Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A Mini Season

Poster: A snowHead
Home for a while now, back after the French holidays for the much longer part 2 Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Photos from the last 3 weeks ranging from phone snaps up the mountain to more "arty" ones in resort and beyond. In the unlikely chance that anyone is interested Happy

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7yFv4n
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm back Happy A lot more snow than when I left in January. Very hot and sunny today but snow was nice. Still more snow needed on the Diable runs back to resort. Off to Col D'Ornon on Wednesday which should be fun.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Double post

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 10-03-15 17:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still wall to wall sun. Snow forecast for the weekend which will be helpful. Col D'Ornon has closed early Sad so off to Alps de Grande Serre instead in an effort to support small resorts Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Claude B, lack of snow or lack of punters causing Col D'Ornon to close? Website seems to say "both".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When are you about until @Claude B, ? We are in L2A from Sat 28th for a week
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@katedenhaag, I'll be here then Happy I'm not having my hair "styled" though wink Josh is coming again, probably that week.

What a lovely little resort Alp du Grand Serre is Very Happy Only 50km of pistes and lots of drags inc one of 50% Shocked Had a lovely afternoon there yesterday though.

Sunny and warm lower down in L2A today but a cold wind higher up. Snow still forecast for the weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dobby, I thought the former. They were only due to open yesterday afternoon and this weekend anyway. Heavy recent rain and sun/high temps has affected lower resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, thanks. Looks like a nice little resort to pootle around in.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another fairly sunny day, colder and windier higher I believe but I stayed relatively low. Still forecasting snow over the next few days. They'd built this outside one of the restos which was cool.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having a a day off. Lots of cloud hanging over the mountains with very light snow and sun in resort. 20cm due this afternoon/over night.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow didn't come to anything in resort, some further up but I didn't venture above 2500 as was windy, not sure what was open higher.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
@katedenhaag, What a lovely little resort Alp du Grand Serre is Very Happy Only 50km of pistes and lots of drags inc one of 50% Shocked .

Good job you missed Col d'Ornon then, the drag up for the red and black runs is over 60% Laughing or so the sign says. It does not follow the piste either, so a bit of a hike through the trees if you fall off at the wrong place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitow, 60%? Almost flat! We can trump that with the teleski "Seigneur" at Flumet in the Espace Diamant

Il s'agit du TK le plus difficile de tout l'Espace Diamant et probablement l'un des plus durs de France avec ses 66% de pente maximale, ses 550 mètres de dénivelée et son kilomètre et demi de longueur.
Son tracé étroit en forêt complique fortement la sortie de la piste de montée en cas de chute, qui sont nombreuses durant le parcours, notamment pour ceux n'étant pas trop à l'aise sur un Téléski.

It doesn't follow the piste at all, though it does cross one. Most of the way, if you fall off, you have to trog through the forest to a steep and rarely pisted black run back to the beginning and either start again or wait for a bus to Crest Voland. Laughing
snow report
@pam w, Sounds good. To be fair the sign does say >60% so I don't know what it actually is. On what appears to be the steepest section it is quite easy to lift your skis off the floor and sit on the poma button for a bit. That's where I usually get to when it stops rolling eyes
snow report
66% Shocked Brightish today but pretty cold higher with a bit of wind too. Diable and Valentine Blacks back down were lovely early afternoon and I amused myself on them for some time. Somehow I managed 7700m vertical in only 4 hours skiing.

Snow Forecast is all over the place not sure I believe it anymore. wink
ski holidays
Not skiing today I'm picking my stepson up from Lyon airport. Very warm in resort this morning although there was a breeze which is probably strong higher. 20C as I drove through Grenoble. Yesterday was a fine day although bitter on the glacier. On the other hand Valentine was very slushy when I came down at 3. Looking after 2 one weekers for the next few days which apparently is good for my technique Happy
snow report
Been pootling around with my guests the last 3 days. Thursday scorchio, Friday not too bad and yesterday awful, just about the worst vis I've seen (or not). Awful down in resort ATM so it must be dreadful higher, reasonable amount of snow though with a sprinkling at resort level. Will investigate tomorrow.

Irresponsible parent alert Toofy Grin Got my stepson down the Diable black on his 5th day skiing Shocked Top three quartets inc the steepest bit he was fine on but struggled towards the bottom which was messy.

Demoiselles has been closed the last few days as is the Vallons de Diable red. Don't know whether there was enough snow to help them enough.

Off to Villard de Lans with Easiski sometime this week. Part of our campaign to visit some of the smaller local resorts.

Saw the most bizarre home made selfie stick the other day. 2 metres long it swivelled on the top of his helmet like a helicopter, gopro one end a counter balance the other. Awful skier too.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-03-15 10:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Villard de Lans with Easiski sometime this week. Part of our campaign to visit some of the smaller local resorts.

Enjoy that trip, @Claude B, sounds good. snowHead
snow report
Any more snow yet in resort. We are due out on 28th and starting to panic slightly as no snow seems to be arriving on snowforecast.
latest report
Had a good 3 days. Plenty of sun, some mist and a little snow. Its snowing lightly atm in resort. Came down early as vis was closing in. Only saw (just about) 2 others on Valentine at 2. Yesterday and the day before we skied with a couple of fairly well known Rumanian rock stars who played in resort last night. We joined the audience with a few hundred Romanians, there are 2000 in resort this week. They were very good indeed Happy

Plenty of skiing here still Happy Loads of good snow from Crete up although lower getting soft later. Valentine open back, Diable was getting poor low Friday haven't been on it since.

Looking like a trip to Puy St Vincent now.

Band playing last night (Robin and the Backstabbers)
snow conditions
Nice day today fair bit of off piste off the glacier. A bit of fresh from the previous couple of days. Mist was gradually creeping up and was at about 2400m by 5 so we took the lift down.

Provisionally La Grave tomorrow with 4 boarders inc Matteo an Italian instructor Shocked wind forecast isn't great though Sad
snow report
Hi Colin.... We are up in L2A on Saturday for the week... Maybe meet up for a beer?
ski holidays
@katedenhaag, sounds good Happy

After getting to 1st lift we canned LG as link was closed by wind. As everything was in car we drove round to Puy St Vincent and had a great day in a lovely little resort with loads of sun. Only mishap was me following the ski de fond (inc the uphill) to eventually end up a at closed lift (although with moving chairs). 100m vertical below where I wanted to be, the hike nearly killed me.
snow report
Another unsuccessful effort to get over to La Grave yesterday probably could have drove round but ticket office couldn't clarify tick position (you get 2 free on a season pass) Shocked Went over to Alpe D'Huez via Auris instead. Very windy up top and cloud built up during day, a lot of very heavy pistes. Very nice day though. Not skied today, very cloudy with some rain in resort.
ski holidays
@Claude B, Should have contacted you yesterday, we probably passed very close Embarassed You are right about today Sad
ski holidays
@skitow, Nick D there too thinking about coming over here some time this week.

Been raining and slushy snowing in resort since about 7 or so last night. Vis looks very poor though, not sure what to do yet.

Anyway here's a sunnier picture I took a few days ago clearly showing where the new blue will go, I think the outline is the drainage only.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair bit of snow over the last couple of days. Blasting was going on much of the day yesterday making it difficult to get high, avalanche warning level 4 all day. Today was glorious though, cold with snow in superb condition. Very cold wind up high though.
snow report
coming back to L2A on the 11th - your updates are keeping me in good spirits @Claude B, thank you!
ski holidays
@abbosphere, Nice to know they're helping.

Another cracking day with beautiful snow, cloud and mist started to come in during the afternoon though. Really cold wind high but not as cold lower down as yesterday. Valentine remained closed all day yesterday as it was an icy deathtrap but opened today. I came down it closed on Tuesday and it was lethal. We saw several nasty falls inc one really bad one. We knew what it would be like and that we could ski it but an English lad I spoke to who came down on his backside past me expected the benign run he'd had the previous afternoon Shocked There was a gendarme stationed at the top later.
latest report
Nice morning but light turned very flat early afternoon. I only skied 11 to 2 but did a lot in 3 hours. Came down Diable about 1 for the first time for a while and it was actually quite nice. Guess it gets nasty low later though. Valentine was fine at 2 also. Bit of snow due over the weekend Happy
snow report
In 2 minds but having a rest day. Lots of cloud bubbling around with some light snow in resort. Gonna watch Arsenal at lunchtime Happy
snow report
Claude B wrote:
In 2 minds but having a rest day. Lots of cloud bubbling around with some light snow in resort. Gonna watch Arsenal at lunchtime Happy

I bet you enjoyed that wink wink
snow conditions
@kiteman69, sure did, watched it with a Liverpool supporter too Happy

Snow overnight right down to resort level. Problem however was that there was a big bank of cloud between 2200m and 3200m all day with very poor vis. Only sun was on the glacier from late morning. So busy up there though with huge queues for all the lifts. Forecast better for the rest of the week.
latest report
Lovely day today nice and sunny. Cold up top though -13C with biting wind on top. Skied with a couple of lads 17/18 that my daughter skied with at Easter with Easiski in the past. Legs feeling it now. Off to ADH tomorrow to meet up with Nick D.
snow report
Great couple of days wall to wall sunshine and much warmer. Yesterday I went over to ADH and met Nick D who took us (and others) around for the day. Before lunch we did a lot of the lovely lower runs around Vaujany and Montfrais and after a late lunch went higher to get the better snow. Still skied back to Oz at 4.30.

Today Skitow and his 2 children came over and I rounded up a few more youngsters I know who are here atm to make a nice group. Suffering now though, skiing for over 6 hours with 5 16 - 20 year olds who've all skied since they were 3 is too much for my old bones.

On the downside my boarder mate who I've skied with a fair bit just rang me, helicoptered down this afternoon and in medical centre with cracked spine Sad
ski holidays
@Claude B, Sad bad news for him. He'll be in good hands though.
snow report
Sorry to hear that @Claude B, how are medical services in L2A?

How's snow conditions on the slopes too? Warm(er) weather had an effect on last week's fresh falls?
snow report
Great day skiing with various people at different times of the day. From 3600 to 1600 today. Even skied back down Valentine with easiski about 4. Snow is superb especially if you time when you go where.

Greg is OK in his apartment all drugged and braced up. Got his son and mates there ATM to look after him. I've promised to pop down with a bunch of flowers at the weekend wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy