Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Course

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!!!
So I've decided to do a ski instructor course for my GAP Year. But I don't want to do as a one off thing. I want to come back to being an instructor over the holidays and after University.
I've been leaning towards doing a BASI qualification as it seems best for me. BUT I was wondering what people think is best for future employment? I want to work towards ISIA but before that i obviously want to be an instructor with either BASI L2/Landes 1/CASI etc. Does anyone have any ideas to what will help me get emplyoment over the world the best?
Also, what is everyones opinion on taking Anwarter and Landes 1? Anyone every done it and could offer any advice at all? It's starting to look like a toss up between BASI and Anwarter now! Thanks! x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure why you recvd zero response.
Just my opinion, but unless you have strong foreign language skills, I'd stick to the English based system
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
English system produces top skiers?. I'd go for Austrian or Canadian
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hannah_Stan, see this thread and in particular this post: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108678&start=600#2498614
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.siaaustria.com/ski-instructor-qualifications/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try alltracks whistler , great course with level 2 casi at the end
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, SIA is a massively inflated price... BUT does offer a German course as part of the package.

An Awaerter course will typically cost between €400 - €500 and the accommodation about the same to cover around 10 days full board.
I used Salzburg (SBSSV http://www.sbssv.at/en/ ).
Each county in Austria has it's own education system. Each with slightly different rules but with the same national/international respected qualifications.

Salzburg require you to have 'sponsorship' from a ski school before you start the course. You must ask a ski school to say that they will recruit you after the course. This is also because it is part of the training should you fail a particular element.

Once advantage is that you can teach that first season whether or not you have passed all elements of the Anwaerter tests (I don't know how many). But if you fail German language or even a skiing element you can still instruct for that season and then have a retest at the end of that season or the start of the next. The idea is that the ski school help you and you gain experience.

Top-ups have to be done every 3 years which is a quick check that all is in order!

Personally, I advise to give BASI a wide berth. IMO it is a VERY expensive route to gain a 'local' qualification. IE. Basi 2 enables you to teach on snow... but it isn't 'officially' recognised outside of Britain... (this is also the same as Anwaerter and LS1... but there are plenty of places to teach).

There is also no need for shadowing hours in the Austrian system. (not always a positive thing as you can get great skiers who are rubbish teachers!)

I think I am going to do my LS1 next season - I doubt I will pass as my German is rubbish... but just the course will be awesome for my skiing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax,
So you don't have to shadow but the ski school has to say it will recruit you. Can't see a ski school offering positions to UK residents can you? Does this mean you have to be resident in Austria to get into the Austrian ski teaching system?

Another, possibility is New Zealand
http://www.snowskool.com/ski-instructor-courses/new-zealand/10-weeks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, they do take you on even if normally resident in the UK, the prospective instructors just need to commit for the whole season. I've had several friends and youngsters I have worked with taken on by ski schools in the Salzburg area because I endorsed them. Recommendations/references from coaches, instructors seem to carry quite a lot of weight. In the Tirol you can just apply, you do not need any ski school sponsorship to do the course. I think each of the provinces has their own acceptance criteria, but they all work to pretty well the same syllabus.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue,
So you have to do a full season i.e. take a year out and then go on a circa 10 day training course with test at the end to get your Anwärter qualification?

http://www.snowsports.at/de/kursprogramm/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have posted elsewhere on snowheads about my stepson. He did BASI 2 in NZ last year after he left 6th form and is now teaching in an English speaking ski school in Hakuba Japan which is definitely a good route to get teaching experience-as it is probably one of the easier countries to get a job with that level qualification and nil experience. He reckons with that behind him he can look at trying to teach in Canada next season and then look at BASI 3.
He's having an amazing time, teaching lots, having in house training and his accommodation and food is sorted too, so it's not been as daunting as doing it all with the foreign language issues thrown in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perty, the language isn't as daunting but the basi 3 price tag is!... I thinnk you need more than 5 modules... all at £390 or more each not including transport and accommodation. Then 200 hours.

DB, Nope a whole season is not a requirement... even the job isn't a requirement.

As Sue wrote, in Land Salzburg anyone who does not reside in Austria must have a note from a ski school to say that they will be working for them. Other counties have other rules.
I meant that it must be more of an assumption that you will go to work and be assessed, trained or whatever by your ski school if you want to progress.
A few of the teachers at Radstadt have had days out with the boss to prepare for LS2.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax,

I know from people who have done the course in New Zealand that they spend circa 10 weeks learning before taking a test.

...... but on this course
http://www.snowsports.at/de/kursprogramm/?kursdetail=198
it appears you just need to be able to do parallell turns and within circa 10 days they train you and you then take the Anwärter test at the end.

Is this right or do you need more training for the Austrian test than the circa 10 days they provide?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, they have to be prepared to work a whole season AFTER the anwärter - whether they do or not depends on local negotionations - a coupe of people I know just worked the high season weeks, others did the November course then worked from December right through to the end of the season. None of the non-residents (mostly Brits) I've recommended have taught before their Anwärter qualification unless they already had L1/L2 and a lot of verified teaching hours. I can remember 3 off the top of my head who already had considerable dry slope experience teaching beginners who did the Anwärter during their winter season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, The Anwaerter is literally the basic qualification to introduce people to skiing.
So it stops at J-turns and basic carving.

I have a blog of the one I did...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1775896&highlight=anwaerter+blog#1775896

You have to be able to do short turns, and carve.
snow report
Wow, thanks so much everyone!!! I've gone ahead and booked on the SIA anwarter one Very Happy I cant wait!!!! maybe see some of you on the slopes! Very Happy
ski holidays
Our eldest did her BASI L1 and 2 Snowboard with Peak Leaders in Morzine last season. It was a 10 week course, she had a ball and made some great friends. More skiers than boarders training during her 10 week run, she's currently teaching in Verbier. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy