Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Beast - Any Mid-season reviews/Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any Dynafit Beast users out there with any thoughts on this binding? I am particularly looking to hear about Ski rather than Touring feedback.

Any advice on what the greatest differential between ski width and brake size can be if I want to swap them around on QKs? i.e. can I put a 120mm brake size on a 99mm width ski?

And any advice on the Beast Heel fitting and particularly whether you can continue to easily swap out a Technica Cochise heel block or not?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Here's a pic of the Power Insert fitted to a Cochise heel so as you can see it's fine.

I've done a few weeks on the Beast prototype & one week on the production Beast. They ski superbly with all the elasticity/confidence of a top-end alpine binding but with the direct contact/feel of a tech binding. Only issue is that it takes quite a bit of force to release the heel from tour to ski mode but I just use the handle of the metal bristled 'toothbrush' I use to clean out the toe binding at the same time.

I use the 120mm brake version which is Quiver Killer'd across skis of 88mm, 108mm & 117mm widths with no problem as they cam-in nicely when retracted. A customer has the 135mm brakes for his fat skis & they're still fine on his 98mm Mantras.

There was very limited supply initial & I'd presold all mine last summer but luckily not every dealer took their allocation so I've managed to get more so I've got them in stock in both 120 & 135mm wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are people still skiing other alpine/touring bindings?!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really rather intrigued by the Beast 14.

Can anyone confirm (I've read conflicting things) if the power inserts for the Beast (you do still need them or the 14 right?) work with older dynafit bindings and marker barons too?

mishmash, I have no problems using 135 brakes to ski on 97mm skis, only issue is the skis don't clamp together so quite well when carrying them but it's not a biggie.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, can't quite see the point of the 14 myself unless you have to ski on 5 din, although it is a bit lighter than the 16.

Yes, with the power insert fitted you can use any other Dynafit binding & the Marker D/B/F's (after adjusting the forward pressure) although once you have the Beasts you'll never ski the Markers again. The power insert is easily swapped out for the regular insert at any time if you want.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rad 2 12, all a preson needs!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, cheers.

I only need a DIN of 10, so lighter and cheaper sounds good to me!

I'd just keep the barons on my über fatties (which tbh I doubt I'll ever tour on, just the barons and TLT speeds are the only bindings I own and can't be bothered switching to DIN soles on my boots rules out buying cheap alpine bindings), then make EHPs with beasts my everyday ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
can't quite see the point of the 14 myself unless you have to ski on 5 din, although it is a bit lighter than the 16.

Price perhaps ? The first of a bunch of variations that will eventually reduce the currently stupid price to some future, more sensible price ?

It was talked about way back, so Dynafit always knew they had a problem ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100110#2326854
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been skiing mine exclusively from lifts and on ice/wind mank for a couple of months and they are a significant improvement over the ski feel of normal Dynafits, particularly in those conditions. Itching to get touring on them but the little one is preventing it right now.

From a purely psychological perspective its awesome not to have some doubt in the back of your mind over how likely your skiing is to exceed the elasticity of the binding. I've definitely skied much more aggressively in the conditions than I would have on my normal Radicals.

As CH2O says the Radical 2 looks might tasty.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - All very helpful. I had read one or 2 negative points on TGR re Toe release in touring mode but that seems somewhat unusual as well as unsubstantiated elsewhere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mishmash, I think that was user error from mounting the very front touring lock block the wrong way round or not engaging it fully.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mishmash wrote:
Thanks - All very helpful. I had read one or 2 negative points on TGR re Toe release in touring mode but that seems somewhat unusual as well as unsubstantiated elsewhere.

As meh says, that was caused by the shop idiots that mounted the front locking lever bracket the wrong way round so that it wouldn't engage rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's a happy Beast 16 user.
Skiing feel is good and solid now I am confident in their retention characteristics. I now have it out of my head that they are flimsy, floppy things.

No pre-releases. One sensible toe release hitting a chunk of debris at Rv11. Had 30 days on them so far this year, only two days touring but I'm sure there is more touring to be done after this fine weather spell.

I'm going to start carrying a toothbrush. My only niggle has been releasing from touring mode. Not as easy to flick height changes as the FTs, more practice needed, any tips on wher to position the pole tip for a smooth height transition?

Toe entry registers more easily than the FTs.

I have 112 underfoot and 105 brakes. The brakes deploy and retract without catching the sidewall. Whilst there is not much clearance - there is always some clearance, no contact. The brake always deploys when I exit the bindings which is the situation I was worried about.

Summary: the ski feel is solid and the touring is a liberating experience after my Dukes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dynamite say there is a fix for the toe pieces being very stiff to exit (by pole, not in release). There is a "replacement part" which they said would be ready in November. Still no word who will fit the replacement part and I'm off 7/1, snow-willing.

Rather panicky about support in the UK for this rather rare "Beast"

Speaking to Tinker who Dynafit put on the case but I don't think he has any info for me. Anyone out there know who best to contact to sort out this after sales fix???

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Grinning, I'm a Dynafit dealer/Beast user & can provide any support you require - however the retro-fit part for the 13/14 Beast 16 (it's already on the 14/15 Beast 16's & the Beast 14) is a doddle to DIY fit.

With regard to your toothbrush requirement: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2596000&highlight=stainless+steel+brush#2596000
ski holidays
Reassuring news spyderjon, thank you!

Similar doddle to fitting the Beast horseshoe on boot heel?😄

Hope the parts come with a fitting guide. Heard they had been shipped in today.

Cheers and seasons greetings.
ski holidays
Just wondering how anyone thinks they will compare to the upcoming Market Kingpin ?
snow conditions
Similar, in it's first year from a company with no tech binding experience AFAIK so I'd wait for more product lemmings to test it myself. More reassuring design for people used to alpine bindings. Lighter so better on that count. Could be excellent, definitely a nice trend in freeride bindings.
latest report
Horrible bit of name dropping here, but I know Fritz Barthel, who is Mr Dynafit.

I first bumped into him up in Lyngen and we kept in touch for a while and I skied with him and his dad when they were down in this part of the world for a couple of days, and had my legs torn off, his old man and a woman were both in their 70's back then.

I've recently been in contact with him again as I'm testing some of the new kids on the block such as the second generation Vipec (and what a feck they are to set up), Fall Line Mag gave it binding of the year, which I find interesting as I can't really see how they could have skied it that much ?

The Beast will take some beating and Fritz did tell me a while ago that once their (Dynafit) patent runs out then there will be many versions on a theme as it were and that's certainly what we've seen over the last few years.

When I tour with the local CAF Club here in Briancon no one is using anything "modern" as such, just simple TLT's, though these guys are very quick going up and many are true ski mountaineers,who tend to enjoy the ascent more than the descent........

Anyway he sent me this link which is quite amusing https://www.wildsnow.com/14413/binding-tech-barthel-marker/

He also sent me a superb coffee table book on Thirty Years of Dynafit Tech Bindings and it's truly glorious.

I'm out on the Vipec's tomorrow, will be interesting.............

And those Quiver Killers seem to be a superb piece of kit/idea, my mate arrives tomorrow with them on a couple of pairs of skis I think along with his Beasts and he's already been in wee wee taking mode the last couple of weeks.

And didn't Dynafit decide to recall the TLT Rad 2 or was that another model ???
ski holidays
@Weathercam, they didn't recal the Rad 2, they just postponed the release (as far as I understand it).

Very interested to hear how the Vipec skis - particularly hard snow feel and whether or not it rattles to your teeth out on re-frozen chop.
ski holidays
@clarky999, what I've heard is that it was pulled as they were having problems with the heel piece.

As for the Vipec's I'll do a more detailed review once I've used them across a variety of conditions.

First outing had a real blond moment with them, as I could not get the breaks to stay up in tour mode, took me a good couple of minutes to work out that you had to push down again (two clickc) to engage the locking mechanism.

No issues at all with engaging the front as they have a neat entry system and no issues at all once ascending.

The descent was on hard frozen boiler plate at the top (went up too early and this time of year sun not at it's strongest) lower down found some soft stuff and very sweet, no issues and I was using new Scott Powd'airs.

My mate is now out with his White Dot Carbon Range Lite with Beast 14's so will be interesting to feel the weight difference between the two pairs as I know the Vipecs are a way lighter setup than the Beasts
ski holidays
Beast 14 best binding in the world. Vipec hilarious at best, Kinder surprise quality and function. Rad 2, all this gossip and rubbish being sent around. It hasn't been recalled or any of that shite. They'll be around soon, Dynafit just need to clear a few shelves first. The problem with the Rad2 is a tiny component, one that's easily changed and could be, and in certain models has been, but as said, shelves need to be cleaned first. Christ, the Net is worse than Hello Magazine at times.
ski holidays
Dynafit Beast toepiece duly exorcised thanks to Tinker from Anatom!

Thank you Tinker for sorting replacement toe pieces of the gold-plated variety no less. Duly fitted and now reporting a smooth toe-piece exit.

Looking forward to making first uphill tracks of the season Blush
snow report
Had my first day on the Beast 14s today (first day on any kind of tech bindings, actually). Skiing feels completely natural on piste, off piste, boilerplate, crud, ice, bumps, very small airs, and a limited amount of soft-but-heavy, shin-deep snow (we need more snow!). Had no pre-releases and everything felt tight and stable.

I accidentally put one binding into touring mode when clicking into the binding and then had a real bitch of a time getting it back into skiing mode (and I'm still not sure what, exactly, I did to get it into skiing mode). It is definitely not for the faint-hearted and I wouldn't want to be doing this on any kind of exposed terrain Shocked I clearly need more practise.

At the end of the day, the toe piece of one binding would not release. There was a fair bit of ice build-up around it and clearing the ice with my fingers and ski pole eventually allowed it to release.

I've never used tech bindings before and there were no instructions with these binding (and a complete lack of demo or instructional videos on Dynafit's site or anywhere else on the web), so I'm not even sure if I was using them correctly (are you meant to flick the toe piece lever up after clicking in or not?). I'll have to return to the shop tomorrow to ask them to show me how to use the bindings.

My difficulties aside, which are purely down to lack of knowledge and experience, I felt absolutely confident skiing in them in all types of terrain. Once I know how to actually operate the danged things then I'll try skinning but am not expecting any surprises there.
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
I've never used tech bindings before and there were no instructions with these binding (and a complete lack of demo or instructional videos on Dynafit's site or anywhere else on the web), so I'm not even sure if I was using them correctly (are you meant to flick the toe piece lever up after clicking in or not?). I'll have to return to the shop tomorrow to ask them to show me how to use the bindings.

Video explanation for click-in/release here Madeye-Smiley [2m42s]:

http://youtube.com/v/A3s1UxMhyvQ
snow report
JaMMi, that vid shows the Beast 16 – the toe piece lever on the Beast 14 is completely different and appears to work in the opposite direction. However, Hoji's explanation of the mechanics and toe piece rotation have cleared up the question I had about the position the 14's toe piece lever should be in for skiing and touring. Changing the heel piece from touring mode into skiing mode in that vid looked like a doddle compared to the struggle I experienced today.

Thanks for posting that, it was a revelation!
latest report
@Zero_G, the heel is pretty bloody stiff. There's a bit of a knack to it with pressing down on the brake at the same time. People have broken Whippets and ski poles levering it. It does loosen up a bit though with use. My 16s are still a bit of a fight but nothing crazy.

The 14s toe piece I think works in the regular way step in for skiing and pull up through the clicks for touring? No idea how it locks out the rotation though?
snow conditions
@Zero_G, the bindings come with a detailed instruction booklet that the shop should have given you. Plus a decent shop would've offered to give you a complete run down on their use prior to you leaving the store - and the best time to do that is when setting up the binding using the customers own boot (fine length adjustment/dins etc).

The Beast 14 heel is the same as the 16 but with lighter springs so any of the instructional vids re using the 16 are fine. However the toe tour/ski lever on the 14 operates in reverse from the that of the 16. The 14 toe is basically a pivoting version of the Radical toe & operates in the same way & there's loads of stuff on youtube re using them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh wrote:
@Zero_G, the heel is pretty bloody stiff. There's a bit of a knack to it with pressing down on the brake at the same time. People have broken Whippets and ski poles levering it. It does loosen up a bit though with use. My 16s are still a bit of a fight but nothing crazy.

The 14s toe piece I think works in the regular way step in for skiing and pull up through the clicks for touring? No idea how it locks out the rotation though?

The climbing bar engagement has been mod'ed slightly on the 14 so it's nowhere as stiff to release as that on the 16, so using a pole is fine.

The underside of the toe locking lever on the 14 is tapered to mate up with a pyramid shaped piece on the base plate so if the toe is rotated when the locking lever is raised it automatically centres the toe before locking it.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
the bindings come with a detailed instruction booklet that the shop should have given you.
I'll be returning to the shop this morning and will ask for it, along with a full demo of how everything works.

spyderjon wrote:
Plus a decent shop would've offered to give you a complete run down on their use prior to you leaving the store
You'd think. I asked them to show me how to use the bindings. I was given a quick demo of clicking in and out but no mention was made of the lever nor of how to get the heel out of touring mode. That's what I get for being impatient and getting the bindings here in Cham instead of waiting till I returned to the UK for you to do them Embarassed

Last night I was speaking to the friend of another sH here, he's had the same issue but bought his bindings from a different shop here in Chamonix, which mounted the bindings for him and provided neither the instruction booklet nor any kind of demo. I think the problem in Chamonix is that these shops assume you know what you're doing if you're buying this kind of equipment. That said, the onus is also on the customer to make it clear if information/explanation is needed, though.

Thanks all for the help!
snow report
I recently bought AT bindings (took the skis, got back skis+bindings) and there was no box, manual, any documentation at all. Sort of sucked but also - like you say - I think the shops just assume you know your onions.

Glad the vid helped - sorry it wasn't the right model - I did assume they'd be similar (and not opposite #eek) snowHead
snow report
Our Bad, however more often than not we do offer a run down or explination during the sale, before the customer has purchased, it makes more sense this way, features are important when choosing the binding, we rarely sell anything without quizzing the customer first. I guess in this case it was more the familiarity with ZeroG that lead us to think she'd be back if she had any issues. Not an excuse, we are usless and clearly not a decent shop! Complacancy is the work of the devil! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CH2O, Laughing you just outed yourself! All good, I returned and got the info this noob needed.
snow report
@Zero_G, hope you helped yourself to some of his beer too wink
snow report
@spyderjon, do you still have Beasts in stock?
ski holidays
@Robsaan, yep. Got 14's & 16's. Also hoping to have Radical 2's mid/end Feb.
latest report
@spyderjon, Whats the price for the 14 & 16?
latest report
Robsaan wrote:
@spyderjon, Whats the price for the 14 & 16?

Drop me an email to jon at thepisteoffice.com & I'll get back to you. I need to know the underfoot width of your skis (so I quote you for the correct brake width) and whether it's supply only, conventional mount or mounted with Quiver Killer inserts etc. Plus whether you'd be collecting or if you need 'em shipping (& to where)?
snow conditions
Here's a new one for everybody wearing beasts with inserts.
I have had problems with the forward/backward movement of the heal piece when remounting on different skis.
The first instance was due to not perfectly aligning the screws with the inserts which is difficult especially on the rear two screws. This caused the movement to stick and on this occasion I thought I had fully clicked in with the pins and the top clamps engaged only to get spilled after a couple of turns. The forward movement having been only partially achieved. OK, operator error but something to look out for, I now toe kick and heal kick every time as a precaution but also now double check for perfect screw alignment. During this period of problem solving I became suspicious of something else that I thought might be causing a problem.
On one particular outing, midday I found I was having great difficulty clicking in on the heal and on closer inspection saw that the whole heal mechanism had traveled froward to such an extent that there was no way I would ever get it to engage. Simple solution, screw back the adjustment to fit the boot. But why had this happened? My suspicion centres around the base plate and the size adjusting nut that is visible on the underside. Is there anyway that this could get jammed by dirt or something thus creating a false stop from which the boot setting is then made which after a knock could release causing the heal piece to travel forward beyond the initial setting?
snow report
@Super Steezy, not had any problems with mine apart from the QK screws not being able to be tightened as much as I'd like, they keep burring, think they've perhaps softened due to the grinding process. @Spyderjon, going to sort for me though. Only other issue is it's really tough prising the walk mode heel piece up when it flops down and you stand on it by mistake when putting them on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy