Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Folie Douce - like or loathe?

Poster: A snowHead
If course Pedantica, and i only drink champagne Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to like to stop there years ago for lunch. It had good toilets. We always stopped for a mid morning waffle. And I loved the band on the roof. No, well it's not the place for me. I would hate to ruin my kit with champagne.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a fan, have been to the ones at Val D, Meribel & Val T but much prefer the original Val D one. I love the band on the roof-cheesy it might be but its just a bit of fun Razz Its a one drink stop on the way back down at the end of the day for us but I wouldn't spend all afternoon there.

I cant say I've ever noticed that many middle aged men there, its usually full of youngsters Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn, FBash = Family Bash
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely not a fan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite like it, not hugely fussed but like to stop by one day of the trip. Had more fun in Austria apres though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love the one at ValdI for an end of day stop when I am in the mood. Hate it when I pass by and am in the mood for the peace and quiet of the mountains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I worked 2 seasons in Ibiza while at Uni and it's the same kind of punter that goes to the FD, people with no imagination who have to be force fed their entertainment. I love loud music but not while surrounded by a bunch of people who, in 20 years time will be voting Tory, reading the daily mail and complaining about how the youth of today have no respect.

It's garbage.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidhammy, Really? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidhammy, been visiting quite a few years, not always stopping but nope it didn't happen to us!! Good to see people celebrating life and just having fun Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found it really useful a couple of months back skiing in a really bad white out trying to get back to Tignes from Val - I just headed for the "sound" so I knew where I was to drop down and get the right chair back up Smile

Think honestly it's an age thing, my twin daughters love it.

Years ago I used to love the loud busy apres ski (in fact came across it in the Lodge in La Tania same road trip as Tignes) and decided it's a no no now.

Here we just come back home, then nip out for a drink when all the punters are staggering back for their evening meal wink

But Serre Che does not really have anywhere like any of those mass apres ski bars, maybe the Grotte but not really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Folie Douce is one of the reasons we choose to go to other resorts, Its like going on a club 18-30 to Benidorm, which I last did 30 years ago as a wee 19 year old.

I like a beer and I like music, but I don't like drinking overpriced fizzy pop, whilst being bludgeoned to death by banging out house muzak,

Now where is my Human League LP Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

I don't like drinking overpriced fizzy pop, whilst being bludgeoned to death by banging out house muzak
Nutshell! And it's not an age thing, I didn't like this in my youth either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got my stepson visiting me in L2A in a couple of weeks and I suspect I'll be experiencing the Pano Bar for the 1st time, nearest thing there to FD, thumping music from 3.30 at 2500m. As it's right next door to the park I suspect there will probably be a younger clentele, although I haven't investigated closely I usually keep a safe distance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going slightly off topic, has anyone ever heard "Sweet Caroline" done Euro-Pop Stylie. Sacrilege. Sad Sad
snow conditions
I like 'em. Been to the VT one a good few times.

Quite sure I'll visit the one in Val d'Isere later this month.

Good bit of fun and you don't have to partake in anything you don't want to, however, if dancing on tables is your style then why not...
latest report
Kel wrote:
Going slightly off topic, has anyone ever heard "Sweet Caroline" done Euro-Pop Stylie. Sacrilege. Sad Sad

Sweet Caroline..BOOM DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH BOOM...good times never felt so good ...BOOM technotechnotechno techoBOOM...?
snow conditions
Quote:

I worked 2 seasons in Ibiza while at Uni and it's the same kind of punter that goes to the FD, people with no imagination who have to be force fed their entertainment. I love loud music but not while surrounded by a bunch of people who, in 20 years time will be voting Tory, reading the daily mail and complaining about how the youth of today have no respect.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That thing.
snow conditions
I wasn't expecting to, but I liked it rather a lot (in VT) and found it suprisingly easily priced at E6 for a pint, seemed a young crowd in the main including a lot of local instructors, and it didn't seem sleazy at all. I'd def give it another try - good finish to the day once or twice in a holiday and I'm told earlier in the day it was good for a coffee too.
We liked it enough we missed the last lift home rolling eyes
snow conditions
Each to their own - lots of people clearly like it otherwise they wouldn't keep springing up all over the shop.

If you enjoy it - go. If you don't there are plenty of other places to visit.

I like the 'I worked 2 seasons in Ibiza' comment. Oh bless you.
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Each to their own.

Sure but the question was "like or loathe".
snow conditions
davidhammy wrote:
complaining about how the youth of today have no respect.

My complaint about the youth of today is that they've far too much respect. I want to be shocked and appalled and to be able to say "you call that music" but all I get is politeness and cover versions of what we listened to decades ago. Useless.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-03-14 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm a fan - enjoy a "few" beers to some banging apres music and LFD in VT was OK on most fronts at last year's EoSB Toofy Grin

Austria generally seems to do it all much, much better, though....
ski holidays
Quote:

If I wanted that sort of thing I'd go to the Pano in 2Alpes, which at least has the merit of being a locally-run business and not a 'brand'.

Pano is the number one best thing about the L2A ski area Very Happy
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
I want to be shocked and appalled and to be able to say "you call that music"

I well remember my dad complaining about how all the young singers on tv kept moving about as they sang ("why can't they stay still like proper singers?) and saying the Beatles would be forgotten in a few years (must have been about 1965).
But we all turn into our dads eventually: i find myself confused about Rap and moaning "you call that music!" Sad
snow conditions
davidhammy wrote:

It's garbage.

so you were the only worthy person in the whole of Ibiza? Laughing
snow report
I quite like it, it's nice for a bit of a change. The food is good, the bogs are nice, and the staff are charming. It's fabulous for a bit of people watching, and there are plenty of other places in ADH and Oz that offer more in the way of rustic charm. Variety is the spice of life after all. Although I've never seen anyone in the roped off VIP bit at the top, I suspect that would offer an even more fascinating insight into the ski culture of the considerably more well off. Cool
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/g8uboHUOAk4

I know nothing about the Folie Douce but that clip isn't exactly inspiring, some rather bored looking people skulking about, maybe they are just tired? I mean WTF is that guy doing stuffing a tripod down his pants in the foreground, then there is lardy sax player who makes it sound like a Kazoo, over on the left drunk minger with fag in her mouth. Ski boots and dancing certainly don't mix.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main issue with the Folie Douce is that since they are up the mountain they have to close when the lifts do. So instead of "apres ski" they are actually "au lieu du ski". I like a bit of apres but I can drink anytime, skiing is limited to between 9am and 5pm.
snow conditions
I LOVE it!! The one in Val d'Isere is great. I love the music and the atmosphere. You can't beat bouncing about to some banging house tunes halfway up a mountain, looking out at the snowy panorama. Yes there are a few (OK many) pretentious posers but you just laugh to yourself and let them get on with it.

I really liked the one in Val Thorens as well, it was great fun with all the Snowheads last year, and the music was a bit different. Smoke on the Water anyone?

The Meribel one was impressive, and I wish I could have stayed longer but I had to leave early to get back to Courchevel.

I can certainly pick the people in this thread who I'd love to party with (and have!!)
snow report
For the one in Val, apart from the music, the price of the drinks and the majority of its clientele (who just have to, like, post selfies of themselves on the net daaahhhhling) its fine!
latest report
davidof, Bangin'
latest report
Flet©h wrote:
The main issue with the Folie Douce is that since they are up the mountain they have to close when the lifts do. So instead of "apres ski" they are actually "au lieu du ski". I like a bit of apres but I can drink anytime, skiing is limited to between 9am and 5pm.

Hmmm, ok, well I guess it keeps their clientelle off the mountain, which is probably a positive thing all round.
ski holidays
Quote:
so you were the only worthy person in the whole of Ibiza?

Smile
snow report
davidof wrote:

I know nothing about the Folie Douce but that clip isn't exactly inspiring, some rather bored looking people skulking about, maybe they are just tired? I mean WTF is that guy doing stuffing a tripod down his pants in the foreground, then there is lardy sax player who makes it sound like a Kazoo, over on the left drunk minger with fag in her mouth. Ski boots and dancing certainly don't mix.

It does look a bit dull in that clip - this was they day we were there, pretty chilled around the edges but pretty bouncy once you are actually inside:
http://youtube.com/v/BCo0ZEufKgU

Skiboots and dancing DO mix, very comfy and zero fear of being stepped on, I was so suprised, could have stayed for ages.

aj xx
snow report
I went to the one in Meribel for lunch which was very nice. My kids were giggling at how crap the lady in the sequined trousers was at singing and wanted to know why she was walking up and down the bar. I suspect I'm not in the demographic that they are aiming for these days rolling eyes
latest report
Well, I might give the one in VT another chance if a) admin negotiates a decent discount and b) Dr Lawn is there for a bop. wink
snow report
Unfortunately we discoverd the Meribel folie on our way skiing down last week. Just as noisy as in VT. I think this does'nt belong to the mountains. Why can't they keep their noise inside and have to bother people who prefer the sound of nature. I think this should be forbidden.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-03-14 7:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ton, I am in the "loathe" camp but Meribel is hardly the destination for somebody seeking a "close to nature" experience. There are hundreds of resorts throughout the Alps where you could find peace and quiet.
snow conditions
We skied Col the Fruit last week and were totally alone on the slopes. Meribel has more to offer than noise and crowds I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy