Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - what's to do ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Greetings,

Following my recent post requesting some tips for luxury accomodation, the newly crowned Missus Guvnor has been performing some sneaky credit card exploits and has booked us in to the Trofana Royal in Ischgl for a week of R+R in late January.

Question now is - What's the mountain like ? Looks alright on t'Internet, and have seen generally glowing reviews, but then don't all Tourist Office sites say that ?! Should I be pumping iron down the gym to prepare my body for a week of high altitude exploits, or should I take it easy and chill out cruising the slopes with a hangover and the good lady in tow ? Opinions please....what's not to miss, any secrets you're prepared to share, any recommended guides etc etc

with respect

Guvnor
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Opinions please

A few tips for you:

One of my favourites is the red run down Velliltal to the Vellickbahn chairlift (#7 on the piste map), with option of continuing to the bottom of the valley. Always seems to be delightfully empty even when the rest of the resort is busy. Another good one is the black run (#4) off the top of Pardatschgrat to the middle station on the Fimbabahn or Silvrettabahn.

Avoid the runs back to resort in late afternoon – too many out of control beginners with no room to turn. Either take the gondola down, or spend an extra half hour at the top with a drink watching the sun go down, until the crowds subside – can recommend the Pardatschgrat restaurant for this.

The ski school level of organisation is variable, but the quality of the tuition is excellent. We had a complete beginner in the party, who they got to competent red run standard by the end of one week. Those in the party who had off piste guiding said it was awesome.

And remember to take lots and lots of cash, as credit cards are not widely accepted, not even for paying for ski passes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the good old days Very Happy

I worked here in 1985

This is a great place allthough somewhat modernised since them it was always up to date for its time.

We used to ski the runs with the locals to town in the mornings, may get around 7-8 runs in (plenty of vertical). This was great as everyone else was uptop.

Most off the Off-Pise has now gone due to lift expansion into these areas. There still some good places in Samnaum later in the spring under the Cable Car Very Happy

As for Apres Ski it was good back them and a recent visit visit in 2002 its only got bigger & better.

Enjoy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the snow is gliding fairly well then take the skidoo trip up the valley past all the lifts to Heidelberger Hutte and have a traditional Austrain lunch (in Switzerland). It's a long slog back though if skis aren't sliding well on the path. Book via your rep or at the bottom of the lift at Gampenalp.

Have lunch in Samnaum, skiing down from Palinkopf and back to Alp Trida on the double decker cable car.

I agree with the post above, ski black 4, the last stretch is very steep. Similarly ski red 7 all the way to the bottom, again the 2nd section is very steep. Find powder on the top part of black 4, and on the other marked 'itineries' if it's snowed recently. The ski school off piste was unbeatable, we walked up Viznitzkopf from Alp Trida and down the next valley (a few years ago now).

Have lunch at Paznanuner Taja, before 1.00pm if you want a quiet lunch, after if you want to listen to the DJ. The chicken on the spit is good.

Find out how fast you can ski down a 100m stretch, just above Idalp on the blues towards Velillscharte. On this run there's also a beginners and an advanced park, sort of big dippers. Do the GS or the American GS, again above Idalp, but on the run from Idjoch.

Ski down to Ischgl during the day (as above), avoid it after about 3.30pm unless you really are happy in crowds on poor snow conditions, on a narrow, fast piste. If you have any doubts then go down the first day by gondola and watch from above.

Finally walk around the town. It's very interesting, as there are so many working farms within the town.

Fitness - it's so easy to ski all day in Ischgl, so you need stamina. There are very few difficult areas unless you seek them out, and you and the good lady can split for a short while while she takes the steep run down allowing you to cruise down and meet at the bottom of the run if your fitness isn't up to it. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy