostly on your inside ski, which caused a little wobble.

All these things are related. To improve I think you should focus on the movements you make at the beginning of the turn (stand more effectively on the outside ski) and then be a bit more patient with the skis so they turn you, rather than you turn them.

I agree that on the IOS scale you'd be a Level 6.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With your hand so low and the shoulders slumped you actually look really disinterested in what you are doing. I'm sure of course you are not but a change in position and stance as described by the above experts and with decent proper active pole plants to drive the skis would benefit you enormously I suspect. To be blunt you ski rather lazily imo (no expert I hasten to add)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get lessons - please.

I gather the will to improve is there, but you need lessons.

I agree with rob. Weight on the heels, very static and there's tell-tale balance issues as well, mainly as there is very little 'dynamics' going on.

May I ask how you get on if you venture even a tad to the side of the piste?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
take your hands out of your pockets
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
You create your turns by pushing your skis sideways (the tails of the skis move out to the side), then you balance on your skis so they grip the snow but by this time you are beyond the fall line so you are not getting any performance from your skis in the first half of the turn. The consequence of this is that you are making 'Z' shaped turns, rather than more rounded, well-linked turns.

Your stance is more or less static, and you are generally balanced on your heels rather than the middle of your foot, and further back than this at the end of many of your turns. You often turn with your whole body, which I'd guess gets worse on steeper terrain. On a couple of turns you got stuck with your balance mostly on your inside ski, which caused a little wobble.

All these things are related. To improve I think you should focus on the movements you make at the beginning of the turn (stand more effectively on the outside ski) and then be a bit more patient with the skis so they turn you, rather than you turn them.

+ 1 to rob@rar's reply.

By adding more foot steering / pivotting at the start of the turn you will introduce more curve to the turn and move from a 'mark of Zorro z turn shape' to a 'Superman s turn shape'.

I feel it's also important to reinforce / make you aware that the first half of the turn is an acceleration phase.

You're not afraid of speed, so enjoy the acceleration through the first part of the curve and continue to pivot and edge your skis across the steepest part of the slope and back up the hill decelerating as you complete the turn.

You're very close to making a big step forward.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
finestgreen, Apart from issues Rob mentioned, looks alright, as you described, for cruising well-groomed pistes. You seem balanced, relaxed and in control.
You should 'experiment' with some chopped up snow or gentle moguls next time....see how you feel and adapt to it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all! I'll certainly get more lessons in the future, your advice is in-addition-to not instead-of.

One thing nobody mentioned is stance width: should I be worried my feet are too far apart?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
finestgreen wrote:
One thing nobody mentioned is stance width: should I be worried my feet are too far apart?
As you get better balanced on your outside ski your stance width will probably narrow slightly, closer to a more natural hip width. I think you should focus on your fundamental skills first, then see if you need to make any changes to other aspects such as stance width, arm carriage, etc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
finestgreen, a wide stance is no bad thing. Too many people ski too narrow so I wouldn't unduly worry about that. For now I'd concentrate on turn initiation, body position and stance including pole plants.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
finestgreen, a wide stance is no bad thing.

It's pants in powder, or at least it is with traditionally cambered skis.
ski holidays
Its also very difficult to ski parallel (defined as simultaneous edge changes) and to get inside enough, and is often because of a) a lack of balance on the new outside ski b) a feeling of not trusting the balance that is there. However as rob@rar, says, don't worry about it, it will come.

Markymark29, you are right that a narrow stance is also a problem, a stance "hip width" apart is ideal.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

+1 from me too

everything people have mentioned will help but I would concentrate on specific drills to assist in correcting or developing a skill rather than trying something to stop everything in one go.

look for drills to prevent upper body rotation, getting your hands forward rather than dragging them along will help improve your posture and will be needed for steeper terrain to use your poles effectively especially in the bumps.

As Rob states the turns are pushed similar to a hockey stop, try letting the skis do more of the work and see if you can feel the edges engaging as you turn towards and through the fall line.

Also by initiating the turns on the outside ski the inside ski becomes easier to rotate and that will reduce the wedge shape we sometimes see
snow report
You needs to you use your poles to time your turns.

I would also say feet closer together to work on your style a little. Fashions change. Instructors at the moment recommend hip width apart which works in most terrain except moguls but looks rather ragged in my opinion.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy