Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jargon busting help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

That's a fair point, but what is "seeking the target aplitude" anyways?

If I was given a task to ski in a corridor X m wide, then I'd try and immediately ski to fill that corridor with my turns. So I'd be seeking (and achieving) the right amplitude, but at the cost of not having continuously linked arcs (another big of jargon there!). They'd rather I always had the continuously linked arcs (one turn flowing into the next without a traverse) and let my speed and amplitude build up. They weren't making a big deal out of it, just recommending something for me to change that will help me improve my skiing.

Quote:

Please (everyone else) don't run away with the idea that SSE qualified folk will drown you in technical speak --- in my experience that's very far from the case.

+1
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kieranm wrote:

"Central peripheral flow" is a rather fancy way of saying your skis travel further than your body around the turns, so your body can be quiet and go (roughly) straight while your legs and skis go to either side and move underneath you. Angular and rotational separation would be another wordy way of describing this.

Thankyou! Very Happy Have a virtual pint on me - this describes exactly what I've been trying to work on, I just didn't know that was what it was called. It makes sense now. All I need to do next is actually do it...

I still don't get why he couldn't just have said "the way you ski normally" rather than "core form" but hey ho. I work in an industry famed/ridiculed for having its own internal languages so who am I to judge?!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing I, as a punter, have learned from this thread, is that I am grateful for having has lessons from so many foreign instructors (I'll include one Scottish "ledge" in that group). At least they conversed in English in straightforward terms that I understood (from a beginner through to intermediate perspective). They, as non-natural English speakers probably had to be clear without probably being able to resort to jargon and "instruct the instructor talk". TFFT!!!

I'd say my vocabulary on matters skiing is reasonably good, now....even so.... rolling eyes

RO
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
An instructor's job is to communicate in the language of the guest insights that guide them in improving their skiing. Any instructor who cannot do this isn't doing his or her job and the guest should receive a refund for their tuition. I'm appalled, in particular because I work very hard at my communications skills, refining them, being careful to use words that I think help and avoiding those that give the wrong impression, and being sensitive to those who have particular knowledge that allows me to use or avoid particular terms (like physical therapists who understand various technical terms for body movement better than I do!).

So, this is evidence of a ski instructor with weak communication skills. It brings into question their assessment of your skiing skills, in my view!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, +1

Cacciatore, I'd say this is much more about a (possibly !) not terribly experienced instructor --- I have had confusing lessons from all nationalities (and some from very highly qualified folk) not just the English.

I'd say most, if not all, of what we ought to do is to able to describe the changes we want our clients/performers to make in a way that they understand - sometimes may be with jargon, sometimes not - depending on the situation.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, We should also be able to teach non-verbally, since not everyone learns by listening! It's also useful when there's no common language between instructor and student.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, skinanny, well put! It's about guiding the guest to changes that will make a difference for them. All changes are "different" and so, often, "uncomfortable." Our ability to communicate in such a way that the guest connects to sensations and movements that improve their skiing is a primary key.

I have lately been focusing on what the skis do with my guests rather than what their body is doing. I help them understand what we would like the skis to do (stay fully on the snow, engage the entire edge, etc.) and only then give them an opening for considering what body movements will cause that result. I do so with guided discovery, and it's always interesting to see where guests tend to focus: get your weight forward, shift your weight, reach forward, and so on. Rarely do they focus on what they want the skis to do. So, I help them with that focus. Form follows function.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By chance, early in my instructing days, I met up with a phsycologist and we had a good chat about the science of learning. It fascinated me so I decided to look a bit further.

It made a massive difference to how I imparted information and how I interacted with each individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_styles#Fleming.27s_VAK.2FVARK_model
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably a quick apology in order for any SSE instructors out there. I wasn't implying that they are techy robots when teaching but the terms "core form" and "central flow" are from their system, so I had a little guess. The exams I have seen run at Hemel tend to be very technical in nature student to examiner which is fine and I am sure they aren't encouraged to use that sort of language with clients.

and for skinanny and others there is a lot of emphasis on non verbal teaching and learner styles when learning how to teach people to ski whatever system you are in...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, I wasn't suggesting that other systems don't emphasize non verbal teaching and different learning styles - I know they do. There are many different nationalities represented over here - many of whom get their full certification in their home system before moving over here, so there's plenty of discussion on how things are not so different, after all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy