Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime

Poster: A snowHead
Great to see snow on slopes on the webcams today and I believe they are open for business, let the fun begin for 2013/2014
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps we'd better point out to anyone searching and finding this new thread that there's another one from last year (Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2012/2013 Thread) running into numerous pages and packed with useful information. Not that opening a new one wasn't a good idea; it just needs a little time to get going. I'll be in Saalbach for most of the winter and am looking forward immensely to meeting and hopefully skiing (and après-skiing) with a few fellow snowHead s. We really ought to work on a 'funny handshake' or some other form of mutual recognition - I found last season that asking complete strangers if they are 'snowheads' sometimes evokes a bemused reaction.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am coming to Saalbach this year. Very excited Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I want to come to Saalbach for Christmas but its toooooo expensive Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be there on Jan 4th Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
December14th to 21st staying in hotel Christina. you can't miss me im 6"2 with a perm!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ ooo so is Tatman's Tours! Very Happy

Big group of 11 of us are staying at Berger's Sporthotel end of Feb. Cannot WAIT.

We were so lucky with the conditions in Feb this year, but even if we don't get a repeat of them, it'll still be awesome.

I absolutely love Saalbach!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rhumage wrote:
you can't miss me im 6"2 with a perm!!!

HoneyBunny wrote:
^ ooo so is Tatman's Tours!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore, Mistaken identity! Puzzled (I wish!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
26 work days until my first visit of the year in January (presuming the lottery win doesn't materialise prior to that !!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Season 10 in Saalbach about to start , just got to survive the next 6 days at work then freedom. Cannot wait Blush
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waistdeep, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Be great to get some updates from you during the season if you find the time Cool

On a personal note, I think I'd be more worried about surviving a season in Saalbach...well the liver would Skullie
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for the welcome

As they say older and wiser , pace yourselves its a long season ( but we just know that is not going to happen , guess its the Saalbach curse , Bobbies being a gravity field that lets you in but not out ) actually most bars are like that in Saalbach Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tatman's Tours I was just teasing Wink

Cacciatore, not tempted back this season? I still owe you a beating at the nail game!

waistdeep, funny, I experienced that same gravity field. Oddly enough, it appears the field can also reach across the Channel a year later haha. Welcome to snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HoneyBunny,
Quote:

Cacciatore, not tempted back this season? I still owe you a beating at the nail game!

I think he's still trying to get over Daisy!
ski holidays
Well not my leg, possibly...
latest report
I'm off to Hinterglemm next week (staying in the Pinzgaurhof) and can't wait.
I'm so excited that I read through the full 15 pages of last year's S-H thread and briefly these were the important points I took out of it:

Best Ski Hire: Hansi in Saalbach

Best runs: Blue 68, Blue 66, Blue 52- which coincidentally I believe all have good bars/ restaurants on them. Also 61 got a good write up. I'm also looking forward to heading over to Leogang, which sounds well worth the effort.

Difficult runs: Blacks 26 and 14 + the World Cup run on 15.

On Slope Food: Hecherhutte on 68 for Goulash soup, Grabbenhutte on 11a, Pfefferalm on 32a and Wilderkarkogel at the top of the Schonleitenbahn. But it sounds like you're spoilt for choice.

Early Apres Bars: On the slopes, Bergeralm on 66, Hinterhagalm on 52 (be careful where you leave your skis- some got stolen from here last year) in Saalbach and The Goastall in Hinterglemm.

Evening Bars: Bauers, Bobby's and The Underbar (live music?). These are all in Saalbach so I plan to head there on the Chalet Hosts night off, I believe the taxi is 12-15 Euros. Does a bus run in the evening as well? Can anyone recommend a good evening bar in Hinterglemm?

I'm hoping to get there by 3pm and therefore take advantage of the free final hour of the day with my week's lift pass.

I also note that there is good night skiing in Hinterglemm. Does anyone know which night this runs on and is it included in the regular lift pass?

Finally a couple of questions from the OH: is there a Christmas market running anywhere close and can anyone recommend somewhere which serves Fondues? You can see where her priorities lie!
If anyone is already out there please can you send out an idea of the conditions at the moment? Otherwise, roll on Saturday!
snow conditions
EdYarker, If you are in the Pinzgauerhof in Hinterglemm, it makes more sense to look at the ski rental from Snow & Fun or Gumpold, both next door to your accommodation, than drag all the way to Saalbach to rent.

The night skiing is every night (except Sunday) on the slopes by the U-Bahn (5 minutes from your accommodation, across the main street).

There is a Nightliner bus between Saalbach and Hinterglemm, but this is very infrequent and does not run every night. It may not start before the New Year. Check out the timetables at the bus stops.

There are numerous evening bars in Hinterglemm, assuming you survive the Goasstall. The Unterschwartzachhof is opposite the night skiing and just follow your nose from there.

Fondue - the only place I am aware of in Saalbach is Steiners Pub. You need to book in advance and there is a minimum requirement of 4 people, but the pub is cosy and the fondue is huge (meats, cheese, bread, salad, baked potato etc.) and costs £20-ish a head. Give the owner, Christian Eder, a call on 00 43 (0)6541 8596

No idea about Christmas Markets - possibly look at the Zell am See Tourist Office website. Zell is 30 mins away by bus, but the busses stop running quite early in the evening.

Conditions are good at the moment. The entire resort opened this weekend and today was blue skies and about zero degrees. Look at the webcams and weather pages on www.saalbach.com for up-to-date info.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 10-12-13 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Post deleted to avoid duplication

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-12-13 21:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
EdYarker,
Quote:

Best runs

Many also like piste 2a/2b down to Jausern (long and blue), piste 6 down from Schattberg Westgipfel down to Hinterglemm (long and red), piste 19 (blue, end of valley beyond Hochalm) and the runs down to the bottom at Leogang (blue/red/black, as you choose). But you will find good runs wherever you go in the area.
Quote:

Difficult runs

Number 26 is hardly worth a mention, being short and unchallenging. However number 1 (Schattberg North) should be included in your list.
Quote:

On Slope Food

You will also be very impressed with both the Alte Schmiede and the Asitzbraeu, at the top of the Leogang gondola. Probably also worth mentioning the Thurneralm, the Reiteralm, the Bergstadl, the Westgipfelhuette, the Gerstreitalm, the Ellmaualm, the Sonnhof, the Hintermaisalm and the Wieseralm - the list just goes on and you're unlikely to be disappointed with any of the mountain restaurants, which are of a uniformly high standard.
Quote:

Early Apres Bars

The Hinterhagalm may not kick off until Boxing Day, and pre-Christmas après-ski tends to be generally low-key, compared with the rest of the season, so don't expect wild parties. The compensation is the delightfully quiet and serene atmosphere pervading the villages and the mountains.
Quote:

Nightliner bus between Saalbach and Hinterglemm

You will find the timetable under the 'Ski Circus' tab - 'Good to Know' from the drop-down menu, on www.saalbach.com . However it says that it's applicable only from Christmas Day onwards. You can actually walk between Saalbach and Hinterglemm along the riverside walk which runs on the opposite side of the river from the road - about an hour and can be very enjoyable if the weather conditions are favourable. However taxis are easy to find and should cost only about 4 euros each (based on 4 people).
latest report
EdYarker,
Quote:

good evening bar in Hinterglemm

We enjoyed the Glemmerkeller (live music) last season.
Quote:

night skiing

The night skiing is included in your lift pass - ski your legs off!
Quote:

Christmas market

Saalbach has a Christmas market, don't know about Hinterglemm, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
Quote:

Fondues

These are a speciality of the Baeckstaettstall in Saalbach, possibly also the Kohlmaisstub'n. Don't know about Hinterglemm.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 10-12-13 1:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I will stick with Snow & Fun for rental as I can see it's right by the lift and therefore near our hotel.
It looks like we will struggle to have time to enjoy all the great on slope hostelries but I'll give it a go! I've also been recommended somewhere at the top of the Leogang run which does rotisserie chickens- maybe that's the Alte Schiede?

I intend to get a bit of night skiing in early and have added 2a/2b, 6 and 19 to my list, but will try to get round all runs at some point. Thanks for the re-assurance about the current conditions Quinton.

It looks like it might not be quite up to it's normal Apres Ski livliest yet but that's only to be expected before Christmas. We can concentrate on the food (cheers for the fondue suggestions) instead!

Oh, I've also been advised that the toboganning in Hinterglemm's a 'must try'. Can anyone second that?
snow conditions
Definitely the Alte Schmiede and the Asitzbraeu have to be seen to be believed, they're so beautiful.

The night skiing in Hinterglemm is fab, it's as clear as day. I'm so glad I tried it, it's such an experience, and I'm sure it's the longest floodlit run I've seen.

Amazing runs everywhere (blue 68 shhhhhhh), and that apres.......!
ski holidays
EdYarker,
Quote:

rotisserie chickens

That's a little open-air place just to the side of the top gondola station at Leogang. 5 euros for half a chicken from memory - cheap and cheerful. Don't know if it will be up and running before Christmas. The Asitzbraeu restaurant, which is only 50 meters away (opposite the Alte Schmiede) is highly recommended for its chicken and chips - 7 euros from memory.
Quote:

toboganning in Hinterglemm

It's very popular, and most people think it's enormous fun (although personally I have a tobogganing 'blind spot' and can only wish that I could share their enthusiasm). You hire a toboggan from the Reiterkogelbahn lift station, and the toboggan run starts from the top of the gondola, bringing you down a windy track, which takes you past the Pfefferalm, where you can take a pit-stop, and back down past the Goassstall to the lift station. It runs in the evenings after the lifts have closed until around 10pm (I think)
latest report
And sometimes you get the odd riderless toboggan whistling by... Laughing
latest report
Thanks Tatman's Tours, I will probably give the tobogganning a try seeing that it's so close to my hotel and won't get in the way of skiing if I go one evening.
I really appreciate all the detailed advice. It should make for an awesome trip.
snow report
EdYarker, The rotisserie chickens are sold by .... 'The Chicken Man' - an open-air ensemble at the top of the Leogang Asitz gondola. Directly in front of you as you step out of the lift (or on your right-hand side past the Asitzbrau if you are skiing in from Saalbach).
snow conditions
EdYarker, The rotisserie chickens are great from asitzbraeu aswell, which I can testify from eating there on a number of occasions last year and eating nothing else!

I was only told about 'the chicken man' on my last day, but believe fantastic and great value, so my first stop in January
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am now looking forward to meeting 'The Chicken Man' more than anything else on my holiday!
snow report
All this talk of chicken makes me hungry. Eat, Ride, Rave Repeat x 7
latest report
will be in Saalbach today ...... yes!
ski holidays
Question?what is the best way to get a good deal on ski hire in Saalbach all adults travelling on 4th jan skis and boots required?
ski holidays
The tobogganing is really good fun - definitely worth a try. I'm surprised people manage to avoid serious injury doing it though!
ski holidays
conditions are brilliant here, good days skiing today, off to zell tomorrow.
snow report
armoski, Go to Hansi's Best-Price, which is next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom end of the main village street. Tell Hansi that I recommended you to him and he will give you a 20% discount. His equipment is good and is new each year. Also he speaks good English, is very experienced and will give you his personal attention and any advice you need (and also a welcome schnapps from the bar in his shop).
snow report
Just arrived in Saalbach this lunch time after a long drive yesterday and this morning , temps are cold and I have been told the piste skiing is good. Will have a venture out tomorrow once I have got the apartment sorted and if I get out of Bobbies early enough.
snow report
waistdeep, Ditto! Just debating whether to shake off the 'jet lag' to venture out to Bobby's. If I do, I may cause bemusement by approaching any likely looking fellow-imbibers and asking them if they're 'waist deep'.
ski holidays
[quote="Tatman's Tours"]armoski, Go to Hansi's Best-Price, which is next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom end of the main village street. Tell Hansi that I recommended you to him and he will give you a 20% discount. His equipment is good and is new each year. Also he speaks good English, is very experienced and will give you his personal attention and any advice you need (and also a welcome schnapps from the bar in his shop).[/q]uote
Thanks for that ill give him a try!!
ski holidays
+ 1 for Hansi....just try and avoid steering/veering right on leaving after the schnapps.....Bobby's handily beckons. Last season a 10 minute ski hire purchase turned into a 12 hour session Shocked Laughing
snow report
The tobogganning has to be done - the best night we had in Saalbach for sure Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy