Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The chalet experience

Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia, I don't eat fruit, and vegetables are limited to potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, onions, peppers and tomatoey sauce. I was always much healthier growing up than my sister who ate almost everything, and I still seem to be fine now?
v1cky24, We've stayed in catered chalets run by small companies and never had any problem with food, our dietary habits have always been coped with - my daughter is even worse, she doesn't eat any fruit or veg, not even potatoes, and all she drinks is water (oh, and she's 17...). Bigger places aren't as good, I regularly go to a chalet hotel and there isn't really any compromise there; usually I like the main and either the starter or pudding, which is fine by me cos I don't need a 3 course meal every night. If I'm really struggling they will usually do ice cream as dessert for me.
My son is currently running a 16 person chalet and one week they had a vegetarian, a lactose intolerant, a gluten free, and kids meals, and they were expected to cater to everyone, in a normal domestic kitchen.
So mostly catered chalets should be ok!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
v1cky24,

Every chalet will deal with dietary requirements so don't worry about this too much.

In terms of the whole organising thing there is a huge difference between someone refusing to eat things at the table when the hosts have few options to fix this, or telling the company in plenty of time so that they can order the necessary ingredients to plan for the week.

So, my advice would be:

- Choose a smaller, more bespoke company rather than one of the big ones as they are much more flexible - this doesn't necessarily need to be more expensive and there are plenty of small budget companies around. Mostly they are flexible about portions sizes etc too so their staff will be able to serve him more meat or pots instead of the veg

- A few weeks before you travel send them through full details of what he doesn't eat with plenty of explanation. It's massively helpful if this includes what he will eat ie "he eats all meats, served with potatoes and is happy just to have this with no sauce or veg in the evenings for main meals. He is happy to have the same meat twice in the week. He doesn't eat fruit desserts or starters with veg or salad but will happily have a piece of cheese instead. He likes meat, cheese, soup, pate and anything bread based for starters. He likes chocolate, toffee, spongy type puddings as long as they don't contain fruit or raisins"

- Ask the company in advance if you can keep some stuff in the fridge for him so that he can make himself a sandwich if he is still hungry after dinner - this is unlikely to be a problem if it is pre-arranged in advance and the staff will be able to tell you which part of the fridge to use.

- Keep a copy of the e-mail and give it to the chalet hosts on arrival, letting them know that they can come and ask you if they have any questions - ask them to make sure that there is plenty of bread on the table.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting thread, I guess he will never be one of those brave explorers. I guess he didn't come from a family with 12 children. Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm. Send him on a cookery course?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've booked with Skiworld and according to their blurb they will cook for different dietary restrictions, though I have yet to see it in action. Having seen the menus it sounds like a nightmare for a chalet host to be expected to cope with so many variations and as someone who has problems with dairy and gluten I'm very worried about how they will cope - I think I'll be very unpopular, so if any previous chalet hosts want to give me any tips for staying on the right side of them I'd appreciate it please!
For your OH though, as others have said, asking for a gluten-free diet would pretty much get him meat/potatoes for meals and he could just leave the rest, but there seem to be lots of sauces and even the potatoes are regularly cooked au gratin. Self-catering (or maybe even giving someone a free holiday between the rest of you if they agree to cook/shop?) or a hotel with an extensive menu does sound more sensible.
It sounds like a medical issue - a number of disorders have real issues with food textures and they genuinely can't eat them. Hope you find something that suits.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I help at an old folks club and today we had birthday cake...including one gluten free, one lactose free, and 4 diabetics. Took a bit of research but I found a cake recipe they could all have . Nothing is impossible with forewarning.
It concerns me that the OP and family can't enjoy going out to dinner with friends or at a restaurant as readily as most of the rest of us, it's almost disabling..speaking as a foodie. Everyone has likes and dislikes but it just sounds too extreme. As for textures, I don't like avocado ..too slimy...😛 but if I came to dinner with you I would politely eat it.
As for a teenager who only drinks water...well done her; that's easy at least.. It won't last!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24 wrote:
Having done my first European ski trip last week I'm exploring further trip options for the future.

The notion of a chalet full of my mates & their families sounds quite appealing to me. But. My OH is the pickiest, fussiest eater alive. Well maybe a slight exaggeration but still. He pretty much eats only plain meat and potatoes. Absolutely no veg, and at a push will stretch to cheese and bread or a plain margarita pizza. I've seen him practically cry when his pizza had actual tomato slices on and olive garnish.

What's the craic with a chalet holiday? Is it a no go with my fussy hubby? Do you have a set menu for the week? Would he be able to fix himself something?

My OH's brothers are the same. We are in Meribel at the moment, and the boys are just ordering pizza every night. Rest of us are eating the excellent food done by the chalet guys.

Another option is to stack up on frozen pizza - easy enough to borrow the oven for 15 minutes every evening once the staff have finished using it to make dinner.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:

They aren't strange eating habits either IMHO, and in any event are no-ones elses business - why would any other guest care?

...and what's with all teh advice on getting him to change his eating habits? Give the guy a break! how hard is it to live on meat and potatoes?

They are strange eating habits. I suspect he thinks it's strange but clearly has no control over it, his wife thinks it's strange and the reason for all the advice is that it clearly affects their life negatively and advice has been sought. The OP stated they can't even go out for a meal with friends to a Chinese etc. How is that normal? And what's more it is badly affecting what skiing holiday they have. I'm sure the OP wants to relax over her holiday and his odd dietary habits are hindering that from happening.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there is a hotel in Belle Plagne with chalet apartments. you could self cater or eat in the hotel they have rachlette and a steak option as well as ala carte options. not sure how costs compare to a chalet. there are apartments sleeping 12 and it is ski in ski out
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

so if any previous chalet hosts want to give me any tips for staying on the right side of them I'd appreciate it please!

The most helpful thing by far is to explain clearly in advance what you can/can't eat (eg specify can you tolerate small amounts like the dairy in cooking chocolate etc or not) and what you expect (eg do you want afternoon tea etc)

- take along a couple of products to help if you have space in your luggage eg a small bag of gluten free flour etc

Have fun!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jirac18 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

They aren't strange eating habits either IMHO, and in any event are no-ones elses business - why would any other guest care?

...and what's with all teh advice on getting him to change his eating habits? Give the guy a break! how hard is it to live on meat and potatoes?

They are strange eating habits. I suspect he thinks it's strange but clearly has no control over it, his wife thinks it's strange and the reason for all the advice is that it clearly affects their life negatively and advice has been sought. The OP stated they can't even go out for a meal with friends to a Chinese etc. How is that normal? And what's more it is badly affecting what skiing holiday they have. I'm sure the OP wants to relax over her holiday and his odd dietary habits are hindering that from happening.

The OP sought advice on whether a chalet would be suitable, not on how to "cure" her husband.

Nothing stopping them having a chinese with friends - he can get a plat of chips, friends would understand.

It needn't affect their ski holiday at all with a few judicious phone calls to see whether a chalet could cater for meat and potatoes for 1 every night
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, you must be determined to ignore everything the OP has said. SHE THINKS ITS WEIRD TOO. Maybe it needn't affect their holiday but it does and yes it does seemingly stop them having meals out coz THE OP SAID SO!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems a chalet holiday *may* be possible, if a little awkward. I'd hope the chalet would be occupied by family and friends who would be understanding because they all know what he is like. I didn't know if it would be a complete no go to ask if a modified meal could be prepared etc

It can be a issue at times, although on the other hand it is one of the reasons why I have only skied in North America prior to this trip, which is certainly no hardship believe me Wink

With a bit of planning usually we work around it and friends and family are mostly understanding etc I do find it irritating at times yes, particularly when I fancy an Indian but I honestly don't think it can be helped. It's almost phobic tbh, to the extreme.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I honestly don't think it can be helped. It's almost phobic tbh, to the extreme.

It can always be helped: he wasn't born like it....
Good luck with your holiday anyway! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18 wrote:
holidayloverxx, you must be determined to ignore everything the OP has said. SHE THINKS ITS WEIRD TOO. Maybe it needn't affect their holiday but it does and yes it does seemingly stop them having meals out coz THE OP SAID SO!!!

Whatever rolling eyes . Why do you feel the need to shout? Does that normally work for you?
latest report
Blimey you think you got problems! I am coeliac and have no choice with my bl@@dy diet. !!

Catered chalets we have been to have been really accommodating with my Coeliac diet . i let them know well in advance and take my own bread and cereal , but I do remember staff in one chalet saying they are happy to cater for diets due to medical reasons but they get REALLY p###ed off if its just someone being a fussy eater.............I can understand that!

If I eat gluten I get really ill and it is an autoimmune diease that can lead to cancer and other stuff if you aren't strict with your diet, so I have to be very very careful. Its not through choice let me tell you! I wouldn't want my ski holiday to be ruined cos I was given anything containing gluten. But its a risk I have to take or I'd never go on holiday. Having said that , ironically I never have been a fussy eater....I would be fine on " I'm a Celebrity" snails..horsemeat...whitchety grubs ....bring it on! As long as they're not coated in a crispy crumb!

I think the Op's OH has a psychological issue that should be addressed, or his life is going to become difficult in so many ways IMHO . However going back to chalet meals, it must be easy enough to just eat the meat and carbs served up at dinner and leave the rest. Take some snacks/ staples from home like I do and you will be fine.
ski holidays
We just came back from a chalet trip in Tignes. There was one person who was gluten intolerant who was catered for fine. Each evening menu was a variation of meat and vegetables, with potatoes always being available. On evenings when duck or lamb were on the menu, some people asked if they could have chicken instead, and the host was happy to cater for that.

I think he'll be fine. The menu is always made available in advance, so if needed, you could either eat out on nights which are impossible, or ask the host to leave off the veg, gravy or anything else which may cause issues.

I had an eating disorder for years (still affected by it) as a result of constantly cutting body fat for sport reasons (not eating carbs, 30g of protein with every meal, having to eat every 2.5 hours on the dot) and was able to work from hotels for long stretches as long as I had a personal food stash.

He just needs to recognise that he has the disorder, plan ahead and most importantly, not get irate at others due to his condition. It may even help him...

I'd say go for, it will be good for him.
ski holidays
Quote:

He is a strapping 6ft5inch man.

it all becomes clear Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I worked six seasons for chalet companies and can assure you that you get the most bizarre food requests. 95% of the time you get them in advance and can plan around it. It doesn't worry the other guests as long as they get what they want. Okay, typically most requests were gluten-free, vegetarian etc, but some where just a matter of taste. A good chalet host will work their way round it even if it's a pain. If you can't define it in advance though (ie just being 'fussy' doesn't cut it), then it might be tricky
ski holidays
May I recommend NickSki in La Tania? Nick and Joey are beyond helpful as I have have a fairly fussy (small) boy and they made every effort to help him get something he would eat. For the less fussy, Joey's cooking is brilliant! I think as it's their own chalet, they give much more of the personal touch than I've had in bigger type of operations with formulaic menus
snow report
v1cky24, you know he needs therapy. I don't think being an enabler , which is what you are being by even starting this thread (sorry, I state this with some professional understanding) helps long term. Let him fight his own battles re the the meat/spud thing. It's in his head. End of. Sounds harsh, but is true.
I recall a family who stayed in the chalet next door to mine (as in 10 ft away), same company) The hosts were told that the 15 year old "only ate XYZ" and no veg, and could not eat foot that touched other food on the plate. Parents danced attendance on this child, child had parent wrapped around little finger. Surprise surprise, half way through week, as hosts complied with mad food requirements, child decided he did like carrots but still didn't like fact that sausage had touched carrot on his plate. Objectively it's daft and such behaviour should just be ignored rather than pandered to.

I fully expect to be shot down in flames for being so bold as to write the above. But I know it's common sense. Even if the chalet staff are able put a spud and a lump of meat in the back of the oven, does that mean that they should be required to? At what point does one's personal quirks and irrational requirements justify seeking special treatment or inconveniencing others..(am sure answers will follow in abundance....). I for one would be mortified and would probably rather go hungry or sneak out to a supermarket...for a packet of ham, some cheese and bread.
ski holidays
We've just returned from a fabulous chalet holiday last week (SkiBeat) & my OH is the fussiest eater ever Sad They told us to speak to the chef when we got there who was more that happy to make him his limited menu-he had omlettes, plain sausages & steak hache with ice cream for dessert, they kept asking if there was anything else he wanted but he was happy with what he got. I have coeliac disease so had to have a gluten free diet & they were superb at catering for that-including my own mini gf cake every afternoon NehNeh The food was incredible, we were in a group of 10 & we all said we'd never had such amazing food-wish I was back there now Sad
snow report
Perty, Of course the chalet staff should not be "required "to put a lump of meat in the back of the oven. If they can then great, if they can't then go somewhere else or eat out on spit roast chicken etc. I would fully expect such a request to be met only if it did not inconvenience others, but it's hard to see how it would. Also, the fact that "you" would feel mortified and would rather go hungry etc isn't really relevant to the OP or her OH.

But I agree on the "enabler" point (hence my point earleir about beign able to go for a Chinese meal with friends - he can make his own call on whether/what to eat or not), apart from it would be nice if the OP could have a nice holiday without it being an issue. I think Pam W made a similar point earlier.

I'm speaking as someone who has a husband who irrationally (to me) refuses on the spur of the moment to go for dinner at a friend's house, or go to other previously agreed to social events. I just go without him and tell folk he's not coming, but I do try to tell people in advance if he declares early enough to avoid the host goigng to trouble and expense. I don't make excuses for him, and to be fair neither does he - he can't explain either. Friends keep inviting him because they know it's nothing to do with them and mostly he does turn up. Please don't suggest he needs therapy, it's really not an issue for him...although it p*sses me off big time I have learned to live with it.
ski holidays
Friends used to keep asking my ex-husband to dinner even after he had fallen asleep at their dinner tables, which he used to do with alarming frequency. But then, when he was actually awake, he was the absolute life and soul of any party! wink Bless. On the matter of food intolerances, I once made him eat some cauliflower soup I'd made, on the grounds that his so-called intolerance of cauliflower was just a silly fad: he spent the night hovering just under the ceiling, groaning, and I did a feel a little bit guilty. Toofy Grin
snow report
Pedantica, Laughing
ski holidays
Pedantica, Laughing We had friends for dinner once when one couple were stayine in our room and another couple in the spare room; we were going to sleep on the sofa/living room floor. It took a good while to notice, late in the evening, that MrHL was a) missing and b) asleep under the dining room table!
latest report
holidayloverxx, brilliant! Laughing Laughing
latest report
There are plenty of self catering chalets and you could look into that as a possibility.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Of course the chalet staff should not be "required "to put a lump of meat in the back of the oven.

Of course they should - you've paid for a nice holiday and the chalet hosts should (within the bounds of common sense) cater for pre-arranged dietary requirements. That's part of their job!
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, I'm talking about agreeing that the "putting the lump of meat in the back of the oven" is possible before any holiday is booked, so no-one has paid for a nice holiday at that point, it's just an enquiry about whether something is possible. If it is genuinely not possible for a chalet to cater for the need then they would say so then not get the booking..or they would get the booking on the agreement that the client will make alternative eating arrangements, so there is no question of anyone being "required" to do anything. I agree that once the holiday is paid for then certainly the staff are required to deliver what has been booked...either the meat in the oven or no food to be served to that particular client. It's entlirely up to the client what they want to ask for and agree with any chalet.
latest report
holidayloverxx, if dietary requirements, be they genuine (eg veggie, coeliac etc.) or fussy eater, are notified to a TO in advance then the staff have to cater to it, even if it makes life difficult. Hence I always used to sit and talk to any of my guests that had dietary requirements as rather than taking it at face value (eg dairy free, vegetarian) and preparing meals as such, I often found that, for example with the vegetarians some would eat chicken and a lot would eat fish, so rather than making two separate dishes some days, I did fish with the same sauce as I was serving with the meat that night.
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
holidayloverxx, if dietary requirements, be they genuine (eg veggie, coeliac etc.) or fussy eater, are notified to a TO in advance then the staff have to cater to it, even if it makes life difficult. Hence I always used to sit and talk to any of my guests that had dietary requirements as rather than taking it at face value (eg dairy free, vegetarian) and preparing meals as such, I often found that, for example with the vegetarians some would eat chicken and a lot would eat fish, so rather than making two separate dishes some days, I did fish with the same sauce as I was serving with the meat that night.

Why on earth do people lie about being 'vegetarian'? If you eat chicken or fish you're not vegetarian. You're an omnivore or pescatarian at best.
snow report
Just ask the chalet company before you book
snow report
Sitter wrote:

Yes,I am agreeing with you. what I am saying though that if someone calls before booking to check what is possible, and the chalet says no the request is not possible then they won't get the booking so no-one is under any "requirement" to do anything. Once it's booked then of course they have to cater for it...but maybe as best they can in a limited kitchen. If I had such a strong requirement I would certainly check in advance, before booking, rather then booking then calling a few days before with my requirements just in case it was too difficult to cater for.
snow report
Thanks again guys and gals.

So I think it would be better to book directly rather than through a TO and email to check it would be possible for them to cater for my 'fussy' husband. Just to add, he isn't keen on the idea of this type of holiday at all, he would be MUCH happier himself if we ate out each night and he could get steak and chips etc. However, I am not willing to go away again without my little princess and a chalet holiday would be perfect. I am trying to demonstrate to him that it might not be so bad, especially if we carefully selected the chalet and filled it full of friends for good company on an evening etc.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Sitter wrote:

Yes,I am agreeing with you. what I am saying though that if someone calls before booking to check what is possible, and the chalet says no the request is not possible then they won't get the booking so no-one is under any "requirement" to do anything. Once it's booked then of course they have to cater for it...but maybe as best they can in a limited kitchen. If I had such a strong requirement I would certainly check in advance, before booking, rather then booking then calling a few days before with my requirements just in case it was too difficult to cater for.

Not sure about smaller companies (I know some don't accept vegans), but I very much doubt that the majority of chalet companies/TO's will turn down bookings with dietary requirements, some even use it as a selling point. Also depends on the staff taking the booking who may or may not have knowledge of the chalets in question, and more than likely won't have a clue about the kitchens/facilities to cater for said requirements.
Still get plenty turning up not having notified the company in advance of any requirements. One in particular sticks in mind. 24 Muslims who had booked out the whole chalet, with the second day's menu supposed to be pork, thankfully had enough duck in the freezer to switch days around as it was a bank holiday so shops closed.
latest report
I'm a fussy eater and like your hubby not keen on veg!

I've stayed in a few chalets without any problem. Typically a meal will be meat + potatoes plus other veg and there may be a sauce with the meat.

I certainly don't expect to be given special treatment and a different meal to be cooked for me but I may ask the hosts to leave something off my plate as I don't see the point in food waste.

Ask your chalet company for a sample of the weeks menu and see what your husband says. If there is one night he wouldn't like then simply go out that evening - it sounds as if he likes to dine out in any event.

I see my fussy eating as my problem not the chalet hosts and I'm sure your hubby feels the same. I can't imagine any great issues TBH.
snow conditions
The Chalet Experience.

You book a Holiday to a Foreign Country.

Arrive at your destination. Share a Chalet with strangers you may
or may not like from the country you came from.

You are fed familiar food from your home country.

Shocked
snow report
How about something Like a Mark Warner chalet. I haven't been with them for about 10 years but I seem to remember a choice of food rather than a set menu. Or maybe Club Med where there is a huge buffet? ( personally I'd rather eat my own hair than go club med again - Norovirus and pugilistic russians spoiled a reasonable holiday) but to each their own...
snow report
I can't see this working. I've been in quite a few chalets where two vegetarians caused them issues, unless you get lucky with a decent chef you might well struggle. Plus some guests might find the weird dietary requirement a bit, erm, weird.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy