Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone converted to a boarder from skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone has made the change and if so why? How have you found it? I was thinking of giving it a go but not sure about all of the time spent on your bum.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nowadays it seems as though the traffic is mostly in the other direction. No personal experience, sorry.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edelweiss28, I tried boarding once. After getting slammed onto my face followed by getting slammed onto my arse followed by getting slammed onto my face... for a whole day I decided this is not my idea of fun. Maybe I should have shown more fortitude, but I just didn't have it in me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have had a couple of day courses in snowboarding at Chill Factore in the last couple of months, seems another fun way of getting round snowy mountains! It certainly won't be a total switch to boarding, in fact most of my my time will still be skiing given it is hard enough to keep with the kids when I am on 2 planks and I'm much much better on 2 planks than one!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Give it a go, but i haven't met any folks in the last decade who have changed over (prior to that, lots) - I've given it a few tries, as have a some of my ski buddies. Some can do both (boarders who skied originally and flipped to boarding way back when) and it's useful so you can join any group and for variety, but I don't like not having back edge visibility, the horrible noise, the endless faffing and the time spent on my ass. Since skis got fatter I think the balance has swung back to skis, even offpiste. My group was originally 50/50 and is now all skiers....all the new folks that joined us ski, and the boarders got older, had kids and gave up Toofy Grin

aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edelweiss28, if you are to give boarding a go, make sure you have all the protective gear.
Essential is helmet and wrist guards.
Also recommend pelvis protection.
You go over with a real heavy clunk when learning to board.
(I tried it some years ago: went on 3 day course in Morzine with teenage son. At the finish we both decided to to go back to planks)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edelweiss28,
I did a couple of years ago & wish I had done it sooner; I changed as I couldn't get a pair of ski boots that didnt cripple me & didnt want to give up going to the mountains.
First hour or so on a board & thought this is impossible; kept with it and once you get the turns off pat it all follows pretty fast. Before you know it you will be doing 'Ollies' & 180's
You tend to pick your runs a little more carefully as last thing you need is long flats ( or anything like that); Powder is amazing & slush is pretty good fun to.
Any Q's please ask.
Mitch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tried it about 5 years ago when I was first learning to ski, my experience was much like Steilhang's. Think learning can get a bit harder with age!

However tried again just before xmas when an instructor offered me an hours free lesson. I found the balance and edging skills from skiing pretty transferable. Fell a few times (probably 4 or 5 times in an hours lesson and an hours free practice) but was probably going down a bit easily partially because I could feel it and decided to do a controlled fall rather than fight it and also because of the conditions. It was at Hemel, half an hour on the nursery slope then onto the main slope for controlled turns from the top which was decidedly challenging, Monday evening after the race club had crucified the slope into a channeled mogul field and polished boilerplate and with a third of the slope still cordoned off. Interestingly she wouldn't let me sit down even when doing bindings, 'you can balance on the board, why would you want to sit down and get cold!' Need to remember to keep my hands down though! Found all the skiers who got in the way annoying, but now have no sympathy whatsoever for boarders who cant use a button lift! Very Happy *-)

Looking forward to trying more, but prefer being on skis Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anarchicsaltire,
once you get better I bet you will prefer the board wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're a competent skier then it's easy. Most snowboarders I ride with were converts from skiing. But be careful - you may not want to go back.

Your mileage may vary.... As a good skier it took me about 4 hours to be able to ride my local hill top-to-bottom without falling, so that's 4 hours of fairly regular ending-up-on-bottom. After that it took a few weeks snow time to get from being an "intermediate" level piste boarder to being similar to my skiing level. For sure it's way easier to make the switch than to learn skiing in the first place.

As a skier you should already have the balance and edge control thing nailed, which most snowboarders never learn, so you have a huge advantage.

I agree with the instructor on "sitting down" - just don't do it, any more than you would on skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ask all the dual qualified instructors who do both. Both equally easy or difficult, depends on talent.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did a learn to board in a day course when the OH was doing the ski equivalent - I was already a competent skier. I then had a few more practices at UK snowdomes before boarding for three days in the three valleys. It is not an experience I will be repeating. I found it a constant faf un clipping and clipping back in when getting on and off lifts, very painful when falling over to the point that after three days I could barely sit down or raise my arms above my head. The board was swiftly swooped for my skis!

I got to a level where I could competently link turns on blues and some reds, however I found it really frustrating when struggling on runs that I would comfortably ski down, particularly any flatish runs! After the moans of my parents (in their sixties and far from competent skiers) about having to wait for me all the time and the ribbing of how the tables had turned (on skis I wait for them!) I had had enough.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skier only for 6 years, then did both for about 8, now 8 years board only except for the odd day on skis. Much prefer the feel of a snowboard over skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done a bit, and enjoyed it (but yes, some very painful slams) but never got any good. Could link turns down a red run but it was an exceptionally easy red run, I have to say with a chairlift with a lovely easy off ramp. wink I had Flow bindings which I could get in and out of very swiftly, and found that clipping my back foot in made draglifts much easier, and getting off chairlifts easier too. I had no problem with being a beginner on a slope I could ski very easily - I think starting from the beginning at something is strangely satisfying!

After I fractured my pelvis last season (ski collision) and was diagnosed with thinning bones (albeit short of full osteoporosis) I decided it was time to give up boarding. But I'm glad I did some (I started with a "board in a day" course at Milton Keynes) and I think the insight it gives skiers into the world-view of a boarder is very useful. I was out with a boarder this morning and I must say he did spend a lot of time faffing with bindings. wink However, he is not a very good boarder. My son, who is, can get down any slope in half the time I can, including time taken to get his bindings done up - usually gets the back foot done up whilst already on the move.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My son does both - and is probably a comparatively better skier than boarder - but will always choose the board when the snow is good. Skis when the pistes are hard-packed and off piste not up to much. No need to make a final choice between the two, really.
latest report
Edelweiss28, I teach both although I'm a skier first.

The learning curve is pretty much inverse to skiing, ie it's hard to get moving but once you do progress it relatively fast until you plateau out. Give it a go, take your time in the early stages of learning, and work with a competent instructor. Unless you are in a hurry you don't need to be taking falls.

Learning aside it's nice to have another reason to be in the mountains should skiing not appeal on a given day.
ski holidays
Skied (although not particularly well) but always wanted to board so switched towards the end of my first season about 5 years ago. Found learning a lot more tiring than learning to ski, lose your balance and you are much more likely to end up on the floor. Impact shorts are a must, although a hard slam on to your back bottom can still hurt, especially if it's an icy patch. Also suggest a helmet. A lot recommend wrist guards, but I find that depends entirely on you, I played rugby and football (goalkeeper) when I was younger and so have got used to falling without throwing my hands out to stop me (I do tend to wear them in the park tho, just for a little protection from rails/boxes). I also wear knee pads, but that is personal choice and comes from still having a numb patch on one knee after slamming it in to a chunk of ice 4 years ago.

I like the fact that I can wake up in the morning and decide whether to ski or board depending on my mood and the conditions. I have also been known to switch half way through the day.
ski holidays
I'm a skier and love skiing, but my husband is a boarder (he skied during his teenage years but then switched to boarding as an adult when I was learning to ski).

My husband prefers boarding although I encouraged him to get back on the skis for a day the other year and after a wobbly start, he was sking pertty well soon enough. At the time he said he'd probably not ski again as it frustrated him because he is a far better boarder, but every now and then he mentions that he might work on his skiing so that he is a similar level at both sports.

As a skier, I dabbled with snowboarding in the last few years, a couple of hours here and there, but spent most of it catching an edge and slamming to the ground or getting frustrated so stuck with skiing.
Then I went on a working holiday (ski rep) where the whole school group were learning to board, so I used this as an opportunity to properly learn to board. I progressed quicker that most since some skills are transferable (reading the terrain/snow, edge and balance skills) although still spent much of the first couple of days falling over. One day it was very icy hard pack and I was wishing to be on skis, falling on that really hurt!
However, by the end of the week, and especially on the one snowy-slushy day we had, I was starting to get the hang of cruising down runs and actually enjoy it! I was not afraid to go faster (not fast you understand, just faster than some of the beginners) because it felt very slow compared to the speeds I ski at and I soon got used to falling over.
In summary, I love to ski and think I will probably stay a skier but I'm likely to board one or two days on each holiday I take, to keep up the skills, depending on snow conditions. When it is bulletproof hardpack, then I'll stick to skiing thanks and if it is a powder day then probably still ski (so I can keep pace with my husband and friends), but if it is slushy spring snow or ok pistes then I'll snowboard. I'm glad I took a week to really learn the skills, as the first day or two of learning to board is much slower/frustrating than learning to ski, but after that, progress is more rapid than skiing.
snow conditions
Thanks guys, interesting insights. I think the thought of not being able to stand and balance freely or 'walk' like you can on ski's is what is holding me back. I might take a trip to the snowdome to try it out without committing properly.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing..,

Do you mind if I ask what you started out with, boarding or skiing? Also, why do you prefer skiing?
latest report
Quote:

'walk' like you can on ski's

For a decent boarder scooting with one foot in is not a problem and for an indecent boarder taking the bloody thing off and walking along the flat with it under your arm is a dream of comfort compared to waddling like a duck on alpine gear poking yourself along in ungainly fashion with your sticks.
snow conditions
Edelweiss28,
Nearest analogy I can make is liking driving a car to a motorbike; same route in similar fashion but totally different feel! Snowboard, like the bike, much more involved/exciting ride Very Happy
ski holidays
My husband. He went over to the dark side 5yrs ago. He won't come back.
Full body armoured Demonflex, imported from USA. Dainese body pants, buy bigger trousers for comfy fit. Helmet. Job done.
snow conditions
Fruity,
snowHead
snow report
Pamw Hey I'll have you know my duck-walk is a picture of elegance! Very Happy
snow report
Edelweiss28 wrote:
AndAnotherThing..,

Do you mind if I ask what you started out with, boarding or skiing? Also, why do you prefer skiing?

Skied first but soon decided I fancied a different option. I started skiing quite late and was coached heavily but sometimes I needed a break and boarding ticked the box.

I'm not sure that it's true to say I prefer skiing, rather I ski better than I board. That gives me more options as these days I'm drawn to off piste and back country. On piste I'm 50-50 but for off piste I find ski's a more practicable proposition for the access & exit and easier on the steeps. That said I don't own a split board.....
ski holidays
Mitchell wrote:
Edelweiss28,
Nearest analogy I can make is liking driving a car to a motorbike; same route in similar fashion but totally different feel! Snowboard, like the bike, much more involved/exciting ride Very Happy

Good analogy. I like the idea of the freedom and 'feel' of surfing through powder every time I see those Red Bull pro's heliboarding in Alaska somewhere. Although, I think I will no doubt be confined to greens and blues if I do go to the 'dark side'..
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Edelweiss28 wrote:
AndAnotherThing..,

Skied first but soon decided I fancied a different option. I started skiing quite late and was coached heavily but sometimes I needed a break and boarding ticked the box.

I'm not sure that it's true to say I prefer skiing, rather I ski better than I board. That gives me more options as these days I'm drawn to off piste and back country. On piste I'm 50-50 but for off piste I find ski's a more practicable proposition for the access & exit and easier on the steeps. That said I don't own a split board.....

Thanks... I think I'll give it a go the next time I get a day off.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edelweiss28,
tbh what is green on skis will become blacks & blacks will become green/blues; gradient is your friend & flats are not!
Powder is just amazing Little Angel
snow conditions
philwig wrote:

As a skier you should already have the balance and edge control thing nailed, which most snowboarders never learn, so you have a huge advantage.

You do talk some bo***** sometimes.

After 3 trips skiing my friend decided he didnt like skiing and switched to snowboarding. He's had 2 weeks and some lessons at Hemel and absolutely loves it. He always has a smile on his face when he's boarding. Never had one while skiing and now he's bought his own setup. He's going to try and keep up with us on the next trip so we'll put him through his paces now but hopefully not enough to scare him off. The main thing he said when he switched was that boarding is just so much more fun.
latest report
Gainz,

Quote:

The main thing he said when he switched was that boarding is just so much more fun.

Thats how it felt to me ( although i did enjoy my skiing , when my feet werent killing me that is )
snowHead
snow report
Gainz wrote:
philwig wrote:

After 3 trips skiing my friend decided he didnt like skiing and switched to snowboarding. He's had 2 weeks and some lessons at Hemel and absolutely loves it. He always has a smile on his face when he's boarding. Never had one while skiing and now he's bought his own setup. He's going to try and keep up with us on the next trip so we'll put him through his paces now but hopefully not enough to scare him off. The main thing he said when he switched was that boarding is just so much more fun.

actually, no thats not b***c*s I would say that probably 90% of snowboarders on the hill have poor balance and edge control. most snowboarders out there havent even mastered the fact that they actually need to stand sideways on the board......
snow conditions
Mitchell wrote:
Gainz,

Quote:

The main thing he said when he switched was that boarding is just so much more fun.

Thats how it felt to me ( although i did enjoy my skiing , when my feet werent killing me that is )
snowHead

+1.I learned to ski when I was 4. I carried on (and off) until I was about 35, so whilst i had no lessons I could ski reasonably well for a 'punter'. I didn't want to be a beginner again, but eventually went on hols with a different group, one of whom was a dyed in the wool boarder since the late 80s, who I surf with and he taught three of us. By the first afternoon two of the three were cruising a long enough blue (from top of signal hill to ADH base) at an ok speed linking turns. A few caught edges and overconfident moments resulted in a good selection of bruising but nothing we couldn't deal with. It absolutely puked on day 4, knee deep on piste so we got the full benefit of boards.

I've on skis once since, that was in a snowdome and it was ok, but I'm fairly committed to the darkside now.
latest report
Skied from age 5 till 33 in 2007. Then I went on a holiday where I'd have been the only advanced skier in a group of complete beginners boarders. Rather than get bored waitiong for them all the time I decided to join in and learn to board.
Aside from a handful of days, each one confirming my new bias, I haven't gone back to skiing.
I've loved learning a new way to slide and while the first few days can indeed be painful and tiring it's well worth the effort. I'm having much more fun on a board now that I use to have on skis...
I didn't take any lessons. Just read advice/on techniques here and on the web and taught myself. So no doubt I have plenty of bad habits and shortcomings but it doesn't stop me having a good time. And I do think my background as a skier has helped a lot..
snow report
I changed from skiing to boarding partly becasue it looked like way more fun and was much cooler (I was 13, this was very important!) and partly to keep the dry ski slope interesting.

If I were just cruising aroundf on piste I would probably go back to skis, becasue I think they are much better for cruising around with friends due ot the reduced faff factor. However boards come into their own in good snow conditions and powder feels amazing.
snow conditions
kat.ryb,
Quote:

and powder feels amazing.

So true
Very Happy
snow conditions
Hmmm; I started onna board and then added skiing . . . which was oddly quite easy at first. But as I progress the skiing has become more depressing in having to learn all the complex verbiage that surrounds the teaching of it. That makes it sort of soulless and sterile. I went to Telemark because it still has that silly fun factor that boarding gives us. It, like boarding, can still make you laugh your socks off even when it all goes titsup and when it all comes together, even for a brief moment, it's magic. I get far more of those 'magic moments' on a board and tele than I ever do on alpine.

Snowboarder first and always, but there are many ways to enjoy the hill.
snow report
I skied first (for a few days on a long weekend work ski trip), then tried boarding and stuck to boarding. I've been on 20+ trips now and just love it. I have however started to dabble with skiing again and I enjoy that too - it's a bit weird being at beginner / "2 weeker" level again, but it is fun learning the new skill. I like the idea that going down a black slope will again be an "achievement", and that it will be an even better feeling when I am able to ski (properly - with at least some style) down one!!

And when there's fresh snow, it's nice to know that I can swap to a board and have a guaranteed amazing day.

IMO you can't try boarding for a day or two - it takes about 2 or 3 days to "get it" and until you do "get it" you fall a lot and it hurts a lot. After you "get it", progress is fast and you will soon be able to enjoy the whole mountain (again).
snow report
Gainz wrote:
philwig wrote:

Ok, I'll do it some more just for you....

One of the reasons my snowboarding mates teach their kids to ride skis first is because it's easier to learn edge control on two planks. That's a skill which you need to progress beyond the intermediate stage snowboarding. From observation at a resort you can see that most snowboarders don't ever acquire that skill. Without it, it's hard to get the most from snowboarding.

Hence my view, which you disagree with, is that you have some advantages when converting from skis to board.
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:
Gainz wrote:
philwig wrote:

actually, no thats not b***c*s I would say that probably 90% of snowboarders on the hill have poor balance and edge control. most snowboarders out there havent even mastered the fact that they actually need to stand sideways on the board......

90% of snowboarders is just over egging it a tad! rolling eyes yes there are some dodgy snowboarders with poor balance and edge control out there but there are just as many dodgy skiers with the same poor edge control or going to fast for there ability.

My biggest bug bare Mad is the number of skiers that come rocketing past you while you are boarding and then have the cheek to say you cut them up because you turned while in front of them !

In any situation be it skier or boarder the person in front has right of way therefore the person behind must be prepared for what ever you do. Snowboarders in particulate have a blind spot mainly when heel edge turning as they are side on to the slope, therefore if another skier or boarder are going to pass then they need to be prepared encase the boarder in front does not see you when initiating their turn.

I love boarding particularly on a powder day as there is nothing like it, i will however probably take up skiing in years to come just to see what all the fuss is about snowHead

Either way everyone is on the mountain due to the same love for the snow be it on one or two planks so lets all just have fun snowHead and respect each other on the mountain.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy