Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Santa Caterina long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Santa Caterina
Domain: area pass includes Bormio and Livigno

Date: 23 Jan - 27 Jan 2014
Our holiday: I love Santa Cat - I've skied there 10 times now and I've even been there to walk in the autumn! I'm an intermediate skier who is quite happy at that level thanks! I did this trip on my own (I'm 45 & female)
Basics : No major tour operators go here anymore. I booked my hotel/skipass/ski hire package through http://www.activitybreaks.com/ I could have done it myself but to be honest I got a good package that I doubt I could have beat on my own. I flew Stansted to Bergamo with Ryanair. I then travelled to Santa Cat by public transport. Bus from the airport to Bergamo train station. Train to Lecco then change for a train to Tirano. Bus from Tirano to Bormio and then another bus to Santa Cat. The whole return journey from the airport to Santa Cat was 37.30 euros. No tourist bus from the airport or car hire can beat that!
Lift system : 40km pistes 2 chairs, 1 gondola, 4 buttons. Not linked to any other resort but Bormio accessible by bus (20mins) as is Livigno (1 hr plus)
The terrain : Mostly reds, a couple of blacks
The snow : Italy is rocking for snow at the moment. It snowed twice while I was out there and currently has 200cm/119cm with more promised this weekend.
Off-piste : Can't comment I don't do off-piste
The resort : Beautiful, charming, Italian chocolate box village
Food : All mountain cafes were good. A large cheese and ham panino with a cappuccino varied from 5 euros at village level to 7.20 euros at the highest cafe. The highest cafe is called Sunny Valley and is a fairly new addition to the resort. It had lots of atmosphere.
Accommodation : Stayed at the Hotel Nordik a family run hotel. Half board. Very friendly no problems.
Costs: I find this resort relatively cheap. My extras in the hotel were a bottle of wine, bottle of water, 1 large beer and a packed lunch and that cost me 26 euros.
Conclusion: It was the first time I'd been to Santa Cat for 9 years. I was nervous it would have changed but it hadn't. It is as lovely as always and well worth the effort to get there.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well done on making some laps on the cheap..how long did the transfer take you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sounds absolutely delightful! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HeidiAmsterdam, From Bergamo airport it took 6h 15 as all the buses and trains coordinated nicely. Coming back it was a bit longer as I had a 90 minute wait between buses! I did consider a taxi to gain an extra hour in bed but that would have cost an extra 30 euros! I reckon if you drove, it would take about 3.5 hours. To be honest I didn't fancy driving in Italy on my own!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BUMP

dbaskls, How long do you reckon it takes from Milan?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Santa Caterina too, it's where I first learned to ski.

ALQ, it's been almost twenty years, but I have memories of long coach transfers from Milan, 4 hours or so?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

How long do you reckon it takes from Milan?

Around 4 hours by car, according to Google Maps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
4 hours sounds about right. I've only done it from Bergamo and that's about 3.5 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
I love Santa Caterina too, it's where I first learned to ski.
Very Happy Very Happy I learned to ski in Santa Cat in 1995!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy