Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : HokkaidOH! 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing rungsp
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Mike, booked Thursday through to Monday 😎
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The forecast is changing by the hour at the moment.

Looks like heavy rain top to bottom on Friday.

Then the snow is coming. But wind too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAY 123 : SUNDAY 30 MARCH 2014

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

It was raining when I woke, so I took the day off snow.

The rain turned to very light snow in the afternoon.

DAY 124 : MONDAY 31 MARCH 2014

March saw 151 cm (59") of snowfall at MQ, the 3rd lowest total in the eight winters I've been collecting data.

The highest total was in March 2010 when 271 cm (107") fell.

A skiff of new snow had settled at MQ overnight but I was on the road to Lake Shikotsu and a solo skin & ski of Mt Eniwa-dake.

The route up (green) and down (red) of Mt Eniwa-dake

The peak of Mt Eniwa-dake from the skin track

East Face of Mt Eniwa-dake with Lake Shikotsu in the background

The volcanic vents, chutes and snow of the East Face bowl

My line

Mt Eniwa-dake from lakeside

Mt Tarumae and Mt Fuppushi-dake from lakeside

The skin up was straightforward and straight up. A few tricky sections towards the summit. Took 3 hrs.

The ski in the East face bowl was great with a solid platform and spring snow. The line goes top to bottom but not at this time of the year.

I cut back to the skin track and the descent through the trees was hard work. Breakable crust and knee deep slush in tight trees.

With mid-winter powder it would be excellent.

Mt Eniwa-dake Solo 1

http://youtube.com/v/b3fhKXtQnHk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAY 125 : TUESDAY 01 APRIL 2014

Cool and sunny today but also very windy, with the upper lifts on wind hold all day.

After yesterday's exertions I took a day off to recover.

DAY 126 : WEDNESDAY 02 APRIL 2014

The wind died down overnight and the morning broke clear, so it was back to Mt Eniwa-dake for another solo skin & ski.

After skiing the East Face on Monday, today I was looking to find the lost resort of Mt Eniwa, host to the Men's & Women's Downhill skiing events at the 1972 Sapporo Winter Olympics.

The drive around Lake Shikotsu was spectacular this morning with the waters calm and crystal clear

Mt Eniwa-dake
(the East Face Bowl and ascent ridge on the right hand side of the peak)

Mt Tarumae and Mt Fuppushi-dake

Mt Fuppushi-dake's 'E.T. Couloir'

Mt Eniwa-dake

The East Face bowl

Today's route - walk (green) and ski (red)

Rt 78, closed until 05 May 2014

Avalanche path off the summit

Rt 78 is closed to traffic but is plowed clean at least to the 6 km marker (of 9.1 km).

That's how far I walked down the road trying to get sight of the Olympic runs.

Nothing.

And with Mt Eniwa-dake being volcanic, the gullies separating the many faces of the mountain are deep and steep sided.

A no go to traversing around.

So I turned around and walked 3km back up the road until I got to a car parking area where I put on the skins and headed up the mountain to make some turns.

The snow was solid and the skin up quick and easy.

Went up to just below the summit ridge and then dropped in to the trees that took me back to the road.

Great pitch and nicely spaced trees, with some fun gullies and steeper shots.

Turns out the Olympic venue is at the end of the road, 9.1 km

There's a storm rolling through this weekend and the next clear day is early next week.

Looking to head back on Tuesday, this time with a bike to finally see what's left of the '72 Olympics venue.

The search continues.

Mt Eniwa-dake Solo 2

http://youtube.com/v/hvt_ePNUm8k

DAY 127 : THURSDAY 03 APRIL 2014

A cool grey day in the Niseko Resort Area with mist & drizzle rolling in around 11 am

Greg Heptonstall went up the mountain this morning and reported awful conditions.

A good day to be indoors.

Had the buffet lunch at Prativo in Higashiyama, which as always was great.

DAY 128 : FRIDAY 04 APRIL 2014

I woke at 6am to the rain hammering down on the roof here at MQ.

It's eased off a little but there's more on the way before the temperature plumments and the snow returns.

30 cm forecast this evening into tomorrow, so fingers crossed we see the return of powder and face shots Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DAY 129 : SATURDAY 05 APRIL 2014

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The rain stopped around mid-afternoon yesterday and turned to very fine snow soon after.

But as has happened far too often this season it was accompanied by very high winds which blew what little snow had fallen all over the place.

I woke to winter views this morning and the heating went back on for the first time in a week.

The 30 cm that had been forecast hadn't materialised and with the high winds still raging in the Niseko Resort Area - which closed all the upper lifts all day - I headed to Kiroro Snow World on my own to see what was on offer.

The car park was white and quiet and the slopes were covered with a new layer of powder.

No spring crunch underfoot Smile

Only the bottom three quads and the backside uncovered double were operating today, and after a couple of laps on the groomed runs and the fringes I headed into 'Walk in the Woods' to see what I could find.

12 days with no snow
Sunshine
Warm temperatures
Rain

and after 1 storm I got boot to boot top powder all day, with knee deep turns and face shots each run.

Stay Another Day

http://youtube.com/v/v4c89zbDxCA

It was snowing as I left and I'll be heading back over tomorrow.

Hopefully the gondola will be running.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DAY 130 : SUNDAY 06 APRIL 2014

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The wind that almost cracked 'Eggshell' - the proper name for MQ in Higashiyama - Friday night into Saturday morning moved north overnight keeping the Kiroro Snow World upper lifts closed for the second consecutive day, but more importantly flattening all of yesterday's powder Sad

It was boot deep at best today but on the plus side the groomed runs were in perfect mid-winter condition.

I came back to Higashiyama mid-afternoon and 5cm had already fallen.

And it's coming down hard and straight as I type.

The upper lifts in the Niseko United ski area have been closed for the past two days too, and with tomorrow forecast to be sunny it's going to be a tough call to decide where to ski.

Watch this space.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DAY 131 : MONDAY 07 APRIL 2014

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Spring returned to the Niseko Resort Area this morning with sunshine, blue skies and fresh powder.

It was the same at Kiroro Snow World for Ian and me, unfortunately we didn't get the memo that as from today the gondola will only open on weekends Sad

We warmed up on the groomed runs which were excellent, but after only one run in the trees off the Nagamine chair ski patrol was on us like poo-poo on a stick.

Not surprising really as we were the only ones skiing off the groomed runs.

Glen Claydon reported fun turns off the peak at Hirafu this morning but with Hanazono closed for the season, it was cutback central to make the Hirafu lifts.

Hirafu Burn from 360niseko
http://vimeo.com/91372555
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DAY 132 : TUESDAY 08 APRIL 2014

With clear skies and no wind overnight I set off before dawn for another day out on Mt Eniwa-dake on Lake Shikotsu.

For my third visit this winter I was trying to find the runs cut for the Men's & Women's Downhill skiing events at the 1972 Sapporo Olympics.

Mt Eniwa-dake across Lake Shikotsu

The plan today was to cycle the closed Rt 72 9.1 km down to the lake, hike up the mountain, ski down, and then cycle back out to the car.

The route by bike & hike (green) and ski (red)

On the way down to the lake I passed by what would have been the base area for the downhill events.

True to the organising committe's aim there was no trace that runs, lifts and buildings had once been there.

Quote:
The downhill venue, Mount Eniwa, was created expressly for the Olympic competition. However,
immediately after the Games, the mountain was returned to its pristine state in compliance with local
conservation laws. It cost $2 million to construct and dismantle the 2 downhill runs, 2 cable cars, and
chairlift.

Mt Eniwa Aerial photo

Mt Eniwa Trail map

1972 Sapporo Olympics Men's Downhill

http://youtube.com/v/uYZYTo84y5o

I continued down to the lake and had a little walk around a closed campsite before hiking up the trail into one of the SW facing gullies

Entrance to the closed lakeside campsite

The cabins

The view of my line on Mt Eniwa-dake from the shoreline of Lake Shikotsu

Moonrise over Mt Eniwa-dake

Mt Eniwa-dake Solo 3

http://youtube.com/v/cMEKvQxvHk8
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAY 133 : WEDNESDAY 09 APRIL 2014

A hazy day in the Niseko Resort Area.

Took the day off snow and went exploring the Lake Toya area and the peaks of the Kariba Mountainous District above the fishing village of Shimamaki on the SW coast.

Lake Toya

DAY 134 : THURSDAY 10 APRIL 2014

Heavy rain hammering against the roof woke me at 4am.

It stopped raining around 8am and it was blustery and sunny for the rest of the day with a ight dusting up snow up high.

DAY 135 : FRIDAY 11 APRIL 2014

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The vilage was white again this morning but it didn't last long in the Spring sunshine.

I spent the morning skiing Niseko Hirafu with local photographer Glen Claydon.

The top up of new snow certainly improved conditions with great turns off the Ace # 3 double chair, but high winds kept the top lifts closed all day

Yours truly in a Glen Claydon pic

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mt Eniwa-dake, looks very imposing from the road into the airport.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, certainly steeper and more rugged than most of the peaks in the area.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAY 136 : SATURDAY 12 APRIL 2014

The upside of the Kiroro Snow World gondola being closed during the week is the snow that fell this week covered up and smoothed out the spring crunch.

Expecting a day on the groomed runs, Ian and I were pleasantly surprised with the 5-15 cm of untracked powder in 'Hangman'.

A great way to finish the season at Kiroro.

Ian

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breathtaking photos, as ever Mike. Also nice to see you getting some final pow in!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks ChrisWo.

Surprise powder. We like surprises Smile
snow conditions
DAY 137 : SUNDAY 13 APRIL 2014

For my final day on snow this Hokkaido winter I drove 90 min south west to the coastal fishing village of Shimamaki, the gateway to the Kariba Mountainous District.

In the winter months the road beyond Chihasegawa Hot Spring onsen is closed, so it was a 9km (2hr) skin on a very gradual gradient to the car park area for the Garo-no-Taki waterfall and the base of Higashikaribayama (1319 m).

A further 2 hr skin took me to the summit of Higashikaribayama and fantastic views of Mt Kariba (1520 m), the Sea of Japan, and the Niseko Range from Iwanai to Mt Yotei.

Mt Kariba

The Sea of Japan and the Shakotan Peninsula

Mt Obira (I think)

There was a crew of snowmobilers out who rode to the top of Higashikaribayama and if you had access to a snowmobile the travel time from Chihasegawa Hot Spring onsen to the summit would be about 30 mins.

The skiing was great.

A light covering of dry powder up high and corn down low.

Higashikaribayama

Mt Fumonnai

The Kariba Mountainous District

The Hokkaido Backcountry Club are hoping to offer cat & heliskiing in this area in the future and it certainly has the above treeline terrain suitable for all ability levels.

Who knows, it could become the 'Haines of Hokkaido'

Seasons in the Sun

http://youtube.com/v/NgD6OtkbA1I

DAY 138 : MONDAY 14 APRIL 2014

I took the day off snow cleaning MQ and sorting out what I'm taking back home to Wales.

DAY 139 : TUESDAY 15 APRIL 2014

Homeward bound after another fantastic winter in the Shiribeshi area of Hokkaido.

The total snowfall I recorded at MQ in Higashiyama, Niseko Resort Area (~ 300 m) this season was

13.58 m (535")

The mean for the 8 winters I've been measuring is 14.27 m (562").

So slightly below "average" Wink

Late November into mid-December we had three rain events which wiped out the snowpack down low. Took a while for all the sasa (bamboo grass) to be covered up.

Biggest change this winter was the increase in wind events resulting in lift closures and sometimes whole resort closures.

Despite the above, the powder was excellent.

I skied 100 days, of which 63 were knee deep or deeper powder days.

Not many areas in the world have that consistency.

The 2013/14 List :

Ski Areas

Asarigawa Onsen (2), Kiroro Snow World (3Cool, Niseko Moiwa (10), Niseko United (30), Rusutsu (9), Otaru Tenguyama (1), Sapporo Kokusai (3), Sapporo Teine (1)

Heliskiing

Shiribetsudake with the Hokkaido Backcountry Club (1)

Ski Touring

Kariba Mountainous District (1), Mt Eniwa (3), Tengudake (1)

Many thanks to all those I skied with for their patience when I was taking pics and video.

And it might not be over for this winter.

I'm hoping for a late season ski in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales.

Last season I skied on 15 May Smile

SR : Wales 2013 / 14
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104178
ski holidays
The Lad had a great time in Niseko, and the credit for that winds its way back to Mike Pow, because without these annual threads we simply would not have really known about skiing in Japan.

Thanks Mike!

Here is a highlights package of his season, as videos go I rather like it (though natually biased) as I think it does manage to communicate how much fun was had.

Blink and you'll miss me..

http://youtube.com/v/xYZC8eswpCw
snow report
My pleasure.

Great to see that you all got the goods.

The vid definitely captured that Smile
snow report
Great vid from Glen Claydon at 360Niseko of Pepijn paragliding off Mt Youtei in April.

Winging if off Mt.Yotei, 2 April 2014 from 360niseko
http://vimeo.com/98389563

And here's the post

http://360niseko.com/blog/winging-it-off-mt-yotei/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy