Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors... clever or pointless?

Poster: A snowHead
I came across an article about helmets with fighter pilot style visors and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I wear glasses so the idea of an integrated visor is appealing, but im not keen on the way they look and im not convinced they will keep the wind out. Any thoughts from current users?

http://www.snow-helmets.com/2014/01/07/visor-helmets-get-the-daft-punk-look
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh no the "H" word again!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear a Bolle with a visor.

Works a treat for me;

covers my glasses
keeps the wind out
comfortable
doesn't mist up
excellent visibility

The only down side is the fashion police.
snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to a few friends who have them, they are good if you need to wear glasses.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They're jolly handy if you need to disguise yourself as a Russian, apparently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
...Or as Daft Punk as the article suggests!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdan86, They fall into the category of something I think I'd find brilliant, but the thought of the fashion police scares me off. If you chase historical threads on the subject you will see that, as a specs wearer, I think they would be great.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies. Seems its a choice between practicality or being arrested by the fashion police. I think i'll give it a punt, can always pretend im in tron Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HMR do a good line in them too. My son has a US flag one with mirrored visor that looks very Top Gun. I rather fancied a Union Jack one with visor but was firmly told that I was too old and to get over my mid-life crisis. Ah the joy of teenagers! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they do one like a Star Wars stormtrooper, I'm wearing it ... sod the F-police.
Or .... where can I get one like The Stig's??
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tried one but it wasn't great in over-the-head powder. The "blower" tends to get up underneath the visor. It's also harder to switch lenses (and harder to carry the spare lens) for when the light changes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 to philwig
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

ALQ
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ALQ, If you want the stormtrooper look you need a white Ruroc - follow the link to the UK site and look at the first pic

http://www.ruroc.com/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, you beat me to it by seconds!! That wasn't there the moment before I posted!!
snow conditions
Megamum, cross-posting again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
halfhand, Megamum, Close, but needs to be an EXACT stormtrooper (hmmm, needs bigger lens).
http://www.play.com/LargerImages.html?r=GADG&productid=23689048

I can see a whole market for these...imagine Darth Vader, various droids, voice modulators, comms-link, HUD for piste map, GPS, speed, altitude, friend-finder, rear view camera.

The future??
http://www.nanotech-now.com/images/US-Army-Soldier-Systems/FW_Helmet_Front-med.jpg
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/miwU7DUb7cpleYYO2V_gEZA.jpg
snow report
Some motorbike helmets have a clear visor, and then a separate shaded section that retracts into the body of the helmet when not needed, controlled with a slider on the outside. Very handy on a bike, and would solve the problem philwig mentions with changing lenses, thought obviously would make the helmet slightly more bulky.
snow report
snowdan86, H2 do some decent helmets with visors if that is what you are after!
snow report
philwig wrote:
I tried one but it wasn't great in over-the-head powder. The "blower" tends to get up underneath the visor. It's also harder to switch lenses (and harder to carry the spare lens) for when the light changes.

On the latter point, Alpina do a reactolight lens which, I understand on very good authority, is extremely responsive to light changes including into/out of shade.
latest report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
I wear a Bolle with a visor.

Works a treat for me;

covers my glasses
keeps the wind out
comfortable
doesn't mist up
excellent visibility

The only down side is the fashion police.
snowHead

I've just ordered a Bolle with visor model. I wear spectacles and often have problems with them fogging up when wearing OTG googles in bad weather, so I'll be interested to find out how the spectacles behave with the visor model helmet. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, I'd be VERY interested in hearing how you find it - if they are the 'solution' for specs wearers with no downsides I'd be interested, inc. if very foggy or snowing. The one thing I did think of is, if you wanted a darker lens, you would be able to use prescription sunnies under them and a lot of specs wearers already have these.
snow report
snowdan86, As Cacciatore says, I've just been lucky enough to get one of these...
(although to be fair, it looks a helluva lot better than that in reality... if I'd seen those pics, I'd not have given it a second glance - and the visor is not orange... not even close... nearer a faint blue colour IIRC Confused I'll try and dig out a better picture later)

http://liveextreme.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2072

Anyway...

Can't speak highly enough of the thing.... vis is brilliant, hugely widened field of vision and whilst I had some concerns about the reactolight lens and how it would cope with moving from shade to light for example. I should have feared not, the thing is totally and utterly brilliant. It's like looking at the same view all the time... no notable difference between bright sun and shade... quite weird... it's as if it was oblivious to the changes in light and you just 'see' exactly the same whatever the conditions. Definition of snow etc is all excellent. It's even really good in flat light. And as for the quick flip up/down of the visor whenever you felt the urge, the convenience is just fantastic. The only issue I had was when it was snowing heavily (which turned to rain as we approached resort) and I made the mistake of smearing the water across the visor with my gloves... that made for an interesting visionary experience... shan't make that mistake again! Laughing

And as for the fashion police inane ramblings above.... oh FFS.... get over yourselves... weren't snowboards hounded by the fashion police once upon a time? Toofy Grin wink
snow report
sHAF in Boots, they are rather smart - I like those, a bit pricey, but I like them. So if you destroyed your present one, would you buy another? Also are you wearing yours with spectacles?

I wonder where I would have to go, to try one on?
latest report
Megamum, They look a LOT better in reality... quite shocked myself with that link, looks awful. They ought to shoot their PR company wink Anyway, agreed not the cheapest but it was a present and to answer your questions: yes, worth every penny and no, I don't wear specs for skiing.
snow conditions
Mrs Skimastaaah had a White Bolle Visor helmet with mirror lens and interchangeable orange lens. She skied in monochrome black/white kit (Moncler shiny ski jacket, white pants) and looked like some retro-ski-babe. Several women asked about the helmet and where could they get one from, howmuch, does it work, etc? Any way, after about 5 weeks use, still in perfect nick the lid was ebayed, got 75% money back! Only ebayed because she's bought a Slokker black/white leather with snakeskin print visor helmet, to go with her new Moncler Black and white jacket. We're in Monte Rosa next week for the maiden voyage so to speak. I think she'll look just as ski-babe with a tad more bling! Puzzled

Verdict???........ cool on the right skier. Style needs no fashion police, you got it or you have not!
ski holidays
sHAF in Boots, Very Happy You implied above a reactolight visor - is that finish standard on that model? The link to the product doesn't appear to mention this quality to the visor.
latest report
Megamum, I've just received the Bolle helmet in the post today. It came with 2 interchangeable visors - one grey for general sunny conditions and one yellow for flat light conditions. I've just tried it on, and with the fairly wide spectacles I wear I've found that there is just sufficient clearance to slide the visor down - fortunately! Laughing . One nice feature which I didn't realise was included is that there is a slide control on the top of the helmet to open or close the 6 air vents - on my existing Giro 9 helmet if you want to open up the air vents you have to manually remove (and then keep) the vent plugs.

Obviously I won't be able to report on how it behaves regarding spectacle fogging until I get on the snow (in a few weeks ' time Very Happy ), but so far I'm quite impressed with it for the price I paid (£104.99 + £4.95 delivery charge from www.outdoormania.co.uk )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, Sounds great so far, I'm def. interested in knowing how they work in practice with spectacles. sHAF in Boots, says that she is just wearing hers as an alternative to goggles so clearly can't comment on the spectacle fogging issue, but she is clearly impressed with hers from a plain sighted user perspective, which is good.

Also, how did you find the fit of the Bolle one - had you found a chance to try one on prior to ordering, or did you go for the measure head and buy online route?

I know that plain sunnies have a terrible tendency to fog up the moment there is precipitation in the air, i.e. fog (I might possibly have mentioned, in the past, how much I hate the fog when skiing wink Laughing ) I have also tried OTG googles and again found the combination unsatisfactory in terms of the spectacles fogging, so would be very pleased for you to report back.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Actually that looks quite cool in a Top Gun kinda way Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I possess a white ski outfit for spring skiing, I think a white one would look quite slick! Maybe onlookers would get so caught up discussing the visored helmet they wouldn't see the grief occurring below my hips! I've been tempted for last couple of years, but haven't splashed my cash yet.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Also, how did you find the fit of the Bolle one - had you found a chance to try one on prior to ordering, or did you go for the measure head and buy online route?

Well as I said in my previous post, I already have a Giro 9 helmet which is a good fit and is marked as 57-59cms, so looking at the available sizes on the retailer's website I was pretty sure that the 58cm option would give a good fit too! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have an HMR which is on its 3rd season and really like it, despite the occasional pointing and laughing. I often go out with the low light visor and bright light goggles and just chop and change. But I must stress that I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with looking like a bit of a todger if it means I can see better.

I don't wear glasses so can't comment on that aspect of things.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Alastair Pink, Sounds great so far, I'm def. interested in knowing how they work in practice with spectacles. sHAF in Boots, says that she is just wearing hers as an alternative to goggles so clearly can't comment on the spectacle fogging issue, but she is clearly impressed with hers from a plain sighted user perspective, which is good.

Well I've just been skiing today in Radstadt and it was snowing all day with fairly flat light and using the yellow visor supplied with the Bolle helmet I found visibility good with absolutely no spectacle fogging problems, so I am well pleased with the results. Smile
snow report
Alastair Pink, Very Happy sounds like the right answer to me - many thanks, I wonder if I can go shopping before I go skiing - I've spotted my local shop sells Bolle ones. The report of snowing all day in Redstadt is also excellent news Very Happy
snow report
Alastair Pink, it must be something to do with the Ski Amade... wink Laughing
snow report
Sorry...how's it all going put there? Conditions sound rather good with the recent snowfall Very Happy
snow report
Megamum, go for it, and just forget about the fashion police (especially the ones that say white ski trousers make your bum look big wink ).

There seem to be a lot of helmets with visors in the shops in France. I'll start looking out for them on the slopes - they sound good.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
Sorry...how's it all going put there? Conditions sound rather good with the recent snowfall Very Happy

They are! Smile
latest report
I saw quite a few of these on the slopes last week, so I wouldn't worry about looking different.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy