Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt prices

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We decided to go to Zermatt after my brother had a few days summer skiing there in August and fell in love with the place.

Just seen a review of Zermatt in our local rag tonight, were I was extremely worried by a comment in the "eating out" part. It said £4 for a glass of beer!!! Now, I know when our kid was there in August it was about 5chf for a pint, and I would expect it to go up a bit for Winter.

What I'm really asking is, anyone familiar with the resort know how much the average beer is in ski season??? What started out as a cheap week in Wengen, we then decided to go to Zermatt instead, but it ain't looking at all cheap if it's £4 a glass. Just a bit worried, as as I say, it was supposed to be a cheaper week, with 2 holidays already booked, and the fact that beer is our biggest outgoing on holiday Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc,
Quote:

it was supposed to be a cheaper week
Razz
Not often an expression you see in the same sentence as Zermatt! I would expect between 5.50 and 6 CHF for a half litre.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Sparks,

I see you've off in a few days and the good news looks like some snow is due
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SZXX0042?dp=htempdp.

Hope all goes well, I'm off there on the 23rd Dec so keen to hear where the best places and cheaper places are.

It would be great if you could give us an update when you get back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charlatanefc, prices rarely go up in Switzerland, find out where your brother went to for his beer and use the same place, typically you find that hotel bars are a little cheaper than places that are just bars, like the uk they have to display their prices so you can check those out before ordering, note that whiskey (single malts) will be very expensive however.
snow report
 brian
brian
Charlatanefc, I was there in Feb last season. IIRC, typical large beer price was about 6 CHF, which at the time was under £3.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf is right that prices are stable in Switzerland. This also extends to altitude i.e. price do not go up exponentially as you go up the mountain as is the case in my experience of France.
HTH
eng
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a long time since I last went to Zermatt, however there used to be a bar in the village called the North Face which was a little basic but had the cheapest beer in town. Maybe somebody else will know if it is still around?.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, still going strong. It's the North Wall bar. There's a map on this site:

http://www.northwallbar.com/contact/contact.php

Charlatanefc, it's about 3 mins walk from the main bridge near the church, on the opposite side of the river from the church. You'll find lots of friendly company in there, and local workers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the 17th March 2005:-

Grampis (Spitfire sign above the door) is a pleasant and spacious family type bar with a restaurant upstairs. You can amble in without booking.

Half a litre of Cardinal (Eurofizz) was 5.90 CHF (about £2.75)
a 300cl mineral was 7.50 CHF (£3.50)
a half litre bottle of Edelweiss weissbier was 7.80 CHF (about £3.65)
a half litre bottle of Feldschlossen weissbier was 8.00 CHF,
a single Martell was 9.00 CHF (about £4.20)
a double brandy and lemonade, Mrs Dub's partiality, (ie 4cl of Martell and a 3dl bottle of Sprite) was 21.80 CHF (about £10)

A ham pizza was 17.50 CHF (about £8.20)

Hexen - witch themed bar and Grampis are both on the Bahnhofstrasse, turn right out of the station and dodge the milkfloats.

Our hotel bar charged 4 CHF for a 25cl bottle of Eurofizz they had got from the supermarket (ie c £8 a litre) and the same for a similar sized bottle of appletize.

A return ticket from Geneva to Zermatt was 178 CHF (about £83)

Zermatt is lovely, but take plenty of money...

...but they have got the Matterhorn, so thats allright. wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 23-11-05 19:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charlatanefc, if you want to do Zermatt on the cheap stay in Cervinia and bring a picnic over the mountain. I was in Cervinia last March with a Cervinia and Zermatt lift pass. It's an absolutely wonderful place but sure isn't cheap (I don't think anywhere is La Suisse is cheap!). The only think I thought was good value were the Matterhorn posters in the tourist office!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 6 day lift pass was 326 CHF, ie £152 more if you pay extra to ski over into the Cervinia area.

Mountain cafeteria prices on the Kliene Matterhorn area of the three are cheaper, maybe reflecting the Italian skiers attitude to value compared to Swiss.

Of course, all this relative value kind of stuff is relative to where you are in GB and where youve skied before. On the other hand if youre on a budget youve got to make sure it doesnt run out before the end of the week, which can put a damper on your holiday mood.

I personally found Zermatt just too expensive to feel I wasnt being taken advantage of - even in a high value economy like Switzerland - and that irritated me a bit, but given its aspect and architecture, heritage and status Im pleased Ive been.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in Zermatt last year, and the lift pass is expensive. It worked out at about £160 for the week. Eating on the mountain is expensive, I seem to remember about £25-30 per person for lunch, but worthwhile. I don't remember beers being particularly more expensive than any other ski resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc, if it has to be beer, then the posts above should help you figure out how much to bring.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 21-01-13 20:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies people! 5.5-6chf is A-OK!! Wink That was roughly what we paid in Wengen/Grindelwald last year. I know that the food tends to be expensive in Switzerland, and that the lift pass is quite expensive, but we've managed to do a very nice cheapy DIY for 9 days so we do have a wee bit of dollar to play with NehNeh

If that's the price of a beer, that's fine. After paying 7.50 Euro for a pint of local gnat's-wee-wee in La Plagne last year, it will seem like it's being given away Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy