Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding position, for'd vs back, e.g. Rossi vs Völkl

Poster: A snowHead
DB, you see, now I have a conundrum.

The other day, with no prior correspondence between us, you decided to pass judgement on my character on a public forum. I'm not sure who made you judge and jury but you accused me of 'crumbling' whenever somebody bites back and not standing my ground. I replied in a perfectly polite manner explaining that I don't see it as crumbling, I see it as the more mature response to just ignore it and move on.

You then passed judgement again that I'm unfair on franzClammer to which I again wrote a detailed, polite response explaining that you don't know half of the correspondence between us. You can see from his posts yesterday that he still wants my interaction. Your reply to that was to pass judgment again that I should be praising, not criticising him and another antagonistic post of a competitive Dad video. I replied humorously; the mature response, I thought.

Today, in response to one little smiley, you've told me to STFU or else fight you (and let's not play semantics - that's exactly what you meant). When I've not crumbled in the face of your internet threats, you've then become even more aggressive, attempting to intimidate me further by publishing my apartment address (presumably because you're going to come round and beat me up) followed by petty insults around my ski qualifications and choice of apartment. Now you put another post saying I criticise others but can't take criticism back, passing judgement again.

It's funny how it's often said that people are blind to their own faults. An objective bystander might just come to the conclusion that the person exhibiting bullying behaviour here, is you. And I'm afraid my number one pet hate in the world is hypocrisy. Sorry about that.

So do you see my conundrum? My normal response would be to walk away and just ignore you (which is why I suggested deleting the posts to clean up the thread) but that would be enhancing your argument that I 'crumble' when confronted. So I can't do that. But if I respond in kind, making childish insults, passing judgment on your character and getting personal, that's just immature and I don't want to be that either.

So what do I do? It's a real Catch 22. Decisions, decisions....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raceplate, walk away. Who cares if some bloke on the internet says you 'crumble'? It's clear you've been incredibly generous to FC with your time outside of this internet forum and that he has benefited from your input in real life. Lucky him, and good for you. This thread has now gone crazy. Just leave it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And thread from 2009 on the same topic is much geekier = good.

Raceplate, I'm still struggling with some of your assertions. And I can't offer up anything else until I get my hands on my skis, which won't be until next weekend. I'll revert with some empirical observations then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suggest a ski-off to settle this.

Being the "best skier on the mountain" I'll judge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, fair enough. That thread might be too geeky even for me! I had a quick scan but will try to study it properly later. Nothing about national ski traits but the same assertion that backwards = skidding from skimottaret so it does show this is neither a new theory nor my personal one. I've just been summarising my understanding of what I thought was a fairly well accepted concept. I'm happy to have my understanding enhanced.

It's occurred to me that this is rather like the principle behind rockers. Nearly every non-race ski now has them because they help float off-piste. But can anybody show me some scientific evidence to prove that? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, thanks for your support; it's appreciated. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homers double, how will we ever catch you down those Black runs? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate,

When I see someone who comes over as a bully I call them out / wind them up. There was no threat, just wanted to see if you were prepared to say face to face what you say over the internet. Printing your address removes the anonymous element, it's pretty easy for me to find out who you are. LOL me a bully? The reason I started boxing at the age of 14 was to deal with bullies. It's interesting how often the bully quickly trys to turn things round and become the victim or backs down as soon as someone bites back.

I actually thought you were onto something with the mounting point and so although you are not my favourite poster I went to the trouble of taking some pics in my best black socks, on my shinny tiles just for you. Your response was a belittling roll eyes which got my goat.

Some people feel good by putting others down but this is skiing not SAS training. Why do you criticise franzClammer so harshly in public but not in private?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, here we go again. Exhibiting exactly the kind of behaviour you're accusing me of and another thinly veiled threat of physical violence - "I'm a boxer and I can find out who you are".

What's next? I tell you I've got a shotgun licence? You tell me you're a tank commander? I tell you my uncle's got a nuclear submarine? Where do you want to stop?

Quote:
I actually thought you were onto something with the mounting point and so although you are not my favourite poster I went to the trouble of taking some pics in my best black socks, on my shinny tiles just for you.
Yes, and you're sulking because I didn't pat you on the back. Which was deliberate because of your comments the other day. Ha ha, bad luck, you rose to it. Grow up.

The rolling eyes weren't for that post, they were for your subsequent post of blindingly obvious insight that anyone with an IQ above room temperature would've worked out for themselves.

Quote:
Why do you criticise franzClammer so harshly in public but not in private?
a) What's it got to do with you? It's not your business.
b) You're passing judgement with no facts again. You don't know what our private correspondence is and I'm certainly not going to betray his confidence by discussing it with you in public. When he appoints you as his bodyguard and secretary, you can see it then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate wrote:
It's occurred to me that this is rather like the principle behind rockers. Nearly every non-race ski now has them because they help float off-piste. But can anybody show me some scientific evidence to prove that? Toofy Grin

Well the effects of rocker are commonly accepted and the physics of having a larger pre-bent up bit of ski deflecting more snow down causing a larger buoyant force is reasonably intuitive. Particularly when people have experience of boat hulls and water skis. It also doesn't rest on a rather shaky sounding generalization about manufacturers from two countries.

Other than that the claims are identical! Little Angel NehNeh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate,
You do have a great imagination, if I wanted to physically threaten you it would be crystal clear. I haven't even got abusive, unlike some.

Nice of you to help out Franz by offering an old pair of old B2's for a much more valuable pair of Head Magnum's. Very generous of you. Is it because the mounting point is further forward that they are so valuable?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 7-03-14 15:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, yes, but I can't believe it unless you show me some scientific tests with a massive sample size and a very small standard deviation. wink NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, nice of you to offer him a knackered old pair with cheap bindings on. I thought I'd just saved him £100. He's already shelled out £70 so it solves the problem for him for the cost of collect and deliver. It's not exactly doing me a favour when I won't be skiing again this season.

And nice to see that you really understand the thread. Rossi's are valuable because their binding point is the most forward. Which as you saw on his last videos, was particularly helpful to him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, ha ha, you've just edited your first post because you've realised you've got it wrong, yet again.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the Atomic/Rossignol comparison is still of any interest, ski design separated by 10yrs!:

For approximately the same shovel length I've gained a few cm at the tail. Pic3 shows the 4 positions available on the Atomic binding.

No fancy flooring cos this is part of the garage wink
ski holidays
pretty fancy for a garage Smile
snow conditions
Raceplate,
Irrespective of what he paid I know which is the more valuable set of skis by a long way. Just my opinion but he got a bargin and you are offering to take it off him. At the rate he is improving, it won't be long before Franz can use the head skis although it will take a bit longer until he can really ski them.

I've got a better pair of bindings in the cellar that can be moved forward and backward. Franz can have them too.

Was it the forward mount or the fact that the B2's are much less ski (less stiff and more forgiving?). Actually the reason he needs another set of B2's is because he lost one in the offpiste. Forward mounted bindings may be better for onpiste but not so much offpiste. Maybe that's one reason why he lost the ski in the first place.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 7-03-14 16:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
balernoStu,
You send me your new Rossi's for my old Rossi's and then we can do a same vintage comparison and everyone is happy. wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB, it's not a bargain if you can't ski on them! It's like buying a cheap Bentley without a driving licence. What are you going do, just look at it? Watch someone else drive it?

The problem with getting a pair of random B2s off the internet is you don't know how many weeks they've done. They're a foam core with a single metal layer. Foam never had the greatest reputation and if it's broken down they'll be useless. Worse, it's quite possible they'll just snap - I've seen it happen. I know I've done less than 3 weeks on mine and 4 days of that was 3 weeks ago - there's nothing wrong with them. They've also got Axial 2 120's on them which is where the real value is.

Forward position could be a contributor to falling over off-piste although the 'shark nose' was supposed to prevent tip dive. Not as effective as a rocker though, if you believe all the non-scientific evidence. wink
snow conditions
Raceplate,
The Bentley still has a fair market value. Either sell it for a fair market price or wait until you can drive it. Take your point about foam skis. I've also offered the Bandit XX's to Franz via PM (circa 4 weeks on them) for postage costs only. (need to clear out the cellar as a home move is loaming).
ski holidays
DB, although I've never skied them, I always thought the XX's had a reputation for being demanding, not easy. And they're older than 2003 - the white B2 was released that year, which I also had. Mine are the blue 2006 version, which was the first with metal in it, I believe.
snow conditions
Raceplate,
The bandit XX's do have metal in them as do your mod 2006 B2's. They must be 2001 or 2002 model, probably bought in 2003. Yes they are not a learner ski but I doubt as demanding as the Magnum's.
latest report
DB, BTW, you still haven't sent me your address. You said it's wrong for people to be anonymous on the internet so I presume you're happy to publish your address on here, too. Fair's fair and all that.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
DB, BTW, you still haven't sent me your address. You said it's wrong for people to be anonymous on the internet so I presume you're happy to publish your address on here, too. Fair's fair and all that.

I never promised to send you my address.

Raceplate wrote:
DB, send me your address, dickhead. You made an unprovoked attack on me the other day - you reap what you sow.

Nothing wrong with being anonymous provided you aren't being abusive (i.e. calling people dickheads etc). That isn't even your full time address.
Why do you want my address?
snow report
DB, and telling people to STFU from behind a keyboard is not abusive? I tell you what, you delete the post with the address and we'll call it quits.
latest report
Raceplate, Hate to say it, but ... I told you so Laughing
snow report
ALQ, I know you did... wink
snow conditions
It's no wonder FC has stayed so quiet in this thread… he's done rather well out of this whole shambles wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
miranda, Laughing I'm feeling neglected
latest report
Some of the Realskiers article which I read a few years ago reflects my own experience with some Atomic piste-type skis that I've tried out over the past few years.

So, in search of some data, I've compared a pair of reasonably similar skis that were used by our group (and which I currently have stored in my house). These are piste-based, non-rockered, intermediate (ish) skis, about 4 or 5 years old.

The Salomon is an Aero GT 158cm, 114-70-96 R14. The distance from the ski tip to the front of the Salomon Z10 binding plate is 66.75cm, the corresponding rear figure is 43.5cm.

The Atomic is a D2 VF73 159, 118-73-103 R13.5. The distance from the ski tip to the front of the Atomic XTO 10 (relabelled Salomon Z10) binding plate is 71.0cm, the corresponding rear figure is 40.0cm.

When set for boots with the same BSL, the bindings on the Salomon skis are 3.5cm forward of those on the Atomics.

I've skied both and the Salomons were fine and moving the bindings made no improvement (IMHO). With the Atomics, I found that moving the bindings forward by 1.6cm suited me much better than the "neutral" position.

(When I mention moving the bindings, in this case, I mean moving the front binding forward on the rail by 4 clicks and the same with the rear binding rather than moving the whole plate etc. et at!)

PS I also tried this on some Fichers a few years back (RX8s and AMC76s) and hated the forward position (1.5cm), the mid position was fine and the rear (1.5cm) was OK-ish.

PPS Another member of the group has the newer rockered (only a bit!) Atomic D2 VF73 and the binding plate position is the same as the non-rockered version.
snow report
Apart from the slanging match, this has been a very interesting thread! I've just moved my bindings forward 25mm, I'll report back.
snow report
I've just sat back and thought "Be Nice please! me this is boring, we're sliding down a hill with planks on our feet!"
ski holidays
provenjohn wrote:
Apart from the slanging match, this has been a very interesting thread! I've just moved my bindings forward 25mm, I'll report back.

Well, I'm of the opinion that they skied a lot better & turn initiation was much improved Smile could be my imagination?, don't care as I thought they were a lot better snowHead
snow conditions
provenjohn wrote:
provenjohn wrote:

Well, I'm of the opinion that they skied a lot better & turn initiation was much improved Smile could be my imagination?, don't care as I thought they were a lot better snowHead

But what were the skis?
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
I've just sat back and thought " me this is boring, we're sliding down a hill with planks on our feet!"

Which is why you are forever destined to slide down a hill with planks on your feet. You picked your moniker well....
latest report
provenjohn wrote:
provenjohn wrote:

According to the tests I did the week before last 25mm is quite an extreme change, and yes I am certain it was not your imagination. That very much ties in with my own experience. I'm able to adjust my Titan binding to plus and minus 25mm in 7.5mm steps and did an exploration of the effect which I'll write up properly. We tested it with two skiers, myself (30 years and 60+weeks) and a mate, (2 years, 9 weeks) to try and get a wider range of perceived effect. 25mm forward seemed quite a change, the skis were sh*t quick to turn, but.. I did sort of feel the tails breakaway on hard pack and so, depending on what you tested them on you might want to think on backing them off just a bit. ymmv. on bumps that far forward they felt like shorter skis.

would be interested to hear what skis this was on.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
provenjohn wrote:
provenjohn wrote:

But what were the skis?

Atomic vario fibre
ski holidays
Quote:

But what were the skis?

Atomic vario fibre

So of the "germanic" line. With the binding forward, what is the distance between the end of the tail and where the position of the front of the boot will be in the front binding and the same distance measured direct from the tip and whats the stated ski length? Will be interested to compare with what I have here.
ski holidays
andyrew wrote:
Quote:

But what were the skis?

Atomic vario fibre

So of the "germanic" line. With the binding forward, what is the distance between the end of the tail and where the position of the front of the boot will be in the front binding and the same distance measured direct from the tip and whats the stated ski length? Will be interested to compare with what I have here.

In order of your questions:

808mm
756mm
157cm

Little Angel
snow report
Conversely I moved the bindings back a notch on the Rossi Pursuits Smile

One 'notch' is only around 1cm but it is noticable, well I think it is, and am preferring the new position. As shown in an earlier post the recommended mount was well forward when compared to an old Atomic ski. I since checked my Rossi SL skis (2009/10), and they are somewhere between the 2 pictured.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy