Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Beast - Any Mid-season reviews/Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from the EoSB where I skied all week on the Beast 14 set Din 8 (I'm 70kg) mounted on Dynafit Grand Teton (106 under foot)
Gave them a good workout, mostly off-piste on some very chattery snow, spring snow and some absolutely charging runs on hard morning pistes....
Skis just like an alpine binding, zero pre-release and skinned up for a bit one morning and found the binding no problem to open with a ski pole to put it back into downhill mode, so all in all a top binding!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, don't try it with a carbon pole though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carbon poles + touring
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Love my Beast 16s but having skied on STs the B16s are squarely an alpine binding with great touring capacity. The label now for the B16s is "Freeride" I feel totally locked in and confident in them. No pre-release reservations at all. Drove the STs hard and was pleased with their response but I did not have the confidence that the pins were going to stop in...

I'll be doing all my powder lumps and jumps in the B16s but when it comes to touring and lightweight work, especially in spring, then I'm going to be on some STs.

Mate had the lightweight Plums (ultralight race) and they looked ridiculous. Ridiculously light and totally insubstantial... However, we skied the same stuff and put in similar amount of effort, stress. He was locked in on his plums and I was in B16s DIN/RV12. I was envious...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KenX, Binned my carbon ones and bought some BD alu ones instead, I don't like carbon poles
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, done a lot of touring using Black Diamond Razor Carbon poles without any problems.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kelskii, I know, just a bit paranoid about them snapping in the middle of nowhere as opposed to bending like an alloy pole........
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, as opposed to breaking when you try and bend em back...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Grinning, Ah, but the smart thing with an alloy pole is to leave it bent, with a carbon one you can only leave it broke.........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had loads of problems last year with my Beast 16 toe piece, I broke three and then decided enough was enough, last thing you need when back country! so replaced them with the Beast 14 (they share some mounting holes).

The Beast 14 is superb, considerably better than its bigger heavier brother, much easier to get in and out, going from ski to walk mode also is fairly easy but only when broken in...

I have noticed that this seasons Beast 16 comes with a redesigned toe, removing the parts that were a problem for me, obviously I was one of many with problems with the toe piece. So if you are offered the Beast 16 from 20014-15 do not buy it!! There should have been a product recall on this!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Downhill Sailor, What was wrong with them? I've had 16's for 2 seasons with no problems.... Shocked

That said only found out last week you need to regularly grease them - they jammed over New Year but seem ok now - all gunked up with grease.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 15-01-16 14:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Downhill Sailor, What exactly broke and how? Which boots?

As far as I am aware the heel piece is the same on the on 14 and 16, other than din rating, so I assume your issues where with the toe piece.

I've not had any problems with the toes on my 2 pairs of 16's.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Downhill Sailor wrote:
I had loads of problems last year with my Beast 16 toe piece, I broke three and then decided enough was enough, last thing you need when back country! so replaced them with the Beast 14 (they share some mounting holes).

The Beast 14 is superb, considerably better than its bigger heavier brother, much easier to get in and out, going from ski to walk mode also is fairly easy but only when broken in...

I have noticed that this seasons Beast 16 comes with a redesigned toe, removing the parts that were a problem for me, obviously I was one of many with problems with the toe piece. So if you are offered the Beast 16 from 20014-15 do not buy it!! There should have been a product recall on this!

The Beast 16 & 14 toes do not share the same holes.

I've found the Beast 16 toe to be bomber. I get to see all the EU warranty reports & I'm only aware of one broken toe binding which unfortunately happened to be one of the many pairs that I'd supplied.

The Beast 16 was launched in 13/14 (the green ones) & the toe was mod'ed in 14/15 (the burgundy/gold ones). It's actually the same design but with the addition of a mechanism to indicate/ensure that the pins are seated fully in boots that have toe inserts that are outside of Dynafits spec.

I'd be interested to hear the details of the problem you had.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had three TOE pieces break on me. Mainly the roll pin coming out on the lock out, the last toe piece fell apart! so I decided enough was enough as I had another two weeks of skiing.
All of these were sent back to Dynafit so there is no question of them knowing about the problem. As I explained earlier the problem pieces are not in this years design.
Spyderjon, I clearly said SOME holes! And as I said the Toe was the problem, hence me changing to the 14.
snow report
@Downhill Sailor, which dealer/country did you buy them from? Did you return them to the dealer or to Dynafit?

I'd like to know as:

- I've not heard of that problem
- A dealer can exchange a component/binding but not return the binding to Dynafit (but they should submit a fault report)

I'll be taking to Dynafit at ISPO & I'd like to discuss it with them.
snow report
@Spyderjon,
As explained before the toe piece has been redesigned so I am sure these problems have been looked at.
You are probably right, the broken toe pieces would have been sent back to Anatom not Dynafit. This did happen to me three times and I sent photos each time, finally sending the complete binding set back as I had no confidence to go back country with a very unreliable binding.
I would be very surprised if Dynafit did not receive the toe pieces or the photos from Anatom.
latest report
@Downhill Sailor, Is there any chance you had the pre-production green Beast? I know that the toe design changed from the pre-production model to the limited edition 2500 numbered sets. Did your Beast's have numbers on the heels?

The differences are shown in this review.

http://www.doglotion.com/dynafit-beast-review-production-version-touring-binding

I'm not doubting your report, but since I have two pairs, if there is a toe fault I want to know about it.
latest report
I found one of my photos of the broken toe piece and it looks like the production model.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy