Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Vail with the extended family mid January. There are 7 of us sharing an apartment so we are obviously not too flush. Any recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants (we have hire cars so can travel) and ski hire, please?
We are a mixed ability group varying from intermediate (or advanced if you use the Snow and Rock scale) to pretty good (spend our time looking for decent off-piste). Is it worth visiting the resorts included on the pass (Breckenridge, A-Basin, Beaver Creek, Copper?)? Anywhere, on or off the mountain to either avoid or visit?
All help very gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
John Scott, where are you staying in Vail? The Sand Bar in West Vail is good food, and a good bar, worth a visit.
Beaver Creek is a must - if only to see how the other half live! Park down in one of the lower car parks, and get the bus up. The fresh chocolate chip cookies are excellent - you'll probably get them at the top of the second escalator in the resort (and they are free - if you see any resort staff with trays, or postcards or anything - it's free, just grab it off them!)

When skiing in Vail, if the snow is good, get over the back to Blue Sky Basin. If you plan it in advance, then go to the Safeway (not far from the Sand Bar) and buy a few steaks. Blue Skjy Basin has a coffee shop, but no proper restaurant/cafeteria. Instead it has a few barbecues outside the coffee shop which are there to be used. Grill your own steaks at 12,000ft. But don't forget to bring knives/forks/plates with you.

Post on epic... www.epicski.com - there are a few people from there who work/instruct at Vail, Copper, Breck, etc, and if you are in the area on quiet days, they can be very helpful in showing you around.

For a meal out, go to the Mexican restaurant/bar in Minturn, http://www.chiliwilly.com/
Their food is excellent, and reasonably priced.

If you are skiing in Vail, make use of the free shuttle buses, rather than driving your cars to the car parks, and having to pay for them.

(if I think of anything else, I'll post it here)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ThanksWear The Fox Hat, we will be staying in East Vail, possibly Timberfalls. I read some posts on Epic about the car parking, sounds expensive so we will probably be using the bus to get to the slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you won't need a car once you get in the vail valley. parking is difficult to find and expensive. places to eat change all the time and reasonably priced is relative. nothing is cheap in vail, however, it may be a bargain in comparison to the UK or europe. i think you can find places to eat for 30-40 per person without booze.

skiing elsewhere? there is plenty to keep you occupied at vail. copper is 30 minutes away and breck or keystone an hour. i wouldn't bother to make the effort to travel elsewhere unless you simply want to try/visit other towns.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Rusty Guy, looks like we will have to eat in for a couple of nights!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
useful info here:

http://www.econovail.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, nice link, cheers. I'm not normally such a cheapskate but this trip we are suporting the two 'children' (23 and 24) so economies have to be made. It will be worth it as long as we get the snow!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no worries, it's not a cheap place, so money saved = more beer !

One thing not mentioned is lift passes, you can "pre buy" online, and save some money, not sure if they can be got cheaper from supermarkets etc???

I got a Peaks card last time I went, saved me some money...

http://www.snow.com/info/peaks.about.asp

regards

Greg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy