Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The continuing journey, new video added CFe May 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Well I've been offered lots of hints and tips over the last summer season, and have had plenty of help from rob@rar in particular so it's only fair that I post some footage.

I've tried to do this properly so there is some music (hope you like my choices), and I've tried to join the sections in the correct way (I'm new to this video editing and not the expert that fC is so you'll have to forgive the less pro. finish). I've also kept it to around 11 mins as I think it's wrong to expect anyone to want to watch much longer than that.

There is some from the start of the week, then a couple of short steeper sections, and I finish with some from Wednesday when I think I did my best skiing (it was snowing, so apologies for the smudges on the camera!!). Most of it isn't on the steep slopes, but I think I look more relaxed, constant and with higher speed and less 'gorilla like' than previously. I know all the footage is from behind and not so close (I am a bit paranoid about having someone close behind me, even my camera man!), but I am still pleased with the overall look of the skiing. For starters I think that my stance is a little wide and sometimes I still stem a little, but I do think it's best I have ever skied Very Happy The Minimums are also zooming around from time to time.

https://vimeo.com/87465599

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-05-14 19:45; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking better.

Next thing to work on is to smooth your turns so you don't rush them. If you look at the video you'll see you make a really quick turn, then a bit of a straight line across the slope until you make another quick turn. Stop doing that wink Be more patient with your skis, allow them to turn you rather than you turn them quite quickly. Counting your way around the turn can help: one, pause, two, pause, three, pause, etc. Try to get to get to at least three or four and always be turning smoothly. To do this you might want to think about standing a bit more cleanly on your outside ski at the start of each turn. At the moment you push your skis sideways a bit too much, but that's definitely getting much better than it was. Keep working on "tap, stand".

Conditions look good. Hope you had a nice holiday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done for posting (again!) MM.

I hope nobody was shouting dispiriting and rude things at you this time. This looks loads more composed than last time. Bit zig zaggy like Rob says. If anything I think you look better when being 'tested'. i.e. on the steeper bits, when it counts, you look at your best (I thought so anyway). When it's easier, without so much penalty for mistake, maybe a little old bad habit just creeping in.

*applause*
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, thanks Very Happy Yes, you are right, I kept looking at the turn shape when I was picking the footage, but I couldn't find any where I was doing more C shaped turns Embarassed and you are quite right I don't think I was muttering "tap, stand" either.

I think I didn't give myself time to ski alone and actually practice technique which I had been doing at a slower speed inside. When I ski as part of a family group in the outdoor environment it is all about staying with everyone and going where they do and arriving not too far behind. I think if I had done some skiing by myself I might have done some technique practice. As it was I was actually having fun this time, so maybe I can be forgiven if I say that I was actually smiling? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Pieholeo, Very Happy

Quote:

I hope nobody was shouting dispiriting and rude things at you this time.

On no more than just the rare odd occasion was any criticism offered which I think was very restrained. Mostly I just got on with what I was doing which was nice. I was very happy with a sort of pendulum action that I got going towards the end of the footage, I could feel the front of the skis engaging and was trying to steer the skis around. Did you see the near miss at 4 mins 30 secs?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you're doing brilliantly. Fun is more important than technique by a factor of millions. Skiing alone perfectly, vs. hooting around with loved ones a bit shoddily? No contest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Keep working on "tap, stand".

Oooh! What does this mean please?

Thanks for posting this vid Megamum. You and I have very similar issues with our skiing (although you are clearly waaaaay more competent). I've been working really hard on my turn shape, and although I now finish my turns much better, I look at my vids, and I also see too much sharpness in my turns, although I feel that I am skiing in a much more confident and relaxed manner, I'm obviously still forcing the turn. Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fenfilly, yes, I am still forcing the turn, it is my current thing to work on, because if I don't force them around as quickly I'll get the C shape rather than a < shape. As rob@rar, knows I can just about get it right when I am concentrating indoors.

"Tap, stand" is a phrase that rob@rar, has come up with to try and help me with my timing, it's quick and easy for me to remember (except I was having so much fun that I didn't Blush ). Basically I should be doing a 'tap' (decent pole plant) then stand on the outside side (really commit to standing on it as early as I can) and then and only then I let the turn happen. When it does I should then steer the leg and attached foot around with the turn to really engage the front of the ski and feel it pull me around the turn. When I get it right it's brilliant and stops me pushing the heels out. I need to take a close look at my videos to see if I'm still shoving the heels around or not, I know I shouldn't do so and if I get the 'tap, stand' right I don't.

However, don't try and do the same thing as it is quite possible that you might need something completely different to help you, but if you nip over to HH and do a course with him I'm sure rob@rar, will be able to come up with something that would specifically help you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
I think you're doing brilliantly. Fun is more important than technique by a factor of millions. Skiing alone perfectly, vs. hooting around with loved ones a bit shoddily? No contest.

+1

Much more fluid and composed than previous videos.

You can tell the cameraman his face doesn't need to point in the same direction as his skis though wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Looking alright...nice, consistent turns. I reckon FC's progress has given you some competition wink
If you want to engage the front of your skis, you need to get hips forward - hands up n forward from your waist will help and really press the front of your boots.
Time for more dynamism... change it up a bit... NO turns, long turns, short turns, hop turns and get your body moving.
You'll have even more fun - guaranteed!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I reckon FC's video editing skills has given you some competition

FIFY

ALQ, Am I that obvious Blush Embarassed wink

I am determined to get indoor sessions in again this summer - I think they really helped this year. I think I have made a big leap forward and now I need to capitalise on that. Incidentally I did have a lot of success with the chopped up snow when I hit it at a certain point - we had a cold mountain top and a warm bottom. At a certain height the snow got chopped up, but wasn't yet slushy. I attacked that faster and more determined than I had ever done before (I recalled watching a video that some had posted some months back), and tried to not turn the skis across the hill quite as much and it really worked well.

Quote:

You can tell the cameraman his face doesn't need to point in the same direction as his skis though

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, yup Laughing Laughing
Good stuff... crud separates the beginners from the intermidiots IMHO.
I reckon if you keep up with indoor sessions this summer, relax and become more dynamic, by next season you'll out-ski franzClammer in the crud ... he'll be begging you for mercy Laughing
'Faster, determined, dynamic' should be your motto for this year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

we had a cold mountain top and a warm bottom

that extra pair of long johns made all the difference.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice skiing Megamum Very Happy

Much more fluid and relaxed than a few of your other videos. You are definitely improving! Keep it up!
ski holidays
You've all been very kind thank you for taking the time to have a look. Very Happy

I have actually discovered some footage in the sun!! However, you are spared until Sunday evening Laughing I've bust my this week's Vimeo upload limit and am too tight fisted to pay the subs given how little I use it. However, the footage isn't bad, it is taken from closer behind me, and there is some of me skiing around some very small soft snow bumps which I found interesting to watch - they make me turn where I might not otherwise do so. I've taken a critical look at it and I still need to work on angulation (upper body away from the hill), I'm still not carving in easy situations when I could be (still a bit of a rooster tail), and there is still an odd stem creeping in (often on the first turn of a run which is a little odd). However, I'm def. going faster! I can upload it on Sunday evening when the limit for the week resets. I've found 7 more minutes, but I think that will be it, I've produced the video and its all ready to load so I'm at the straight forward bit. You will also be able to see how cheeky my kids can be when they want to Laughing. I'll bump the thread when it's there.
snow report
Megamum, Bravissimo Young Lady!!! Very Happy
For me the most obvious difference is that your skiing is FLOWING a lot more, your turns are now linked much more smoothly. Indicating that you are relaxed and enjoying the feeling of skiing the slope rather than individual turns. Therefore have more time to feel what's happening below the waist (not a lot in my case wink )

Re: the video. Well done Mr Cam Platform Smile
Good edit, whilst skiing I'd try listening to some music in earphones to help with timing, perhaps some soft rock ballads or something. I swear by it, IMHO music is definitely an overlooked tool Madeye-Smiley
Reaaaaally looking forward to the next vid instalment. Madeye-Smiley You'll soon be getting requests off ALQ NO MJ !!! NehNeh

With regards skiing in a group....... Be the leader! play follow me and have fun with it, even hold a little Family ski-off.
As ALQ suggests, vary it as much as poss in order to feel at home on your planks in any situ.
Rob may correct me but,
As well as the Tap-Stand-Turn, I'd suggest using the "Stork Drill". I know that PamW will agree on it's effectiveness. It will transform your skiing IMHO. Although only if you're ready (I have padded shorts Blush )

FWIW: I was completely unaware how bad my stem was until I saw my Tignes footage. I was sooo disappointed with myself, but it paid off, I knew what I had to work on.

Well done...roll on Sunday data allowance snowHead
Any news on the Family Bash Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum, well done you are skiing really well, all that effort has certainly paid off. videoing is such a good idea something we've not done for ages but think we should, I'd like to see just how cr@p I am so I can attempt to put it right Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Young Lady!

Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

franzClammer, I think there is also some more flowing skiing on the next video - it's only on an easy slope, but I think it is much more flowing in places. FWIW having looked at it, what I will post my thoughts on is that my stem seems cured when I concentrate on it i.e. am getting the weight onto the outside ski early). In more tricky situations, such as navigating around the mounds in the snow it re-surfaces. Then it seems that I suddenly become aware of it and can stop it to order. You might find the same thing.

Somehow we both have to teach our bodies/legs to continue to do something subconsciously whilst we are out-thinking something else - in my case the mounds. In a simple situation (there is an easy bit with what I think are some lovely flowing curves on the next video) I am skiing down it with not a stem to be seen. However, clearly it is something we can both solve with a little effort which is a good thing to work on for next year over the summer.

FWIW I haven't got any footage, but I am pretty good on one leg for each turn - can't link them yet though - I saw you had a bash at doing so and very nearly got it right Toofy Grin I then watched the toe of your ski lift off the ground and knew you'd lost it Laughing .

Haven't seen anything regarding a FBash yet - which is a pity as I don't know whether to take off the winter tyres or not.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 26-02-14 14:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
feefee, Very Happy

It is amazing how much you become aware of once you can see yourself. With the raw evidence you are no longer conned by the rose tinted image you imagine of yourself (or at least I was). Once you get the realisation of what you are doing it is such an key to fixing it it's untrue!!
snow conditions
[quote="Megamum"]
Quote:

Young Lady!

Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
As a matter of interest it does look incredibly busy( and somewhat manic) on those slopes. Is that standard for the area or was this a weekend?
ski holidays
p.kini, that was half-term week! You should have seen some of the lift queues that I haven't posted footage of! Shocked
snow report
p.kini, BUSY! You should see the 3 Valleys at half term Shocked
snow conditions
Well done (especially the cameraman) avoiding the crazy straight- liners!
ski holidays
FraserP, don't forget it's all comparative! Laughing
latest report
Tip: Lift your hands up; don't leave them down by your side. To give an idea of where they should be, you should be able to see them in your peripheral vision at all times.
snow report
ben76, I have away had issues with my hands - I have only recently started to do anything with them Embarassed . rob@rar has taught me to pole plant (I am often remembering to), but I have to watch the timing of it. According to my cameraman I have a tendency to lead with the arm that is about to make the pole plant whilst I anticipate doing do and apparently it doesn't do my shoulders any good. So if I try to remember to only plant when I need to the arms go down. I keep trying to do that nice flick, flick, 'walk the poles down the slope' thing, but I have to think about it, and then something else goes to pot (like my legs! Laughing ). I think I'm at the stage of being able to everything separately when I concentrate, it's just gluing it all together which is taking a little more practice. However, several folks have mentioned hands so I'll try to remember them the next time I'm in the snowdome. Thank you for taking a look and for the tip Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, If you do take franzClammer's tip about music, then let me know; i have the perfect song in mind Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I keep trying to do that nice flick, flick, 'walk the poles down the slope' thing ...
Ah, sounds like you would benefit from the double-tap pole plant drill Happy
latest report
Quote:

the double-tap pole plant drill

any video of that?
ski holidays
pam w, I've not got any. It's deceptively simple - rather than tap the snow once with your pole when you pole plant, you tap it twice. Trick is to make the two taps so close together that it doesn't disturb your timing. Really good for arm carriage discipline and timing more generally.
snow report
rob@rar, you'll have to show me that one at some point Very Happy . I am going to get to HH again this summer and will also get the CFe so I should get plenty of time to practise. I was remembering the plant, but had it described to me that I was anticipating it that much that I seemed to be over-rotating my upper body on the side of the leading arm - I was apparently reaching forward for the next one the moment I had done the turn and it seemed too early to do so within the process. However, although it's still not ideal I am far happier with how I look on the video this time. I think I've made a lot of progress and there is a lot to build on now. However, I want to consolidate it this summer whilst it is still fresh in my mind. I could have done with another week away - I think I was doing really well, but had to come home - those 6 numbers didn't come up Sad .

Ah, you've described it as I typed.
snow conditions
OK, will give that a go. I guess it stops you making too much of a meal of it.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Yes. It's quite tricky. Set it as a task for a chap I was teaching last month and he though I was winding him up as clearly it was an impossible task Happy He stuck with it and it went a long way towards fixing his "elaborate" pole plant.
snow conditions
Megamum, really nice video, you look a lot more relaxed than in previous videos, glad to hear you were enjoying yourself as well, the snow looks pretty nice Smile
snow report
lynseyf, thank you. Yes, I had as much fun as I think I've had skiing so far. The snow was great as long as we kept above the melt line, below that, obviously, it was prone to slushy mounds, large sludgy crystals and leg breaking slush etc. However, I am well practised in spring skiing at VT so I am fairly well versed in finding a way through the slush in my own fashion.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
Yes. It's quite tricky. Set it as a task for a chap I was teaching last month and he though I was winding him up as clearly it was an impossible task Happy He stuck with it and it went a long way towards fixing his "elaborate" pole plant.

It worked pretty well for me too.
latest report
OK, it's Sunday and as promised Vimeo reset it's weekly limit so I can post the second video. Watch that small stem come and go. I think I've worked out when it appears - it's when I'm 'thinking'. It's almost as though it gives me a fraction of a second before I commit to doing something. You will see when I am negotiating the minor mounds at the end that I start off fine, then I get thinking and it appears, then I make it disappear again:

https://vimeo.com/87986414

N.B. It's damned ironic that I spent all the other week doing the thing that often worries me danger wise i.e. skiing, yet yesterday I knackered my left hand by having an argument with a scalding bowl of exploding soup from a microwave, and this morning I had an argument with a fence post and fell off a horse that was only walking and have entirely wrecked my right hand (agony still even after a large ibuprofen, several hours and strapping it up), wrenched my right arm and grazed my right knee. Given that I was bucked off a 17HH horse 3 weeks ago can someone please explain why I am still more worried about skiing Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum, ouchy! No explanation. But that's lovely fluid skiing. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy