Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot flex question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Newby calling CEM and any other wizzard boot fitters... will try to be brief
I need your advice, i need to change my ski boots due to the fact that mine kill my feet. They are too loose and as a consequence my toes scrunch up, i get killer metatarsalgia - which does nothing for my mortons neuroma! lets just say its not fun and after 2 years in these boots (men's tecnica phoenix 80's, - they were free, please dont judge me) i just cant take the pain any more. i also have hobit (size 26.5/27 and 103mm wide) feet, i should point out i an unfit 37 year old woman, that am nearly 5 foot 6 and weigh 80kg Embarassed i also have a duff knee - it clicks, occasionally gives way, aches a little and is generally stiff. i reckon it's a mildly torn meniscus! Did it skiing last year, not yet seen a doctor (other than the one i live with)... This is the other reason i need new boots - i just cant flex mine and end up back seated the whole time, that and the painful feet issue means i cant improve my early intermidiot skiing. so i figure i need to reduce my flex??? Or do i just need lady boots of 80 flex???
I would like to improve and so want to get boots i can progress in. Here comes my question (finally) - will boots of flex 70 be too hard for my duff knee now and too soft for me in a couple of years? also i think my skis are a little too short (atomic affinity pure 154's) and am wondering what the consequence of the s**t fest/cluster f**k of too short skis, potentially too hard/soft boots and too massive me, will do for my duff knee!? What flex boot would you suggest? i know i need to go to be fitted - will travel for the right boot - i am trying to track down a Lange xc 70 or salomon quest access 70 as they are wide fitting boots, (and they aren't pink - i am actually allergic to pink) but no-one seems to be carrying them in the UK yet this year. is it just too early, should i wait? i know it's a little pre season to be asking, i just know from just buying normal shoes that the ones made for hobits sell out quickly... and i dont want to go all the way to bicester or london or timbuctoo for that matter, to try on narrow (or pink) boots! please help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frankEvb, This thread answers most of your questions.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111995

See a good bootfitter. If your boots are done up too tight as they are too big then that can also prevent them from flexing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
frankEvb, flex is a number nothing else, the higher the number the stiffer the boot (in theory and in the same range form the same manufacturer) 70 flex is a VERY soft boot for all but a beginner of a very light skier

a soft boot will not save you knee, being set up correctly in a boot which fit you is a more effective solution, the next thing is not to focus on the published width of the boot, shape and volume are just as important, the toe box shape can dramatically affect how wide or narrow a boot of the same "published width" feels to your foot, then of course it is possible to stretch the front of a ski boot in width by a long way, it is so much more important to get the fit of the back of the foot right and then make the front wider if required sorting a boot which fits the front and then trying to tighten the heel is a nigntmare
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
frankEvb, Expert advice about boots already - but I'd just add that if you haven't already, see a good sports physio about your knee. It's so important to strengthen your muscles. I have a torn meniscus (actually getting it trimmed today - arthroscopy). My GP noticed muscle wastage (VMO) when I initially went to see her and suggested I see a physio, which I did. He got that muscle going well and I did a fair bit of general strengthening exercise which did make the knee feel more stable BUT despite his efforts I couldn't flex it right up - i.e. if I stood on left leg (the bad one) I could hold my right foot and press heel into my bottom. But the left leg just wouldn't get there, despite some work he did on the muscle and I just felt there was something wrong in there. It complains if I walk much on rough ground and swells up too readily.

My knees, even without the tear, aren't great - I'm old, for a start. If I ski "in the back seat" my knees let me know instantly. Apart from getting the right boots and doing exercises (quads but don't forget hamstrings and stretching) it might also be worth getting some good ski lessons to improve your stance. I've found that makes a big difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you every one, esp (CEM - think i might come and see you... when will you have your full range in? and do you carry hobit sizes in all the boots you advertise on the web?) (pam w - good luck with your knee, just tried the knee/bottom test (at work Shocked ) miles off on both legs rolling eyes think it may be time to head to the gym rolling eyes, thank you for your advice )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
frankEvb, boots all in stock and selling, diary getting full of appointments, what size do you mean by hobbit... we go down to 24.5 in most mens boots that we stock, or 25 if that is the smallest they make. womens boots 22.5 or 23 again if they don't make a smaller one and we have one model in a 21.5 (although it is a modified 22 shell)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frankEvb, I went to the NHS on a self referral for a long running knee problem and they sorted me out with 2 decent examinations, a load of exercises to do at home and 8 weekly knee physio classes at my local hospital, all tailored to building up support for my dodgy left knee. After 4 weeks I can feel the difference.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM hobit feet means big feet for shorter person... size 7.5 or 8 in shoes... am basically L shaped Shocked are you able to order in boots to try for last suitability? Puzzled
Scarpa am glad we sorted you out promptly, is good to hear that these things dont always require a surgical intervention Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
frankEvb, currently we have 54 models and about 450 pairs in stock so i would hope that we have something to fit, unfortunately suppliers don't just let us order single pairs boots on the off chance that we want them
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
70 is a very soft boot for your weight. Your current skis are also very soft. I suspect you feel in the back seat because you are overpowering your equipment. When you try to get forward you get no support or feedback because you're skiing on a pair of noodles in boots as soft as slippers that don't fit properly.

M
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyperkub, i was about to disagree with you but thought back to an impromptu family visit to Braehead some years back where we had to use their utterly rubbish boots.

I think you have a good point.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy