Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere Persval or Raton-Layeur?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Val with a group - most of whom are staying in Cygnaski (fully booked). 2 of us are thus looking for accomodation alternatives...

Dug up two chalet options Raton-Layeur, which appears to be near Cygnaski, or Persval, which is in the centre of the village. Anyone been to either or have any other useful thoughts - about Val's layout or other good places to stay? I've only stayed in Tignes before and don't have much memory of Val's layout...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have stayed in both.

The Raton-Laveur is uphill from the Cygnaski. It is almost the highest building in that part of the resort. It seems a long walk from R-L to, well, anything else in the resort. Finlays suggest that their clients leave skis and boot in Persval and walk between them. R-L is a quaint building but makes a nice chalet, away from the crowds. It has many regular repeat customers who believe its charm outweighs its location. Have discussed R-L versus Persval with some of them and been called lazy because I prefer Persval. When I stayed in R-L, I carried my skis up to it every eveniung, not really a problem. Access to ski slopes means walking between R-L and bus stop, then bus to lifts.

Persval is much nearer the centre of town. It is an easy walk to the nursery slopes or slighty further to the nearest bus stop. (Need a bus if you plan to start skiing from La Dialle or Fornet.) PV is only a hundred or so metres from the base of the Savonette, the free button lift. It gives easy access to several other lifts. A couple of times I have skiied back to the door of PV (ski tips on welcome mat), but that does mean skiing across a road.

R-L is closer to Cygnaski than PV but between PV and Cygnaski there are many of the central shops and bars.

Finlays are a nice company to stay with. Their resort staff include Richard who is a director and has had many years running Finlays in the resort.

My personal choice is Persval, but the Raton-Laveur has many fans.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Adrian. Excellent advice!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Friends of ours have nothing but praise for Finlays, but have not done Val d'Isere unfortunatley.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.valdisere.com/gb/sejour/hebergement/localisation.php has the Val d'Isere resort map. Click-click-click to get the Centre Village area.

Persval is in square E8, right in the corner closest to square F7.

Raton-Laveur is in square D5, or possibly just in C5. Forgotten precisely which of the two areas of building shown on the map.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy