Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is booking Scotland a month in advance a bit optomistic?

Poster: A snowHead
Well out of work at the moment so our usual trip to the Alps at Easter won't be happening but looking on the SYHA website me and the kids can stay in Aviemore the week before Easter for a rather more doable £60 a night for a few days.
Yes I know howling gales can wipe out the Scottish resorts at anytime but on balance do snowHead think its worth the gamble at this stage?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davkt, you could rent an alpine apartment for under - well under - £60 a night. wink But I guess it's a bit closer to drive to Scotland!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt,
Snow depths are looking fine and you would be very unlucky to get no reasonable skiing, but Aviemore is a great place with a lot of non skiing possibilities if you can't get skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Yep, travel costs for me, 2 kids (eldest (1Cool doesn't ski any more but is coming to Scotland where as she stays with the ex (her choice) if we are in the Alps) and 3 sets of ski gear are pretty steep whereas a tank and a bit of diesel in the Saab should get us to the Highlands and back for about the cost of one lot bags there and back on the plane! Driving wise, its about 250 miles to Dover, another 140 gets us to Aviemore and while I can cope with kids trying to kill each other in the car driving at home I wouldn't fancy trying to drive on the wrong side of the road with them carrying on!
T Bar, Yep thats why I'm looking there as plenty for the non skiing daughter to amuse herself with while we are hopefully skiing.
Toastertalby is quite excited as it will mean she can add another to list of countries she has skied in!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and looking at the Ts&Cs on the Scottish Youth Hostels site I can cancel as late as 3 days before for a 90% refund so 4 nights booked and even if all the snow vanishes and the week has a filthy weather forecast that is only £24 risked!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I can cancel as late as 3 days before for a 90% refund so 4 nights booked and even if all the snow vanishes and the week has a filthy weather forecast that is only £24 risked!

that sounds excellent - no reason not to go for it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davkt, do it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(and I will keep my fingers crossed for you) snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davkt, We did it with two young boys for five Easters when we couldn't afford anything else. Yes, you take pot luck on the weather, wind and rain being common, but there are other activities e.g. walking, reindeer visit etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went on a sailing holiday down the Great Glen, from Inverness, at Easter one year. There was a foot of snow on the Drumochter Pass as we drove up. It was cheap - not sailing season. But we were living in Scotland at the time, so no big drive involved.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have got 4 nights booked (go up Sunday 13th back home Thurs, if the skiing is worth it after a final morning on the mountains.) The 18YO who 'retired' (her words) from snow sports at 15 has stayed at home our last 2 trips to Alps has also surprised us all by asking if we have any ski kit that will fit her as she might have a go again!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well back from Scotland, 2 great days skiing at Nevis and Glencoe, 1 day wiped out by wind closing Nevis and heavy rain at Glencoe, yep I know you can ski in the rain but not a good plan with kids in tow! Toastertalby was complaining Scottish reds are easy compared to Les 2 Alpes where she has skied most but I keep telling her most places runs of a particular colour are easier than L2A's of the same colour!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davkt, Sounds good. Did the 18 year old ski in the end?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iski, Nope she found too many interesting things to do round and about the hostel we were in, a really nice place just by the Caledonian Canal at the Neptune's Staircase flight of locks.
The younger two are already planning on having me driving them up to Scotland after school on Friday and back home after lunch on Sunday every weekend they are with me and the slopes are open next winter!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davkt, Excellent!
snow report
davkt, sounds like a good trip. Especially if the 18 year old enjoyed the hostel - I've been through that flight of locks, it's a fun place. 2 out of 3 days good skiing sounds like a result - same as my last two November trips to the Tignes glacier.
ski holidays
Iski, Nope she found too many interesting things to do round and about the hostel we were in, a really nice place just by the Caledonian Canal at the Neptune's Staircase flight of locks.
The younger two are already planning on having me driving them up to Scotland after school on Friday and back home after lunch on Sunday every weekend they are with me and the slopes are open next winter!
pam w, Yep it was a really good few days, way better and no more expensive than snowdome skiing!
ski holidays
A couple of pics of the kids enjoying the Scottish reds (The Goose at Nevis)

And at least there wasn't room for Toastertalby to vanish too far off the side of the piste!

ski holidays
davkt, I'm pleased that you and your kids enjoyed your Scottish ski trip. Looks like the young 'uns have formed quite a liking for Scottish skiing! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Yep, Toastertalby's summary was not as good as L2A but miles better than the snowdome and the two of them are currently trying to work out just how many weekends next winter they can spend in Scotland.
ski holidays
davkt, Im so pleased you had a good time Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

the two of them are currently trying to work out just how many weekends next winter they can spend in Scotland.

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy