Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau - next February

Poster: A snowHead
Booked up for next half term for a week in Ellmau. First time to Austria. Who has been to this resort and what is it like. Staying at SportHotel in Ellmau.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been.

I was 5.

I can't remember much, and it's probably changed a lot in 19 years.

However I do remember loving every minute of the ski school, staying a long walk from the lifts, and wondering why my parents booked a low Austrian resort very late in the season (later than February!).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First resort I ever went to but well over twenty years ago so memory is a bit vague. Such at is I remember it as a nice village, fairly small and quiet. Quite a lot of Dutch there. There were a few bars, the only one I can name is the Memory, probably because it was the busiest. The nursery slope was in the village and well that's as much as I can recall except for me being pretty rubbish. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went there a few years ago & had a great time - love the Skiwelt. The village is a bit "spread out" & if I remember correctly the Spothotel is close to the nursery slopes but the other end of the village to the funicular. Great ski school & good access to the whole of the Skiwelt. Lovely atmosphere in the village & good après - whatever yor taste wink Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been there several times. Went with the children when they were aged between about 7 and 15. Liked it a lot. Good for beginners and early intermediates around the village. Nice runs to progress onto. Liked the run from the top of the Astberg down to Going - turn right almost as soon as you set off from the Astberg. Nice Blue run. Nice cafe half way down. Also nice red run to progress to from the top of the Astberg around the 'back' towards the funicular and finishing back in the town. Lots of good runs up the top of the funicular including the runs down to Ellmau village again.
Liked the Kaiserbad leisure centre, especially the 'fun pool' and water slides.

In general, we liked it and if that's a bit ambiguous, it was good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
went last year and would go back in a minute. i love the ski welt and it is a great area. i enjoyed leaving ellmau in the morning and skiing over to westendorf and then back to going and finish the day back down the main run into ellmau under the funicular and into fables for apres. ellmau is really good for families and the alm bar is massive and kids are allowed for their apres which i thought was brilliant. prices are very reasonable as well 3.50 euros for a large beer. the sporthotel is fantastic as well and you won't have many complaints staying there
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alangibson73, you're not making any mistakes by going there. SkiWelt is the biggest connected ski area in Austria. Plenty to go round!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I ask advice on the best lift to park at for ellmau's slopes? It will be in peak season and coming from st johann it direction. I was wondering about the funicular.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whichever lift you park at, I think you have to use the funicular to get into the main area of slopes. The other lifts only serve the small (although nice and quiet) area between Ellmau and Going.

The only two high-capacity lifts out of Ellmau are the funicular and a fast 4-seater halfway between Ellmau and Going.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have since booked to go back on feb 8th 2015. my boys will be with us for their first winter holiday in the snow. Can't wait
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've also booked to go to Ellmau on the 8th with our boys. Snow down to the valley today too!!!! .. although just a dusting. Really looking forward to it.

http://ellmau.panomax.at/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what age are your boys. mine are 12 and 14 but sadly are boarders. where r u staying
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Drammeister, coming from the St. Johann end I usually start my day in Going (really just so I can feel I've done the whole circuit) - I think this must be the 4-seater mentioned by denfinella. But you can start just as well at the funicular. The T-bars on the Ellmau beginners' slopes aren't any real help in getting into the main SkiWelt pistes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The connection between Going and Ellmau isn't as good as the other connections within the SkiWelt, so driving an extra 5 minutes to the funicular is worthwhile. Another reason for doing this is that the run back to Going includes a long flat section and a steepsih red, so if your legs are tired at the end of the day Ellmau is a better option.

The Sporthotel is a good choice. 10 years ago a group of us were staying in Ellmau in lower cost hotels, but one couple stayed at the Sporthotel. They were late joining us for a drink every night as their seven course meal took twice as long as ours!

For more info about the area check out http://www.austriaskiguide.com/ You can download the guide for free, or pick it up (again for free) from most of the tourist offices in the area. Also, for an interactive map see http://skimap.skiwelt.at/?lang=en

Good news for this year is that the Aualm chair lift (which often had queues at peak times)has been upgraded from a 4 to an 8 seater.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mikeelsa, my two boys are 3 and 6. I'm not sure if the 3 year old will start ski school this year or whether i'll just potter round the nursery slopes with him. My eldest is already booked in school all week. wink

We're have a couple of apartments at Apartmenthaus Bambi which up the hill next to the Hausbergbahn and above the funicular. Seams to be a good spot so we have the option of skiing down to Ellmau or to the funicular at the start of the day. Where are you staying?
snow report
We are in a catered chalet in town that we stayed in before. Basic but comfy and cosy. Cant wait, i love ellmau
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy