Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Test technique post mortem

Poster: A snowHead
JamesHJ wrote:
I have read elsewhere that it was about the same standard as achieving gold in the ESF school holiday races, which no longer seems to be true.

What I've read is that if you are not getting a consistent gold in the Chamois you shouldn't think about TT. Slightly different. Gold standard in the ESF/FFS races is pretty quick.

The thing about the ESF races is anyone from snowheads can roll up, pay the entry fee and have a go and have an idea of how they will do. Courses vary a lot, if you get the chance try at Chamrousse which has a seriously steep Chamois course and seriously long Fleche... about twice as long as that set at Val d'Isere for example.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ahh gotchya... good luck with the training and future attempts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that nearly everyone there was a (French) club skier, and I would have thought that the majority would have been through the ESF system. It also sounds like there could be a variation between resorts, as the ESF piste at Villard de Lans is not steep at all. I am also curious about the comparison with the Chamois and will ask around at some point.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JamesHJ, Which slope is she training on at VdL ? The first pitch of the slope they use for FIS slaloms is reasonably steep but it means you have to use the gondola to get back up.

Where will you be during the summer ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
JamesHJ, Which slope is she training on at VdL ? The first pitch of the slope they use for FIS slaloms is reasonably steep but it means you have to use the gondola to get back up.

Where will you be during the summer ?

The VSM train on the top part of the Chamois run, so they use the Cote 2000 cabin. Maybe the first wee bit is as steep as the ADH stad, but it is not as long. She did the 'Stage test technique' at ADH again to try to get used to slalom on the steeps, which is again highly recommended.

As for the rest of the summer, the plan was to have some fun! I have definitely got the bug (and did my first mini giant slalom this week!) and was considering the snoworks race carve course in June.

I say the plan 'was' to have some fun as she just said the doctor suspects a ruptured finger ligament from whacking a pole at some point : (
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually, perhaps the most important thing learned this season is... not to rush. She had not skied a competition since 1989 and only got her first carving skis last year, having barely skied in-between. Also having a baby apparently tends to coincide with a significant loss of shape!

We started late in December after I signed her up* for the ESF stage and the TT in January. We had a few weeks of absolutely epic training and she managed to at least compete with the others. Then came a chance conversation with an ESF chap and joining the VSM. Again a few months of epic training, finding of creches, buying of equipment etc and finally the TT again. Interestingly enough, the same people were there from January and no longer seemed to be such good skiers, nor in some cases much competition...

Was it the most successful program? No. And also not the most cost effective (I estimate >> €4500). Was it good fun? Absolutely the best time we have had together for years! Seeing the wife happy and fit after a few years as a stupidly overqualified house wife was worth every penny and every minute away from the office. Not to mention realising that she looks hot in a race suit Very Happy

*At some point she was bemoaning the fact of having had a pushy skiing father, and ending up with a pushy skiing husband!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JamesHJ wrote:
I am also curious about the comparison with the Chamois and will ask around at some point.

I think it is a convenient marker, everyone does the Fleche/Chamois competitions so when someone says "I want to be be an instructor" and they are bronze level in the Chamois say, well they have a serious amount of training to do just to get near the TT standard whereas if they are scoring golds they are in the right area but are probably already a local ski racer. Ask your missus to do one (I don't think there are any left this season) and see how she does.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 4-04-14 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brilliant JamesHJ, please do keep us posted.

Quick ?: I had thought that TT was 24% of FIS 0, is it 20% of uncalibrated openers time?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Absolutely the best time we have had together for years! Seeing the wife happy and fit after a few years as a stupidly overqualified house wife was worth every penny and every minute away from the office. Not to mention realising that she looks hot in a race suit

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abd, pass time is +20% and 25 for women off the openers time, doesn't go back to FIS 0 like the ET
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, so what sort of FIS rating are the openers?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think, but don't know for sure that they would be similar in FIS to the ET openers, the guy in the red cat suit from James photo I think is a French ET opener.. 50ish pointers if you know what that means.

If I get a moment I will put up some video of GS openers at a Eurotest so you can see what 50 points looks like
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, thanks. I've seen some vid of James C skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who is James C ? Do you mean James B the brit ET opener or JamesHJ ??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, I mean James B
latest report
okay wont bother with video then, have you skied with him? very very talented and gives you a clear idea of just how good the openers are for the TT and ET..
snow report
No, not yet Smile
snow conditions
Just for fun, here is a photo from her last race!

This was at the 'Pinocchio sugli sci' an FIS international event.
snow report
JamesHJ, I'm guessing she would be old enough to do Masters races. There is a French circuit of them at weekends through the winter that could give her a bit more practice at race day stuff, there are other VSM racers that do them.
latest report
rjs wrote:
JamesHJ, I'm guessing she would be old enough to do Masters races. There is a French circuit of them at weekends through the winter that could give her a bit more practice at race day stuff, there are other VSM racers that do them.

That was the plan this winter- we had a few problems at crucial moments though like ill babies etc. All part and parcel of life for those old enough to take part in the masters circuit! The VSM are indeed really good at taking part in everything from masters to FIS level stuff in the local area.
ski holidays
Quote:

Absolutely the best time we have had together for years! Seeing the wife happy and fit after a few years as a stupidly overqualified house wife was worth every penny and every minute away from the office.

That alone would mark it as a huge success in my book. Well done to all involved.
snow report
rjs wrote:
JamesHJ, I'm guessing she would be old enough to do Masters races

Delicately put by the way wink We now have children who are older than she was (13) in that photo!
snow report
JamesHJ, Thanks for the report. My tupence worth Confused

1. Gold standard in Fleche/Chamoix races is a starting point but not good enough to pass TT/ET. Look at the results which state 'Temp de Base', I think you need to be within 10% of this time to have a realistic chance. How the openers 'race' in Fleche/Chamoix races makes a big difference too. Generally in Tignes we will have 3/4 openers and they are all 'racing' each other. Nobody wants to get to the bottom of the course with the worse time Puzzled

2. The people who pass TT/ET 'leave everything on the hill' there is no holding back.

3. Get a FFS licence and do the local races. Lots of opportunities to race most weekends, including racing at Alp D. The FFS licence also give v good insurance cover for racing/training.

Hopefully will see you in Tignes in the summer but be prepared to get beat by Emma's/Phil's kids Puzzled They are so so quick rolling eyes

p.s Respect to your wife for having a go Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 5-04-14 6:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
JamesHJ, VSM will probably be doing summer and autumn training on the glaciers, I see them in Tignes when I'm there in November.
latest report
rjs wrote:
JamesHJ, VSM will probably be doing summer and autumn training on the glaciers, I see them in Tignes when I'm there in November.

Bob said yesterday that the club start in September. Both Emptaz-Colombs have a summer business teaching boat skippering!
snow report
JamesHJ,

Not really sure where you live but L2A will also be open in the summer if you fancy some training.
snow report
My son at Alpe d'Huez TT 4 april - 2 clean runs with 4 / 5 seconds off (Given that he's only had 7 days slalom trg in total under his belt I'm proud of him) and he's seriously bitten by the racing bug!

latest report
Aaaah The advantage of youth wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have so enjoyed reading all of this...Argh - the passion of speed!!!!
latest report
JamesHJ, We have a TT group this pre season, plan is to get on snow in Sept and then early november (saas fee). Have run july camps in the past but so much time passes between camps its less productive.

For anyone interested in the SL or GS exams we have a free fitness program. Feel free to pop us an email and we will send you one over.

Here our TT page: http://www.jjc-training.co.uk/Test_Technique.php
snow conditions
JamesHJ, the JJC boys know their onions... great camp..
snow conditions
@JamesHJ,

Hi, is your wife still training & considering the TT this season Puzzled
I really enjoyed your posts last season so please keep us updated.

Thanks
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
@JamesHJ,

Thanks

Funnily enough, I just waved her off in the car to Tignes! More to follow, this time it's serious! ; )
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@JamesHJ,

Thanks

Funnily enough, I just waved her off in the car to Tignes! More to follow, this time it's serious! ; )

Is she training with Podium?
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@JamesHJ,

Thanks

Is she training with Podium?

With a UK based company- I don't want to get into the game of live reporting during her course!

Needless to say, the standard of (racing) instruction from UK companies so far has been outstanding. She did a week of mixed SL/GS with Emma/Snoworks in the summer which was revolutionary. Both in terms of learning to have fun while skiing, and also in terms of technical detail. It was a pleasant reminder of the teaching ethos which seems to prevail in the UK, having been exposed to the way things are in France (I am mainly talking about the schools, not skiing here btw...).

She met the VSM coaches this morning who are also on a race camp- should be able to catch up later in the week with them also.

Anyway- probably the number one big change this year is abandoning the family for three weeks! A certain young lady with strong and voluble opinions is quite incompatible with a good nights sleep for skiing...
snow conditions
Hmm. Tignes closed for the whole day- 140-150 km/h winds it seems.
ski holidays
@JamesHJ,

Well good luck to her and hope she enjoys the training.

P.S.
the original pic from 1989 looks as though she is wearing Lange ZX boots wink
snow conditions
speed098 wrote:
@JamesHJ,
P.S.
the original pic from 1989 looks as though she is wearing Lange ZX boots wink

Yup- they are still kicking around in a cupboard somewhere. They were worn for years and years until the plastic broke near the buckles. We also have a vast collection of straight skis. The Atomics from the year when she was 2nd in the slalom at the nationals are going on the living room wall in our house soon!
latest report
p.s. I am BUSTED by the way!

Picture the scene, a ski course in Tignes, a pleasant evening in the hotel, perhaps drinks in hands etc....

participant 1:

"I think I know who your husband is...."

Wife (politely):

"Really, small world isn't it?"

participant 1:

"Yes, he is called James isn't he?"

Wife (puzzled):

"No..."

participant 1 (confused):

"But you live in Grenoble right?, and you ski with the VSM?"

Wife:

"Um..."

participant 1:

"He writes that thing on Snowheads"

Wife:

"What's snowheads????"

LOL!!
ski holidays
@JamesHJ,

Sounds like you may need speed skiing lessons very soon wink

P.S.
Still got my old Lange ZX as well absolutely cracking boot in their day snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy