Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden or Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldn't say Ischgl is ugly either, at least in winter. A lot of is kind of... squashed together a bit though..? It does still have charm with snow on the ground and lit up at night though.

My roommate was doing the interior panel roofing for the new gondola station and said the same about construction in town - lots of upgrades to hotels etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are looking at Solden this year but are having a terrible time trying to find somewhere that will allow us to book a short break as opposed to the week. Had the same problem with trying to book Ischgl last year.
Anyone got any tips for accommodation in either resort for a short break?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use something like booking.com to see which properties will offer weekends then just book, I did that for Ischgl a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't say Ischgl was ugly did I? I said it was garish (meaning loud and flashy) and bling, in other words it's OTT but hey that's only my opinion. I happen to like traditional, and also very contemporary architecture and quite often a mix of the two works well, I don't think Ischgl's architecture is either, and does itself no favours, but take it as you find it. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers folks great that new lifts are going in, it's one of the things I like about Austria almost always fast warm modern lifts. I don't worry too much about the town, I love traditional alpine, but it can't be worse than Andorra so I'll take the bits I like and forget the rest, won't be doing much in the town
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cant say I've ever noticed anything wrong with the appearance of Ischgl
We do go for accommodation that's away from louder parts of the village though Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had to change our apartment, it's in Kappl, so a bit of a drive, I don't mind though, it will another area to ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You had better like partying with Germanic and Russian Men. At least 5-1 ratio guys to girls. But fun time. The partying is absolutely nuts. Skiing is ok; good not great. No interest in going back for me. Mostly red slopes. Nothing too tough, nothing too easy. Can be VERY VERY crowded on the slopes. Lifts everywhere. Restaurants everywhere. Not the most scenic Alpine resort. With that being said if you like to ski on piste and like good red runs you have struck gold.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've just confirmed our boys (not really anymore!) trip to Ischgl next Jan. It's my first time to Austria and from what I've read it looks great. There looks to be loads of piste skiing but is the off piste any good. I've been to chamonix for the last 3 years, does it compare? Or should I apologise for hijacking this post.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonesj, plenty of good off piste piste, as ever you'll be best of hiring a guide. It doesn't have the range of Chamonux (few places do), but nor does it have the crowds to track the place out so quickly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nunfa1, have you tried this: http://www.mariatheresia-soelden.at/en/index.php

I was there Jan 2013 Tue-Sun and enjoyed my time. Single room and nice breakfast.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiberg, Jonesj, plenty of good offpiste, and plenty of gnarr too if you look hard enough.

I get what skiberg means about lifts everywhere and not being the prettiest (Alpd Trida is a Be Nice please! mess with crisscrossing chairlifts), but heading over the other side to Samnaun is much quiter and prettier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, Alp Trida is a mess isn't it! Otherwise all good, but just a crazy high speed crossroads there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nunfa1

The Hotel Garni Sunshine will take short bookings. I booked through booking.com but they will then email you and ask you to pay through their website or by funds transfer. I fould it easier to send the deposit by transfer, although it would of course be safer to pay by creidt card through the site.

Hotel is in ideal position (if you want 50m walk to gondola and an apres bar below you, across the street from you and just round the corner from you.

It's B & B and has the use of the family's other hotel's swimming pool (directly opposite).

JimboS and I will be there 24 Jan.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How do I bold a SH's name in my post?
snow conditions
Ghost Dog, click on the name on the left-hand side that you want to highlight! wink

Booked my accommodation for the World Cup races in Sölden at the end of next month. I may put my skis in and ski on the Friday, depends on how my shoulder is healing (rotator cuff reconstruction surgery carried out on 5th August). It is a great time to meet up with and photograph the racers as they are still fairly relaxed. Training up of the Rettenbach Glacier on the Friday is never really hard core so they are really chatty and easy to approach (with a notable exception, but she's not racing GS any more, so she won't be there! Toofy Grin

I think a lot of tosh is talked about Sölden by people who have never bothered to look/go beyond the main drag. I like it, I like the people, the range of accommodation available and the main village is interesting, more interesting than just a few cheesy bars near the 2 big cable lifts. The skiing is superb and is good for all levels and lets people with different abilities meet up for lunch as well as afterwards in a bar or restaurant that suits their tastes. So what if in some bars people smoke, it wasn't that long ago people did the same in the UK. Plenty of bars and restaurants available in Sölden where smoking is either discouraged or the extraction systems are so effective that you do not notice.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, That sounds great, I had a hard time choosing, I don't mind though because I probably will continue to ski the general area while Ryanair fly to memmingen. May keep it for an adult only short ski trip. Toofy Grin
latest report
Just booked a long weekend in Solden for January. Would have preferred Ischgl but couldn't find accommodation for a short term stay. Will be a shock to the system having spent the last few years at really quiet resorts, Samoens, Gressoney, St Foy etc looking forward to some lively après - not so keen on the prospects of other people being on the mountain at the same time.
ski holidays
Ha ha, other people can ruin it alright, I love being one of the last on the mountain and one of the first on in the am, you will probably find quieter areas though, I always hope to avoid the more popular runs. Hate having to watch out for idiots who think they can ski but can't stop or turn...
snow report
lmu2002, thanks I'll have a look.
Ghost Dog, I checked out that hotel based on a review you did but the price was coming out ridiculously expensive. I might check it out on booking though, see if it's any different.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy