Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will the Swiss Army achieve world domination....

Poster: A snowHead
....with this latest addition to its weapon of mass neutrality?

We are talking - of course - about the Swiss Army knife, which can now include a flash memory stick. This amusing report from The Enquirer.

Does the idea of the 'Swissbitch' appeal, and what ski-related application do you have for it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's another report from The Register, with a photo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have just showed it on BBC1. They also mentioned that there is now a "travel safe" Swiss Army knife - basically it doesn't have any blades in it...........not sure what it does have then?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Presumably other items of cutlery. Maybe a soup spoon. There was a recent report that Swiss Army knives (including knives this time) were still being sold in the duty-free area of Geneva Airport (can somebody confirm/deny this?)

Maybe the idea is that you buy one, and Security promptly confiscate it. Next time I'm in that airport I must ask Security for a view of their collection - probably the most impressive in the country.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can confirm this, I think they post it to you, although last year they were more concerned about my metal hairslide than a swiss army knife.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes they do the same at Zurich too, they also have my new Leatherman as I forgot it was in my rucksack from skiing earlier in the transfer day -DOH!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I couldn't find any at Geneva airport last week - not that there were many shops open on Sat evening, but Zurich duty free were still selling them at the end of January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given this excellent first-hand reportage (thanks !) I think it would be best if the Swiss Army posted its sales soldiers in the check-in queue, so that everyone can slip their new purchases into their hold baggage.

We must maintain this entertaining industry.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I prefer the exclusivity of the Swiss Navy knives, but it's the inconsistency associated with "security" that can be frustrating. It would frequently be the case that one airline would insist on "all electrical items must be carried in hold baggage". On checking in to a different airline for the next stage of the trip the requirement would be "all electrical items to be carried in hand baggage". Too late guys! These days some airlines insist on doling out useless plastic cutlery (whilst still providing wine in glass bottles) whilst others seem perfectly happy to continue using the metal variety.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was stopped recently from taking my boots through security - I'm not sure, but could they be Swiss Army Carvers?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan Craggs, I always think it's weird in the restaurants in the airport where they give you useless plastic knives and then wine in a glass! Or you can just pop to duty free and buy as many glass bottles as you like, all after the security checks. I'm sure the neck of a bottle or stem of a wine glass would be just as good as a knife to a terrorist.

...the most annoying thing is when you've stood for hours in the queue to be screened and the guy at the front is arguing with security staff about having things confiscated "....this is the third time you've taken my knife/gun/bomb" off me - wise up guys - if they took it off you once, they'll do it again next time!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I worked out why the Swiss chose to be a neutral country. I mean, can you imagine the scene in the late 1800s, the Swiss army commander orders his men to prepare to charge. They are about to go, when he yells "fix bayonettes". The army stop, and spend half an hour trying to find the bayonette on their knives, and half of them go into battle with fixed nail-files, shouting "surrender, or we'll give you a manicure"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In contrast, the corkscrew is a fearsome weapon. Its only drawback is that the assailant has to rotate on a horizontal axis.

More information in Jane's Swiss Weaponry.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, I didn't know Sam's mum was into Swiss Weaponry!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have seen a good picture of the Russian Army knife: 7 corkscrews, 4 beer bottle openers and nought else.
ski holidays
Cedric, that wouldn't go with the Russian Army utility belt would it?
snow conditions
Quote:

it's the inconsistency associated with "security" that can be frustrating.

Agreed - on a hand baggage only trip last week I lost an ancient pair of nail clippers. But on the same trip these had already been thro' 'security' in Kuwait, LHR T4 and Tokyo Narita before being nabbed in LHR T1. And the blade parts are all of 1 cm long and not sharp pointed. Not exactly dangerous.

No problem. I like good security. Didn't argue and the only hold up was because the guy insisted on going through everything else after he'd got what he wanted...... If the checker just needed a pair of clippers, he'll have discovered by now the spring's bust !! Cool

BTW while discussing plastic cutlery with the Cabin Crew, she said the US Airports give her a hard time about the hair pins she uses to fix her bun. Deadly weapons no doubt. Wink
latest report
Maybe there is another use for knives in airports Cool
snow report
Yes, a sort of swiss kebab, except that you spell it shwish kebab.
latest report
The security inconsistencies show you just how cosmetic the rules are. You can take bottles on - I'd rather face someone armed with a pair of tweezers than a broken bottle; you can take safety razors on - remove the blade, affix it to a bic pen and hey presto, a scalpel. I'm sure there's more.

Incidentally, did wonder about the swiss army knives at Zurich duty free. But then you can buy fondue sets, too. Long spiky fork, anyone?
snow report
Funily enough I understand that the Swiss neutrality came into being because the European armies always hired Swiss Mercenairies, apparently they were just to hard to beat in a battle so the Swiss agreed to be a neutral country, the only place their soldiers are allowed to serve outside of Switzerland,is the Vatican, again tied in to the same neutrality act.
snow report
I still don't quite understand what you plug this Swiss Army memory stick into - a computerised cuckoo clock?
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Funily enough I understand that the Swiss neutrality came into being because the European armies always hired Swiss Mercenairies, apparently they were just to hard to beat in a battle so the Swiss agreed to be a neutral country, the only place their soldiers are allowed to serve outside of Switzerland,is the Vatican, again tied in to the same neutrality act.

Not really, they realised they'd be overrun by the neighbours and opted out.

http://www.eda.admin.ch/sub_dipl/e/home/thema/intlaw/neutr.html
http://www.stacher.ch/swissopinion/OriginNeutrality.html
http://www.eda.admin.ch/singapore_emb/e/home/legaff/chess/neutr.html
snow report
Well yes and no, unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the book where I read about the neutrality and mercenaries stuff or I'd give more details, interestingly the Germans expressed the desire during WWII to pass troops through Switzerland, the Swiss replied to the effect of "We are a neutral country and we will defend our right to be a neutral country to the last man" at first Adolf was rather upset then someone pointed out the fact that the Swiss could call up almost every adult male in the country and that they all had weapons, did Adolf decide against passing through Switzerland .... damm right !
latest report
So Adolf was scared of a swiss army knife?
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I still don't quite understand what you plug this Swiss Army memory stick into - a computerised cuckoo clock?

Why? Aren't cuckoo clocks are of German origin?
snow conditions
Surprisingly for a neutral country Switzerland has always had a very well trained and equiped Army, now bearing this in mind and the fact that old Adolf was having a bad time with the French Resistance at the time who were in no way as well trained or equiped as the Swiss would have been, plus the natural defensive capabilities of the terrain and you may get an idea as to why he decided an alternative option was in order ! Oh and for those of you who joke about the Swiss navy http://www.swissnavy.ch/ yep it really does exist, even if they do only have very small patrol boats, I think on lake Konstanz/Bodensee and lake Geneva/Leman also I believe they patrol the Rhine during wartime as Switzerland has a fair sized commercial fleet, At one time (i'm not certain if it is still true) Switzerland was also belived to have the best airforce in Europe ! So good that the Israelies modeled their own airforce on it !

Airforce and Navy both come under the command of the Army

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 5-04-04 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Swiss neutrality - a combination of many years of fighting for territorial integrity (Napolean, Hapsburgs, Milanese, etc.) and many years of mercenary-ness. If you're on the cross-roads you'll be well walked over. Plus I'm sure that the fact that different regions of the country have diiferent external affiliations had some effect. The 1848 civil war probably helped to keep it, too.

In WWII the neutrality was in part protected from the fact that the Germans knew they needed to keep supply lines to/from Italy open and the Swiss could close them at a moments notice. As long as there were no trrop movements (didn't need to be as Austria was an easy route through the Alps), then they could be used to run other supplies through. That and the fact that the Swiss Germans were happy to sell arms (I think Schaffhausen was the only Swiss city bombed by the allies, but Oerlikon mjay have been, as well).

The allies got some use out of the country's neutrality through espianage and escaped servicemen.

Also, I think I read somewhere (though can't recall the figures, sso may be wrong) that despite the (justified) scandal, more Jewish and other people were saved by Swiss (if not the government) than were turned back.

Of course, being neutral doesn't necessarily amount to much as the Norwegians found out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf wrote:
Surprisingly for a neutral country Switzerland has always had a very well trained and equiped Army, now bearing this in mind and the fact that old Adolf was having a bad time with the French Resistance at the time who were in no way as well trained or equiped as the Swiss would have been, plus the natural defensive capabilities of the terrain and you may get an idea as to why he decided an alternative option was in order ! Oh and for those of you who joke about the Swiss navy http://www.swissnavy.ch/ yep it really does exist, even if they do only have very small patrol boats, I think on lake Konstanz/Bodensee

Indeed, they do. There could be some call for them on Lac Leman, too but I haven't seen any there.

The natural defensive terrain was what caused the retreat to the redoubt. If the Germans had invaded, they would have had the whole of the lowlands for pretty much no resistence. They would never had had the Alps, though.
snow conditions
I added a couple of bits of info to my earlier post after skanky quoted mine, sorry Embarassed
latest report
'Sokay. The air force may have been affected that they couldn't fly in a straight line for more than ten minutes at a time.

An addition to the cuckoo clock comment from the quote in the "Swiss Humour" thread from the Third Man...500 hundred years of brotherly love included a civil war (though only a couple of hundred people died in it), and much mercenaryness.
snow conditions
The first declaration of Swiss neutrality came in 1515 after their defeat at the battle of Marignano in Northern Italy. This battle in fact was considered a landmark event in the history of warfare as it marked the defeat of the invincible Swiss infantry by cavalry and artillery. The declaration was not related to mercenaries.

Swiss mercenaries were common before and after 1515, to an extent they were common across Europe at this time anyway. The practice lasted barely 200 years, until the Spanish war of the succession in fact, when Swiss mercanaries found themselves facing each other. The only further use of Swiss mercenaries was the Vatican Swiss Guard of course.

The civil war was 1847 not 1848, the latter date marks the new federal constitution and would codify neutrality but's not especially related to it.

Napolean wasn't born until the late 18th century so had little to do with events in Switzerland in 1515.
snow report
skanky, I do recall a friend of mine who's a Major in the Swiss army telling me that a few years ago the Swiss bought a bunch of new fighters from the US and that the US pilots who normally ferry them direct to the airbases took one look at where they'd have to land and decided that it was "Impossible" so ended up landing at places such as Basle airport ! The Swiss pilots duely got in the planes and flew them straight to their bases with no problems Cool
snow report
Quote:

The civil war was 1847 not 1848

Sorry, yes I knew it was 1847.

The point mentioning Napolean was to do with *continuing* neutrality. As was the mercenary idea - one tennet that I've heard raised by people using neutrality as a reason not to join the UN involved talking about Swiss troops dying abroad under foreign command - that must be a reference to the mercenaries.

However, I'll not disagree that defence was the original and main reason, particularly as your knowledge on this subject is far greater than mine (it's been a couple of years since I read around it). Very Happy

D G Orf - I can believe it, I was just being facetious (especially as Israel's a geographically small country, too).
ski holidays
skanky wrote:

However, I'll not disagree that defence was the original and main reason, particularly as your knowledge on this subject is far greater than mine (it's been a couple of years since I read around it). Very Happy

I'm not a particular expert, I know some European history as it pertains to Britain and I read up a little when we came to live here. I also read and learn stuff when we have guests and visit some of the landmarks.

Swiss history is compelling in some ways though, it's such an anomaly in modern Europe that it's interesting living here to try and understand how different it is to Germany and France where I've lived before.
snow conditions
It was working there for two years that got me interested, but as I wasn't actually living there, I really only dipped a toe in the subject - and that was two years ago. It's like anything, I know a little, get into a discussion and realise I know very little (plus ai very a very bad memory). It is a dangerous thing, as they say.

It is an intriguing subject though, and I enjoyed my time there an awful lot, which helped.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy