Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding position, for'd vs back, e.g. Rossi vs Völkl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
provenjohn wrote:
Because of the slanging match, this has been a very interesting thread! I've just moved my bindings forward 25mm, I'll report back.

Fixed it for you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all, interesting reading and thought I'd add a few more questions into the mix having just purchased a pair of handmade skis at great expense that I tried on a testing day and fell in love with, only to receive my pair and find the bindings are mounted, (what feels like), way too far back.As they are hand made, there are no manufacturers marks on the ski, so I can't tell by eye. The skis on the test were extremely playful and lively, with loads of rebound and with mine I feel like I'm fighting to try and get over the centre of the ski.

I am interested to know what defines the true centre of the ski. I can understand that the theoretical centre could have something to do with the centre of the turn radius, linked to the sidecut but most skis have a different side cut fore and aft. Also, I would think that the fulcrum/central balance point would have an effect. Surely, if you were in deep powder, having a nose heavy ski would make things a bit of a challenge as the tip would want to bury itself. I'm sure it would make a ski feel less playful and direct on piste too and perhaps a bit 'flappy'. It makes a big difference on a car, hence BMW have banged on about 'perfect 50/50 weight distribution' for years.

Unfortunately, the Marker Squire bindings have no adjustment, (as far as I can tell), so I think a re-mount is the only option I have.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pablito wrote:
the bindings are mounted, (what feels like), way too far back.As they are hand made, there are no manufacturers marks on the ski, so I can't tell by eye. The skis on the test were extremely playful and lively, with loads of rebound and with mine I feel like I'm fighting to try and get over the centre of the ski.

You could dry dropping the manufacturer an email and asking about recommended mount points; small ski companies are often very helpful.

Pablito wrote:
Surely, if you were in deep powder, having a nose heavy ski would make things a bit of a challenge as the tip would want to bury itself. I'm sure it would make a ski feel less playful and direct on piste too and perhaps a bit 'flappy'.

Stiffness and rocker will have a much bigger effect on what happens to the tip in soft snow; the weight of the tips of the ski will have negligible effect. Mounting positions for powder are often further back than 'standard'... this helps keep the heaviest bit of the assembly, the skiier, back and lets the tips plane up and over the snow. Shifting the mount forwards puts that heavy lump forwards, which aids in sinking the tips, right?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had the bindings mounted just for me on both my pairs of skis. First time just at the manufacturers recommended position, on a pair on women's specific skis. No problem at all.

Second time was a pair of Down skis. Took them to Sole boot Lab, who spent a good amount of time looking them over, checking the rocker etc, having never seen them before. They then completely ignored the manufacturers markings, worked out the fulcrum/balance point with a steel cylinder, spent close to 10 minutes grilling me on my skiing style, level, where I liked to ski etc, then decided where to put the bindings. They've been absolutely spot on.

I reckon I feel very slightly further back on the Down skis, but both positions work perfectly on each pair of skis for what I need. The Down skis are offpiste a lot more, the Scotts (1st pair) spend more time on piste. (Though both get used easily in all conditions.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx, that's interesting what you said about Sole boot lab finding the balance point with a steel cylinder. That's what I did, admittedly with the bindings on the skis and the fulcrum was about 2cm back from the front binding, which I thought seemed a bit far forward. My skis a re a classic design, with no rocker and a traditional sidecut. The manufacturer has agreed to go skiing with me for the day and make any necessary adjustments, so I'm happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I had found this thread about a year ago

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2511966&highlight=#2511966

This was a thread I started asking for advice related to the practical application of this topic, got lots of good advice about ramp angle and boot stuff which was useful but not quite what I was after. Bottom line though I moved my binding position forward and it made a difference. However I also changed other things. I think the key thing he is to remember this is not a magic bullet, just one potential adjustment on the way to (personal) skiing nirvana Smile

Interestingly I did buy the Salomon q90's I mentioned in the thread above and had an interesting mounting conversation with Terry and SkiBartlett, and we discussed relative merits of mount at centre point etc rather than manufacturer suggestion, but on those skis' its impossible to mount traditional centre.

Basically they have a vertical sidewall but only for the cambered part of the ski, the rocker at both ends is cap wall construction. Terrys advice and I concurred was to mount to the centre point of the vertical sidewall, which interestingly corresponded exactly (well near enough, spot on on one ski and a mm out on the other (oh those ski company scamps and there inaccurate paint jobs) to the Salomon's recommended line.

So I guess this raise another interesting question with rockered ski's and ski's with hybrid skidewalss like this, the decision about centre point is to an extent either taken away from you or defined differently depending on how you want to look at it. I.e should you be mounting to the centre point of the unrockered length of the ski, and given that on many skis the front rocker is longer than the back that is why ski mounting points are moving backwards because that is how the manufacturers are doing it?

Not sure this helps discussion but I thought it was mildly interesting Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I posted this in a thread in The Piste forum: www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114730

Being a curious sort I decide to measure my 'old' Rossis and new Volkls and this is what I found.

Rossignol Pursuit 16 Ti (2013) vs Volkl Code Speedwall S UVO (2015) 

.............................. --- cm --- 
..................... Rossignol ....Volkl 
.....................----------- --------
Length ...................170 ......166 
Nose rocker .............25 ....... 31 
Tail rocker ................ 6 ........16 
Running surface ... 141 ..... 119 
CRS .........................70.5 .... 59.5 
Binding: 
Toe ahead of CRS .. 13.5 .... 13.5 
Heel behind CRS .....18 ....... 18 

So the bindings are set at exactly the same position relative to the Centre of Running Surface.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy