Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in Italy after 3Valleys, St. Anton,Mayerhofen and Solden?

Poster: A snowHead
Need advice on where to ski in Italy after numerous trips to Austria and France.

We have a small group of various abilities and most prefer on piste skiing with limited off piste ventures interest. So long, wide, and well groomed pistes similar to what you see in Lech/Zurs. We have covered Soelden and Ishgl, then Mayrhofen followed by St. Anton (most impressive destination) followed by Les 3 Valleys (Meribel) last year. Loved St. Anton (Lech) and 3Valleys, especially Val Torence.

Thinking of maybe doing Italy this year and need to pick Cervinia (with Zermatt over the hill), Courmayeur (with Chamonix) or somewhere in the Dolomites. I read various forums but still unsure how Italy skiing is after 3Valleys or some of the best places in Austria.

We are going for 7 days and shooting for mid-February time frame. All input is appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva/val gardena
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia is a good choice. Plenty of long wide pistes and with zermatt included you have a huge ski area with the Matterhorn as a beautiful back drop
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you would find Courmayeur (definitely) and Cervinia (possibly) a bit limited in extent after the other places you have been. I know you can get "over the top" to Zermatt but that can be tricky in windy weather. You can also get around the Aosta Valley to extend your range too, but it is bus time involved.

I suggest you head for the Sella Ronda. It certainly ticks the box for well-groomed, though I believe the off-piste is not so good. If you like to get around over a large and varied area, then it is right up there with 3V. It doesn't matter that much where you are based, but Arabba has the most chgallenging skiing to hand, San Cassiano and the Alta Badia area the least challenging. Canazei is a pleasant base as a town. Selva is well placed for variety too.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sella Ronda. Stay in Val Gardena or Arabba - Italy beats France for skiing - piste bashing is better, food is better, people are friendlier, and it's cheaper.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Italy beats France for skiing - piste bashing is better, food is better, people are friendlier, and it's cheaper

People round this part of France are perfectly friendly and the pistes (except a couple of blacks) are bashed every day. And it's not particularly expensive (I can get a big plate of chicken wings and chips for lunch with a glass of wine, less than €8, large beer around €6, "plat du jour" generally around €12 - 13 though you can pay more for not very much - I wasn't too tempted by a "soup of the day" yesterday, for €8. However, I am very much looking forward to skiing in Arabba in February. The standard "Savoyard cuisine" is pretty hard to take for more than a few days; FAR too much cheese and pig. wink wink Perfectly groomed slopes and good lunches sound great. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andrePA wrote:
We are going for 7 days and shooting for mid-February time frame.

Dr Rock wrote:
Italy beats France for skiing especially at half term.

FIFY wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr Rock wrote:
Sella Ronda. Stay in Val Gardena or Arabba - Italy beats France for skiing - piste bashing is better, food is better, people are friendlier, and it's cheaper.

Hard to disagree with this but somebody will I am sure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your suggestions. I am now pretty much set on Val Gardena as our next destination(after watching numerous YouTube videos and reading many reviews on various forums). However, I am a little concerned about lack of more advanced terrain as most runs including the loop are red or blue and mostly pretty pretty flat. Also seems like there is no chance to go off piste at all, is that correct? I know the region is advertised to include 1200km of terrain but Val Gardena is a third of that.

Are there any connections to other regions included in the superpass by public transportation at all?

Which of the 3 villages of Val Gardena do we want to stay? Seems like Selva is a popular choice. We don't do much apre ski but we'd like to be in the village within a walkable distance to the lift and restaurants and cafes. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andrePA

the seiser alm plateau is mostly flattish, but there's lots of steep slopes, especially around Arabba

lots of long blacks on nearby marmolada too
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the quick response and photos, these look more like Val Torannce. Whats the distance from one of Selva runs to Arraba or Marmolada?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Marmolada from Arabba is a nice day out. Not a huge distance, but popolaur so you need to get ahead of the crowds to do the three cable cars to the top. Selva to Arabba is about half of the Sella Ronda so, say, 2 hours. It has been known for people to do theSella Ronda bothways round in a day. Masses of options and challenges in the area. just book it.

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish wrote:
It has been known for people to do theSella Ronda bothways round in a day.

It has been known for some snowhead nutters to do both ways round the ronda and the marmolada in a day as well... that's some serious distance...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the North+East side of the Sella Ronda, you can do Selva-Arabba easily by morning coffee break. In fact that is only 3 ski runs, none of those being challenging, unless you have very nervous skiers. The return is 3 proper runs, and a handful of very short pistes. The bit from Arabba to Marmolada and back is fun. Mix of fast carve easy blue and decent steepness black.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It has been known for some snowhead nutters to do both ways round the ronda and the marmolada in a day as well... that's some serious distance...

We did Arraba to Selva (the longer way) to Ortisei to Alpe di Siusi (skied all of that), then back towards Campitello then Arabba in a day. Was about 100km incl lifts and a bus ride. (edit: 95km, but we looped the Arabba blacks twice to make it 106km).

Ronald did double Sella Ronda and Marmolada in a day, which iirc was about 135km (incl lifts)
(edit: I see he did everything in the Edelweiss valley too, which added about 8km to that total)
snow conditions
Quote:

Dr Rock wrote:

Amen to that!
snow report
I'm luvvin your conviction mozwold, in fact I'm beginning to feel convicted
ski holidays
Scenery better too
snow report
Also conside the Milky Way, Sauze etc. 400km of piste and its nice skiing with loads of runs through the trees if the weather's a bit grim.
ski holidays
So which village in Val Gardena is closer to Arraba and/or Marmolada? Or there isnt much difference? Just trying to find a place closer to Sella Ronda. Sort of like Meribel-Motarret in 3valley, close to all major valleys... Thanks.
ski holidays
Selva is closest. Ortesei is a few lifts and runs up the valley.
snow conditions
Most of the pistes are relatively unchallenging except at Arabba. There is lots of often very challenging off piste between the rock spires and cliffs - but most of it needs a guide. This was my first holiday there: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/50606-TR-Dolomites-17-25-March?highlight=Dolomites (TR by snowhead Horizon)
You should at least do the Val de Mesdi - which you access via the Pordoi cable car and a walk and takes you right accross to the opposite side of the Sella Ronda (It is sometimes called the Italian Vallee Blanche):
snow report
The world cup run was great fun!
Did the Sella Ronda one day and I found I spent more time queueing and on lifts than I wanted to. Same with the hidden valley. I think its best to stay near the area you most want to ski.
ski holidays
andrePA, sorry to take the thread off topic slightly but you've visited what is more or less my shortlist for January 2014. Out of Soelden, Ishgl, Mayrhofen and St. Anton, what order would you rate them? Maybe you could add to my thread please?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104269

Oh, and I went to Sauze Jan 2013 and had a amazing time, if you look at the Sauze Online facebook page you can see they've had a good snowfall over that last few days too!

Thanks
snow conditions
Trying to figure out the lodging in Selva now (this village seems to get you to Ronda runs faster than the others, is that correct?) Looking on the ski map of the region got me confused. What lift in town do i want to be close to? Ideally i would like to avoid taking the ski bus either way if at all possible. Ski out location would be great but not that important. Are there ski depots in Italy? Thanks all.
latest report
Hotel Serena in Selva is ski in/ski out, can get to both the lifts in/out of the town on your skis from there...
ski holidays
Thanks for recommendation, but we are mostly looking for a bed and breakfast or an apartment type of accomodation. Which lift in town takes you to Sella Ronda? Just Ciampinoi Gondellift or there is another? Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy