Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Injury

Poster: A snowHead
As you know, I had a ski accident when in Val Thorens in January and broke my femur in two places! After spending 6 days in hospital in France, I am now having physio and under the care of the Orthopaedic Surgeons back home here in Glasgow.

I don't know if I am being over-sensitive but some friends have been making fun and have basically said that "you can't be a very good skier if you broke your leg" - I know they are probably joking but do you think there is some truth in the statement that having a ski related injury means not being a very good skier. Personally, I think, you can have a ski injury whether a beginner or an olympic expert skier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-03-14 1:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, I didn't know, as it happens. Maybe if you had a blog I could be sure not to miss an instalment. I've had lots of mountain bike injuries, so clearly can't ride for toffee. I've had one decent snowboard injury, so I'm probably mediocre. I've never injured myself skiing, so you'll probably see me in Pyeong Chang in 2018.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970,

"Personally, I think, you can have a ski injury whether a beginning or an olympic expert skier" -- Correct. :: Friends will always take the wee wee (sometimes in ignorance ; are they skiers?? - if not, then they don't know what they are talking about....!)

p.s - I put "take the p*ss" in my post - swear filter changed it to "take the wee wee" !!!!!!!!!!!!! -- but I fooled it with a *********************************** !! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, good grief man rolling eyes have you never learned that both friends and enemies will take the piddle out of any misfortune of your own making?

If you cannot parse tween friend or foe, we're not the peers to do it for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, good grief man rolling eyes have you never learned that both friends and enemies will take the piddle out of any misfortune of your own making?

If you cannot parse tween friend or foe, we're not the peers to do it for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, You are developing a stutter old man
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, You are being over sensitive. I like to take the piss* out of your indecision on here. Doesn't mean I don't like you. I hope you laugh when I do, if you don't see the funny side, let me know and I will stop. I am guessing your mates are the same.

* albob swear filter 101 Neh Neh
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I feel for you as your injury was a bad one but....get a grip of yourself. Who gives a shite what they say?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next time take pics of the best looking nurse then tell your mates you had a bed bath every single day and she was so so gentle NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970 wrote:
As you know, I had a ski accident when in Val Thorens in January and broke my femur in two places! After spending 6 days in hospital in France, I am now having physio and under the care of the Orthopaedic Surgeons back home here in Glasgow.

I don't know if I am being over-sensitive but some friends have been making fun and have basically said that "you can't be a very good skier if you broke your leg" - I know they are probably joking but do you think there is some truth in the statement that having a ski related injury means not being a very good skier. Personally, I think, you can have a ski injury whether a beginner or an olympic expert skier.

Depends on your definition of good skier

Btw I didn't know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Herman Maier had the odd tumble - he was rubbish...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, your friends are (mostly) probably trying to cheer you up.
A bit of humour to counteract the worry.
Among my skiing friends the injuries are distributed evenly among the good and bad skiers: but on the whole, the worst injuries are among the better skiers.
Injuries can come any time.
One friend completely knackered his knee while teaching his kids - all four ligaments torn, slow twisting injury.
Another got taken out by some out of control idiot on a steep slope and shattered his shoulder plus compound fracture of tib and fib.
Hope you get back to skiing soon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, people who say that probably aren't skiers because skiers would know you can get an injury any time. Ignore them. When I went to my local UK hospital for an X-ray after fracturing my pelvis skiing the radiographer shook her head and said "you're my third skiing injury this morning" (and it was only about 1030 am) I can't understand why you do it". She wasn't a skier.

But more to the point, how is your leg mending? Most of us regale everyone else with a step by step account of our recovery. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, good natured ribbing is like an unwritten rule when it comes to injuries involving sports.

My Dad broke his foot playing hockey (he got in the way of a good cross from his own side), when he got to A&E he got laughed at (ok a few years back now). I have had my share of them especially from the number of times I have ended up on crutches in the office (and only once due to skiing).

Hope it heals well, make sure you work hard at the Physio it is so easy to loose muscle with injuries.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, I think you are probably being over-sensitive, but when you are laid up with an injury, bored and fed-up , its easy for well-intended ribbing from mates to be taken the wrong way. I've met you and know you have a great sense of humour, so perhaps the recovery from your injury is getting you down a bit. How is the leg doing?
Any skier can have an injury.
ski holidays
Almost every pro skier has injured themselves at some point, so your friends are wrong, but best to still just take it as banter.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
jb1970, I think you are probably being over-sensitive, but when you are laid up with an injury, bored and fed-up , its easy for well-intended ribbing from mates to be taken the wrong way. I've met you and know you have a great sense of humour, so perhaps the recovery from your injury is getting you down a bit. How is the leg doing?

+1

Are you weight bearing yet? Can you get private physio on your travel insurance?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:

jb1970 I injured my shoulder 8 weeks ago skiing and will be going back to work tomorrow but lots of folks still taking the "P" out of me especially the non-skiers and now there is no bruising for them to see rolling eyes
I hope you are back to fitness really soon x snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies folks. I'm getting there slowly but surely and physio is a great help. The only fly in the ointment is that the Orthopaedic Surgeons at my last appointment (at the end of February) said that the two screws at the bottom of the rod in my leg should go into two pins and one of the screws isn't doing this and that he would like to keep an eye on this - I've to go back and see him on 15 April, so hopefully its healing the way it should. I've been told only to weight bear on my toes which I have been doing but I feel I can move my leg a lot more now; one of the big things for me which I think is quite a good indicator is that I can sleep on my side (rather than sleep on my back which was driving me nuts) - I also don't feel as much pain at night when sleeping and I haven't been taking painkillers for ages now!

So, so far so good, although need to see what the Orthopaedic Surgeon says on 15 April, but I'm keeping positive.

Thanks again for all your replies and I'm not going to let these non skiing or indeed skiing friends of mine wind me up anymore - they don't understand our "ways"! lol

x
latest report
Quote:
jb1970 I injured my shoulder 8 weeks ago skiing and will be going back to work tomorrow but lots of folks still taking the "P" out of me especially the non-skiers and now there is no bruising for them to see rolling eyes

Linds I'm a skier, well most of the time at least, Madeye-Smiley

jb1970As others have said, those who don't ski take the p because they don'y understand, your friends do it because they're your friends wink . I have injured myself skiing, motorcycling, climbing etc, fortunately rarely seriously despite my best attempts. However I expect my mates to take the p, I'd probably be disappointed if they didn't!
snow report
jb1970, hope that the errant screw ends up going into the pin and that good physio will make you right as rain. Think of all the injuries that Chemmy Alcott suffered and she is pretty good.
The year I went home with my leg in a brace and a cracked kneecap I had lots of 'ha, ha, s'pose you did that skiing' comments - mine was just a simple fall down the last stair onto the tiled floor. Yours sounds like a really nasty break so good luck.
ski holidays
Rule 5
snow report
dan100 wrote:
Rule 5

What's rule 5?
latest report
dan100 wrote:
Rule 5

+1

jb1970 wrote:
What's rule 5?

= MTFU

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
dan100 wrote:
Rule 5

+1

jb1970 wrote:
What's rule 5?

= MTFU

Toofy Grin

What does rule 5 and MTFU mean?! Am I missing something?
ski holidays
jb1970, the rules
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
jb1970, the rules

Ah ok!
latest report
I got loads of ribbing and still do from my mates from my fall 3 years back that resulted in a broken hand and collar bone not least about personal hygiene issues left collar bone and right hand. Just go with the flow and give as good as you get.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question is, is your potential as a skier permanently stymied due to this injury. (assuming you were born in 1970) after this injury reality is you will never be as good again as you were before the injury (assuming you were good, but not such an expert you could avoid breaking your leg)
snow report
Linds wrote:

Pix - I'm really sorry....no one told me we had to wait until you were injured to take the "P" out of you. I thought we just did that all the time wink

(Glad to hear you're getting better though!)
snow report
jb1970, They're only teasing you! I don't consider myself to have more than average skiing ability, but haven't broken anything yet (and hope never to..though I've done some spectacular crashing at times).
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
Question is, is your potential as a skier permanently stymied due to this injury. (assuming you were born in 1970) after this injury reality is you will never be as good again as you were before the injury (assuming you were good, but not such an expert you could avoid breaking your leg)

Absolute nonsense.

I am 54. I broke my tibial plateau and buggered my knee pretty badly last year. I have done intensive rehab and this season skied better and faster than ever before.
snow conditions
jb1970, Can happen to anyone. Friends take the p1ss, it's what they do.

Rule 5 again.
snow conditions
Quote:

is your potential as a skier permanently stymied due to this injury. (assuming you were born in 1970) after this injury reality is you will never be as good again as you were before the injury (assuming you were good, but not such an expert you could avoid breaking your leg)

yes, rubbish all round. Lots of experts break their legs. And there's no reason why a fractured bone, properly treated, shouldn't be as strong as ever.
latest report
jb1970, I'm sure Chemmy Alcott, or any of the many pro-racers who have broken legs would disagree with your friends. Rule 5 mate!!
snow conditions
jb1970, mmmm rule 5 applies, I've broken my right fib, tib, collarbone, left wrist plated, left Bennetts fracture thumb, and right arm in sports injurys over the years.....badly sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago in St Anton, the way I see it just laugh back at your mates, they're obviously not trying hard enough. Just got back from a 2 hour MTB ride with my left peg strapped up, life's for living eh? wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
Linds wrote:

Pix - I'm really sorry....no one told me we had to wait until you were injured to take the "P" out of you. I thought we just did that all the time wink

(Glad to hear you're getting better though!)

rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
jb1970 wrote:
dan100 wrote:
Rule 5

What's rule 5?

They are based on the Velomati cycling rules, only there are far fewer of them, and they are not that funny or ironic. It was one of those things that maybe seemed like a good idea but didn't really work out. Maybe if TGR had done it, it would have been better. Props to Feef for trying.

regarding injury, broken thumb, broken wrist, broken ankle skiing, I would almost certainly be a better skier without them to be honest. All are a pain really, especially the ankle. I remember on my first ever ski trip one of the kids broke his femur on the drag lift when he collided with a pylon, really nasty, but at least clean bone breaks tend to heel ok, it is joint and spiral injuries that are bad.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-03-14 20:38; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
the rules
ski holidays
jb1970, good luck with the recovery. Worst I have done is a ruptures achilles - A&E consultant laughed at me (especially after I told him that Mrs was due to give birth a day or so later - I was a lot of help around the house). Re the p*ss taking, standard for blokes of all ages, especially where it's to do with sports. Father in law is 90 and he and his mates take the p*ss out of each other something rotten when playing golf (if golf counts as a sport).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy