Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trip one down... Bansko.. Next stop Andorra!

Poster: A snowHead
So after 'learning' to ski the basics at the snowdome we headed out to Bansko and just returned last night!

The week was.... well a rollercoaster of emotions... I would say for someone who 'plays it safe'... found skiing scarier than I found it at the snowdome... yes stupid comment I know but I somehow thought because I picked it up okay there I would be fine... no!

My fear of heights crept in and the chair lifts were a challenge as well as being faced with a 'blue' which had a red section which seemed to be vertical to me (of course it wasn't) and went on forever! To being taken out not once, not twice but three times by people flying a few metres each time haha!... putting my knee out..... falling over a number of times... you get the picture... there were tears!!
However this has been one of the most amazing holidays I have ever been on... I have laughed so much... the sense of achievement when I finally learnt to comfortably parallel ski and not freak out every time my skis 'slid' (the way they are supposed to go when you are going at any speed!).... & I didn't snow plough for 2 whole runs!! was incredible!

I felt the whole trip was a baptism of fire....... way harder than I expected but I thoroughly enjoyed it and even with my swollen knee I was so disappointed to leave and not be sticking my ski boots on this morning Confused

So I am already planning my trip for next year and if I didn't have a 3 week trip around Asia booked for April I would be back this season... I am converted!!

I found Bansko quite challenging as I thought it was great for complete beginner with the nursery slopes and ski road but for someone who wanted to progress a tad further it felt like quite a big jump up to the next run... not just because of the steepness of the run but because of the number of people using that next run up as well meaning it was extremely congested, getting icy quickly and you were forever avoiding people or being knocked over in my case! Obviously the higher up the mountain the slightly quieter it is but then I had to feel ok to do those steeper runs which had parts of reds in them at the top. The ski road although good on paper was so busy after 11am it was carnage so not all that good to practise on.

So for our next resort I am thinking of Andorra as I have read it has lots of cruisy blues... ( Bansko had 3 blues which were the easiest but all followed on from one another hence very busy!)... Andorra looks like It connects with other valleys so has much more scope to try different blues not all at the same time as everyone else.... Looks like a much bigger ski area so again I am hoping this will mean we wont all be swarming down the runs like ants trying to avoid each other!?

I have also heard good things about the ski school so wanted to get some private lessons in maybe.

Have many people been to Andorra and if so are the blues manageable and not more like reds? I appreciate some will be but I just felt there wasn't much choice in Bansko... I could however be making excuses for my crap skiing!

Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
been to Andorra many times highly recommend either soldeu or arinsal.The blue runs are really blue and the red runs are dark blue at best.both have excellent ski schools and reasonably priced for après ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you'll be fine in andorra
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
did you take lessons in Bulgaria? If not lessons are certainly a good idea; will give you much more confidence. The slopes in Bulgaria sound horribly crowded - being knocked over once is very bad luck, being knocked over several times awful. Sympathies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Em1986, that resort sounds absolutely horrendous in terms of crowds/accidents Shocked. But great that you had such a fantastic time!

Grandvalira in Andorra will be perfect match for you. Plenty of easy stuff, plenty of scope for progression, and you'll be able to move between all the sectors.

For a base to stay, Soldeu is a functional, perhaps somewhat bland, ski village rather than a pretty historical settlement, though nothing like the commercial horror that is Pas de la Casa - don't stay there - nor the architectural monstrosities that can be found in certain other European resorts. Its (rather modern) buildings are stone/wood, and it has a fun vibe with lively (and very British) apres-ski and nightlife, and some of the bars/hotels have nice sun terraces overlooking the slopes.

The next village down, El Tarter, accesses exactly the same easy beginner-intermediate blues as Soldeu, which you should spend your first day or so on, but has hardly any restaurants/bars outside of the hotels so is probably not what you're looking for in a ski holiday - in fact I'd be surprised if any British TOs go there.

And Canillo is more family-oriented with quiet but nice restaurants and café-bars, but it's less ideal for you in terms of the pistes it serves (ie your daily connections out to and home from the rest of the resort). If Canillo's your thing, you're best off getting the free bus to Soldeu for the first few days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes we had lessons booked but unfortunately my sister and our partners were all different abilities ... Same group but they were all bored as had a weeks skiing in France on us and so the boys wanted to go off and ski the mountain whether they could or not?!
So my sister and I spent the week together, she taught me to parallel ski and built my confidence whilst I was watching my group snowplough down steep blues / reds on day 3 so I don't think I missed much!?

That said I 100% want to do lessons on Andorra but perhaps a few private ones as I noticed how different everyone in the group were ability wise!

It was awfully busy! I think the fact there were just a couple of blue runs that were manageable for an advanced beginner & was the only way down for everyone anyway meant it bottle necked! I spent most my time watching my back! I think the worst thing is being scared of being knocked over the entire time which detracts from enjoying the skiing... Very distracting!!

But yes I loved skiing! I just think I could have progressed much further had I had more room and not been knocked over numerous times!

Soldeu was where I was thinking so that sounds great... Maybe somewhere such as hotel Piolets near the lifts... ( realised how little time I spent awake in our hotel anyway in an entire week!) -- up for skiing at 7am and asleep by 9/10 pm... Boring I know wink

But I still just can't wait to get skiing again Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The English ski school in Andorra is excellent, I think it's one of the best in Europe for both group and private lessons so definitely get yourself booked in and enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks! Only 4.5 months to go!!
We are staying at the sport village hotel.... has anyone stayed there before?

Had a trip to the snowdome in the summer and I was suprised at how much I picked up in Bansko .... With 2 hours at the snowdome I was doing quicker turns closer together and picking up much more speed and generally much more confident... I was skiing completely differently to what I was doing in Bansko so I must have learnt something in my week.... Razz

A little hesitant about this trip as my OH is a dare devil and we are going along this season despite trying to get people to come with us.. we have agreed to go our seperate ways if he wants to do more challenging runs than I feel comfortable with but I know he will try and talk me into running before I can walk.

I can do it .. its just confidence and I plan to build some this trip!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were inSoldeu 2 years ago and are staying at the Piolets in the first week of Jan. a great resort and I am sure you will love it there is a mix of different runs so you won't get bored!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I know he will try and talk me into running before I can walk.

tell him to get lost. Evil or Very Mad It's not "just confidence" you also need a range of different skills safely to tackle more difficult runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bansko doesn't sound like a pleasant experience at all, I'm amazed you loved it so much despite all that. Hopefully you can find some quieter pistes in Andorra to build your confidence.

Personally I'd spend the week having lessons and let the OH go off and do tougher runs at his own pace. You don't want to end up rowing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have never been to Bansko, but if it is anything like Borovets I wouldn't go. Borovets had a blue/green run crossing through the middle of their black, and it was very narrow, so my girlfriend who is a very nervous skiier absolutely hated it.

I have been to Andorra four times now, Pas de la Casa three times and El Tartar once. ET was when I was younger so can't really comment on it. Pas De La Casa I have been the last two years though, and I find it great there. The big problem is there is only one slope that connects the ski area to the resort, which can become quite crowded and difficult to ski in the latter part of the day. Soledeu is situated more in the middle of the Grandvalira though, so seems like more options getting back.
Pas isn't as very pretty place, but if your looking for a good time, and cheap apres ski then it is a good resort, with a very decent ski area. Soledeu seems a lot more family friendly, and if your not really looking for nightlife as well as skiing then it seems like the better resort, as it is defiantly better connected. I went ski school here twice when I was younger and found it great, and my girlfriend went the first year and preferred it to the Bulgarian ski school! You'll have a great time! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Em1986, I would strongly advise on Soldeu as your base ,it's in the centre of the ski area going you options each day on which way to go, also you can download on the gondola at the end of the day if you don't fancy the bunfight which can happen.
The instruction is excellent, there are many UK or English speaking instructors which helps in the early days of leaning to slide properly.
In the village at night there are some decent restaurants and bars, some lively some not so, I'm considering going again this year to help bring on my 10 yr old son.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of the incidents you see or were involved in are people who don't know or have never been taught slope rules.

Many schools teach this, but a lot don't and it doesn't matter where u go.

Stopping mid run, not staying at side of runs or piste etc. All can cause incidents

I have been going to Bansko since 2006 , several times each season , both summer and winter , and can say 99% of incidents are due to above, or a lot of crashes caused by self taught people who THOINK they know better than instructors or pros

Went to France and had rude skiers and lifties , paykng over the odds to get abused ...NO THANKS

Also depending on when you went to how busy it can be , but that goes for all resorts in the world
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In 2013 we did Bansko in January, with all the hassles you talk of (my partners 11 yr old daughter was run over the top of by some English idiot that obviously hadn't skied before. Lucky for him she got up). Went to Grandvalira 2 months later and were gutted we'd spent the money on Bansko, Andorra is so far above Bansko in everyway that you will have an absolute ball. We'll be back for 3rd time in January. Enjoy
snow conditions
Thanks for all of your posts... 2 days until we fly and I am starting to feel a tad nervous and excited!
I just hope I am better than I was last year and have to practice my best ' get lost' voice for my other half who is like an excited horse trying to bolt already>>>>!!!! rolling eyes rolling eyes

There will be rows but I can only try and limit the number.... plus I have free spa access which may help at end of the day Laughing
But I am excited to have a different experience, some snow and some space to ski Laughing
ski holidays
Good luck getting to the resort Laughing
Soldeu has had 190cm of snow in the last 7 days!!
ski holidays
are you going to have lessons this time? Standards of tuition in Andorra sound very high.
snow report
@pam w, see here OP has made a new thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117656
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy