Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The new ski control / RaxSki

Poster: A snowHead
Jac Sprat wrote:
These look great for stability and speed control for maybe the nervous, the elderly - people who don't want to have to learn a lot of technique etc. maybe not for the die hards and purists but there's a market niche I'm sure.
The idea of being able to get off bumpy snow fast at the end of the day in april sounds bliss.
I wonder if I can try these out in Mayrhofen next week.... Special boots needed?
Maybe the answer for my daughter who cannot find any comfortable ski boots due to the shape or sensitivity of her lower calf!

You are right, Jac Sprat, a light, short and easy turning ski can solve some problems handicapped people usually have with skiing.
Of course we cannot say: RaxSki helps everywhere. But if anything could help, then...

Let me guess that your daughter is finding all ski boots less comfortable, because regular skis simply require high pressure between the sensitive lower calf and the rim of the boot. Let me further suggest that your daughter needs the combination of a light ski and very light and comfortable boot.
RaxSki is in this question nearly contrary to regular ski. Even for the top performace off-piste RaxSki doesn`t demand heavy racing boots!

Well, we do not plan Tyrol for the next week. But this can change if we should come to speed tests. It`s not yet settled.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, yeah he posts a thread there this time every year as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:

Tom,
are you saying that the image hasn't been rotated for effect?

ansta1,
- are you saying that these lashes are hanging free?
- are you saying that I have claimed the steepness of the slope?

It was the ExtremeCarver who made this pic. It shows the slope en face, surely not the profile of the slope.
This perspective lets you always perceive slopes steeper than they actually are.

Let me just add one remark to the slant version of our pic.
The author of this photoshop-product is cheating the public by intentional hiding the lower part of the lash, that would otherwise witness against his argumentation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geoffers wrote:
...just as an evidence of my accusation above
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom from Austria wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

Tom,
are you saying that the image hasn't been rotated for effect?

ansta1,
- are you saying that these lashes are hanging free?
- are you saying that I have claimed the steepness of the slope?

It was the ExtremeCarver who made this pic. It shows the slope en face, surely not the profile of the slope.
This perspective lets you always perceive slopes steeper than they actually are.

Let me just add one remark to the slant version of our pic.
The author of this photoshop-product is cheating the public by intentional hiding the lower part of the lash, that would otherwise witness against his argumentation.

Tom,

You posted the image without any supporting text, therefore it is safe to assume that the viewer would naturally assume that it was representative of the situation it was related to. Ever seen the ipad, iphone, ps3 game adverts were they now have to say "doesn't represent actual game footage" or "actual steps cut short".

Please don't try to hide behind the "its not my picture mate".

If I could find a picture of a dead horse being flogged I'd insert it here, but I feel it would miss the target of the intended audience.

Have fun with you blades with fins and I am sure you will make a zillion dollars soon.

Iiiiii'm oooot..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Someone else fixed it for him on this thread Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
http://www.freeride.se/forum/thread.php?t=77635&p=3#r863767
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1 wrote:

The last direct questions, ansta1.

Are these lashes hanging free? Yes or No?
Has the author of the slant version cheated public by cutting off the lower half of the lash? Has he?

Wait a minute, geoffers will show us a rotated version of this pic with smoke falling down! He is a funny guy Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom from Austria,

Why are you asking me? The lashes could be hanging free, but the loop hanging from the front of the pants certainly isn't hanging according to gravity in the original post.

So I ask you for the last time. Is the picture you posted representative of the slope? If you are not able to answer honestly and without avoiding the answer then I think you are likely to lose even more of the little support for your product that you have.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For others who keep reading for the humor, check out the TGR thread.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah, link?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it may be this one :- http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/271618-The-new-ski-control-RaxSki/page5
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:
forget the leases it's the rest of the outfit that should have had some touching up.. Salmon trousers, nice jumper and yellow helmet and not a blue zip to be found anywhere. Toofy Grin

As you can imagine I feel ashamed that I do not look like all you guys! rolling eyes
------
Ok, that was a joke.
Uniformity was never my merit. You can feel very happy in the flock but you will never invent anything new until you break out.

For those of you who can still think beyond conventions:
a rough sweater can stop your body gliding down uncontrolled in steeps
more efficiently than the trendy freeride outfit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing at what people wear to ski in (unless it's jeans and/or Bognor) isn't cool.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria, a rough sweater is not really going to help in any meaningful way like that Tom.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom from Austria wrote:
DB wrote:
From Jan 2008 .....

I am really very glad to hear that you are well of and still active, DB!
In Jan 2008 you were the second skier worldwide to test RaxSkis. The 1st one was my son, just few weeks before.
The RaxSkis you tested were very first prototypes, made of old skis, sawed off behind the binding and equipped with hand-made aluminium fins.
Since then RaxSkis made a long way.

Are you still in Vienna, DB? I would deeply appreciate you could test today`s models. You are the only one in the whole world who can objectively compare our 2008 prototypes with 2014 models!!!! All other partners of ours started later with RaxSki and went on testing all successive improvements up to date. Please do not say no! Your Tom
PS Remarkably we made no photo on that January day so I cannot remember you face

Servus Tom,
Ja ich lebe noch, immer noch in Wien snowHead

Yes I must get round to trying them again - I'll send you a PM with my mobile number. To be honest it's probably better you get other snowheads to try the Raxski too - maybe get to a meetup/bash.
ski holidays
Re the leash - it looks to me that the it could be getting blown in the wind. Anyway I've seen Tom on these things and am pretty sure he would get down steep sloppy/slushy slopes faster with a lot less effort than over 90% of the non-professional skiers here. Anybody want to take up the challenge?

We could do the Rax or Schneeberg couloirs

http://youtube.com/v/Jjuai_xeutk

http://youtube.com/v/EpX2PCuWiY8
latest report
How to kill a discussion dead ....
snow report
Having read all these pages, old posts, TGR, the www and Tom's website I fundamentally don't see the point. I'm not a ski God or huge cliff hucker, I love skiing and am lucky enough to be able to teach the Military how to ski. To get 'here' I've had to learn Alpine, Ski Touring, langlaufing, elements of mountaineering and have tried to get to grips with telemarking; I'm happy to learn new skills and take on a challenge. However, these skis just don't make sense. Great, the've had some engineering thrown at them in the form of fins that dig into the snow and appear to make it 'easier' to turn; this though would seem to involve sitting so far back all your weight is in danger of passing beyond the rear of the 'fins' - not the wisest move if you're skiing a steep couloir... cue loss of fin to snow = long fast uncontrolled tumble down. Worryingly it seems that the you can ski anywhere at any ability marketing by Tom makes the scenario more likely than not.

Then there are the questions about balance, stance etc which as depicted in all the images suggest again it's a weight rear to engage the fins, cue tired legs and stressed knees. When not sitting back to engage the fins it reminds me of snow blades... you could 'carve' in these - but they were unstable at 'speed' - I'll accept the fins at the sides might reduce this - but their short length won't. Also, I'd expect those fins to significantly increase drag making that long schuss a long walk...

I'm curious as to who would want to buy and ski them? Is there a market for these? Judging from the overwhelming comments - not really.

I'm shooting from the hip..

A beginner. The constant leaning back, iffy balancing, dodgy stance and constant walking would see them quickly relegated to the corner of the shed and bindings removed for proper skis.

An intermediate. As with the beginner but considers a few runs down short steeper slopes - skis them but isn't convinced - balancing and control, a probable 'whooa' moment or two swallows heart and thinks I'd rather get confident on real skis. Quickly relegated to the corner of the shed and bindings removed for fat powder skis.

An advanced skiier. Considers all they know about skiing and decides to try it - why not it's only money.....? Ski's them, has issues as with beginner and intermediate - doesn't enjoy it compared to their normal skis. Cue money wasted. Quickly relegated to the corner of the shed and bindings removed for sale on ebay etc.

Others. Mountaineers, guides etc. Already has plenty of kit, knows how and where to use it, recognises that it's safer to climb down that dodgy couloir or is technically competent to ski it without ruining knees and thighs or tumbling down.

Just my opinion/ thoughts and only relevant as I'm a consumer.
snow report
matricks,

Of course Tom is trying to sell his product, some would say over sell. Next he will be selling self-arrest wolly jumpers wink

I don't really see much point in blades / big foots but people buy them. Perhaps they are a good fore/aft balance tool.

I could see the Raxski being worthwhile when someone wants to get out in the mountains but the snow is pretty bad. Rather than ruining a pair of skins you could hike / snowshoe up and then "Rax" down. Rather than jump turn after jump turn in slush, you would probably have more fun Raxing down the fall line.

I didn't see the Rax ski as a tool to replace skis but another tool for certain crappy conditions that aren't a lot of fun to ski. In good quality snow on flat pistes, powder, bumps etc I would reach for skis before the Rax.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've seen Tom on these things and am pretty sure he would get down steep sloppy/slushy slopes faster with a lot less effort than over 90% of the non-professional skiers here
It's not the getting down I was questioning - it was the getting up. I see Rax skis taking the place of axes & rear-entry boots taking the place of crampons in ascending what appears to be a >50deg slope Skullie
ski holidays
DB,

I can see he's trying and has been for quite a while, fair play for persistence; I just can't see why/ when you would with everything else that's already available.

However, the self arrest wooly jumper has my interest, I'll trademark and copyright, Tom gets a cut as he suggested it, you coined it so $ for you too and I'll take % for design and admin costs....
latest report
Quote:

the self arrest wooly jumper has my interest

Maybe we can get CG involved to - have an "auto unravel" feature to act as an Avalanche Cord .... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
matricks,

I think the self aresst wolly jumper needs a few mods before we can run (i.e fall/slide) with it. We would have to combine it with a heavy duty cod piece otherwise all we will save is the jumper. We will need to have a Christmas themed version too.

http://youtube.com/v/OxLrsn9ZsiQ
snow report
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

the self arrest wooly jumper has my interest

Maybe we can get CG involved to - have an "auto unravel" feature to act as an Avalanche Cord .... Toofy Grin

CG, PJski and Stanton could be the test pilots.
snow conditions
geoffers,

Dammit now you'll have to have a cut too for the Auto Unravelling Avalanche Cord. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB, Well if 'tyre socks' work . . . so should a wooly jumper
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Laughing at what people wear to ski in (unless it's jeans and/or Bognor) isn't cool.

I was born this way, clarky999, cannot help rebelling against the convention, the best practice, etc

Yeah, the alpine skiing is a promissing field, as it remained extremely conservative in the last 100 years.
Using some rear fins on downhill skis - this idea is not so ingenious and exceptional. Look at other vehicles moving on surfaces other than firm ground or rails.

I really do not understand, why nobody invented the RaxSki in the 30´s, the 50`s, 60´s:
just to spare the material on long skis, heavy releasable bindings, costs of crucial ligament treatment.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 31-12-13 14:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DB wrote:
... am pretty sure he would get down steep sloppy/slushy slopes faster with a lot less effort than over 90% of the non-professional skiers here. ...

Thank you for your honest posting, DB
and wish you personally "GUTEN RUTSCH" and a successful year 2014.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria,

ski holidays
DB wrote:

Hey, it`s really like a Rax skiing technique! The carving is here, the short Rax wings, just rear fins are missing.
The best picture for the longest night to come!!!
ski holidays
Like Wiener Philharmoniker in their "New Year`s Concert"
the Vienna-based company Rax Skidesign GmbH
www.raxski.com
is wishing you PROSIT NEW YEAR !!!

At the year`s end let me express my thanks for your contribuitions to this thread.
I am wishing our friends and our critics a succesful new year 2014,

Yours Tom from Austria
latest report
meh wrote:
Tom from Austria, a rough sweater is not really going to help in any meaningful way like that Tom.

Such a rough sweater probably saved my life when my body was helplessly gliding down a couloir. Of course I was ripping the snow with pole tips under my breasts but that sweater certainly helped to brake.
latest report
It's like slides in hard shell / goretex pants. Unless you break very quickly you pick up some real speed on steep icy terrain. I'm talking more of general mountaineering here but the same applies to skiing.
ski holidays
These possibly have a very similar technique to using skiboards with the bindings set back. With a short tail on skiboards you can ride the heels down super steeps with relative ease & maintain a mostly forwards facing body line.
snow conditions
Cptsideways wrote:
These possibly have a very similar technique to using skiboards with the bindings set back. With a short tail on skiboards you can ride the heels down super steeps with relative ease & maintain a mostly forwards facing body line.

Well, the difference between RaxSki and all those skiboards, snowblades, big foots,....is the rear fin!

RaxSki is like a water ski. Cut off all fins on this water ski and make the gliding base flat ..... and you get a regular ski, skiboard, snowblade, big foot, etc
snow report
Did mine eyes decieve me, or was there a Rax Ski demo at Cairngorm today??? I could have sworn they were Rax Skis... If not then an imitation!
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, they do have a demo available at cairngorm ya eyes weren't playing up.
latest report
I'll have to have a go next time, if they're still there!
latest report
bobmcstuff wrote:
Did mine eyes decieve me, or was there a Rax Ski demo at Cairngorm today??? I could have sworn they were Rax Skis... If not then an imitation!

Yes, there is a Rax centre in Scotland

http://www.aviemoreski.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=287110

snow report
Tom from Austria, send me a selection of your Rax's and I'll pimp them to my guests...
i.e. give me free stuff that I can help promote.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy