Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier summer skiing................

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody tried it? Is it worth it? where's best to go?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Knee Deep, Yes; Yes; Not sure.
I went to Zermat. Great place both winter and summer. You feel you are "in" the mountains, not "on" them. Summer skiing gets you 2 holidays for the price of one. In the morning you have a winter holiday:skiing (eat breakfast on you way up in the gondola) to about mid-day. Late lunch in the sunshine. Then in the afternoon you have a summer holiday: lovely walks, go swimming, or just lounge by the pool (some hotel pools are open to the public). If you are there on August 1st (Swiss Day) there is a spectacular fireworks display.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, but only as part of a summer holiday, I didn't go just to ski.

I stayed at Schladming to go walking, biking, rafting etc, and had a day on the Dachstein Glacier nearby. A day is probably over egging it, as the snow gets unskiable by midday and there was just the one run, so it does get a bit boring eventually. It's worth doing if you're near to one, but don't make a special trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I fancy just doing a weekend in the summer.
Jonpim, how many runs can you do on the glacier in Zermatt?
do you rememberif there was mountain biking that you could do?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tried it in Tignes last summer at the end of August. Don't think it was the best summer to go given the state of the glacier after the heatwave!! We still had fun though, it's good to get a few turns in, few jumps etc, and some awesome local skiers on the glacier training on the moguls and kickers etc.

The resort itself was totally dead, just a couple of bars open and not much else to do. Overall, I don't think I'd recommend it unless you're happy to spend the morning sitting around by the kickers, doing the odd jump and enjoying the weather. If you're a snowboarder I'm sure you'll love it! Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yes marc, you are quite right. It is not like winter skiing. Zermat does have more than one run, and in a good season you can ski right down to Trockener Steg (4 lifts in all). But you are not going to ski miles. I use it as a time to improve technique. In a morning it goes from rock-hard to slushy with only and hour or so in between. After a week (I went for 2 weeks) you will have conquered both these tricky conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Knee Deep, the Zermatt site will answer all your questions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Early summer was pretty bad on the big two last summer in France (Tignes/2 Alpes) - we were in Alpe d'Huez end of June and 2 Alpes just after, Alpe d'Huez was barely skiable and L2A not much better. It had just been too hot for too long. Easiski's the person to ask for 2Alpes, she lives there and skis on the glacier all summer. Previous summers though we'd had a great time.

That said, you need to be an early riser - it closes early, and conditions can deteriorate pretty quickly. Sections are staked out by race teams training - and they all want to be on the first lift up, around 7.30 am. in L2A there seems to be almost as many Italians as French. This is where having a private instructor is useful - you bypass all the teams queueing for the lifts and can get a really excellent morning's skiing in.

There's not a lot of choice though, it may be a large glacier - what's left of it - but you'll soon have skied it all.

You can usually get some very reasonable deals on accommodation.

If you've got kids, L2A is much better than Tignes, there's loads to do, a great variety of sports down in the resort, a good atmosphere, quite a large British expat community with their bars and haunts, if that's what you like. Down the far end of 2 Alpes is the original village, some excellent restaurants down there.

This article gives you a glimpse of the resort..... (pdf file, Acrobat needed)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My favorite is the Stubai, I can also recommend Innsbruck nearby for non-skiing amusement and the Intersport on the glacier for out of season boot buying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone here skied the Pitztal glacier in the summer? I've been there a couple of times in April and loved it. Pleasant villages up the Pitztal valley, superb hotels (stayed in the SportHotel - can't remember the village name), quick trip in the funicular up to the glacier..... but nowhere near as lively as the likes of 2 Alpes in France if you are after nightlife or have kids....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never tried it but beware La Plagne. Claims it exists but Bellecote Glacier did not open (at least according to the web sites) during the last 2 summers. Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kuwait_ian, It was probably hotter on the glacier than in Kuwait last summer! You should have seen the state of Alpe d'Huez in June, there was just no snow left. I think they prepare Bellecôte just in case they get lucky - seem to remember they deliberately closed in 2002 to do the necessary work to open last year..... but conditions were just too dreadful. I certainly wouldn't go to La Plagne on the offchance though... and I'm not sure that they intended opening very late anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG wrote:
Has anyone here skied the Pitztal glacier in the summer? I've been there a couple of times in April and loved it. Pleasant villages up the Pitztal valley, superb hotels (stayed in the SportHotel - can't remember the village name), quick trip in the funicular up to the glacier..... but nowhere near as lively as the likes of 2 Alpes in France if you are after nightlife or have kids....

I have, the best technical skiing on a glacier I've ever done. I've some photos here from Nov' 2002. I've stayed somewhere Very Happy The closest hotel to the funicular I think, I just walked in and asked for a room with no booking etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, Great photos, brings back memories! There's an off-piste route down from the glacier, don't suppose you tried it?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, not out of season I'm afraid, there's not been cover to the valley. The run down to the valley on the Stubai is also excellent, the Wildgrubbe I think it's called.
snow report
As PG says I live in Les Deux Alpes and actually teach on the glacier every summer. I love it, but there's no money in it! The summer season is just for the pleasure of going up to the glacier every day with the (generally) good weather and fabulous views.

I've also skied in Stubaital many times in the summer, and love it. One week in Pitztal, one week in Hochsolden, one day in Zermatt and odd days in Tignes. I admit that I haven't skied either Saas Fee or Hintertux.

It's difficult to say which is the best - they all have their different charm except Tignes which has none at all. However (and of course I'm biased here) I think L2A is the best for an all round holiday. We have almost every activity you can think of for the non-skier or the afternoons and the ski-ing is as good as any glacier I think. There are lots of bars, restaurants, shops and discos open for the after ski (which can go on for more then 12 hours).

Summer ski-ing cannot be compared with the winter game - it's much more relaxed, and instead of 80% poor skiers on the mountain trying to run you over it's 80% really good skiers to watch (including national teams). If you're a "travelling" skier then it's not for you, but if you're keen, love the mountains, and want to improve your ski-ing then you should give it a go. For families it's great because the kids won't get bored - how could they? You can even do it on the cheap by camping in the valley(s).

If you've never been to the Alps in summer then you should try it - it's much more fun than a beach!
latest report
I have done the Zermatt summer skiing. Only bizaar thing was having skis on the roof rack in the middle of July going over on the ferry. I was about 8 years old and don't remember too much but I think I enjoyed it. We did other activities as well.
snow report
Actually, I've skied some of those mentioned Very Happy I've also been to Engleberg, Hintertux, Kaprun, Tignes and Solden as well. Saas Fee's not so far from here although Les Diablerets is much closer, I'll probably try them in the summer.

For my money the skiing at Pitztal is the best and the Stubai is the nicest to be at.

Now I think I've some photo's from Solden here.
ski holidays
ise, great pics - how do you get them onto the net?
snow conditions
Jonpim, www.pbase.com
latest report
I skied Kaprun last May. Snow was fine until about 2pm. I got bored skiing after a day so swapped two planks for one and had fun lying in the sun in the middle of a piste Wink If you like golf, mountain biking, walking or more extreme stuff like white water rafting then it's great to combine them into a holiday.
snow report
Does skiing in May, in Scotland count as summer skiing????
snow report
sazza42, Yes, I actualy climbed Cairngorm in early June a couple of years ago in a blizzard and at the top there was 3' of snow in places.

The way the seasons are going at the moment though any skiing in Scotland will be classed as summer skiing (that's until the gulf stream shuts down).
snow report
For gradient and pace, I'd rate the glaciers at Hintertux, Tignes and Saas Fee best. Stubai, Solden and Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) aren't bad.

I'd agree with ise that the Stubaital is the nicest scenically. A lovely valley. The new Zermatt 6-seat chair on their glacier should improve the summer skiing there.
snow report
I spent 4 days of the August Bank Holiday 1990 skiing at Tignes. I had private lessons every day, which I found very useful. There is plenty of room in which to be virtuous and improve your skiing. (National teams were present doing their training.) It would be limited if someone was looking for wide open spaces. Other than that , the highlight of the day was just before skiing commenced when me and my instructor had to march, fully clad in ski gear, through a sun bathing area, at a cafe just below the snow line, teeming with people in bikinis - the girls looked especially fetching. The evenings were totally dead. I suppose you could use the afternoons to go riding or do something awful like play golf, but you probably first want to shower (it gets hot skiing on the glacier in the Summer!) and changed, which limits the time available for the afternoon.
snow conditions
We have been summer skiing for the last two years. As others have said the trick is not to expect it to be anything like winter skiing, just enjoy what is available, accept you can only ski the mornings and that it'll be a long trek to the snow, and don't be put off by all the National Teams whizzing past. Shocked

I was taken to Zermatt as a surprise for my 30th birthday (Aug bank hol) Very Happy , and we spent 3 mornings up on the glacier. had a variety of weather, from bright sunshine to complete white out and generally had fun. In the afternoons we went for walks, sunbathed, etc, very picturesque, a brilliant weekend and a great train ride to get there.

Last year we went to Tignes with some friends who have been there many times before in the summer. I'd say this was more interesting sking than on the Zermatt glacier, although not as picturesque, and the resort seemed more geared up for the recreational summer skier. It's easier to get to and from the snow (via the funicular), and there's also a huge range of other things to do in the afternoons. We did hyrospeeding (white water rafting but without a raft - just a float, must confess I was a spectator for this one!) and a high ropes course as well as various walks. But you could have played golf, tennis, boules, gone mountian biking, canoeing, sailing, or even ski jumped off a plastic slope into the lake!

The mountians are beautiful in the summer and as long as you look on it as a summer holiday with some skiing as a bonus then you'll have a great time.
snow report
thanks for all the responses. very useful. think I will probably try a long weekend in Tignes ( but may do Zermatt). Will think of it as a long weekend in the alps with some skiing thrown in for good measure. At least then I dont have to wait a whole 8 months before strapping on some skis again!
snow report
Terry Wells wrote :-
Quote:

teeming with people in bikinis - the girls looked especially fetching.

If the girls looked especially fetching in their bikinis Terry, how did the boys look in theirs?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was in La Thuile for a few days in June 2001. Fancied a morning's skiing so drove over the Petit Saint Bernard to Tignes, a pleasant hour and a quarter drive. Only to find out the glacier was closed. I always thought Tignes promoted itself on "skiing 365 days a year" ? I'm sure I had heard or read that before. After getting home I checked on Tignes web site to find the glacier was closed for 2 weeks in June, so just check before you travel !
latest report
Stupid question I suppose - but what do you wear? How many layers? Usual gloves, sunglasses, hat, etc?
snow report
Sue S, Depends really, in some cases you have to be more prepared than for winter skiing.

In Zermatt we experienced everything from bright sunshine and warmth, through sleet, snow and high winds to hail and a complete white out, and that was all in the space of half an hour! Shocked

Whilst in Tignes last year, sleeveless tops and copious amounts of suntan cream were required during coffee and we were skiing just in fleeces (well sallopetes too obviously! Wink )

It's best to go prepared for anything, wearing layers.

By the way Knee Deep, if you do ski for several days in Tignes, for a modest fee you can leave your skis in a little hut at the top of the funicular to save lugging them up there each day.
snow conditions
Anyone know where the nearest one to Evian is? I'll be there in September.
ski holidays
yes, Saas Fee at around 150km and Les Diablerets at around 60km. Saas Fee is reckoned to be better though.
latest report
Thanks. I shall do the necessary research (won't have a car so may not make either).
ski holidays
In yesterday's Guardian...

Land of the midnight run

Correspondent Matt Barr extends the winter sports season by heading to northern Sweden. Plus mentions for Iceland, Russia, Chile, New Zealand, Les 2 Alpes....
ski holidays
skanky, check that the resorts are open in September. Most are not as we need to rest the glaciers and also the numbers buying liftpasses are not really cost effective from the lift companies' point of view.
ski holidays
easiski - thanks for the warning. That's now the first thing that I'll check!
snow report
Quote:
we need to rest the glaciers
easiski, reckon they need more than a rest - a face-lift wouldn't go amiss, or perhaps 'enhancement surgery'!
latest report
Glacial botox
snow report
PG, You should see what they're doing to the summer lifts at the moment! The last 2 years they've had to reset the angles of the pylons to keep the cables running. Fascinating to watch! Madeye-Smiley

What's wrong with Les Deux Alpes by the way, the only people who seem to consider it for summer ski-ing are myself and PG - is this because we know it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy